Author Topic: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater  (Read 236750 times)

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
Re: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater
« Reply #700 on: February 28, 2018, 02:58:25 AM »
a decision has been made https://www.cinemablend.com/games/2317502/the-esrb-has-made-a-decision-on-loot-boxes

"Starting soon ESRB will begin assigning a brand-new label to physical games: In-Game Purchases. This label, or as we call it interactive element, will appear on boxes (and wherever those games can be downloaded) for all games that offer the ability to purchase digital goods or premiums with real world currency."

weak....

Half measures.  They don't even distinguish between loot boxes and expansions. 

That being said, I'd respect this a heck of a lot more if it meant that every game subjected to this label automatically received an M rating or higher. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: March 01, 2018, 12:10:16 AM »
After years of online underage gambling (and several truck loads of money) the ESRB has finally decided weigh in on the matter: You're getting a tiny warning symbol on packaging that uses a passive euphemism designed to normalize the concept of microtransactions until they sound like the jump button on a control pad.

This helpful symbol will be amended to your mobile device's app store, since everything with an option for an in-app purchase is included such as DLC, so you won't actually know which ones offer a premium service such as ad-free and which ones use literal gambling to drain your account dry within minutes. However even the most obvious layman will know it costs money to use it without having to be techsavvy.

And of course this new tag can be used to restrict young children from even opening the game, kids love that, but not actually prevent them from buying stuff once opened unless you change open a second option and set their allowance to $0. Provided this is even an option on the gaming platform(s) you, your spouses, and your children use. These settings are disabled by default and buried within various menus because if you're dumb enough to need an icon on the box you're too f**king stupid to find them or even know that you have to turn them on anyway.

Yeahee ESRB.  :clap
Here is a better idea, take all that money EA paid you and refund EA's customers. The euphemism you're looking for here is "lawsuit".

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 01, 2018, 12:23:56 AM »
Hawaii..you're only hope (there's something I never expected to type) https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/13/17007830/hawaii-loot-crate-laws-ea-star-wars-battlefront-2

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018/02/12/hawaii-news/bills-target-video-games-with-rewards-for-a-price/

One pair of bills, House Bill 2686 and Senate Bill 3024, would prohibit the sale of any game featuring a system wherein players can purchase a randomized reward using real money to anyone younger than 21 years old.

The other two bills, House Bill 2727 and Senate Bill 3025, would require video game publishers to prominently label games containing such randomized purchase systems, as well as disclose the probability rates of receiving each loot box reward.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #703 on: March 09, 2018, 05:09:31 AM »
New Nintendo Direct

3DS still getting a surprising amount of support.
Octopath gets a couple new characters announced, I really enjoyed the demo so keeping an eye for that one.
New No More Heroes Game!
Moar Re-masters! Okami! Hyrule Warriors! Dark Souls with Praise the Sun Amibo! Southparth Fractured but Whole! Crash Freaking Bandicoot in a Nintendo console!!!
Mandatory Wario party and Mario Tennis or the world will stop spinning or something.
More Switch Super Smash brothers teasing, Inklings will be one of the new challengers, Link obviously sporting the BotW design. Still coming out in 2018
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 05:12:20 AM by oslecamo »

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 10, 2018, 12:13:00 PM »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: March 10, 2018, 03:41:56 PM »
Half-Life 3 confirmed!

I like how Gabe complains about Microsoft turning into Shiapple and how he has his eyes on being a some kind of Steam/Nintendo hardware and software manufactorer.

9/10 would read again.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: March 16, 2018, 02:31:55 PM »
If this turns out to be real then I may have to change my purchase plans for April from buying MTG stuff to this https://gamerant.com/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2-remaster-release-date/

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: March 21, 2018, 04:03:24 AM »
Still great to see so many indies flocking to the Switch. Lots of great games out there, not nearly enough time to play them in the PC.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: March 21, 2018, 04:23:13 AM »
Still great to see so many indies flocking to the Switch. Lots of great games out there, not nearly enough time to play them in the PC.

yeah, they really bounced back hard after the WiiU time

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: March 21, 2018, 04:42:24 AM »
Thing is, the Switch wouldn't exist without the Wii U.

One common praise/complain with the Wii U was that being able to play it in the controller when the TV wasn't available was pretty neat, but at the same time the battery was too short lived and the range was too short.

The Switch fixes both of the above problems, with a much better battery and being able to truly play anywhere, while still being able to connect to a TV, and that was indeed the main emphasis of the new console since its first reveal.

Speaking of Switch, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 started a bit slow but getting pretty good after the mandatory intro/tutorial segment. Poppy α in particular is awesome, she's like the daughter of Chii and Getter Robo. Gotta love her origin story too.
(click to show/hide)

Still miss the ability to customize the character's clothing like in the first Xenoblade Chronicles but I guess that's kinda compensated by there being a nice variety of blades to collect.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: March 21, 2018, 05:57:32 AM »
Gotta love her origin story too.
(click to show/hide)

That is now one of the best origin stories i have ever read lol

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: March 21, 2018, 05:03:42 PM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/03/21/the-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2-remaster-is-rumored-not-to-have-multiplayer/#37dd30553a77

well..I forsee a very loud uproar over the lack of multiplayer and now i'm not even sure if i wanna get it...

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: March 22, 2018, 12:25:01 AM »
Speaking of the Switch, the Kriby game is pretty easy. My biggest complaint has to be that Stages seem really short, not to mention the loading time between each door is so long you seemingly spend more time on a loading screen than you do in an actual stage.

Three HAL rooms have been found.
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

I'm a little disappointed the Train ability only appears in one stage too. But to throw a positive out, while the elements are basic and overlap in a few areas offering very little changes, there are a few interesting combos. Try an air ninja's daggers for example.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 10:35:48 AM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: April 08, 2018, 09:19:09 PM »
No surprises there. Nintendo really knows the portables market. I mean look at the 3DS, it's seven freaking years old and it's still got support going for it even though Nintendo released the Switch.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: April 16, 2018, 06:10:29 AM »
Something a bit old but still relevant.
(click to show/hide)

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: April 17, 2018, 10:02:01 PM »
I swear at this point activison should just make a stand alone Zombie game https://kotaku.com/sources-next-call-of-duty-wont-have-a-solo-campaign-m-1825338768  or Call of Duty: Zombies.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: April 25, 2018, 08:55:16 PM »
https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/25/loot-crates-illegal-in-belgium/
Loot crates are now illegal in Belgium
Loot boxes in games like “Overwatch” are gambling, according to officials.

I wonder if this will lead to actual change