Author Topic: New World Record  (Read 19947 times)

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
Re: New World Record
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 06:53:49 PM »
Not to burst a bubble, but I know someone has done the dream elemental no scores with cha=1 before. Just saying.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Not very active here but still active online
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 07:52:42 PM »
Not to burst a bubble, but I know someone has done the dream elemental no scores with cha=1 before. Just saying.

Link?
Please, call me Count :).

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 08:53:43 PM »
I talked about it awhile back, but never actually made it

here

I think I found a way to make a playable version

Crypt Spawn Dream Element Symbiotic Hairy Spider-Fungal Half-Illithid/Half-Living Wall Murder of Crows

4HD +3LA
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:18:20 PM by zook1shoe »
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 02:51:21 PM »
(?)

Hairy Spider + stuff ... Symbiotic on ... 1 Crow of the Murder Of Crows + stuff
as in
Hairy Spider (with Crypt , Spawn , Dream Element) on Crow (with Fungal , Half Illithid , Half Living Wall , Murder Of Crows)

Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2015, 11:29:54 AM »
Link is broken. I do like builds like these. Can you stat the playable version with citations on the templates and even break out which template adds what to the total. I remember in the initial BG discussion that living had no LA. Where is half-living from?

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2015, 01:35:33 PM »
the one 2 posts ahead of yours?
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2015, 02:18:16 PM »
That's Half-Living Wall.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2015, 03:22:40 PM »
Here's a exact writeup of the Dream and Living Wall templates, so we don't need to keep updating links.
(click to show/hide)
- All Spells
- playground

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2015, 03:48:42 PM »
While the Type converting disagrees with the 3.5-legal Savage Species and Unseelie Fey isn't for PCs as a Template, I am curious as to how you stacked them.

(click to show/hide)
I'm not currently seeing how those can be successfully combined, mostly the Spectral Mage's yet-another-undead in there, maybe Brood Spawn fixes that? But then you still have stack order and 4HD...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 04:49:46 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »
That order is backwards... The proto is the final template added, while Brood Spawn was the first.

3-1/8 racial HD +1d6 class HD is enough to qualify for Living Wall

I'm afc, so I can't give you anymore right now.
---
I forgot to mention that, despite its fly speed, it cannot move.

it also might not work w a hairy spider, since Living Wall needs Small-Large. But that's an easy switch w a Sword Spider.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 05:13:07 PM by zook1shoe »
- All Spells
- playground

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2015, 05:34:59 PM »
Uncle Kitty's Guide to Template Based Shenanigans says Proto-Creature cannot be applied to Incorporeal Creatures (conflicts with specter mage & whatever the hell living element is supposed to be).

And it's still an Inherited Template so you still have that problem too.

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2015, 07:22:51 PM »

I forgot to mention that, despite its fly speed, it cannot move.

So casting Longstrider, Expeditious Retreat, or taking a level in Cleric (Celerity) still gives it a zero move speed? The brass golem leg hanging out of the wall just waggles around faster?

With Cleric (Celerity/Travel) 1 instead of Bard 1, you get +10 movement speed faster than your race's norm (there's probably heaps of these things about to compare their speed to), two movement spells (which you probably can't cast with Int/Wis --), but you can spontaneously cast Cure spells on party members. You also one round a day of Freedom of Movement. Plus, you can turn undead, but at Charisma 1 (-5 modifier), which means -2 turn attempts a day AFAIK (it might give you 1 turn attempt a day if your DM gives it as a minimum of one). You just need to take the extra turning feat at Cleric 1 and this character is totally playable to my mind. 2 turn attempts a day!

You'd be able to move 10' a day, almost definitely. Maybe even more.

The rest of the time you busy yourself with praying to the great god Scuzzlebutt, that he may let you do his great works more speedily.

A mindless, immobile character isn't allowed. But this way, you get to choose where you will take your great schlump forward for the day. You get to choose when. You can attack, so you can level up. You can cast Cure Light Wounds on people, so you can meaningfully interact. You even get to decide when and on what you will use your turning attempt(s). The possibilities are endless. Some players like simple-to-play characters. You can even roleplay your prayers to Scuzzlebutt as a rather uncharismatic vestige of a soul devoted to him, that HE might cast Expeditious Retreat upon you every once in a while. But only if you've been a good half-living wall. 40' of movement for the day? The greatest schlump forward! Imagine if someone gave you a +charisma item? Or you managed to level to Cleric 3 and took Disciple of the Sun as your next feat? You'd be a powerhouse!

Totally playable character.......
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:41:07 PM by sambojin »

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2015, 03:04:33 AM »
@ Soro.... i don't even have this build saved anywhere... i think the reason why the Proto was even in there to cause the hairy spider to become Tiny.... but that doesn't help

i think if you pulled it out, it would still work w a sword spider replacement.

