Author Topic: The Sanity Handbook Discussion Thread  (Read 3081 times)

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
The Sanity Handbook Discussion Thread
« on: February 15, 2016, 08:37:36 PM »
The Handbook

I'm anxious to hear someone try the variant as I've outlined (ie. mindblink does counter the entire subsystem) and let me know how it went...

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: The Sanity Handbook Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 02:21:37 AM »
Sanity starts at 5x Wisdom SCORE, not Wisdom modifier.

Ack! Bright pink ratings are completely illegible on the default forum background.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 02:36:08 AM by Garryl »

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 04:39:54 PM »
 :???

What do you mean, we are playing Everyone Is John?  Who said that, not What.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 08:50:15 PM »
Oh thanks. And any thoughts on the knowledge shuffling & mindblank parts? That's the only part where I tell readers to go "off the rails."

I have very different monitor settings from many people. I found the pink to stand out more but it is tough on a vanilla computer. Hopefully brown and orange look okay to you. They look awful to me.

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 10:45:57 PM »
Architecture and engineering (constructs) - reasonable
Forbidden Knowledge (dragons, aberrations + vermin, outsiders) aberrations, yes, but what is so "forbidden" about dragons, vermin, and outsiders?
Geography (plants) - while plant distribution is determined by geography, the study is in a distinctly different field
History (humanoids) - what if it isn't humanoid history?
Local (animals) - as with plants, the study of animals is a different discipline
Nature (giants, monstrous humanoids) - aren't monstrous humanoids by definition unnatural?
Nobility and royalty (fey) - why are fey royal?

One problem with certain categories is that the creature assignments have a tendency to be rather haphazard. Nagas are aberrations, minotaurs are monstrous humanoids, but lizard men are humanoids. Ummm . . . whaaaaat?

That said:

Arcana: (magical beasts, monstrous humanoids) - because they are used for/the result of magical tinkering
Architecture and engineering (constructs) - because they are built
Dungeoneering (oozes, vermin) - because they live in dungeons
Forbidden Knowledge (aberrations, specific "Far Realms" creatures of all types) - because they are unnatural
Geography (none) - though it could give a synergy bonus to other skills, or at least let you know that the DM is cheating by using them outside their RAW habitat
History (fey, giants) - because they ruled in the past and/or are part of historical myth and legend
Local (humanoids) - because they live in the neighborhood
Nature (animals, plants) - because they are natural
Nobility and royalty (dragons) - because they are royal
Religion (undead, outsiders with alignment sub-types) - because they are part of the afterlife
The planes (elementals, most outsiders) - because they live on the planes

And . . . you should still reassign the category of about 10% of creatures on a case by case basis, along with providing random synergy bonuses. For example:

Fey can be covered by arcana because of how they impact magical traditions, history because the previous inhabitants were driven off by cold iron and went to live in faerie mounds, local because they involve myth and legend, nature because druids talk to them, the planes because of the fey nature of the Eladrin and fey demiplanes in general, and religion because they are heathens.
Which one should you "really" be rolling to determine some particular bit of fey trivia:
Arcana to traverse the faerie mound;
History to know cold iron will keep the bad ones from killing you;
Local to pick up clues about geas related to dealing with them;
Nature to acquire the half-fey template;
The Planes to escape the faerie mound, or;
Religion to atone for acquiring the half-fey template?

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 11:03:17 PM »
@Dragons: the great game. Think conspiracy theories. This is requiring clicking. You must finish it.

@Vermin: I find them more "gross" than most aberrations. Indeed the yardstick for aberrations is spiders.

@outsiders: speaking of spiders, Kaorti (outsiders) are described similarly as a best-approximation since they come from the far realms (creatures there are outsiders) which is the ultimate place of madness.

@dungeoneering: very good point. I think moving vermin to dungeoneering is the right move. It's also an incredibly hard skill to acquire without getting Know(all), so it should be a comparative heavy weight.

@History: you mean the monsters have histories too? We don't bother with that sort of thing in SRD D&D3.5 (which assumes players are playing humanoids...)

@monstrous humanoids. Meh there are 90% humanoid+animal anyways.

