Author Topic: Fun Finds v7.0 - Now with +15% more reposts!  (Read 209616 times)

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds v7.0 - Now with +15% more reposts!
« Reply #240 on: June 22, 2016, 01:36:13 PM »
On topic, if you've ever wanted to mess with your annoying smite-happy party paladin, spend 5k on the Shrine of Sertous [FotY-t WE] and gain a mild evil aura despite being CG! Besides, getting cloudkill at 12HD isn't bad.

Also, I have no need of your homebrew fixes which is a lot of what you reference.
Ah the irony. Either you A) have a nebulous 'don't break shit' rule 0 (which doesn't work over the boards for many reasons), or you have B) a strict set of banned things, even outside TO. So unless you allow pp-recharging psions into your campaigns, you are using some of my balance fixes even if you don't know you are. Ideas aren't mutually exclusive after all.

You could always put it on a wiki. I'm really surprised there hasn't been a concerted effort to put everything on a wiki, tbh.
Aside from internet connection dependency, which wiki?

given what I've seen of your homebrew, I'm... unsure... as to whether or not your fixes are what I'd be looking for.
Your sample size is, what, 1 base class (with a near impossible goal), and the 10 commandments of homebrewing? I suppose the dirty handbook trick fixes qualifies, since its all about fixing RAW. Is there a numbered entry in there that you don't want fixed, and do want to see played at your table?

Also new material and balance tweaks are vastly different things.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 22, 2016, 01:41:17 PM »
And things went exactly where I'd expect them too.

All authors will viciously defend their homebrew, no matter how terrible or unofficial you perceive it to be, in any thread it comes up. IT's a great way to derail a thread if that's you're goal but less than useful otherwise...

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 22, 2016, 01:46:28 PM »
I just don't play with asshats to try to break the game.  That's worked out pretty well for me.  So I'm closer to your option A than anything which has ALWAYS worked in every PbP game that I've been involved with on the boards.

Whoever your target audience is for your homebrewed fixes, I'm not it.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 22, 2016, 03:01:21 PM »
I just don't play with asshats to try to break the game.  That's worked out pretty well for me.  So I'm closer to your option A than anything which has ALWAYS worked in every PbP game that I've been involved with on the boards.

Whoever your target audience is for your homebrewed fixes, I'm not it.

And I'm in the boat where I don't really give a fuck about 3.5 being broken anymore. I've stared into the Abyss, and have seen much worse. Save-or-die is a lot more fun than Perfect-or-die, let me tell you.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 22, 2016, 05:47:11 PM »
WRONG THREAD FOLKS. TAKE IT OUTSIDE.
(christ, why am I the one doing this? I feel like I'm yelling at my parents)

On-topic: Why isn't Invisible Stalker something people permanently PAO into more often? Being COMPLETELY invisible is kind of awesome.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 22, 2016, 05:53:25 PM »
(christ, why am I the one doing this? I feel like I'm yelling at my parents)

:lmao

I've been around forever, I can argue wherever I want. :p

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #246 on: June 22, 2016, 05:53:44 PM »
Invisible Stalker is a large air elemental w/ SU invis.

Unbodied has the incorporeal subtype
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 22, 2016, 07:33:06 PM »
Shimmermantle: Sor/Wiz 4, 10 minutes/level, has a 20% chance to negate ANYTHING. It can only absorb up to 10 damage/level (max 150), but non-damaging effects count as fairly little (DC - 10), so they don't run the spell out very quickly unless they're tied to something that deals damage also.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 22, 2016, 08:44:45 PM »
Speaking of...

Breathbarb is mostly a strictly better version of Explosive Runes.
* It triggers from a 5ft proximity rather than being read.
* It's 5d8 cap is 1.5 higher on average than 6d6.
* It hits a 20ft area rather than 10ft.
* It has the advantage of dealing whatever your breath weapon's damage type is.
* If dispelled it blows up just like Explosive Runes.
The only thing it's limited by is it's duration is 1/day per CL opposed to Permanent.

