Author Topic: Campaign Rules Questions and Chargen  (Read 25897 times)

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
Re: Campaign Rules Questions and Chargen
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2012, 05:25:35 PM »
Do my pets need special tricks to hide on command?

I want to put my Corollax in my top hat.  The bird hides, taking 10 for 22 or more.  There are small holes in the sides and top of the hat so it can color spray when it senses danger.

I also hoped to get a black Corollax or be able to paint mine black for stealth purposes.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2012, 05:27:50 PM »
Do my pets need special tricks to hide on command?
Yeah, make Hide a trick.

I want to put my Corollax in my top hat.  The bird hides, taking 10 for 22 or more.  There are small holes in the sides and top of the hat so it can color spray when it senses danger.
That... is hilarious.

I also hoped to get a black Corollax or be able to paint mine black for stealth purposes.
Then...
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2012, 07:50:37 PM »
Is a black Corollax OK?

How much cover and concealment does my porthole top hat provide?

Eberron Campaign Setting lists class features that I can get extra uses of by spending action points (AP).  Are these the -only- abilities I can use more often by spending AP?  I ask because I want to use Abrupt Jaunt more often by spending AP.

For purposes of planar binding spells, can I use the psionic version of dimensional anchor instead of the magical one to trap my pretties in a magic circle?

When is XP awarded?  Sometimes, it's at the end of a session, or a story arc, or right after doing something worth XP.

Do I need to do anything special to level, such as sleep or find a trainer?

How important is it that I carry identification papers?

Are we running the Forgery skill as-is?  If so, detecting a forgery requires the Forgery skill, which I had forgotten about until this afternoon.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:18:55 PM by Endarire »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2012, 12:00:36 PM »
Is a black Corollax OK?
Corollaxes have racial coloration.  If you want a black one, you can paint it, cover it in tar, etc.

How much cover and concealment does my porthole top hat provide?
Hats are not that large, it'll block LoE for example.  Improved cover, certainly.  However, anything targeting the hat is likely to hit you.  You'd better strap the hat on...

Eberron Campaign Setting lists class features that I can get extra uses of by spending action points (AP).  Are these the -only- abilities I can use more often by spending AP?  I ask because I want to use Abrupt Jaunt more often by spending AP.
OK, you can get an extra use of AJ by spending an AP.

For purposes of planar binding spells, can I use the psionic version of dimensional anchor instead of the magical one to trap my pretties in a magic circle?
Sure.

When is XP awarded?  Sometimes, it's at the end of a session, or a story arc, or right after doing something worth XP.
I haven't decided yet.

Do I need to do anything special to level, such as sleep or find a trainer?
Nope.

How important is it that I carry identification papers?
Depends on where you go & who you run into.

Are we running the Forgery skill as-is?  If so, detecting a forgery requires the Forgery skill, which I had forgotten about until this afternoon.
Yes.  However, there are certain forgeries that are more commonly recognized -- forging bank notes is very difficult, because lots of people are trained to notice it.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2012, 07:50:52 PM »
I updated Alamar's sheet with ID papers (and a chin strap for his top hat!) and made note that the Corollax is painted black.

Also, Alamar has a goal to complete fairly immediately.  He hopes to merchandise his show!  For example, he wants to sell plushie ('stuffed animal') versions of his body in costume, his face, and his pets.  Also, how'zbout some top hats, capes, and Alamar masks for the kids, and even adults?  And candy.  Gotta have candy.  (Chocolate bars/treats and other colorful sugary stuff.  See modern shows for inspiration.)

I can see it now:  Alamar the Benevolent in The Quest for Merch!

Further action point questions:  Can a martial adept use an AP to refresh all his expended maneuvers?  What about changing his readied maneuvers for other ones he knows?  Can a Crusader use an AP to instantly be granted all of his withheld maneuvers, or a certain arbitrary number of his choosing?

Can a person use an AP to emulate knowledge of a stance or maneuver for which he meets all prerequisites?  How long can he use said maneuver?  Can he refresh it?  What if he isn't a martial adept?

I plan to use shrink item.  The intended uses seem to be, "Drop very large objects on foes!" and "Steal it because it's there!"  Any qualms on this spell?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 04:24:06 AM by Endarire »

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2012, 05:07:29 AM »
Also, beep bop boop bump!

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2012, 08:41:34 PM »
I updated Alamar's sheet with ID papers (and a chin strap for his top hat!) and made note that the Corollax is painted black.

Also, Alamar has a goal to complete fairly immediately.  He hopes to merchandise his show!  For example, he wants to sell plushie ('stuffed animal') versions of his body in costume, his face, and his pets.  Also, how'zbout some top hats, capes, and Alamar masks for the kids, and even adults?  And candy.  Gotta have candy.  (Chocolate bars/treats and other colorful sugary stuff.  See modern shows for inspiration.)

I can see it now:  Alamar the Benevolent in The Quest for Merch!
(click to show/hide)

Further action point questions:  Can a martial adept use an AP to refresh all his expended maneuvers?  What about changing his readied maneuvers for other ones he knows?  Can a Crusader use an AP to instantly be granted all of his withheld maneuvers, or a certain arbitrary number of his choosing?

Can a person use an AP to emulate knowledge of a stance or maneuver for which he meets all prerequisites?  How long can he use said maneuver?  Can he refresh it?  What if he isn't a martial adept?
No to all.  Maneuvers are a much less limited resource than use/day abilities.

