Author Topic: Fun Finds v7.0 - Now with +15% more reposts!  (Read 209429 times)

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds v7.0 - Now with +15% more reposts!
« Reply #600 on: April 07, 2018, 04:09:29 PM »
Those magic item effects are amazing. "The item appears much larger than normal but functions as a normal sized version" is straight up "here's your anime bullshit stop asking"

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: April 07, 2018, 07:57:40 PM »
Those magic item effects are amazing. "The item appears much larger than normal but functions as a normal sized version" is straight up "here's your anime bullshit stop asking"
Combine it with the last one, your eyes become twice as large as normal with modified irises.

Offline TiaC

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Is this to be?
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: December 05, 2018, 04:38:31 AM »
The Buffeting Fists graft (MoE) is just about the best anti-archer defense. It give you Deflect Arrows for 13k, except that it works 1+Dex mod times per round. Even for characters without dex focuses, this approaches immunity, because it automatically blocks them, and you only need to spend a use if it would hit normally.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: December 05, 2018, 12:05:41 PM »
The Buffeting Fists graft (MoE) is just about the best anti-archer defense.
Nice for mundanes I suppose, but a Wandhilt & UMD can do better.
Quote from: Friendly Fire, EoE27
Abjuration
Level: Drd 4, Sor/Wiz 4, Stf 4; Components: V; Casting Time: 1 immediate action or 1 full round (see text); Range: Personal; Target: You; Duration: Instantaneous or 1 round/level (see text).
With an arcane word, you create a shimmering field of golden light around your body that pulses and wavers before vanishing.
Whenever you are the target of a ranged attack or a ranged touch attack, you can cast this spell to deflect the attack toward another target within 30 feet. Use the same attack roll. If the redirected attack hits the new target, resolve it as normal. Otherwise, the attack fails. If you extend the casting time to 1 full round, the duration changes from instantaneous to 1 round per caster level.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: December 05, 2018, 12:58:08 PM »
Unless you're shot more than once. It looks like the graft wins in that case.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: December 05, 2018, 11:47:28 PM »
Except that the full-round casting works against every ranged attack, including ranged touch attack spells, for its entire duration.  Spell wins in that instance.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: December 06, 2018, 06:36:51 AM »
It can be instant cast if needed which is a nice option for versatility. But it can be buffed up, or even Persisted, for multi-round protection. And instead of just wasting your opponent's offensive action, it turns it against them.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 08:10:14 AM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Nanashi

• it means "he who has no name" in a foreign tongue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: December 22, 2018, 02:04:31 AM »
Metamagic Wandgrips from Complete Mage (add metamagic to a wand 3/day at the cost of an extra charge per spell leave increase) should work with Eternal Wands. The 2/day means only +1 (or the rare +0 metamagic) will work on them and you'll need three eternal wands to get the full uses of your grips, but there is plenty of buffs that become all day when hit with extend (any third level hour/day spell at minimum CL) that can go on an eternal wand.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: December 22, 2018, 06:48:54 PM »
Off the top of my head, Metamagic Wandgrip says it works like the Metamagic Spell Trigger Feat.

And Eternal Wands are not Spell Trigger items, they are Command.

Offline magic9mushroom

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 04, 2019, 08:19:18 AM »
Searching the forum for this feat name didn't bring up anything, so this might not actually be a repost!

In Dragon 315, there's a selection of regional feats for Greyhawk, which was expanded on in Dragon 319 (this latter being the source of the infamous Faerie Mysteries Initiate and Troll-Blooded). So I thought I'd go through 315's Greyhawk feats and see if anything jumped out at me.

Driftwalker

You aren't slowed by snowy terrain, and know how to disguise your movements in the snow.
Regions: Frost Barbarians, Ice Barbarians, Perrenland, Snow Barbarians, Stonehold, wild elf, wood elf.
Benefit: It costs you no squares of movement to move into a snow-covered or heavy snow-covered square. You leave no tracks in snowy terrain and cannot be tracked. You may choose to leave a trail if so inclined.
Normal: Moving into a snow-covered square costs 2 squares of movement. Moving into a square covered by heavy snow costs 4 squares of movement.

I mean, given the finite nature of most campaign planets this doesn't break the speed record or anything, but I can't think of many movement abilities that give quite this much value for investment. Sure, it's situational, but... holy shit.

(And yes, I'm aware that whoever wrote this probably didn't intend for it to do what it does.)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 09:03:23 AM by magic9mushroom »

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 04, 2019, 12:38:47 PM »
So basically, you have infinite free movement while walking on snow.   Damn.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 04, 2019, 02:01:58 PM »
So basically, you have infinite free movement while walking on snow.   Damn.

"Want to see me cross Antartica and back?  Want to see me do it again?"
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 04, 2019, 03:20:58 PM »
I have a chracter with some Magebred Mules with that feat, though I remember it being printed outside of Dragon Mag  :plotting
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #613 on: February 15, 2019, 11:37:13 PM »
I think the only thing about Mystery of Xen'drik that is worth considering is that for a prepared caster,
*Ahem* Echoing Spell.

