Author Topic: Inugami  (Read 6885 times)

Offline Doxkid

• Lurker
  • The tyrant that loved you.
    • View Profile
Inugami
« on: March 21, 2019, 09:48:20 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Prerequisites:
Minimum of 5 Hit Dice
Must posses a "Bite" Natural Attack
Must have been reduced to 1 HP or lower by "Slashing" damage.
---
HD: d8
LevelBABFortReflexWillSpecial
1st
+0
+2
+2
+2
Monstrous Enlightenment, Mark of the Damned, Bestial Butcher
2nd
+1
+3
+3
+3
Mortal Enlightenment, Karmic Recurrence, Manslayer
3rd
+2
+3
+3
+3
Spiritual Enlightenment, Karmic Regalia, Ghost Killer
4th
+3
+4
+4
+4
Dark Enlightenment, Karmic Reckoning, Fiend Hunter
5th
+3
+4
+4
+4
Immortal Enlightenment, Karmic Rebirth, Divinity Destroyer

Features
Proficiencies: An Inugami gains no additional proficiencies with weapons or armor.

Class skills (6+Int): Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Diplomacy, Disguise, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Each taken individually), Listen, Move Silently, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Tumble.

LVL 1:
Monstrous Enlightenment(EX): The Inugami type changes to Fey; do not recalculate Base Attack Bonus, Saves, or Skill Points. Inugami levels stack with other Classes and Racial Hit Dice when determining the DC of Hit Dice based abilities and when determining the Caster Level of spells and spell-like abilities, but do not grant an increase in Spells Known or Spells per Day.

Mark of the Damned (SU): At-Will as Move Action an Inugami may force enemies within a (5 * Inugami HD) foot cone to make a Will save DC (10+HD/2+Cha mod). Failing this saving throw Marks that enemy, granting the Inugami +1 to all 'd20' rolls and Damage rolls against them; additional Marks after the first stack to increase the bonus to rolls and refresh the Mark's duration. A Mark lasts (Inugami HD) rounds and all Marks on a target may be removed as one instance of a curse produced by the spell 'Bestow Curse'. A Marked creature may make a new save against all of its Marks as a Standard Action.

Bestial Butcher(EX): The saliva of an Inugami carries a potent jinx and the Inugami makes good use of this power to wear down mighty opponents. On a successful Bite attack the subject cannot benefit from natural or extraordinary health restoration for (Inugami Level) Minutes; this includes but is not limited to Fast Healing, Regeneration, and being the subject of a Heal check. A Marked target suffers this penalty until at least one Mark is removed or the Inugami elects to end this effect as a Free Action.

The Inugami may also apply this with a non-threatening lick, or any similar action that would apply the Inugami’s saliva directly to a target, as a Standard Action; doing so is a Melee Touch Attack that provokes Attacks of Opportunity.

LVL 2:
Manslayer(EX): Marks of the Damned now last (Inugami's HD) Minutes and reattempting the save against Marks now requires a Fullround Action. The Inugami may now track a Marked target even if there is no evidence of the target’s passing; the Inugami may determine the current direction of a Marked target as if following a 'Trail' across Firm Ground, applying all modifiers to the Survival check DC as appropriate.

Karmic Recurrence(SU): The Inugami may now attempt to Mark a single target within range as a Swift Action.

Mortal’s Enlightenment(EX): The Inugami no longer needs to eat or drink, but may still benefit from doing so.

All of the Inugami’s movement speeds increase by +10 feet.

LVL 3:
Ghost Killer(EX): Marks of the Damned now last (Inugami's HD) Hours and reattempting the save against Marks now requires One Minute of uninterrupted meditation. All methods of removing Marks of the Damned now only remove a single Mark at a time.

Karmic Regalia(SU): The Inugami’s Natural Weapons and equipment now benefit from the Ghost Touch property; this effect persists for one round after the Inugami loses contact with the piece of equipment.

Spiritual Enlightenment(EX): The Inugami no longer needs to Breathe.

The Inugami also gains a fly speed equal to twice its land speed (Poor Maneuverability). Should the Inugami already possess a fly speed the faster Fly Speed increases by 10 feet and the Highest maneuverability increases by one step to a maximum of (Good) maneuverability.