I plan to use shrink item.  The intended uses seem to be, "Drop very large objects on foes!" and "Steal it because it's there!"  Any qualms on this spell?
Love that spell.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2012, 10:03:56 PM »
Business-wise, the DMG2 has rules on running a business.  In short, they're ridiculous.  Recapitalization can go toward infinity, and the riskier the business, the more likely I am to make money!  (Technically, there's a balance, but any entrepreneur worth his wage won't invest in an unprofitable business!)

Frank & K have their spiel here, on pages 147-149, where they explain a more sensical version of businesses in D&D.  (Homebrew, but one I encourage due to 3.5's failure here.)

Explosive runes:  Given the spell and ample castings, I can do VAPORIZEd6 damage to anything in the radius.  (A purposely failed dispel check or a casting of amaneunsis will set it off from range.)  What are your thoughts on this spell?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 03:56:24 AM by Endarire »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2012, 04:41:16 PM »
Business-wise, the DMG2 has rules on running a business.  In short, they're ridiculous.  Recapitalization can go toward infinity, and the riskier the business, the more likely I am to make money!  (Technically, there's a balance, but any entrepreneur worth his wage won't invest in an unprofitable business!)

Frank & K have their spiel here, on pages 147-149, where they explain a more sensical version of businesses in D&D.  (Homebrew, but one I encourage due to 3.5's failure here.)
Yes, that works for me.

Explosive runes:  Given the spell and ample castings, I can do VAPORIZEd6 damage to anything in the radius.  (A purposely failed dispel check or a casting of amaneunsis will set it off from range.)  What are your thoughts on this spell?
One casting per object.  If you try to cast more, it goes boom due to interactions between the spell energies.

Yes, this means you could make a bunch of 6d6 grenades and trigger them with an amanuensis wand.  Not a problem.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2012, 10:25:51 PM »
Does Mental Toughness (our reworking of Initiate of the Faerie Mysteries) also apply to WIS or/and CHA?

How many times per round can a Ruby Knight Vindicator use Divine Impetus, thereby granting him an extra swift action?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 10:49:42 PM by Endarire »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2012, 08:48:58 AM »
Does Mental Toughness (our reworking of Initiate of the Faerie Mysteries) also apply to WIS or/and CHA?
Nope.

How many times per round can a Ruby Knight Vindicator use Divine Impetus, thereby granting him an extra swift action?
I'm not sure.  Clearly the intent was to have it be more than once per round (y'know, since they had no concept of the action economy), but we also don't want it to be absurd.  Let's say that you can do it a number of times per round equal to your Cha mod.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2012, 10:03:02 PM »
For areas, do we normally target squares/cubes or intersections as center points?  (I normally play with targeting squares, but the DMG uses intersections.)  For example, if I cast glitterdust, a 10' radius, and we're targeting squares, then I choose a square as the center point, the spell includes that square and everything within a 10' radius of it.  If I instead target an intersection, that's one less square affected.

What are your thoughts on using haunt shift to build me a better body?
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 10:20:44 PM by Endarire »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2012, 10:10:10 PM »
For areas, do we normally target squares/cubes or intersections as center points?  (I normally play with targeting squares, but the DMG uses intersections.)  For example, if I cast glitterdust, a 10' radius, and we're targeting squares, then I choose a square as the center point, the spell includes that square and everything within a 10' radius of it.  If I instead target an intersection, that's one less square affected.

I tend to do squares.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2012, 10:21:07 PM »
Check again.  I asked about haunt shift while you were updating!

Also, are you trying to keep my game and Phae's game in relative sync?  (For example, if I'm behind you give me more attention, and if he's behind you give him more attention.)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2012, 10:24:37 PM »
Check again.  I asked about haunt shift while you were updating!
I'm okay with the trick, within reason.

Also, are you trying to keep my game and Phae's game in relative sync?  (For example, if I'm behind you give me more attention, and if he's behind you give him more attention.)
  Yes, -ish.  I won't try super hard, but it'd be nice.  Anyway you guys are pretty okay right now.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2012, 10:38:33 PM »
Can I take the feat Extra Familiar, from Dragon 280?  It has no prereqs, but it implies that I must already have a familiar.  (For a comparison, see Cleave, which has prereqs listed.)  The goal is to get a hummingbird familiar, which you already approved.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2012, 01:42:14 PM »
Can I take the feat Extra Familiar, from Dragon 280?  It has no prereqs, but it implies that I must already have a familiar.  (For a comparison, see Cleave, which has prereqs listed.)  The goal is to get a hummingbird familiar, which you already approved.
According to the article, that feat is only available to a wizard or sorcerer with a familiar.  So there's an explicit implied prerequisite.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2012, 08:50:24 PM »
Do [Teleport] effects allow me to change my orientation?  For example, can I use Abrupt Jaunt from a standing position to arrive sitting on my mule?  (I hope so!)

Do [Teleport] effects preserve momentum?  For example, if I cast teleport falling through the air at terminal velocity, will I arrive at terminal velocity?  (I hope not!)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2012, 03:06:59 PM »
Do [Teleport] effects allow me to change my orientation?  For example, can I use Abrupt Jaunt from a standing position to arrive sitting on my mule?  (I hope so!)
Yes.

Do [Teleport] effects preserve momentum?  For example, if I cast teleport falling through the air at terminal velocity, will I arrive at terminal velocity?  (I hope not!)
No.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2012, 05:18:48 AM »
Let's assume I make a Dragonborn (Wings) creature.  He has 1 HD.  He then takes the Mineral Warrior template.  When his HD total becomes 6, does he gain the ability to fly?  Upon becoming a Mineral Warrior, does he lose his ability to glide?

What are your thoughts on the Savage Species page 14 rule that states a creature/class combo ill suited for each other gets -1 LA?  If this works, does a Mineral Warrior Druid have no LA?