Author Topic: [SWSE] Dawn of Defiance LFM players  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Melblen_Cairn

• PbP Game Master
  • TPK's are my business, and business is good.
    • View Profile
[SWSE] Dawn of Defiance LFM players
« on: June 24, 2016, 08:35:52 AM »
Long running DOD game needs a few more players to replace those that have retired due to busy schedules. This is a long haul game. We started back in 2010 on BG and it has been fairly consistent since. We are looking for 2 or 3 more players.

Gaming group consists so far of;

Nanshork playing Silten a Sluissi Techie type eventually going Sabetour
Lord Blades playing a near human Blazing Chain pirate (has not been introduced yet)

So there are a lot of roles left to fill. I run a fairly diverse mix of Skill Challenges and Combat Encounters so balanced characters tend to fair better than highly specialized ones.

Here is the original post from BG about the games character creation rules and some other stuff (updated with current info);

It takes place at the start of the Dark Times, just a short time after Episode III. Nice about the timing of this is there are many sources I will let you draw from.

Core Rules
Clones Wars CG
Force Unleashed CG
Galaxy at War
Galaxy of Intrigue
Unknown Regions
Jedi Academy Training Manual
Scum and Villainy
Starships of the Galaxy
Scavenger's Guide to Droids

I might even allow certain feats and such from the other campaign guides on a case by case basis.

As promised here are the house rules I would like to use if you guys are a go;
Character Creation:
   -  Characters begin at level 1 now level 3.
        -  Point buy of 28 points
   -  No Droid rules abuse will be allowed
   -  No dark side/evil characters, you can be selfish/neutral but once you cross over you can either start a new character or go for a whole redemption thing.
   -  No crazy character optimization without background story. I enjoy creativity and character development from my players. If you want to optimize the character go for it but it better have a good story based reason. Everything taken for a character needs to be backed up by background story or make sense within the character's development. Though I have found that in Saga Edition, a good well rounded character does better than one created to serve one specialized purpose.
   -  I encourage everyone to fill out a modified version of Providing Ammo For The GM questionnaire. Bonus 250 exp for doing so but beyond that it will help with the characters development. (Something I enjoyed using from the two PbP's I was playing in under Jacemachine, I will send out as we are in the character creation process.)
   -  While creating a background I encourage depth and research. Use Wookieepedia for information. If you pick a particular race, learn more about it than just it's stats. Get to know any common knowledge, history, and basic info about the home world from which the character originated. If you want to get really creative and have a character from a original world, lets work together on creating it.
   -  Jedi are entirely welcome in this campaign. Know that any force sensitive is going to have it rough during the dark times. Knowing your Jedi character will die (might not within the scope of this campaign) creates a unique RP opportunity.

In Play Rules:
   Dark Side Score
      - You will not be told what your dark side score is at specifically. You will only be told how your character would feel in relation to how close you are to your max dark side score.
      - Deeds that increase your dark side score could give you more than one point based on severity.
      - Also when spending force points to decrease your dark side score you be advised in a similar manner as above.
      - Significant good deeds or several good deads in a row will lower your score.
   Deflect/Block
      - Those with deflect may deflect/block attacks made against others if they are in the line of fire and adjacent to the target for ranged or adjacent to the attacker and target for melee. You take a -5 to your Use the Force to do this. So if you have used block/deflect once already then use it again to block for someone else you would role at a -10 (-5 for subsequent deflect/block, and -5 for blocking/deflecting for another)
      - You may deflect normal blaster fire using the normal rules. Where it gets dicey, is when you attempt to deflect vehicle laser fire. The general rule I have used for a while now is if the weapon has a x# multiplier to damage that is the multiplier to the DC you need to hit for the Use the Force check to deflect as well.
   Jet Packs
      - I have a huge problem with the jet pack rules. There is a reason you don't see everyone with one in the movies. After seeing them abused by entire groups, I instituted a feat to operate one without penalty.  It is Jet Pack Operation, Prerequisite: must be trained in the Pilot Skill, Benefit: Operate a Jet Pack without penalty. Normal: Using a jet pack without this feat confers a -4 penalty to the pilot skill to take off/move/land.
   Experience
      - I think the exp distribution within DoD, and Saga rules in general, is flawed. It is much too fast to allow for side treks and potential flash back sequences (something I really enjoyed out of another PbP I played in).  I have slowed exp progression to allow for these things.
   Second Wind
     -Use of the Second Wind is now Encounter based and refreshes after a short rest taken after each encounter. Feats and talents that used to give extra uses per day now provide extra uses per encounter. Otherwise the Catching a Second Wind functions as normal.
   Treat Injury Updates
     -You may now use a skill use to allow another to catch a second wind without spending actions to do so (normally catching a second wind is a swift action). This is a DC = 15 and the use is a Standard Action.
     -You may now use this skill to allow another character to recover from non-persistent condition track loss without spending actions to do so (normally recovery costs 3 swift actions). This is a DC 15 and the use is a Standard Action.
     -The First Aid skill use is now a Standard Action to use. I think we may have been playing already using this, but the Core Rules shows this was a full round action.
     -Performing Surgery will give the patient their CON Score in hitpoints back in addition to removing persistent conditions.
   Med Packs
     -Med Packs can now be used more than once per day. This is not without risks. The first use works exactly as it did before. The second and subsequent uses increases the DC by 5 each time becoming the new DC to gain additional hit points from.
For example, Rald is using first aid on Kel for the second time, the new DC is a 20 and he rolls a 22. Kel regains his level in hit points but gains only 2 extra hitpoints (instead of what could be 7 under the previous DC). The next time a med pack is used on Kel the DC would now be a 25.
Failure on the increased DC means the subject moves down one place on the condition track and has a persistent condition. After an extended rest period the number of med pack uses refreshes back to 0 and the DC becomes a 15 again.

