Author Topic: Holomancer [base] (Magipunk)  (Read 15452 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Holomancer [base] (Magipunk)
« on: December 19, 2011, 07:54:04 AM »
Another base class for my Magipunk setting.  WIP.

Holomancer

Picture Credit: Google Image Search

"They'll see exactly what I want them to see -- no more, no less."
-Thomas Winter, head holomancer of Shining Light Advertising Agency

What do you want the world to look like?  Do you want it brighter, darker, prettier, uglier?  Hire a holomancer, and your world will look exactly like you want it to.

MAKING A HOLOMANCER
Thing
Abilities: Thing
Races: Any.
Alignment: Any.
Starting Gold: As warlock.
Starting Age: As warlock.

Class Skills
The Holomancer's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Arcana (Int), Concentration (Wis), Engineering (Int), Negotiation (Cha), Perform (Cha), Persuasion (Cha), Profession (Wis), Scholarship (Int).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int)x4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int

Table: HolomancerHD: d6

Level
Base
Attack
Bonus
+0
+1
+2
+3
+3
+4
+5
+6/+1
+6/+1
+7/+2
+8/+3
+9/+4
+9/+4
+10/+5
+11/+6/+1
+12/+7/+2
+12/+7/+2
+13/+8/+3
+14/+9/+4
+15/+10/+5

Fort
Save
+0
+0
+1
+1
+1
+2
+2
+2
+3
+3
+3
+4
+4
+4
+5
+5
+5
+6
+6
+6

Ref
Save
+0
+0
+1
+1
+1
+2
+2
+2
+3
+3
+3
+4
+4
+4
+5
+5
+5
+6
+6
+6

Will
Save
+2
+3
+3
+4
+4
+5
+5
+6
+6
+7
+7
+8
+8
+9
+9
+10
+10
+11
+11
+12

Special
Coherent light 1d6, invocation (least)
Spectral vision
Coherent light 2d6
Bend light
Coherent light 3d6
Invocation (lesser)
Coherent light 4d6
Improved spectral vision
Coherent light 5d6
Improved bend light
Coherent light 6d6, invocation (greater)
Illusion resistance
Coherent light 7d6
Greater spectral vision
Coherent light 8d6
Invocation (bright)
Coherent light 9d6
Lightwalk
Coherent light 10d6
Supreme spectral vision

Invocations
Known
Sculpts
and
Essences

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Holomancers are proficient with simple weapons and light armor, but not with shields.  They can use their invocations and coherent light while wearing light armor without penalty; however, medium or heavy armor or using a shield incurs arcane spell failure as normal.

Invocations: A holomancer does not prepare or cast spells as other wielders of arcane magic do.  Instead, he possesses a group of abilities known as invocations that represent his ability to bend, shape, and alter light.  A holomancer can use any invocation he knows at will, with the following qualifications.

A holomancer's invocations are spell-like abilities; using an invocation is therefore a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity.  An invocation can be disrupted, just as a spell can be ruined during casting.  A holomancer is entitled to Concentration check to successfully use an invocation if he is hit by an attack while invoking, just as a spellcaster would be.  A holomancer can choose to use an invocation defensively by making a Concentration check, to avoid attacks of opportunity.  A holomancer's invocations are subject to spell resistance unless an invocation specifically states otherwise.  A holomancer's caster level with his invocations are equal to his holomancer level.

The save DC for an invocation (if it allows a save) is 10 + equivalent spell level + the holomancer's Charisma modifier.  Since spell-like abilities are not actually spells, a holomancer cannot benefit from the Spell Focus feat.  He can, however, benefit from the Ability Focus feat, as well as from feats that emulate metamagic effects for spell-like abilities.  Unlike other spell-like abilities, invocations are subject to arcane spell failure for armor heavier than light.

The four grades of invocations, in order of their relative power, are least, lesser, greater, and bright.  A holomancer begins with knowledge of one invocation, which must be of the lowest grade (least).  As a holomancer gains levels, he learns new invocations, as summarized in the table above and described below.  At any level when a holomancer gains access to a new grade of invocations, he can also replace an invocation he already knows with another invocation of the same or lesser grade.

Prismatic essences and light sculpting: A holomancer learns some invocations that can modify his coherent light, changing the shape, color, or luminosity.  Those that change the color or luminosity are prismatic essences, and those that alter shape are light sculpts.  A holomancer can apply up to one prismatic essence he knows and one light sculpt he knows to each use of coherent light; doing so is part of the same action as the coherent light.  Prismatic essences and light sculpting are discussed in more detail below.  The holomancer learns prismatic essences and light sculpting invocations at the indicated levels in the table above; these invocations cannot be changed at higher levels like other invocations.

