Author Topic: Introductions - How to Serve Man  (Read 18175 times)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions - How to Serve Man
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2015, 12:33:35 AM »
The Half-orc takes a few moments to return to awareness.  He wipes the foam from his mouth, and checks his wounds for severity.  Satisfied that he is not in distress, he goes about the routine of cleaning up the mess he just created.  Wiping the blood from his axe, he says, "If the rumors are true, you will want to get yourself a weapon.  They say these rooms are all over the place down here.  Rooms where your books provide no defense against the darkness.  Your exit is this way."  He points down the eastern corridor.  "There's a tavern up there where you can rest, and read or whatever, and I'm sure you'll be able to find the adventuring party you lost if they made it out alive.  You're lucky I needed a drink, or you would have been Ogre food."

Lifting a small pouch from the beheaded one, he says, "We're in luck; this one liked shiny things."  He pulls out a handful of jewelry.  This should be enough for a trip back up, a drink, a meal, and a bed for each of us."

He then strolls down the corridor, past a couple bends, to a square room that tapers up to a circular dome overhead.  In the middle of the dome is a 20-foot diameter shaft that leads up beyond your range of vision.  The faintest sounds of community can be heard from above; almost like a memory of civilization to those below.  The room is covered in a layer of sand, with odds and ends half buried in it.  Most of those odds and ends are bones of humanoids and other creatures.  There are also a series of shields on mounting boards surrounding the room.  Most of the heraldry on the shields have been lost to time.

After a fair amount of shouting and assurances of payment, a rope is lowered from above and the Half-orc wraps it around himself and is pulled up, up, up to the tavern above.  Sometime after, the rope is lowered again for the next passenger.
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2015, 12:56:18 AM »
The Half-orc takes a few moments to return to awareness.  He wipes the foam from his mouth, and checks his wounds for severity.  Satisfied that he is not in distress, he goes about the routine of cleaning up the mess he just created.  Wiping the blood from his axe, he says, "If the rumors are true, you will want to get yourself a weapon.  They say these rooms are all over the place down here.  Rooms where your books provide no defense against the darkness.  Your exit is this way."  He points down the eastern corridor.  "There's a tavern up there where you can rest, and read or whatever, and I'm sure you'll be able to find the adventuring party you lost if they made it out alive.  You're lucky I needed a drink, or you would have been Ogre food."

Lifting a small pouch from the beheaded one, he says, "We're in luck; this one liked shiny things."  He pulls out a handful of jewelry.  This should be enough for a trip back up, a drink, a meal, and a bed for each of us."

He then strolls down the corridor, past a couple bends, to a square room that tapers up to a circular dome overhead.  In the middle of the dome is a 20-foot diameter shaft that leads up beyond your range of vision.  The faintest sounds of community can be heard from above; almost like a memory of civilization to those below.  The room is covered in a layer of sand, with odds and ends half buried in it.  Most of those odds and ends are bones of humanoids and other creatures.  There are also a series of shields on mounting boards surrounding the room.  Most of the heraldry on the shields have been lost to time.

After a fair amount of shouting and assurances of payment, a rope is lowered from above and the Half-orc wraps it around himself and is pulled up, up, up to the tavern above.  Sometime after, the rope is lowered again for the next passenger.

"Well, I guess this is our way out", comments Sythaeryn as he ties the rope around himself.  Satisfied with the knot, he gives the rope several quick tugs.
Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2015, 01:14:44 AM »
Long story short, the rope will pull you each up and the Half-orc was right about the accommodations.  You each get a meal, an ale, and full night's rest.  Let me know if there's anything you wish to do before going back to the tavern, or during the night and day that follow.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2015, 02:44:27 AM »
"Perhaps you are correct. I had been saving my last bit of gold to scribe more spells, but if there are more dead magic rooms down there, I best procure a better armamentarium."

Melisander utilizes the down time tracking down a bowyer/fletcher in order to purchase a longbow.

I always detested how father used to make me practice my archery after school each evening...

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2015, 01:50:15 PM »
Myrielle avoids the ale in favor of a glass of apple juice.

In the morning, she searches out blacksmith and purchases a couple more daggers.  When she returns, she spends the rest of the day asking tavern visitors if they know if the Fey come through the tunnel at all.  She also finds a tailor and buys the largest pair of pants she can find.

Searching out the half-orc, she hands him the pants.  Would you please wear these? Without waiting for an answer, she turns an goes about her business of asking questions

When approached by other members of the party she asks,
"I need to find my earring, can we go back now?."
Myrielle: "I think you're worth the trouble, even if the others don't."

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2015, 03:20:40 PM »
"I see that Myrielle and I might be traveling companions. I'm going to get some supplies before heading back into the caverns below. Who else will be joining us?", inquires Sythaeryn.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2015, 03:52:40 PM »
The Half-orc says, "I'm going back. I suppose you can tag along." He appears to have accepted the Elf's gift of pants...sort of. Apparently he found the full leg too restrictive, and has torn the pant legs clean off.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2015, 03:57:31 PM »
In response to Myri's inquiry about the fey, a few city folk tell her a rumor they heard about a glade, a whole forest,  somewhere within the dungeon itself. According to rumor, there is a powerful fey spirit that has taken residence there.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2015, 12:03:45 AM »
"I will be headed back down as well. The probability of any of us making it alone is low, so it makes the logical sense to stay together."

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2015, 11:40:50 AM »
"Let's get our supplies and whatever else we'll need and meet back here tomorrow to discuss our plan", suggests Sythaeryn.