Author Topic: Barghest  (Read 10127 times)

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
Barghest
« on: June 02, 2012, 09:31:26 PM »
Barghest

HD: d8

LevelBABFortRefWillFeature
1 +1+2+2+2Change shape, Goblin blood, Lupine body, Rage, Str +1, Dex +1
2+2+3+3+3Charm, Claws, Feed, Str +1, Wis +1
3+3+3+3+3Aura of despair, Damage reduction, Levitate, Str +1, Int +1
4+4+4+4+4Consume memories, Dimension leap, Ghost step, Str +1, Cha+1
Class skills (6+Int): Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Diplomacy, Disguise, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (the planes), Listen, Move Silently, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Tumble.

Proficiencies: A barghest is proficient with simple weapons and light armour, but not with shields.

Features:
Lupine body: The barghest loses all other racial bonuses and gains Outsider traits (darkvision 60ft, need not eat or sleep). It is a Medium quadruped with the (evil, lawful, shapechanger) subtypes, Scent, and a natural armor bonus equal to its Con modifier. It has a bite attack as a primary natural weapon, dealing 1d6 damage + its Str modifier.

A barghest who multiclasses as a cleric may treat his barghest (and greater barghest) levels as cleric levels for determining his caster level and domain spell slots, provided one of his domains is Domination, Evil, Hunger, Hunt or Law.

Change Shape (Su): As a standard action a barghest can take the form of a wolf or return to its normal form. In wolf form it gains a bonus on Hide checks equal to half its HD and the benefits of a pass without trace spell.
Alternatively the barghest can take a humanoid form with goblin-like features - in this form it loses its natural attacks but can wield weapons and wear armour, and gains the benefits of a misdirection spell (changing the source of the false signal is a move action; you can choose relative targets like "the nearest creature" or "the air around me").

Goblin Blood: A barghest is considered to be a goblin for effects which target goblins, and can use magic items designed for goblins.

Rage (Sp): At 1st level a barghest can use quickened rage as a spell-like ability 1/day, +1/day for every 5HD. In addition, he may choose to expend multiple uses of this ability at once to improve its power - the bonuses provided by the effect are multiplied by the number of uses he expends.

Ability Score Increase: The barghest's ability scores increase by the shown amount.

Charm (Sp): At 2nd level a barghest can use charm person as a spell-like ability 1/day per 2HD. At 7HD he may expend two uses of this ability to create a charm monster effect instead.

Claws: At 2nd level a barghest in its natural form gains two claws as secondary natural attacks, dealing 1d4 damage plus its Str modifier.

Feed (Su): At 2nd level a barghest in its natural form can consume a dead creature as a full-round action. As long as it has been dead for 1 minute or less, the barghest regains hp equal to the HD of the victim (excess hp are gained as temporary hit points for 24 hours) and may gain additional benefits based on the victim's strength relative to his own.
Victim HD/CREffect
Barghest HD-5 or lessNo benefit.
Barghest HD-4Regain a use of one of your racial SLAs.
Barghest HD-2Regain two uses of your racial SLAs, divided in any way you wish.
Barghest HDRecover double the normal hp.
Regain three uses of your racial SLAs, divided in any way you wish.
Barghest HD+2The barghest surges with power, gaining +2 Str/Con and the Powerful Build special quality for 1 hour.
Recover double the normal hp.
Regain four uses of your racial SLAs, divided in any way you wish.
Barghest HD+4 or moreThe barghest surges with power, gaining +2 Str/Con and the Powerful Build special quality for 1 hour.
The barghest projects a frightful aura for 1 hour; any enemy who comes within 60ft must make a Will save (DC = 10 + half your HD + your Cha modifier) or become frightened for 1 minute. Any creature who succeeds on their save against this effect is immune to it, but not to the auras of other barghests or auras generated by the barghest in future. The barghest may suppress this aura for 1 round as a free action. This is a supernatural ability.
Recover double the normal hp.
Regain all uses of your racial SLAs, as if 24 hours had passed.
There is a 50% chance that a wish, miracle, or true resurrection spell can restore a devoured victim to life. Check once for each destroyed creature. If the check fails, the creature cannot be brought back to life by mortal magic.

Aura of Despair (Sp): At 2nd level, any creature ending its turn adjacent to a barghest must make a Will save (DC = 10 + half your HD + your Cha modifier) or take a -2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls for 1 round, as if affected by a crushing despair spell. In addition, the barghest may use crushing despair as a spell-like ability 1/day per 6HD (using the same DC).