@ sambojin

you have to get rid of the Immobile ability to be able to move, despite whatever the speed section of the stat block says.

you could easily cast bard spells if you get your Cha higher.
-------------
funny thing? a will-o'-wisp gets an arm when it becomes a living wall
- All Spells
- playground

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2015, 03:52:05 PM »
Pull Specter too, the Dream thing makes you Incorporeal.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2015, 04:23:53 PM »
oh right, duh. still works w a couple tiny changes
- All Spells
- playground

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2015, 06:20:16 PM »
oh right, duh. still works w a couple tiny changes
Well it's getting there. I've not really been home and sure enough you just had to pick something that uses a half dozen 2nd party sources on top of buried web updates. :(

Sword Spider (3.0 FR:MoF + 3.5 FR:PGtF:WebUpdate): Vermin and no Intelligence.
Dream Element: Inherited, accepts Vermin and becomes Elemental. No Wisdom, Incorporeal means no Str.
Need a Template here that accepts Elemental and turn you to an Outsider.
Living Wall: Acquired, accepts Outsider, becomes Undead. No Str/Dex.

Per Type Pyramid, Elemental can only only be replaced by Ooze, Plant, Construct, Outsider, & Undead. And of those, Living Wall only accepts Outsider.

The good news is Outsider isn't that hard to obtain, Half-Fiend/Celestial is out due to the requirement of 4 Int but in a pinch several Spells can temporarily grant the Type for the acquisition process of Living Wall. Some digging may help if you want the strong support of a Template through.

Also drop Bard for Sorcerer, if possible you'll want Eternity of Torture, Blindness/Deafness, and (Greater) Bestow Curse to follow up with the cursed Wizard trick of rendering the character helpless, generally fails to act if it weren't, sitting in hell, etc.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 11:04:44 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2015, 07:02:19 PM »
@zook1shoe. Damn, I was hoping freedom of movement from the travel domain would override immobile for one round a day. That's pretty slow movement at 10' per day, keeping with the minimum stat theme. I guess you'd just have to travel by horse and cart or something instead. Animal friendship/speak with animals could sort out the control problems perhaps? It's not a playable character if it's immobile. But once you get outsider into the mix, it could be a record. Just not a playable record.

Maybe a level in Psion, with Psicrystal Affinity as a feat? Sure, you might not do much, but your crystal does heaps. It's actually better than you in every conceivable way. A wizard's familiar would work too. A raven, so it can talk (it's not limited in the language it knows, it's your choice, not necessarily one you know or can speak). The smaller the size of your character, the better. Your raven may have to drag you everywhere, and that's rather hard for a bird to do. Even if it has to peck you away from whatever is attaching you to the ground initially (big DR to not kill your character) or the ground itself (because you're incorporeal amongst other things), it could just work. Sure, you'd mostly be playing as a crystal or a talking bird, but that's still a completely legitimate roleplaying experience.

If CR17 remotely means character lvl17 in a templated thingo like this, your raven would kick a bit of arse as familiars go (it's levels, not wizard levels that determine the familiar's abilities. Pity psicrystals need actual psion/wilder levels, otherwise it'd be featastic for you with the real HD that crystals get). You could even see through the raven's eyes, it could talk to other ravens, you'd be like the raven king. Well, you'd actually be like some strange, shiny, smelly, colourful, ghostly looking thing that got picked up by a magpie for its nest, but still, completely legitimate roleplaying experience. Think of your raven familiar as your cohort, it's raven army as your followers, and build a bird empire.

Oooh, and Sorcerers begin play knowing spells. And get a familiar too. So you might not be able to cast any spells at the start of your adventuring career, but then you order your raven(s) to steal every godforsaken +charisma item on the planet. Then you win! Kind of.

Totally playable character......
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 08:54:16 PM by sambojin »

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2015, 09:20:17 PM »
Teleportation would probably work.
- All Spells
- playground

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2015, 09:33:34 PM »
But who'd cast teleportation on a blob-mess-thing to bring it closer to their enemies?

Is the +0LA thing accurate? CR17, but +0LA? If you wanted to play this as a savage species monster templated player character? Because other than its immobility, complete lack of stats, and numerous other downsides, it's pretty powerful for a lvl 1 character. I'd call it closer to +9LA, just due to CR17 (using the potential spell level from CR as a +LA amount usually works for really weird stuff).

It's pretty irrelevant, but when doing dumb stuff, make it as dumb as humanly possible.  :cool
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 09:43:49 PM by sambojin »

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2015, 10:06:22 PM »
@ Soro
petitioner? Afk, so can't double check some of that stuff

@ sambojin
Give Wet Biscuit enough sorcerer levels and Cha items, he could easily cast it on himself.

no, he has LA n/a, changing to a sword spider bumps him up to 8 racial HD.
---
yeah, he wasn't made for a crazy neigh-useless PC, he was built for his world record crappiest stats
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:16:11 PM by zook1shoe »
- All Spells
- playground