Coherent light (Su): The first ability a holomancer learns is coherent light.  A holomancer attacks his foes with bursts of bright, high-energy photons. Coherent light is a ray with a range of 60 feet.  It is a ranged touch attack that affects a single target, allowing no saving throw, and deals 1d6 damage at first level, increasing by 1d6 every two levels after.  Coherent light is the equivalent of a spell whose level is equal to one-half the holomancer's class level rounded down, with a minimum of 1st and a maximum of 9th.

As a supernatural ability, coherent light is not subject to spell resistance.  Coherent light deals half damage to objects.  Metamagic feats cannot improve a holomancer's coherent light (because it is a supernatural  ability and not a spell).  However, the feat Ability Focus (coherent light) increases the DC for all saving throws (if any) associated with a holomancer's coherent light by 2.  If a holomancer's base attack bonus is high enough to allow him iterative attacks, he may make a full attack action with coherent light; however, some light sculpting invocations or prismatic essences can only be used as standard actions.  See the prismatic essence and light sculpting sections for details.

Spectral vision (Ex): At 2nd level, a holomancer's eyes become accustomed to seeing in different parts of the spectrum.  He gains low-light vision and darkvision out to a range of 60 feet.

Bend light (Sp): By manipulating the ambient light level, a holomancer of 4th level or higher can decrease or increase the illumination of an area at will. The change in illumination can be gradual (taking as long as 1 minute) or sudden (occurring immediately).  This ability does not function in areas of total natural darkness, as there is no light to work with; however, a holomancer can use this ability to counter magical light or darkness effects of 1st level or lower.  This ability affects a 5 foot per level radius area emanating from the holomancer.

The holomancer can decrease the illumination of an area by as little as 5% (barely perceptible) or as much as 100% (total darkness). If he decreases the light by 50% or more, the visual ability of creatures that depend on light to see declines accordingly.  If he decreases the ambient light in an area by 100%, even those with low-light vision are unable to see within the affected area. For each 25% decrease in ambient light, characters in the area gain a cumulative +1 circumstance bonus on Hide checks (to a maximum of +4 when all the light is gone).

The holomancer can increase the illumination of an area by as little as 5% (barely perceptible) or as much as 100%. If he increases the light by 50% or more, the visual ability of creatures that depend on light to see improves accordingly.

Improved spectral vision (Su): At 8th level, a holomancer's vision becomes even more enhanced.  He becomes immune to blindness, and the range of his darkvision increases to 120 feet. In addition, he continuously functions under the effect of arcane sight.  Glowing blue eyes are a trademark of experienced holomancers.

Improved bend light (Su): A holomancer of 10th level or higher gains an increased facility with pure light.  He can use daylight and deeper darkness at will as supernatural abilities; these effects cannot be countered except by a holomancer of equal or higher level.

Illusion resistance (Ex): Beginning at 12th level, a holomancer has worked so extensively with illusions that he can recognize them on sight.  He gains a save automatically when viewing or otherwise sensing an illusion, as if he had interacted with it; he also gains a +4 insight bonus on all saves against illusion spells and effects.

Greater spectral vision (Su): At 14th level, a holomancer's eyes become even more extraordinary, granting him x-ray vision.  He gains the ability to see into and through solid matter.  The range of the vision is 30 feet, with the holomancer seeing as if he were looking at something in normal light even if there is no illumination.  X-ray vision can penetrate 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, or up to 3 feet of wood or dirt. Thicker substances or a thin sheet of lead blocks this ability.

Lightwalk (Su): Beginning at 18th level, a holomancer can transform himself into a beam of light and move along geodesics with incredible ease.  He can use greater teleport as a supernatural ability at will, but only to locations with which he has line-of-sight.

Supreme spectral vision (Su): At 20th level, a holomancer can see magic as easily as he can see light.  He is continuously under the effects of both true seeing and greater arcane sight.

PLAYING A HOLOMANCER
Thing.
 Combat: Thing.
 Advancement: Thing.

HOLOMANCERS IN THE WORLD
"Thing."
-Guy
A brief description of how your class is persevered in the world and how he interacts with the world.
 Daily Life: Some general information about the typical day in the life of your class.
 Notables: Make up some cool information about notable figures in the history of your class. It's best to give a little information from one of the good alignment and evil alignment (unless it's a good or evil only class).
 Organizations: Thing.