Damage Reduction (Su): At 3rd level, a barghest gains DR/magic equal to half its HD.

Levitate (Sp): At 3rd level, a barghest can use levitate as a spell-like ability 1/day per 3HD. He may expend two uses of this ability to replicate fly, or three uses to replicate overland flight.

Consume Memories (Su): At 4th level, after consuming a creature with its Feed ability a barghest can question it as if it had cast speak with dead (save DC = 10 + half your HD + your Cha modifier), except that the duration is 24 hours. In addition, during this time the barghest may use its Change Shape ability to take the form of the consumed creature, as long as it has a roughly humanoid anatomy.

Dimension Leap (Sp): At 4th level, a barghest can teleport short distances 1/day per 4HD. This functions as the dimension door spell, except that its range is Medium (100ft +10ft/level). He may expend two uses of this ability to increase its range to Long (400ft +40ft/level).

Ghost Step (Sp): At 4th level, 1/day per 4HD a barghest can become ethereal for 1 round as a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. He may expend two uses of this ability to use it as an immediate action.

Comments
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:49:28 AM by Prime32 »

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Barghest
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 09:32:38 PM »
Greater Barghest

HD: d8

Prerequisites: Barghest lv4

LevelBABFortRefWillFeature
1 +1+2+2+2Ability boost, Call of Gehenna, Growth, Invisibility sphere, Speed boost
Class skills (6+Int): Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Diplomacy, Disguise, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (the planes), Listen, Move Silently, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Tumble.

Proficiencies: A greater barghest gains no additional proficiencies with weapons or armour.

Features:
Ability Boost: All of the greater barghest's ability scores increase by 1.

Call of Gehenna (Sp): 1/day per 5HD, a greater barghest can infuse some of its essence into other creatures as a spell-like ability. This ability may affect 1 creature per HD, all of whom must be within Close range (25ft +5ft/level), and lasts for 1 minute per HD. Affected creatures gain a +2 bonus to all ability scores and increase in size by one category (do not adjust ability scores or natural armor for increasing in size). In addition they take on slightly barghest-like features and become more prone to cruel or ruthless acts. An unwilling creature can negate the transformation with a Will save (DC = 10 + half your HD + your Cha modifier). Barghests cannot be affected by this ability.

Growth: The greater barghest increases in size by one category. His goblinoid and wolf forms increase in size with him, the latter now resembling a dire wolf. The barghest's reach does not increase in normal or wolf form, but it does in goblin form. Do not adjust his ability scores or natural armour for increasing in size.

Invisibility Sphere (Sp): The greater barghest can use invisibility sphere as a spell-like ability 1/day per 4HD.

Speed Boost: The greater barghest's land speed increases by 10ft.

Comments
(click to show/hide)

New Feats

Planar Hunter [Racial]
Prerequisites: Greater barghest, Survival 4 ranks
Benefit: While in an area of wilderness at least 10 miles in diameter, you can spend 1 hour following hidden paths in order to plane shift in either direction between your home plane (Gehenna if using the Great Wheel cosmology) and the Material Plane. If you leave the path at any point then the process is interrupted and you must begin it again.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 10:38:14 PM by Prime32 »

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 12:00:29 AM »
Wait a second, you mean that I can`t get a free level every time I eat a dead body? What a ripoff!
The Paladin Code: Detect Evil, Smite it, ask questions later.

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 12:04:44 PM »
Barghest finished, and Greater Barghest up. Anyone have a good picture for the latter?

Offline Daedroth

• Neutronium Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 12:49:55 PM »
(click to show/hide)

That one?
Now I've lost it, I know I can kill. The truth exists beyond the Gate!

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 01:22:58 PM »
(click to show/hide)

That one?
Works.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 02:13:44 PM »
Love it; my goblin empire now has its nobility... (Plus, I like the whole Monster Blood series of feats combo'd with a Hobgoblin, say, on this guy; mmm, Hobgoblin Barghests...)
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 09:18:52 PM »
Love it!

Since I can't find anything to critique, added to the index!

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 08:47:54 AM »
Lupine Body doesn't give any primary natural attacks, but the Claws ability give secondary natural attacks.  Is that correct?

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 10:50:37 AM »
I have no idea how I forgot to give them a bite attack...

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 09:59:40 PM »
The Barghest does not appear to have a base speed listed.