I also love the extra Magic Item Effects, heck those count as a Fun Find on their own. Page 157, some of the effects are simply flavorful like your footsteps are on fire briefly. But there are some useful minor things like for +50gp your Cloak of Charisma also makes your eyes glow and you gain a +1 circumstantial bonus to Intimidate or adding a +2 bonus to Concentration Check when trying to use the Magical Item for +100gp. +50gp for +1 Cold damage with Unarmed Strike isn't bad either and adds the ability to cool your drink down by punching it. There is also a strange everyone within 10ft tastes honey and you gain a +1 moral bonus to Diplomacy one too, but hey it only costs 50gp and it can be added to any Magic Item so why not.

What book again, please?

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 16, 2019, 01:49:54 AM »
What book again, please?

Secrets of Xen'drik, p157

Offline magic9mushroom

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: March 01, 2019, 09:44:20 PM »
There's a section in the Epic Level Handbook on Epic Leadership, and it mentions that you can't have a follower of effective follower level greater than 20 (i.e. no epic commoners/experts/warriors, no adepts or aristocrats of level 19+, and no PC classes of level 18+). This sounds like a reasonable rule... until you crunch the numbers.

See, you get a flat +100 followers of EFL 1 per extra point of Leadership score past 40, you get an EFL 2 follower for every ten EFL 1 followers (rounded up), and you get an EFL N+1 follower for every two EFL N followers where N > 1 (rounded up, except that 0.5 rounds to 0). So, what Leadership score would you need in order to get a follower of EFL 21 and therefore trigger the "no epic followers" rule?

You would get 2,621,500 EFL 1 followers, 262,150 EFL 2 followers, 131,075 EFL 3 followers, 65,538 EFL 4 followers, 32,769 EFL 5 followers, 16,385 EFL 6 followers, 8,193 EFL 7 followers, 4,097 EFL 8 followers, 2,049 EFL 9 followers, 1,025 EFL 10 followers, 513 EFL 11 followers, 257 EFL 12 followers, 129 EFL 13 followers, 65 EFL 14 followers, 33 EFL 15 followers, 17 EFL 16 followers, 9 EFL 17 followers, 5 EFL 18 followers, 3 EFL 19 followers, 2 EFL 20 followers, and one illegal EFL 21 follower, for a total of 3,145,814 (or 3,145,815 with the illegal epic follower). For reference, if you took Legendary Commander this would give you about half the population of Han China or the Roman Empire, or 90-95% of the population of Eberron (the whole planet; adding up all the population figures gives about 33.37 million, but there's no population data for Xen'drik outside Stormreach and Dar Qat so the drow, giants and other wilderness inhabitants there aren't included in that number).

Getting a Leadership score of 26,245 probably involves a level somewhere between 20,000 and 25,000; it's pretty trivial for the latter but rather difficult for the former (unless magic item boosts to Charisma are allowed to count toward Leadership; then you only need about level 220 or so, since a Cloak of Epic Charisma +52,000 only costs 27,040,000,000,000 gp and WBL at level 220 is over 383 trillion).

This isn't really a "fun find" in the normal sense of "I'm so taking that", but it's still hilarious and I wanted to share it (as an aside, it does demonstrate how low the population of fantasy worlds tends to be, as Eberron's population is substantially lower than even Classical Earth, let alone mediaeval Earth which had about ten times Eberron's population).

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #616 on: March 01, 2019, 11:58:57 PM »
I been interested in the World of Leadership for a while...

I envision 1 God King and the first tier followers being regional leaders and so on down to lvl 1 soldiers...

3m followers, maybe 100 : 1 (normies : followers)
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline Vladeshi

• Feel free to ignore me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: March 02, 2019, 08:15:47 AM »
Another case of was the guy writing this paying attention.

Blue Dragons have Sound Imitation
A juvenile or older blue dragon can mimic any voice or sound it has heard, anytime it likes.
Listeners must succeed on a Will save (DC equal to that of the dragon's frightful presence) to detect the ruse.

Juvenile Blue Dragons don't have frightful presence yet, so what is the DC supposed to be?

In the SRD it turns out they just changed it to a Bluff Vs. Sense Motive check.
The following explanation has been removed due to time constraints, character limits on posts, and the DC 30 Spellcraft checks to understand large portions of it.

Offline magic9mushroom

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 02, 2019, 08:46:49 AM »
Another case of was the guy writing this paying attention.

Blue Dragons have Sound Imitation
A juvenile or older blue dragon can mimic any voice or sound it has heard, anytime it likes.
Listeners must succeed on a Will save (DC equal to that of the dragon's frightful presence) to detect the ruse.

Juvenile Blue Dragons don't have frightful presence yet, so what is the DC supposed to be?
They don't have frightful presence, but the formula for frightful presence DC (10 + half HD + Cha) can be applied to them. Still a mistake, but a fairly-minor one.
No, they didn't.

Offline Vladeshi

• Feel free to ignore me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 02, 2019, 03:26:26 PM »
No, they didn't.

Turns out I wasn't paying attention and that was the Pathfinder SRD.  :blush
The following explanation has been removed due to time constraints, character limits on posts, and the DC 30 Spellcraft checks to understand large portions of it.