NPC Reaction
 This is an in detail description of how NPC's would perceive your class and the immediate generalization that people would give of your class.

HOLOMANCERS IN THE GAME
 This is a good place to provide a quick note on how your class will effect game play statistically.
 Adaptation: This is a place where you put in detail how people can adapt your class into their campaign setting.
 Encounters: This is a place to describe what sort of encounters PC's will have with NPC versions of your class.

Sample Encounter
Give an example of how one might encounter a member of this PrC.
EL x: Give the encounter level and description of a sample member of this class and a stat block for him/her.

GUY
Thing
Init +0, Senses: Listen +, Spot +,
Languages
------------------------------------------------
AC , touch , flat-footed   ()
hp  ( HD)
Fort +, Ref +, Will
------------------------------------------------
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee
Base Atk +, Grp +
Atk Options
Combat Gear
Spells Prepared
Supernatural Abilities
-----------------------------------------------
Abilities STATS
SQ
Feats
Skills
Possessions
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 07:53:12 AM by sirpercival »
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Holomancer [base] (Magipunk)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 07:54:36 AM »
Holomancer Feats

Holomancer Invocations
Holomancers choose the invocations they learn as they gain levels, much like bards or sorcerers choose which spells to learn.  However, a holomancer's arcane repertoire is even more limited, and his invocations are spell-like abilities, not spells.

In addition to its grade (least, lesser, greater, or bright), every invocation has a spell level equivalent, which is used in the calculation of save DCs and for other purposes.  A least invocation has a level equivalent of 1st or 2nd; a lesser, 3rd or 4th; a greater, 5th or 6th; and a bright invocation has a level equivalent of 6th or higher (maximum 9th).  The level equivalent for each invocation is given in its description.  A holomancer can dismiss any invocation as a standard action, just as a wizard can dismiss a spell.

Prismatic Essence Invocations
(click to show/hide)

Light Sculpting Invocations
(click to show/hide)

Least Invocations
(click to show/hide)

Lesser Invocations
(click to show/hide)

Greater Invocations
(click to show/hide)

Bright Invocations
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 04:13:46 PM by sirpercival »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 07:54:44 AM »
New Invocation Descriptions
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 04:37:39 PM by sirpercival »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 12:50:36 AM »
OK, mechanics are done, just have to finish the invocations.

Offline Ziegander

• bkdubs123 reborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 01:19:45 AM »
I think this is a very excellent Warlock variant. Light and illusion-based no doubt, with appealing visual acuity based class features lending it interesting utility. The one disappointment is the lack of refinement of the "Eldritch Blast." You did stretch it to 10d6, the most immediately sensible thing to do, but other than that it appears to be a complete copy-paste job. I would make it a supernatural ability, not subject to SR, and allow it to be used with iterative attacks. That will maintain its usefulness past the lowest character levels.

Another Nice ThingTM that you could do for this variant is give it two separate progressions one of Invocations and another for Shapes/Essences, that way players don't have to choose whether to gain more spell power or more blast power, they get some of both. This will also help to keep the Eldritch Blast relevant and is shamelessly stolen from HERE.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 02:29:28 AM »
Rather than numerical suffixes for invocations like Hologram and Patternweave that come in various grades, why not just use the grade itself (ie: Least/Lesser/Greater/Bright Hologram instead of Hologram I/II/III/IV)?

You might want to ask Dralnu if you can use some of his Arcane Trickster's invocations (or even the class itself as a melee-alternative holomancer). The AT uses a LOT of illusionary invocations, many of which would fit this class very well.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 08:25:35 AM »
I think this is a very excellent Warlock variant. Light and illusion-based no doubt, with appealing visual acuity based class features lending it interesting utility. The one disappointment is the lack of refinement of the "Eldritch Blast." You did stretch it to 10d6, the most immediately sensible thing to do, but other than that it appears to be a complete copy-paste job. I would make it a supernatural ability, not subject to SR, and allow it to be used with iterative attacks. That will maintain its usefulness past the lowest character levels.

Another Nice ThingTM that you could do for this variant is give it two separate progressions one of Invocations and another for Shapes/Essences, that way players don't have to choose whether to gain more spell power or more blast power, they get some of both. This will also help to keep the Eldritch Blast relevant and is shamelessly stolen from HERE.

I like these suggestions, I'll beef up coherent light and the shapes/essences accordingly.