Cannon
   - While I do attempt to stick with most cannon from the movies, I don't have the time to keep track of every little cannon detail in the entire SW expanded universe. If something happens to go against what we may be doing in our campaign then we can ignore it or say people just remember how things went down differently.

With that I should also let you guys know I have been gaming for more than 20 years, and DM/GMing for most of it, but I have never run a PbP. I have been playing in PbP's for only a few short years. I learned a lot from Jacemachine's style in PbP's, though I am not nearly as artistic.

Some standard PbP stuff:
Rolling would be through Invisible Castle The Unseen Servant.
Character Sheets on Myth Weavers.
I highly recommend Wookkiepedia as an info source.
Use spoiler blocks for minor OOC comments and rolling results (I will have a separate OOC thread though)

Please post here with you interest and we can move the more detailed discussions over to our OOC thread over on our game's area.
Wisdom has two parts; having a lot to say, and not saying it.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: [SWSE] Dawn of Defiance LFM players
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 10:38:14 AM »
I just want to say that this game is enjoyable and worth playing.

Also, for those who know me you know that I've convinced Melblen to create a thread for dice rolling use the board's dice roller if you don't want to go offsite (although I'm the only one who's ever used the thread...)

Also I have a SWSE character sheet people can steal, just like some people enjoy using my 3.5 sheet.  :p

Offline Shadowhunter

• E6/E8 fanboy.
    • View Profile
    • The additional vestige collection for all you Binder players out there.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 01:44:36 PM »
Having played the first module with these gentlemen over last... how many years it's been, (five? six?), I can tell you that they won't let a declining game die and soldier on. Hopefully this time around, with a few more active players, things will go quicker. Well worth hopping onto this if you think you can come up with a suitable character :)

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 01:52:04 PM »
If you don't mind someone totally new to the system, I'll look into it. I've always liked the setting. And have enough time to post regularly.
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline Melblen_Cairn

• PbP Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 04:09:15 PM »
Don't mind new players to a system at all. Do you have the books already, PDFs can usually be found pretty easy online for them.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 04:33:05 PM »
I think I have some of them already. Will get a hold of the rest.
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline Melblen_Cairn

• PbP Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 08:36:23 PM »
Still plenty of room folks. Would like to get one more player at least but two more would be great.

Offline Clanjos

• Super Smiting Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 02:25:03 PM »
I've got an old character I can dig up. The equivalent of a Hong Kong knockoff of an R2 unit.

A knockoff astromech designed by "Funtastic," a shell company for a shell company of a Hutt's shell company. He was constructed around 60 BBY, originally intended as a hollow droid chassis for drug smuggling, before the factory realized it would be more profitable to make crappy droids than smuggle a few deathsticks. It took three or four design alterations in order to retrofit them into actual droids. This leaves M8 with a number of features and parts he can't use due to stripped parts or programming. Functions include refrigeration and heating units, an incomplete complement of astromech tools, and various other useless gadgets.

To give a summary of the level of sheer incompetence that went into M8's design, Funtastic Space Office Droids™ are marketed as "BEING OF MAXIMUM QULITY," having "GOOD FEELS AND EXCELLENT TASTES," featuring parts allegedly contracted from "Industreel Automton."
Quote from:  a weekly game
"Sometimes, even an adventurer needs a backrub."

Offline Melblen_Cairn

• PbP Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 03:38:30 PM »
Hilarious!

Offline Melblen_Cairn

• PbP Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 08:16:46 AM »
If you can find it or recreate it, I would be very interested in having you join. Go ahead and join us in our OOC thread over in the dawn of defiance game.