Author Topic: Inugami  (Read 6888 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: Inugami
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2019, 02:22:19 AM »
Looking good, but going by pure RAW, addig increased actions for the victim to remove the mark of the damned on their own doesn't invalidate the previous options automatically. So basically going "A Mark Bearer may attempt to save against a single Mark by spending one Hour in uninterrupted meditation" doesn't do much when they can still do the standard option. There should be a clause clarifying that previous, faster options can no longer be used.

Even then, it just doesn't feel right to have the effect last months when the victim can try to remove it every hour or so. Would instead suggest the victim can only try to remove them on their own 1/day or something and if it fails they need to wait until next day or try some other method.

And since I'm at it, " Inugami +1 to all rolls against the targets" is pretty risky wording since not all rolls are equal. So would probably be safer to limit it to 1d20 and damage rolls.

Offline Doxkid

• Lurker
  • The tyrant that loved you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2019, 07:20:39 PM »
The Mark removal overwrite-failure is fixed now.

The 1 hour removal time is from my proofreaders; they had an issue with 1 day removal times, so I dropped it down from 1 day to 1 hour. Because of how quickly an Inugami can layer Marks onto a target (assuming Barghest entry they can manage 4 per round by trading all Natural attacks in a Full Attack for Marking attempts, then Mark one target as a swift action) I don't have an issue with Marks falling off quickly and, besides all that, it keeps the time increase a bit more consistent (1 hour->24 hours is a massive jump that makes 10 minutes->60 minutes seem much more reasonable.) If I ever get around to playtesting this I'll see if Mark removal needs a #/day limitation, but for now it should work pretty well.

The "d20 and Damage" version limits things like 'Barghest Feeding causing soul destruction', which was something I definitely wanted to include. On the other hand after chewing on the wording for a bit I can see how this could be problematic with things like Prismatic Spray or Enervation, should the Inugami acquire spellcasting. I put in a temporary fix, but if you have any suggestions for wording it more elegantly I would be glad to hear them.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 07:46:31 PM by Doxkid »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2019, 04:08:55 AM »
You could just limit it to percentile chances besides 1d20s and damage rolls. +1 or +5 becomes more problematic indeed when smaller dice are being used.

Offline Doxkid

• Lurker
  • The tyrant that loved you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2019, 10:03:25 AM »
The wording in use now should cover that. I'll do some cleaning and then i'll move on to the next 'brew classes: yokai and daiyokai.