Glorytongue is a pervert's dream. It's an animated tongue, your tongue, that can grow up to 100ft in length as a Free Action. While holding it you can use it to deliver Touch Attacks, see through it's tip, and taste things. Oh, and it's only a 1st level Power so you can grab it with Hidden Talent.

The Incorporeal Sentinel Template keeps bringing you back to life if you die, you no longer need Material Components, your Paralyzing Breath option is 1d6+12 rounds, for some reason it decreases your CR by -4, but there is no way to obtain it so really I'm just providing a list of reasons why the BBEG Lich's Phylactery is so hard to recover.

More Animate Dead options, the Bone Lurker & Bonesting.
Bypass the Attune Gem Feat.
Muritho's Randomscatter gives you Resistance 5 to six energy types as a 2nd level Spell.
There was also Shimmer Sands but I closed the tab and lost it, Ranged Touch to deal CLd6 damage for CL/rounds as a 3rd or 4th level Spell, it expressly notes it breaks all glass items too. Not a bad damage Spell really.

And to section off just for a moment, Kaupaer's Quick Book has Quickblast which as a Swift Action deals five damage, if you happen to be a Stormcaster then will trigger your Thunderbolt allowing you to chuck a 1st level Slot as a Swift Action at someone to Stun them. Reflexive Strike is also nice because it adds the ability to make an extra AoO even if your Flat-Footed, which means you can finally AoO hidden or Invisible Creatures or even ones that simply won Initiative.

Buried even deeper in the FR stuff is the Magic-Infused Template which can be obtained by effectively visiting a rare location. It's mostly weak, for +1 LA to can reduce Spell-related damage by 1d6 per round which really isn't worth it, but the Template can be removed by Dispel Magic (it's CL is 24). It presents an interesting way to tinker with the Level dynamics of the game since you can increase or decrease your level effectively on a whim and there may be useful ways to harness this.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 09:25:20 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 22, 2016, 11:04:51 PM »
Hornhead Surials are large-sized humanoids. It's competing with Troglodytes as the premier Alter Self form for humanoids. Only one of the natural weapons (the tail) gets the increased reach from the larger size, not the claws or weapons you wield. Good for size-based stuff (trip, grapple, etc.) and if you want to wield oversized weapons, I guess.

Flyer Surials are small-size humanoids with a natural fly speed. Great Alter Self form for the movement mode. Then they get good natural weapons and natural armor to boot.

Edit: Multiple Head Casting feat lets you turn partial actions (the 3.0 equivalent of move standard actions) into spellcasting. It would be wonderful action economy breakage if there were any multi-headed races that made good spellcasters.
Correction: Standard action equivalent, not move action. But it's also actually saying a "free partial action" so I think it's actually an extra bonus action on top of your normal set of actions, but I dunno. It almost certainly evolved into Savage Species's Multivoice.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 01:27:08 PM by Garryl »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 23, 2016, 12:17:22 AM »
Edit: Multiple Head Casting feat lets you turn partial actions (the 3.0 equivalent of move actions) into spellcasting.
That's not even close to right, Partial Actions are equivalent to a Standard Action and you can already cast off them anyway.
Quote from: 3.0 SRD
Partial Action: As a general rule, a character can do as much with a partial action as a character could with a standard action minus a move. Typically, a character may take a 5-foot step as part of a partial action.
They were all so fully removed from the 3.5 Update. Like 3.0's Haste granted a Partial Action allowing you to double cast and looks what's become of it now.

