Author Topic: Looking for help in cleric trickery / arcane trickster rogue!  (Read 6343 times)

Offline Zentdiam

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Looking for help in cleric trickery / arcane trickster rogue!
« on: September 15, 2015, 08:59:43 PM »
So I have an idea to make a deep gnome rogue arcane trickster / cleric of trickery for the new Underdark campaign. I wanted the idea of a thief who uses magic but wanted a little more than just arcane trickster. I was thinking of taking arcane trickster 3 or 4 then going all cleric of trickery.
My concern is I'll lag too far behind in usefulness, especially damage, and am thinking of switching to cleric 2 , 3, or 4 and the rest arcane trickster. Right now I'm lvl 2 with a level of each, started rogue. I rolled ridiculous stats so don't worry about the char being mad dependent. Was looking around at ideas but didn't see a lot on the cleric rogue hybrid. Any thoughts?

Offline Wilb

• Elder Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for help in cleric trickery / arcane trickster rogue!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 06:52:40 AM »
I'd say it depends on the remaining party composition, and how you want to proceed to achieve your "damage usefulness" during combat. As you're torn between a melee burst and a magic heavy approach, knowing the other characters in kinda important to know if you'll fall too short or to settle on a method to achieve your objectives with your guy.
Lovely Zoma...

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 06:15:16 PM »
It's do-able.

I was playing a Fighter 1 / Lore Bard 4
and felt a little envy toward the single
class advancers 5th level braggadocio.

Mind you, don't take my suggestion(s)
from the standpoint of psychology.
 ;)

Rogue 1 or 2 / Cleric X and take Magical Training feat to simulate RogAT
Rogue 3 / Cleric X and rationalize it as Immediately more spell slots than RogAT
Rogue 1 / Cleric 5 / Rogue +1 / Cleric +X feeling when to go / Rogue +1 / Cleric +X
Cleric 5 / Rogue 1 or 2 / Cleric +X , I'm even more of a Trickster than I thought

Wis 16 Dex 16 Con 14 Cha ? dump Str 8 Int 8
either max Dex then max Wis
or max Wis then pick some feats
go Con 13 if you want Resilient Con
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 12:26:19 AM »
While Trickery and rogues seem to go hand in hand, don't overlook knowledge as a potential domain either. Being able to get proficiency in any skill or tool for 10mins can be useful. If you do level into cleric a bit, the suggestion spell is one of the most uber mind-tricks in the entire game, with virtually unlimited uses. Far better than charm, but admittedly, mirror images is good for combat as well.

As another option, 3 levels of Grasslands Druid comes with literally everything a Rogue would ever need. Even better at level 5. Invis for you, stealth for your party (PwT always known is awesome), Guidance for skill monkeying and initiative, infiltration/exfiltration forms, and a bit of healing. Along with a bit of other stuff too. Haste at 5 if you're feeling a bit let down in damage dealing as you progress.

G.Druid 3/Assassin Rogue x is a pretty amazing build. You can always dump a couple more levels of druid in if you want more casting (and summons and form options).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 12:49:22 AM by sambojin »