@fey well there is the seelie court. Mindless savages doesn't really fit fey in 3.5, but faerie queens etc are everywhere

@geography I'm trying to keep the skills balanced. A skill that doesn't ID a creature type better do some really, really great things or players will just ignore it.

@dragons (again). Wait dragons have kings and castles?

@random synergy bonii: makes sense, but I'm trying to keep skills simple else people get cranky and start doing the wrong thing for balance; combining skills. A little bit of abstraction helps keep things easy. The exception is Forbidden Lore, which is presented as a powerful, tempting skill which comes at a cost. The cost has to be worth it which is why it gets more than 2 creature types.

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 04:29:35 PM »
@Dragons: the great game. Think conspiracy theories. This is requiring clicking. You must finish it.

If dragons are political power players on that scale, then they very much belong in N&R with other rulers.

@Vermin: I find them more "gross" than most aberrations. Indeed the yardstick for aberrations is spiders.

For me it is roaches. However it is "Forbidden Lore", not "Squick Factor Trivia".

@outsiders: speaking of spiders, Kaorti (outsiders) are described similarly as a best-approximation since they come from the far realms (creatures there are outsiders) which is the ultimate place of madness.

Which is why outsiders should really be split up among several knowledge skills.

@dungeoneering: very good point. I think moving vermin to dungeoneering is the right move. It's also an incredibly hard skill to acquire without getting Know(all), so it should be a comparative heavy weight.

Plus the unnatural size should make them be treated as somewhat unnatural creatures, and not included in K (nature).

@History: you mean the monsters have histories too? We don't bother with that sort of thing in SRD D&D3.5 (which assumes players are playing humanoids...)

Technically, yes. :D

@monstrous humanoids. Meh there are 90% humanoid+animal anyways.

I'm not going to argue.
The category exists as a lame excuse to give certain humanoids Full BAB and two Good Saves. That's it. They even confessed using that weasel play with war trolls and it winding up a tad lame.

@fey well there is the seelie court. Mindless savages doesn't really fit fey in 3.5, but faerie queens etc are everywhere

Mindless, no.
Savage, quite a few.
The unseelie court is not a pleasant place to be.

@geography I'm trying to keep the skills balanced. A skill that doesn't ID a creature type better do some really, really great things or players will just ignore it.

I'd like to find a way geography can ID stuff, but it just isn't working.
As it goes, 3.5 deliberately cut down the number of available Knowledge skills for whatever theoretical balance purpose they thought they were serving, but with K (psionics) and Martial Lore added, subsuming Geography into Local and Nature would be a much better fix.

@dragons (again). Wait dragons have kings and castles?

They certainly have realms if they playing a great game and manipulating others.
That doesn't include Council of Wyrms (2nd ed), Argonessen (Eberron), or Asian dragons in general.

@random synergy bonii: makes sense, but I'm trying to keep skills simple else people get cranky and start doing the wrong thing for balance; combining skills.

*discreetly edges the Geography comment under the carpet while whistling innocently*

A little bit of abstraction helps keep things easy. The exception is Forbidden Lore, which is presented as a powerful, tempting skill which comes at a cost. The cost has to be worth it which is why it gets more than 2 creature types.

Give Forbidden Lore a bardic knowledge aspect.
It functions as a back up ID skill to know the "secret", ineffable, lore about various creatures, such as oozes being descended from shoggoths, serpent men ruling before humanity, and humans having blood tainted with horrific infusions from other accursed races, making them susceptible to go all Rats in the Walls on their party after walking into the wrong forgotten temple, or randomly acquiring bonus levels in Thrall of Dagon after going on a sea cruise (the Saltmarsh Look).

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 01:36:48 PM »
Which is why outsiders should really be split up among several knowledge skills.
I would agree, except I'm proposing an additional knowledge skill and am trying hard to not have 20 semi-redundant skills. Indeed PF and 5e are all about lumping skills (that I feel are distinct).

Give Forbidden Lore a bardic knowledge aspect.
I really dig. But since I'm one of those lazy "all bardic lore abilities are the same" DMs, won't the bards/loremasters feel left out?

Handbook update: I felt I was coming back too often to look up a cheat sheet on a "How do I build a PC to cover this variant" and "How do I run this variant as a DM"