Also the Feat you're talking about is superseded by Savage Species's 3.5 supporting replacement.
Quote from: SS pg37
MULTIVOICE [MONSTROUS]
If you have two or more heads, you can cast more spells than usual in a round.
Prerequisite: Dex 15, Int 15, two or more heads, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Multiattack, Quicken Spell, Two-Weapon Fighting.
Benefit: As a full-round action, you can cast one additional spell (or use a spell-like ability in combination with a spell or another spell-like ability) each round. Each spell used in this way must have a casting time of 1 action; a spell-like ability must also take no more than a standard action to use. Using this feat provokes an attack of opportunity.
If your concentration is interrupted during this simultaneous casting or spell-like ability use, whether by taking damage or by some other means, a Concentration check is required for each spell or spell-like ability. Failing either Concentration check negates both spells or spelllike abilities.
You can also use one head to cast a spell or use a spell-like ability while another head activates a head-based special attack, such as a breath weapon or an eye ray.
Normal: Without this feat, you can cast only one spell per round and cannot combine spellcasting with other actions.
Special: You still cannot exceed the limit of one quickened spell per round (assuming you also have the Quicken Spell feat) when using this feat.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 23, 2016, 12:22:50 AM »
My bad. Thanks for the correction.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 23, 2016, 01:05:29 PM »
My bad. Thanks for the correction.
np, most people really don't know too much about 3rd and even if they started in it they were too young or too inattentive to pay attention to the details. Hell the only reason I know them is to better handle updating to 3.5.

Savage Species also has the Multiheaded Template which allows you to take advantage of it.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 23, 2016, 04:35:42 PM »
Multiheaded might be workable.

If the racial of the racial hit dice, are Dragon or Outsider
then 2 RHD + 2 LA for the obvious goodie, isn't too bad.
idk if Tier 4 is the right tag for it, for the first 4 levels.

LA buy-off of course, and some of the usual suspects
for mid level optimizing.  Casters seem kinda restricted
violating 4 caelic commandments for 12 or so levels,
but Combat builds should be do-able.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 23, 2016, 05:09:36 PM »
If it's a high level game you can just use accelerated casting.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 23, 2016, 06:48:41 PM »
Neat combo:
Diverting Defense makes the first attack your Dodge target makes against you automatically miss, and causes them to roll that same attack against another creature flanking you. Requires that you're getting flanked.
Defensive Throw gives you a trip attack against your Dodge target if they miss an attack against you. Counts towards your attacks of opportunity. Combos well with Improved Trip (which is a prereq).
Deceptive Dodge lets you, once per turn while fighting defensively, cause an opponent attacking you that misses to instead attack a creature adjacent to you that's within their reach.
Robilar's Gambit gives you an attack of opportunity against anyone who attacks you, in exchange for giving them a +4 to hit and damage.

So let's say you get surrounded by a group of assholes. You fight defensively and designate the Rogue as your Dodge target. They attack you.

Next thing anyone knows, the Rogue just shanked two of his allies (or one of his allies and himself, if you can convince your DM that he's within his own reach), he's on the ground, and you punched him in the gut twice. You turn and grin at the rest of your enemies - that attack of opportunity let you shift your Dodge feat to another poor bastard.

Too bad this takes so many feats...
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 23, 2016, 10:18:47 PM »
So what you're saying is you found a use for Psychic Fighter?

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 23, 2016, 11:14:26 PM »

So what you're saying is you found a use for Psychic Fighter?

That could work. What would be really nice is getting 15ft reach with your unarmed strikes so you can use Great Throw to cancel full attacks made against you.

"What's that, Mr. Ubercharger? You were going to charge and Pounce for a full attack? No. Instead, you get to go sit in the corner."

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 24, 2016, 10:45:54 PM »
Well, Psychic Warriors already have a use since they are T3.

And they get an extra boost because of the Reach power at http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827e.

If they had the Inhuman Reach and/or Deformity: Tall feats then there's some amusing stuff to be done.  But damn that's a lot of feats.

Going into 2nd party for a bit, there's the Temerad Mastery I martial arts style in Dragon Mag 309 that the Dodge feat's dodge bonus to +2 and lets to split it into +1 against two attackers instead of +2 against one.  Alas, it requires getting Mobility and Spring Attack on top of the other feats.

Hey, let's add even more feats!  Combat Defense lets you change the target of your Dodge feat as an immediate action, and if you have 3 or more Combat Form feats (so just one more besides this one and its prereq) then you get an extra +1 dodge against the target of your Dodge feat.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 11:02:42 PM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 24, 2016, 11:54:02 PM »
Initiate of Amaunator is interesting, especially if you have ways of adding new Fire spells to your spell list. Divine Magician comes to mind.