LVL 4:
Fiend Hunter(EX): Marks of the Damned now last (Inugami's HD) Days and reattempting the save against Marks now requires Ten Minutes of uninterrupted meditation. The Inugami may now track a Marked target across planes even if there is no evidence of the target’s passing; the Inugami may determine the current plane of a Marked target as if following the 'Trail' of the Mark across Hard Ground, applying non-environmental modifiers to the Survival check DC as appropriate.

Karmic Reckoning(SU): Targets that fail a save against Mark of the Damned suffer (Inugami's HD/2) untyped damage.

Dark Enlightenment(EX): An Inugami’s Weapons and Natural attacks deal 1 additional die of damage.

The Inugami may also Mark the Damned in place of any Attack Action; this Mark the Damned attempt covers a (5 * Inugami HD/2) foot Cone.

LVL 5:
Divinity Destroyer(EX): Marks of the Damned now last (Inugami's HD) Weeks and reattempting the save against Marks now requires One Hour of uninterrupted meditation. NPCs across any distance and on any plane must make a Will save DC (10 + Inugami's HD/2) the first time they interact with a Marked creature, or speak of a Marked creature by name, each day; failing this save lowers the NPC’s social attitude toward that Marked creature by one step.

Karmic Rebirth(SU): Successfully damaging a Marked creature now heals the Inugami for (Marked creature's HD/2). Other creatures that damage Marked creature heal for half of the normal amount.

Immortal Enlightenment(EX): The Inugami becomes immune to ability damage, ability drain, and negative levels.

The Inugami also stops physically aging, and has no maximum age.

--New feats:
(click to show/hide)
----- -----
Standard Social Attitudes
AttitudeTreatmentTypical Actions
Nemesis|Will give life to harm you|Will take suicidal action to harm you
Hostile|Will take risks to hurt you|Attack, interfere, berate, flee
Unfriendly|Wishes you ill|Mislead, gossip, avoid, watch suspiciously, insult
Indifferent|Doesn't much care|Socially expected interaction
Friendly|Wishes you well|Chat, advise, offer limited help, advocate
Helpful|Will take risks to help you|Protect, back up, heal, aid
Fanatical|Will give life to serve you|Fight to the death on your behalf
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 05:52:14 PM by Doxkid »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: Inugami
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 10:24:28 PM »
This one looks quite interesting. :plotting

Comments at first glance:
-Bab of +10 at first level. :p
-Such dispersed stat boosts don't do much good, in particular non-Cha mental increases that the class doesn't really care about. Also since you need to enter as somebody with a bite attack you probably didn't invest much in Cha, which makes it kinda hard to plan to enter this unless you're starting already at quite high level. So would suggest to allow to pick any mental stat score to use for the class and the mental stat boosts apply to the chosen mental score.
-Greedy Dog says "Upon Feeding on a creature" but "Feeding" isn't very clear. I assume it triggers when you bite someone, in which case it should probably say just that.
-The prerequisites seem too high for what this class is offering. Nevermind there's some quite powerful effects with plenty of potential in there that certainly make it worthy of being something so high level.

So looking quite good, both fluffy and powerful unique abilities and also pretty well organized. Certainly feeling tempted to build a nasty NPC or two out of this.

Offline Doxkid

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 11:24:18 PM »
This one looks quite interesting. :plotting

Comments at first glance:
-Bab of +10 at first level. :p
-Such dispersed stat boosts don't do much good, in particular non-Cha mental increases that the class doesn't really care about. Also since you need to enter as somebody with a bite attack you probably didn't invest much in Cha, which makes it kinda hard to plan to enter this unless you're starting already at quite high level. So would suggest to allow to pick any mental stat score to use for the class and the mental stat boosts apply to the chosen mental score.
-Greedy Dog says "Upon Feeding on a creature" but "Feeding" isn't very clear. I assume it triggers when you bite someone, in which case it should probably say just that.
-The prerequisites seem too high for what this class is offering. Nevermind there's some quite powerful effects with plenty of potential in there that certainly make it worthy of being something so high level.

