Author Topic: Recharge Magic Handbook (discussion)  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
Recharge Magic Handbook (discussion)
« on: February 19, 2012, 02:01:14 PM »
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=3467

The 15 minute workday has long been a point of annoyance and stalling at my D&D table. My lastest DM endeavor has been running Age of Worms, and I strongly encouraged Tome of Battle to PCs who wanted to play melee. It's been a big hit as a deviation from standard melee & 1-trick pony feat setups. However, the workday is still tied down by the spellcasters.

I've been considering the use of Recharge Magic if/when I manage to kill off the spellcasting PCs, or there is otherwise a desire to reroll.

As such, I compiled my thoughts on how gameplay & optimization may change, and compiled it into a handbook.

Any comments any feedback is welcome.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Re: Recharge Magic Handbook (discussion)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 06:22:21 PM »
Niice.

iirc - there was only one thread on Recharge Magic back at BG.

Managing the Action Economy becomes more important
to get all those individual level slots recharging during combat.
There's a fairly hard cap, on the number of spells you can
sling within any given round

I think of the concept like a Domain. You've got a single level
slot to fill, but by whatever spells known.  Then that level slot
recharges at a rate independent of the other level slots.
Spamming 1s at 15th level is no real option  :rolleyes

Heighten tricks seem to be the key to the whole thing.
Too bad most of it is seriously cheesy.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 10:33:55 PM »
Yeah, I looked up those threads prior to writing, but forgot to go back and link & do some copy/paste on some of the gems.
Dropped in your spell sequencing example, something that definitely needed illustration

As far as action economy, I've been looking for spells such as Light of X, where it can be pre-cast and expended later.
Also perhaps need to find some swift action feats that are worth it.
Typically my players have been pretty good at grabbing magic items with swift action activates, so it hasn't been on my mind too much about expending multiple spells per round, as per Quicken, swift action spells or other methods.

Heighten can certainly lead to some circumventions, of which I try to doc in the house rules section.
Also reminds me I need to make mention of Shadowcraft Mage. Another case where effectively having 1000 spells known all day isn't so good.

Offline turok124

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 11:52:08 PM »
"Arcane fusion" might be worth special mention for getting around specific recharge spells like polymorph, or enchantment spells.  Cheesie though.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 09:11:17 PM »
Noted, thanks

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Even forever must end, I think. ...
    • View Profile
    • Legend RPG, Rule of Cool Gaming
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 03:06:09 PM »
I'm surprised this handbook doesn't mention Sanctum Spell [Metamagic]. It drops the effective level of the spell outside of your sanctum, which decreases the recharge time:
Spellcasters who prepare spells simply put the metamagic versions of the spells they want in the appropriate spell slots, and they’re cast at their effective level. For example, casting a quickened magic missile forces a spellcaster to recharge her 5th-level spells, not her 1st-level spells. Sorcerers and bards take a full-round action to add metamagic to any spell they know, and casting that spell forces a recharge of the effective level of the metamagic spell. For example, an extended haste spell cast by a sorcerer would require a recharge roll for a 4th-level spell.
Not only do specific recharge spells use higher slots if metamagic feats have been applied to them, but each +1 to the effective level of the spell doubles the recharge time. For example, a silent charm person spell takes up a 2nd-level spell slot and has a specific recharge time of 2 hours.

For specific recharge spells, by RAW, it has no effect, but it is beneficial for general recharge spells. Just make sure you're not in your Sanctum.
"You had a tough day at the office. So you come home, make
yourself some dinner, smother your kids, pop in a movie, maybe
have a drink. It's fun, right? Wrong. Don't smother your kids."
- The More You Know

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 06:31:34 PM »
So where is the discussion about how this makes casters into even more powerful breaker of campaigns? I see the "DM casters get to spam" but your DM could have been naughty and done that already.

How much more powerful does it make a board-optimized wizard? How much more powerful does it make a boring, low optimization druid?