Author Topic: 1. The Okonomiyaki Raid  (Read 8193 times)

Offline Childe

• Honorary Mod
  • Even forever must end, I think. ...
    • View Profile
    • Legend RPG, Rule of Cool Gaming
1. The Okonomiyaki Raid
« on: July 09, 2013, 11:25:42 PM »
The Okonomiyaki Raid

What began as a fairly slow lunch hour has taken a turn for the worse. Half a dozen customers fill the store: most are reliable, frequent customers, who chat with the employees, making small talk about work that day, the rather unpleasant weather in the area the past week, and similar topics.

"---and then he stepped in dog crap."
"What a loser!"
"How about I skip the okonomiyaki and we just go back to my place?"
"Did you hear? Mr. Ito died last night. Heart attack. They found him this morning after he missed the board meeting. "
"So Akiyama is the new director."
"Matsuoka."
"What?! Seriously?!"
"I could take him."
"Hotshot! You couldn't take a toddler!"
"Jealous! I could take anyone. It just isn't the right moment."

Suddenly, sirens wail on the streets outside, and the crack of bullets tears through the shop, much like the actual bullets themselves tearing through your shop. And, man, is it a a lot of bullets. Like, it's kind of a ridiculous amount of bullets. In fact, just before he falls to the ground, shot right in the chopstick, Mr. Yamaguchi exclaims, "Aha! Look at the ridiculous number of bullets which are pouring through this shop located in Osaka that you own!," which you find a little odd because his mouth was only moving for two seconds.

The large picture window explodes in a shower of glass and lead as a police car jumps the curb and soars through the shattered window, machine guns blazing from every window. The customers dive for cover, but screams still fill the air as a few unfortunates are caught in the deadly barrage. You manage to successfully take cover behind the bar as two more police cars pull up outside. On the hood of the car inside the shop, you can make out the twisted backwards remains of the store letters: Love Okonomiyaki Good Shop! This morning was a happier time.

Thankfully the bar is bulletproof, providing cover as you hide behind it. In the kitchen behind the bar a number of dishes and pans of oil are still cooking, and the late lunch crowd is due to arrive in just a few minutes from the nearby subway station. The subway might also be a way out. It always seemed like a good idea to build that hatch over the tracks that pass under the shop.

(click to show/hide)
"You had a tough day at the office. So you come home, make
yourself some dinner, smother your kids, pop in a movie, maybe
have a drink. It's fun, right? Wrong. Don't smother your kids."
- The More You Know

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: 1. The Okonomiyaki Raid
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 10:17:40 PM »
Ignoring the fracas behind him, Mayne leans with his back against the bar and picks up a wooden bowl, poking his finger through a neat bullet hole in the side. "Well, this is fantastic. Shit like this always happens to me. Get this -- this morning, I was tying my shoes on the way to work, and my god damn shoelace broke. I mean, what the hell, right? Luckily there was a little kid going to school... I paid him a nickel for his laces and fixed mine. But... you know? Like I needed any other shit today."

He absently tosses the bowl up over the bar, where it floats harmlessly through the air -- until it's hit by a stray bullet, ricochets, and slams into a police car windshield with the force of a pitched softball. Mayne doesn't notice.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 10:56:39 PM »
Seeing everyone else ducking behind the counter, Lena follows suit. She says, completely serious, "That's odd. I didn't remember ordering any bullets. Did any of you order any bullets?"

A small fairy floating near her made a facepalm and shook her head. "They're trying to kill us, stupid." Nox says to her bakka master.

"Oh, then I guess I can't be their friends." Lena says, looking disappointed. Then a gleam enters her eyes. "So do we get to break them into little pieces?"
Hmm.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 11:09:44 PM »
"Hey! I washed those windows this morning, jackass!" Strell yells over the end of Mayne's rant, poking his head out from behind the bar to convey his anger more efficiently. A mug shatters nearby and he ducks back down, blood trickling down his cheek from a stray pottery shard. "Seriously, it took like...half an hour at least."