Rather than numerical suffixes for invocations like Hologram and Patternweave that come in various grades, why not just use the grade itself (ie: Least/Lesser/Greater/Bright Hologram instead of Hologram I/II/III/IV)?

You might want to ask Dralnu if you can use some of his Arcane Trickster's invocations (or even the class itself as a melee-alternative holomancer). The AT uses a LOT of illusionary invocations, many of which would fit this class very well.

Yes, I can change the naming convention for patternweave/hologram.  That makes much more sense than what I came up with while completely exhausted.  ;)

I'll check with Dralnu about the invocations. 

Offline Ziegander

• bkdubs123 reborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 01:15:21 PM »

I like these suggestions, I'll beef up coherent light and the shapes/essences accordingly.

Do note that you may find it prudent, after making those changes to the basic coherent light attack, to edit the form and function of some of the shapes/essences. For example, Vibrant Glaive may need some changes to remain relevant at all, and you would want to address whether essences are applied to all coherent light attacks made in a full-attack, or if they are applied per attack. Little fiddly bits like that.

Offline phaedrusxy

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The iconic spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 01:30:25 PM »
I think it actually might be a bit too powerful to allow it to make iterative light blasts and also apply essences that basically turn them into "save or dies". I'd make it either/or. You can either make your iterative attacks, and maybe apply a blast shape sculpting essence, but if you apply one of the Prismatic Essence Invocations it goes from being an attack action to a standard action.

And I don't really see how a petrification ray fits in thematically. I could see save vs. blind, or even save vs. insanity or outright death, but petrification?  :twitch I'm sure we can come up with some other ideas that might fit better, like maybe Confusion (but non-mind affecting, as it is really just messing up your vision).

But I do agree that I really like the idea of this class, and it has a lot of potential. I hope you plan to put Illusion staples like Silent Image on the invocation list.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 01:34:09 PM by phaedrusxy »
I don't pee messages into the snow often , but when I do , it's in Cyrillic with Fake Viagra.  Stay frosty my friends.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 01:47:58 PM »
I think it actually might be a bit too powerful to allow it to make iterative light blasts and also apply essences that basically turn them into "save or dies". I'd make it either/or. You can either make your iterative attacks, and maybe apply a blast shape sculpting essence, but if you apply one of the Prismatic Essence Invocations it goes from being an attack action to a standard action.

And I don't really see how a petrification ray fits in thematically. I could see save vs. blind, or even save vs. insanity or outright death, but petrification?  :twitch I'm sure we can come up with some other ideas that might fit better, like maybe Confusion (but non-mind affecting, as it is really just messing up your vision).

But I do agree that I really like the idea of this class, and it has a lot of potential. I hope you plan to put Illusion staples like Silent Image on the invocation list.

I'm glad you like it!  Minor Image is actually on the invocation list, so do I really need Silent?  :)

The petrification ray comes from the effects of Prismatic Ray (or Spray, which Ray is based on).  I didn't invent it... so I'm not sure how it fits either, but I couldn't help but steal the ideas.

I think what I'll do is deal with the iterative attack vs essence/sculpt issue on a case-by-case basis.  For example, the save/die ones can't be used iteratively, but the fire one could be, because why not?

Offline phaedrusxy

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The iconic spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 01:54:06 PM »
I think what I'll do is deal with the iterative attack vs essence/sculpt issue on a case-by-case basis.  For example, the save/die ones can't be used iteratively, but the fire one could be, because why not?
Sure. I just thought it would be easier to apply a blanket clause, rather than modify every one. But then yeah, it would make the fire one and others like it pretty worthless (unless you added a save or suck/die to all of them, too).
I don't pee messages into the snow often , but when I do , it's in Cyrillic with Fake Viagra.  Stay frosty my friends.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 02:06:31 PM »
I added some text for each sculpt/essence saying how it applies.

Also, the invocation list will be expanded, I'm just throwing down some basic ones right now.  If anyone has suggestions, they're certainly welcome.

EDIT: I'm waiting on word from Dralnu about the indigo trickster invocations.

Offline phaedrusxy

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The iconic spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 02:22:49 PM »
How about: Flickering Ray: Target must make a Will save or become confused for 1d4 rounds. Only applies to first iterative attack.