So looking quite good, both fluffy and powerful unique abilities and also pretty well organized. Certainly feeling tempted to build a nasty NPC or two out of this.
Fixed the BAB problem.
The mental stats are evenly distributed to continue the Barghest's Stat progression; +1 STR and/or Cha each level seemed a bit much on a creature that can get out of hand should it be left to its own devices, so I spread the bonuses out a bit. It also gains a decent amount from this distribution because it desperately needs just about everything other than Int (which is still useful for the bonus to Spellcraft checks and the extra skill point)
--
Two problems came up while building this was that the class might be overloaded and that Marks can stack infinitely if the Inugami is patient enough to chase one person forever; any feelings on that?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 11:27:30 PM by Doxkid »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 11:43:25 PM »
Hm, what do you think should fill the levels between Barghest and this, though? A lot of the PrCs in this subforum chain seamlessly.

Offline Doxkid

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 12:08:02 AM »
Hm, what do you think should fill the levels between Barghest and this, though? A lot of the PrCs in this subforum chain seamlessly.

Fiend of Possession would work although it's capstone abilities are a little redundant. Ur priest works very well since it'll allow for [10 Ur Priest] levels and [10 Barghest/Greater Bargest/Inugami] levels, but it requires 6 Ur Priest levels to enter Inugami and that means you finish the class at level 16; the class is already a bit of a late bloomer, so I'm not sure how I feel about finishing even later than usual even if it's only by one character level.

I was a bit concerned that it would be too powerful when compared to other level 10 creatures, but if there is consensus that it would not be problematic I'll relax the entry requirements. How about: "Will/Fort save +4" (to match what the Barghest+Greater Barghest gets) and a lower number of Hit Die?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 12:43:53 PM by Doxkid »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 12:13:38 AM »
If you intend this to be a barghest PrC and not a vague canine PrC, may as well just require Greater Barghest?

Offline Doxkid

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 12:21:13 AM »
If you intend this to be a barghest PrC and not a vague canine PrC, may as well just require Greater Barghest?
Canines are the natural preference but the lore also allows Weasels, Foxes, Mice, Chimera and a few other creatures to transform into an Inugami as well, so I thought I should just leave the class open to just about any beast that managed to get decent Will+Fort saves. Besides that there's only one ability that directly relates to Barghest (Greedy Dog triggering of killing a target or Feeding as a Barghest).

Greedy Dog itself might need a rework since the current writing is ambiguous enough for some people to benefit from it twice and I'm not sure if I want that to be viable: Kill something to trigger the ability, then Barghest-Feed on the corpse to trigger the ability again.

Offline ~Corvus~

• My Greed has spread here too =D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 09:13:04 AM »
Indeed, the loophole with Greedy Dog should be fixed. May I recommend:

"Upon killing a creature (or Feeding on, should the Inugami be a Barghest, whichever comes first) the Inugami may make a number of dispel checks   (rolling 1d20+HD vs 11 + the spell’s caster level) against up to its Cha Mod of beneficial Spells/SLA and beneficial Supernatural effects with a duration the creature had active at the moment of its demise to claim the effects for itself"

---
Edit: Clarify ability boosts: Are they +X & Y each level? If so, list as +X and +y. Are they +x OR Y each level? If so, make the need for a choice clearer.

---
Edit: Mark of the Damned needs some clarity. I recommend the following:

"Any NPCs interacting with a Marked target must make a Will save DC (10+Inugami Level) the first time EACH DAY they interact with, speak of, or otherwise acknowledge the bearer of the Mark; failing this save lowers the subject’s attitude toward that bearer of Mark by one step. Family members of Marked beings automatically succeed on this save for this mark."
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 06:44:49 PM by ~Corvus~ »
Quote from: HuskyBoi
I just need a minute to appreciate the words 'goliath lamp-post sneak attack'. That's a thing of beauty, right there.

Greedling avatar by Ceika from Giantitp.

Offline Doxkid

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 07:50:24 PM »
Greedy Dog has been adjusted.
Ability scores have been clarified.
Mark of the Damned has been adjusted.
Standard Social Attitudes have been listed.

Offline ~Corvus~

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 04:55:57 PM »
I just realized that Kodokou Curse would benefit from some clarity:
" An Inugami may activate Marks of the Damned within Long Range as swift action, removing a number of Marks from a target to curse that Mark bearer with the Kodokou Curse for an equal number of rounds."
(addition emphasized)
This way, we're clear about what curse may be applied...However, if any curse may be applied then that, too, should be stated.
I just need a minute to appreciate the words 'goliath lamp-post sneak attack'. That's a thing of beauty, right there.