Turning back to Mayne and pulling a submachine gun out from under his jacket, he adds conversationally, "Hey buddy, can you grab the magazines? I think I left some by the sauces."
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 11:23:26 PM »
Mayne looks at Strell coldly. "Do I look like your god damn servant?" He rolls his eyes and army-crawls over to the sauce rack, sliding a couple clips across the floor to his coworker.

Offline Greybender

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 05:27:51 AM »
Aine blindly sifts through the bar, searching for a whiskey bottle, she finds one with its neck blown off and pours it spillingly into her always ready drinking vessel. She pulls out a cigarette and lights it up with her laser, making a few deep puffs, while sipping down on her whiskey. It had been years since the last attack on the bar and that one had been much more subtle, she hoped she had saved enough money to repair it, once this had been dealt with. She turns to Haku:

"Say Haku darling, would you be a dear and switch to combat mode?"
She takes another sip and turns to Lena and the others:

"Lena sweetie you can break them into as many pieces as you want to, but do let one or two alive, so we can figure out why the F***! they are killing our customers."

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 10:20:07 PM »
"I do not believe that I have a non-combat mode," Haku replied, stretching and making sure that the gloves were, quite literally, off. Customers complained when their food dissolved their tongue, so she had learned to prevent any acid from making contact with the meal whilst cooking, "Though the fact that we have been attacked, for what I can only surmise is a fairly obvious reason, raises the question of why we had normal plate glass windows. Why not reinforce them?"

"I'm going to get a closer look," the robot said, languidly rising to her feet and attempting to head towards the police to evaluate the exact force they were facing, hopefully avoiding detection. Of course, her hair ought to make her stand out, but it was amazing what you could do with some practice, skill, and being made out of technologically and magically advanced materials.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 06:49:28 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 09:43:31 AM »
Strell watches Haku slip out with some disappointment. Almost as an afterthought, he pops up from behind the counter and squeezes off a few shots into the legs of one of the nearest cops. "What?" he says, glancing back over his shoulder. "Either they don't pay attention to me and I shoot them or they don't pay attention to her and she murders them with her acid sweat."

(click to show/hide)

Offline Greybender

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 07:08:03 PM »
Aine looks forward towards seeing Haku fight, she finishes what was left of the whiskey and starts moving to draw the fire upon her and tries to distract the cops. "Mayne, honey I know you're not much of a fighter, so please try not to get yourself killed, if you find a chance to escape, there is a hatch in the freezer, that will lead you to the subway." She moves out of the bar and throws her empty glass at one of the cops, before she fires her laser at him. She then jumps into the cleaning closet and takes cover, "I hope the walls are thick enough here", she thinks to herself, as she prepares to move again.

(click to show/hide)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 05:36:33 PM »
Looking very offended, Mayne scoops up a large plate. "Whaddya mean I'm not a fighter? I'm awesome at fighting! Watch!" He hurls the plate frisbee-style at one of the cops in front. It's a poor throw, caroming off the ceiling and one of the walls and slamming into the other cop.

Mayne pretends that was what he intended from the very beginning, and mutters something about "...and nothing but net!"

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 05:38:41 PM by sirpercival »

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 07:19:56 PM »
"You'll never take us alive, coppers! Your puny live ammunition that is murderizing our lovely patrons means nothing before me!"

She moves behind the counter in the direction Aine went, all the while laughing maniacally. "You can't even TOUCH the Great Lena and Friends!(TM)"
Her hands glow a faint blue, and then the very air in her vicinity glows as well for a brief moment.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 01:11:51 AM by skydragonknight »
Hmm.

Offline Childe

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 07:18:04 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Haku's question goes unanswered as she makes her way behind the cops, most of whom don't even seem to see her walking in plain sight. The Sergeant - clearly identifiable as such by his badge - barks to his men, "Don't just stand there! Break that robot! She's right behind you," gesturing toward Haku. From her vantage point, she can see that this is clearly all the forces present, at least for now.

