Author Topic: Break my houserule; Gestarchetypes  (Read 3511 times)

Offline Kasz

• The God-Emperor protects, the Omnissiah provides.
    • View Profile
Break my houserule; Gestarchetypes
« on: January 05, 2016, 02:30:19 PM »
I've had an idea for a houserule for a tougher campaign, stronger PCs would be a decent reason for stronger enemies so I'm wondering if this houserule would be fair.

When selecting a class Archetype, select two, and as you level gain the benefits of both.

So A Barbarian could be both Frenzy and Totem, a Fighter could be both Champion and Battlemaster.

If you multiclass, say, Cleric1/BardX, you'd be a Cleric Life/Arcana, and a Bard Lore/Satire, and I imagine you'd be really overpowered.

Assassin/Thief would excell at higher levels, what with two initiatives for assassinations.

Would a Druid be forced to select land and moon? I'm can't remember any other options, although they're hardly bad options.

So, are there any combinations that utterly break the game? Are there any combinations that get really left behind? I imagine the Cleric/Bard combo would probably make a single classed Ranger quite sad, but I doubt a Champion Battlemaster would care, with his complete mastery of melee combat.

Obviously this isn't as powerful as straight up gestalting, but it might be a nice middleground between full gestalt and regular play.

Offline Wilb

• Elder Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Break my houserule; Gestarchetypes
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 04:02:26 PM »
What about classes like the Warlock? This doubles the pacts or the patrons?

EDIT:
Tempest + Arcana = Thor 2.0 or 3.5 Pal 3/ Battle Sorc 17
Deep Stalker + Hunter = 3.5 Ranger
Undying Light + Fiend = Meat (?) Wall
Illusionist + Diviner = 3.5 Wizard
Wild + Draconic = Worse
Mastermind + Thief = Exemplar (?)
Ancients + Vengeance = Mage slayer
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 04:15:49 PM by Wilb »
Lovely Zoma...

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 04:49:01 PM »
Abjurer + Bladesinger would be quite a tank.
Make Eberron Great Again! #MEGA

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 05:20:08 PM »

... Would a Druid be forced to select land and moon? ...

Within Land there are multiple options, so perhaps 2 Lands.
But Moon is too good to pass up, for a few more spells known.

M+L'Druid 2 / Tome+X'goo+?'Lock 3 / M+L'Druid on up to 17
would be pretty darn spiffy.

Cleric Life + Heavy Armor 1 / any 2 Wiz to 19 (doesn't really matter which 2)
and get Magical Training at level 1 for Goodberry.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 05:27:12 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Kasz

• The God-Emperor protects, the Omnissiah provides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 10:16:29 AM »

Yes, flavourwise I'd consider creating a patron that is able to provide both, perhaps a demon prince of faeries for Fey/Fiend, or an Fairy Great Old one. If you include undying then a Lich Devil... actually mixing up these monster types is quite fun. 

Mechanic wise, picking two paths, which gives a second pact option at level 3, which means you can have two out of three then it comes to Blade, Book and Familiar. 

I don't think there are any amazing game breaking combos that come out of double warlock, but you'd definitely feel powerful.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 01:29:14 PM »
Mystic with both Orders gets pretty damn versatile
Dragon/Favored Soul Sorcerer could be a heartier combatant
Dragon/Storm Sorcerer lightning synergy
Assassin/Swash vs. Assassin/Thief?

Offline Wilb

• Elder Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 08:13:54 PM »

Yes, flavourwise I'd consider creating a patron that is able to provide both, perhaps a demon prince of faeries for Fey/Fiend, or an Fairy Great Old one. If you include undying then a Lich Devil... actually mixing up these monster types is quite fun. 

Mechanic wise, picking two paths, which gives a second pact option at level 3, which means you can have two out of three then it comes to Blade, Book and Familiar. 

I don't think there are any amazing game breaking combos that come out of double warlock, but you'd definitely feel powerful.

Well, considering this, a Warlock (Light + Fiend, Tome + Blade) would make a brutal tank and bruiser, with an inexaustible hp pool, SAD (CHA+CON, with Shillelagh, SCAG cantrips and melee invocations), being quite the versatile character, at least in style if not damage type.

Starting with 3 levels of Champion/Battlemaster would make it even crazier, though if martial superiority dice stack, Battlemaster/Scout or Battlemaster/Cavalier.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 04:31:45 AM by Wilb »
Lovely Zoma...

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 01:48:07 PM »
Druid (Grassland/Moon) 9, Cleric (Life/Arcana) 1.

All the cantrips, all the best healing, invis/haste for sprucing up WS, tonnes of handy auto-prepared spells for any eventuality that WS can't handle. Flying forms/CR3 forms. A bit of slot regen, for at worst, best goodberries (40pts per lvl 1 slot, 5 slots to gain a day) or bless spamming. Great stealth with Pass without Trace, for you and your summons/party. Lots of summons. Heaps of prepared spell versatility with cleric subbing in for druid equivalents, so you know a tonne of higher level druid stuff each day. Lowish level build that keeps getting better the more druid it gets. Feat, stat, cantrip as wanted, with a basic 1.5x+ caster as standard with all those handy slots, but can go combat'y as well in multiple different ways. Add monk 1 for Wis armour in WS if you want, but you're already not bad even in normal form (GFS/Shillelagh/Haste), all run off Wis. MI Hex in if you want, but you don't really need any warlock cast-offs by this point.

or

Rogue (Thief/Assassin) 17, Cleric (Knowledge/Trickery) 3

Auto-10 on any of the skills you want. Spellcasting and stealth-mastery (PwT) before or after multi-turn-stab-killing. Buddy up with a sneaky partner when needed, or divine out a shadow clone to help with SA output.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 02:47:48 PM by sambojin »

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 09:39:51 AM »
Mystic Immortal 1/Awakened 1, Druid Grasslands x/ Moon x "totally" breaks this.

The more UA you know...