Author Topic: PBMC Meta-Compendiums (including 3e fully fixed)  (Read 12676 times)

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
PBMC Meta-Compendiums (including 3e fully fixed)
« on: December 31, 2015, 11:59:34 PM »
What is in these links:
(click to show/hide)
tl;dr This is every single D&D resource I have ever laid eyes on.

link 1
link 2a 2b 2c

Discussion Thread

So this is it. 2016 is almost here. Have all my interesting DnD stuff, internet. The only things I hold back are:
  • Copyrighted things like source books, a dndtools mirror, and certain all-text lists (very necessary when you want to skim 30 similar things/spells/etc for the one that is good enough). I've left shortcuts to these things in so that people can see what they are missing out on.
  • Certain builds I'll probably never care to finish (I have this death attack one... oh well). I wanted to show people how I build characters, in case it helps other in the future. I considered including empty folders named for build groups that I simply don't have the info consolidated enough to share. Some builds have indexes removed for copyright.
  • Personal DMing things like campaign notes, party contracts, etc. This includes a group of "Overpowering" encounters purposely designed to be a sort of gauntlet for high CO players.
Also I haven't sorted the psionic 3.0 WotC web articles, nor have I sorted the current MinMax handbooks. Both of these are included, of course. If someone else wants to sort those two directory trees, I'd be happy to download the results and run some software on it to see what went where. I expect the MinMax handbook area to grow/update. The Web articles I wanted to make sure 3.5 players don't come across weird psionic attack modes and get confused. Also the "unoriginal" creatures folder isn't complete. There were tons more "random humanoid + class x" and "random MM1 creature" stat blocks I simply deleted. No one needs that. Aside from those, I added to the previous google drive posted here on the boards; it was missing some articles.

Q: It's the year 20xx, how do I follow your dead links?
A: I can't believe I have to point this out but since the temporary redirection is now gone, replace all instances of "http://www.minmaxboards.com" with "http://minmaxforum.com" and voila. No need to internetarchive.org them like the www.wizards.com or archive.wizards.com links.

Q: Are you retiring?
A: Yes, but I'm not dying. I'll poke in eventually. But my heavy lifting for the boards is over for a while. Don't expect me to make a new "No one has ever made a list of all x" thread any time soon.

Q: How long did this take you?
A: I'd say about 6 years. I started to use local storage when random people with bear icons could troll online builds. It only takes 5 seconds to shit on 5 hours of work.

Q: Did you really fix everything in 3e?
A: Well, if you find something I didn't touch, PM me from a non-guest account (You'll need a real account that can post, so it will say "newbie" when you join). If you'd like to discuss a part or their interrelation, start a thread. I value community-driven consensus and its entirely likely that everyone else will tweak things in a useful way that I hadn't anticipated. But I think that I've gotten everything major; there aren't too many places broken things can hide outside of ECL, classes, feats, spells, items, skills, magic, etc. Basically all the things I have folders for in the 3e fixes area. It's the only area that needs a readme.txt . I suppose when its been a year, I'll repackage everything and add in the below updates.

Q: Is this all your work?
A: Absolutely not. The builds are mine (I tried to quote the ones that weren't), but for the resources I'm just the guy who had to go through it all. This is basically the definitive compendium of other people's definitive compediums. With this file (which fits on medium bigger than a floppy), you can do some pretty advanced CO work. That's pretty good considering its size.

Q: Can I have access to the copyrighted stuff at all those shortcuts?
A:Yes. Just PM me an email address (6 years later edit) from a non-guest account (the PMs reach me but I can't reply to them since it will say "The following error or errors occurred while posting this message: One or more 'to'-recipients could not be found."). You'll need a real account that can post (it will say "newbie" when you join).

Q: So how big is everything else?
A: The real deal is 1.75GB. Without DnDTools.pw, the WotC webpages and the minmax handbooks, its about .25GB. The source books take up an additional 9GB+

Q: Does this mean you're moving to 5e?
A: I would if it were just 3.5 plus fixes and extra stuff. But it isn't. So far it makes me just shrug. 5e will go the way of 4e: weak and unsupported in a few years. If WotC was serious about 5e, they'd be releasing spreadsheets of everything printed (like the spell list I sorted) and just have people pay a subscription fee. I suppose the real nail in the coffin that the "out of business sign" isn't too far off when the DnD forums shut down. It was almost 2016 and they couldn't hire a sysadmin to maintain a forum? Clearly they couldn't contain the hemorraghing when 5e wasn't the blockbuster they had hoped.

Q: Have you nothing else to do with 3.5?
A: I have some threads that I doubt I will finish like http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=10815 and http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=11843 . I'm also paying attention to http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=16432 . Hopefully I won't have to do it myself. We'll see.

Random Thoughts:
Besides our most prolific poster's template lists (nice thread btw), I am the only one with a handbook that has more than 20 entries (more than 1 page), mainly due to separating out various builds.
I wanted to simply stop posting at 1337 posts ... but I figure I'll stay on the first two pages of active members (some of whom I've literally never seen post). As always I'll try to only post community-helping things that others (and me after sufficient time) can look back on and enjoy.

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: PBMC Meta-Compendiums (including 3e fully fixed)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 11:59:47 PM »
Yes, this ends the PBMC Thread & Build Compendium.

Handbooks:
(click to show/hide)

The Base Class Tier Squeezes.txt is empty. Replace it with the following:
(click to show/hide)

Folder & text movement:
(click to show/hide)

File & Text additions:
(click to show/hide)
In Character Building\Noncaster Lists\Death Attack.txt
(click to show/hide)
In the Eruidite text:
(click to show/hide)
Add Metaconcert.txt to 0 RAW Reminders:
(click to show/hide)
Add Spell Sharing.txt to Caster Nerfs:
(click to show/hide)
Add Uncanny Forethought.txt to Caster Nerfs\Feats:
(click to show/hide)
Magical Plants.txt in CharacterBuilding\GP Things\
(click to show/hide)
"Pets.txt" should be "Share Spelled Pets"
(click to show/hide)
Tainted Scholar/Sorc
(click to show/hide)
Psychofeedback.txt in 0 RAW Reminders
(click to show/hide)
Festering anger.txt addition
(click to show/hide)
XP as a River.txt is expanded:
(click to show/hide)

Small updates to Custom Characters which is mirrored in 'da rules' section.

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 11:29:32 PM »
Stupid Character limit.

Expanding Spell Lists from Character Building\Caster Lists\Other to Character Building\Caster Lists\Spell Lists
(click to show/hide)

Add this to caster list.xls

Add CR+0 templates.txt to Character Building/Template Things
(click to show/hide)

Add this monster list to the Character Building/Race folder.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 02:18:57 PM »
so, is this completely finished, then?

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 09:55:23 PM »
Yeah. I was planning to re-upload a "roll-up" version when the changelog started to get too long. Give me a few weeks. I have more material to sort through than I thought.

Feel free to nitpick, but don't be mad when I say "Sorry it was addressed in the version I haven't released yet." You know, like all software devs.