That could be a lesser one, with a greater one rendering them paralyzed. :P

I never really like the Prismatic spells, anyway... but I can see why you'd use them.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 02:31:52 PM by phaedrusxy »

Offline Noliar

• Not a very nice elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 06:21:30 PM »
Some Invocation Ideas

Illuminating Ray
Least Essence
save: Will negates
A target hit an Illuminating Ray, in addition to taking the normal damage, glows for 2 rounds thereafter making their location and outline clearly visible despite shadows, invisibility or any other non-barrier source of concealment. While they glow, ranged attacks against them have a +1 circumstance bonus to hit.

Solar Focus
Bright Invocation
Duration: Concentration
The Holomancer takes all the sunlight in the are within medium range of herself and concentrates it within an area she specifies within that range (100 ft +10ft/level). In the area affected where the sunlight is not focused the illumination is reduced by 95% (there is a little illumination from scattering and reflection.) The effect where the sunlight is concentrated depends on how tight the focus is and on the ambient conditions as described below. While maintaining the Solar Focus the Holomancer may change the position of the focused patch once per round as a free action.
5' square5' radius10' radius
Within 1 hr of noon, clearBlinding light, 2d8 damage/level/round, soft metals melt, anything that can burn catches fireBlinding light, d8 damage/level/round, reflex save or catch fireBlinding light, d8 damage/2 levels/round, reflex save or catch fire
Daytime, clearBlinding light, d8 damage/level/round, reflex save or catch fireBlinding light, d8 damage/2 levels/round, reflex save or catch fireBlinding light, d8 damage/4 levels/round, reflex save or catch fire
twilight, clear Blinding light, d8 damage/4 levels/round, reflex save or catch fireBlinding light, unattended flammable materials catch light in 2 roundsDazzling light, unattended highly flammable materials catch light in 4 rounds
within 1 hr of noon, heavy cloud Blinding light, 2d6 damage/level/round, reflex save or catch fireBlinding light, d6 damage/level/round, reflex save or catch fireBlinding light, d6 damage/2 levels/round, reflex save or catch fire
Daytime, heavy cloud Blinding light, d6 damage/2 levels/round, reflex save or catch fireBlinding light, d6 damage/4 levels/round, reflex save or catch fireBlinding light, unattended flammable materials catch light in 2 rounds
Twilight, heavy cloud Dazzling light, unattended highly flammable materials catch light in 4 roundsDazzlng lightBrightly illuminated

Offline Ziegander

• bkdubs123 reborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 09:15:24 PM »
Since invocations are subject to SR, should a coherent light attack that is modified by a "blast essence" be subject to SR? I stand by the suggestion that the basic coherent light blast should be a Su ability that is not subject to SR, but perhaps if it is modified by an essence it becomes a spell-like ability with an equivalent spell level equal to the essence's equivalent spell and becomes subject to SR? Just a thought. It would help make save-or-die/lose blasting less powerful.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 08:52:52 AM »
Since invocations are subject to SR, should a coherent light attack that is modified by a "blast essence" be subject to SR? I stand by the suggestion that the basic coherent light blast should be a Su ability that is not subject to SR, but perhaps if it is modified by an essence it becomes a spell-like ability with an equivalent spell level equal to the essence's equivalent spell and becomes subject to SR? Just a thought. It would help make save-or-die/lose blasting less powerful.

Hmm... yes, I think so.

I'll add Flickering Ray and Noliar's invocations.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 09:02:29 PM »
If someone plays this, I believe becoming a disco ball will be necessary during the course of the campaign.  Lights everywhere!

As for the SR question, Warlocks have an essence that ignores SR and instead does acid damage or something.  Vitriolic Blast.  Perhaps give the Holomancer an equivalent?

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 09:07:20 PM »
If someone plays this, I believe becoming a disco ball will be necessary during the course of the campaign.  Lights everywhere!

As for the SR question, Warlocks have an essence that ignores SR and instead does acid damage or something.  Vitriolic Blast.  Perhaps give the Holomancer an equivalent?

Well, if you use the Aasimar racial sub levels, you can get Eladrin Form and totally rock out as a disco ball!!!

And, I made the basic coherent light a supernatural ability.

Offline Ziegander

• bkdubs123 reborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 09:11:21 PM »
Well, if you use the Aasimar racial sub levels, you can get Eladrin Form and totally rock out as a disco ball!!!

Wait... WHAT?! I NEED THIS!!

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 09:22:40 PM »

Wait... WHAT?! I NEED THIS!!

Yes!  I haven't done the full write-up, but I worked out the general ideas for most of my racial sub levels.  Aasimar holomancer gets good-aligned coherent light, the ability to do positive energy coherent light, and eladrin form (BoED 97).