Strell's shots find their mark, hitting hard enough to take the cop off his feet. It's a grisly sight, to be sure. We all hope his feet will be reattached someday. His partner stares in disbelief until he's shocked back to reality first by a shattering glass and then by a laser, which narrowly misses him, singing his eyebrows. Unfortunately, you can't quite tell now if he's surprised or angry. Maybe both. His moment is short-lived when a plate lodges itself in his arm. There's still food on it. That can't be good.

The return fire comes fast and heavy. The Sergeant leads the assault, charging toward Haku, where he points for his men: "Right here, god damn it. Fire!" Joining the raid, Officer Mitsuharu Shunji slides over the hood of one of the vehicles, gunning almost casually. Really, today is no different from any other. His shots barely make it, but with the rapid ping of metal, Haku is hit. Three more cops crowd around, firing at their Sergeant's command. Despite their point-blank target, one finds his shot go wide and into the wall of the Okonomiyaki shop, still unable to see the damn robot the Sergeant keeps yelling about. The Sergeant himself joins the bloodbath at the front of the shop. Almost immediately you hear, "God damn it, Hiroichi! You bumped into me." Hiroichi did not.

Our be-footed friend drags himself on top of the nearby table, intent on getting revenge. He lines up his shot carefully, and though for a moment hesitation crosses his mind, his anger and desperation are too great (what will his wife think? How will he provide for his son's education now, after today?). In his bitter rage, his bullet seems to pack additional force as it drives into Strell's shoulder.

Inspired by his comrade's drive, Mr. Plate focuses on Lena... but... just can't... no.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 07:25:28 PM by Childe »
- The More You Know

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 10:35:06 PM »
As he approached, the Sergeant would find that the girl he wanted to draw attention to had just lashed out with somewhat alarming speed, and there was a high probability that he was now sporting some nasty acid burns.

"I only wanted to talk," the robot reproachfully reprimanded, stoically taking the impact and watching as her bits of flesh sloughed off. Great; yet more people would stop and stare at the gleaming chrome beneath; as if she didn't already get enough attention for being a lanky albino, "But since you don't seem to be willing to listen..."

Drawing herself up to her full height for a second, Haku then plunged her finger into the ground--ground that promptly cracked and shattered, the force radiating outwards as she found herself in a shallow pit. Not only was the ground beneath the police officers unstable and dented, they were peppered with shrapnel from the action.

"... you'll just have to die!"

That done, the gynoid slipped into a defensive posture, keeping an eye on the officers and considering if there was any way to deal with being surrounded.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:53:15 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 10:29:13 AM »
"Ow! Freaking..." Strell pulls back his jacket, glowering at the bleeding hole in his shoulder. "Oh yeah, I'm going to make body armor that covers just the chest, because no one ever gets shot in the arm!" Heedless of his own safety, he sends another small storm of bullets in the cop's direction, with one more aimed at the hand just for emphasis. Reaching back below the bar with his free hand, he pulls a bundled ball of silver wire out of the cash register and hurls it toward the mass of cops near Haku, where it springs open neatly between their legs into a tripping hazard set at ankle level.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 10:32:56 AM by Bozwevial »

Offline Greybender

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 12:36:09 PM »
   Aine comes out of the closet holding a cleaning spray and looks around the shop, seeing three little onis floating above Haku, Strell and Mayne, she yells:

"You're late you little bastards, where have you been so long?" The green one with a martial belt above Haku points to the red one with a cowboy hat above Strell, who is holding a lasso, with which he captures the golden one with a smiling face and silver tongue who was licking leftover ice from his chin and now bluffs innocence, but his bluff is met with an angry look from Aine.

Observing Hakus fighting technique and Maynes enthusiam she gets pretty exuberant herself.
She throws the cleaning spray towards the Sergeant yelling: "Get out of my shop you nutbags!", she sets her laser to maximum power and aims it at the Sergeants head, a quick blue burst comes out of her hand, considerably increasing the temperature in the shop. She then goes into the ladies room, to freshen up a bit, since firing lasers at such a close range produces quite a sweat.
(click to show/hide)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 09:39:10 AM »
In a fit of schadenfreude, Mayne sniggers at Strell's misfortune. Then he looks to where Haku is surrounded (or at least in her general direction) and shouts, "Don't worry, my shiny metal lady! I'll rescue you!"