Offline Doxkid

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 08:31:27 PM »
Fixed as per your suggestion.
--
Question: Should I rework the Greater Barghest Feat to allow for slow Plane traversing?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 08:34:04 PM by Doxkid »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 10:39:53 PM »
Think it's pretty fine as it is now so added to the index, really good job here.

A custom Inugami feat for planar travel would be nice too (in particular since not that good to be able to track others accross planes if you can't actually follow).

Offline Doxkid

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2019, 12:40:02 PM »
New feat:
Plane Walker
Prerequisites: Survival 12 ranks
Benefit: By spending one hour searching for hidden rifts between the realms you may make a survival check DC (25) to attempt to cross over to another plane. If you are in pursuit of a creature, or have a target arrival point in mind, you arrive within [1d20] miles of that target creature/location; otherwise you arrive in, or near, a relatively safe location.

When travelling in a group you may spend one hour per party member to transport them with yourself when you use this feat; this requires a single Survival check DC (25 +1 per person being transported). Alternately you may spend a single hour to transport the group with a Survival Check DC [35].

An Inugami gains a benefit of +1 per concurrent Mark on the target plane when making the survival check to use Plane Walker.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 10:01:29 PM by Doxkid »

Offline Doxkid

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 10:31:18 PM »
Inugami has been adjusted to better fit the idea of a juvenile monster serving as a 'familiar' to an evil mage until it grows into its own.

Adjustments:
(click to show/hide)

Earlier I was asked what a classes Barghest would normally take after taking 4 levels of Barghest and 1 level of Greater Barghest, but before reaching level 10 so it could start taking the old Inugami class; it didn't qualify for anything useful, after all, and it didn't have much available to specialize in yet.

The original answer was a bit odd. The new answer is now Inugami.

After finishing the class they have a bit more survivability to work with and have enough HD and skill ranks to qualify for most routes of progression. Mage Inugami might take Divine Spellcasting classes like Cleric or Ur Priest; Warriors who prefer a single special weapon might take Kensai or Legacy champion; Stealthy Inugami might favor Assassin or Spellthief or even something like Telflammar Shadowlord or Hellbreaker; ascetic Inugami would favor Monk, Swordsage, or similar classes.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 02:36:13 PM by Doxkid »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 04:06:22 AM »
Most of those updates look good, but why remove the bite prerequisite? In particular since Devil Bite is kinda useless whitout a bite.

Also since you mention Swordsage and are giving CL boosts, may as well be granting out IL boost too if you ask me.

Offline Doxkid

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 08:50:55 PM »
The Bite attack I trimmed off to open this up for more creatures but I think you might be right about it being good to have; something needs to mark that this is for bestial creatures and not a Level 5 Human Cleric who decided against progressing his spellcasting for some reason. I'll pop the Bite requirement back on.

Initiating, along with all of the many other demi-casting options, isn't something supported by most monster classes and the Barghest made no mention of it so I'll leave it out as well. I could, in theory, state that this progresses just about anything as per Human Paragon and Legacy Champion, or specifically state that this progresses Spellcaster level, Initiator level, Vestiges, and truenaming...but I'll leave that as a something a player should just request DM permission for.

At most I can state here that I approve of Inugami being used to progress the "Caster Level" equivalent of most non-casting classes.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 04:59:45 AM »
Fair enough.

Offline ~Corvus~

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2019, 09:48:18 PM »
I dont see any reason this can justifiably be a 5 HD PrC. As a 10-HD monster this would be overpowered as hell. Its virtually unkillable and with Kodokou Curse it can level a city in a weeks' time. It is Purple Man revenge status here, but at such a low level its nuts. So what gives?

It has all good saves, BaB, 6+Int skills and Stat boosts. It has incredible power through its abilities. Its d8 HD is practically a joke, as once it can resurrect itself (at no cost mind you) its gonna take a long-ranged assault (wizard/caster) or a Wish/Miracle to end.

I strongly recommend:
10HD minimum requirement.

No stat boosts - doesn't need.

IF YOU MUST, make its DCs 10+ 1/2 HD + CHA. This will account for a modest increase in power later on, but will make its later entry more palatable.

Offline Doxkid

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2019, 03:58:58 PM »
Alright, in light of the rampant problems with this iteration of the class Inugami is currently under construction again. I'll have a revamped version online in a few days.

Offline Doxkid

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2019, 12:12:32 AM »
The revamp is done! Less powerful but more consistent and fair to play with/against.