He vaults the bar in a surprising display of agility, then hurtles precariously toward the clump, hands straight in action-movie-cliché karate chop position. Sadly, he fails to account for the intervening furniture, and bounces off an overturned table at an odd angle, careening into one of the policemen and knocking him off-balance.

(click to show/hide)

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 01:25:13 AM »
"Haku! Don't give up! Believe in the power of friendship!" Lena says as a wave of sparkles fly out of her outstretched hand, forming the images of cute kittens in the air as they quickly flew through the air to Haku and licked her robotic wounds clean with the sparkly magic of kittens that sparkle. Their tongues still felt like sandpaper though.

She doesn't quite notice that Strell was injured as well- instead her eyes are fixed on the bloodbath, soaking it all in and savoring every moment that these villains of the law are being forcefully taught the power of friendship. After all, nothing teaches friendship like a swift and thorough group beating. <3

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 01:28:07 AM by skydragonknight »
Hmm.

Offline Childe

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2013, 12:45:44 AM »
Haku manages to strike the sergeant, but her efforts do little to stop the assault against her, barely tarnishing the sergeant's fancy badge. The police look around confused after Haku's barrage of firepower but by bizarre coincidence far removed from precognition remain on their feet, except for one, who crashes to the floor.

Strell's shot finds an easy target, setting the feud between him and the cop in stark terms as the cop falls lifelessly to the ground.* But it's Aine's shot against the Sergeant that draws everyone's attention. Aine's laser doesn't quite connect with the Sergeant's head - a pleasant grace in his opinion - yet only by the the strength that comes with the badge does he even survive the onslaught. The blast drives into his chest and is quite literally scattered by his badge, but the dispersal isn't all for his best: the energy washes over his body, wracking him with pain, ripping his muscles apart. As the light diffuses, his charred, ragged body steps bitterly forward as if to say, "Is that all you bastards got?" He moves his mouth, perhaps to speak, but no words come out; and he settles on a grim scowl for the moment.

Perhaps to Mayne's great dismay, his comical fumbling, effective as it might be, is overshadowed by this hellish turn. Nevertheless, his unintended dive-tackle manages to elicit an internal cracking from the cop's body.

What's left of the muscle's in the sergeant's neck draw tight - in a disconcertingly visible manner - and he rolls his neck back to force the air into speech: "After - That - Bitch." The cops draw down without a word on everything that stands in their path, and unleash hell.

"Left flank," Shunji shouts. Like a mechanical whole, the cops pivot and fire on Strell. Although half of them manage to miss - tearing up the bar in the process - those who hit hit hard. It's clear the cops intend to make this no-paperwork affair systematically simple, killing each of you as efficiently as possible.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
- The More You Know

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2013, 04:08:47 PM »
An offhand attempt to backhand an officer for shooting completely failed to achieve anything, but Haku's attention was more on the Sergeant. why the hell hadn't he died already?

"Just drop already, you insufferable cretin!" Haku snapped, snapping her leg up and somehow crossing the intervening gap, balanced for just a second on one hand, before slamming the acidic limb into the side of his head in a manner that suggested she'd be extremely annoyed if it didn't just snap off. Just as quickly, she was back in a defensive position, staring at the remaining cops through half-lidded eyes, smirking.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 05:32:05 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 02:41:40 AM »
Strell jerks back and forth under the impact of multiple gunshots, somehow managing to level his own gun at the Sergeant - treacherous, vile Sergeant! - and empty the magazine as a last defiant gesture before staggering through the swinging doors to the kitchen and collapsing. After a second, the realization that he isn't actually dead dawns. "...Huh." He manages to pull himself to his feet. This is more difficult than normal, as there's enough blood on the floor to make the health inspector faint.1

On the grounds that taking cover would probably be more effective than standing there for everyone to shoot, except possibly in Mayne's case, Strell slips into the men's bathroom under cover of the firefight, sneaking a peek at the hidden compartment where...it...is kept.

1. Although the current outbreak of lead poisoning would probably do the job more quickly.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 02:45:59 AM by Bozwevial »