Author Topic: Making magical items question  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Zellsantal

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Making magical items question
« on: February 22, 2020, 11:51:21 AM »
Ok I been looking online for formulas on making magical items but cant find what I am looking for. I have a  few guess's but still not sure how it goes. Below is a list of what I am looking to do so if you can help me out I would be very greatful.

Nightstick-
the cost is 7500 for 4 extra turnings, the only think I can think of that would be in the rules is then 'Charges per day' which is divided by 5 for each charge. So were is the base price coming form and how it became that price? because I would like to add this effect on other items like a swords instead on a rod if I can, just not sure how you do it with turnings.

Feats-
On another post I've asked a simaler question and will use that for a base for this question. Feats don't have a caster level or a spell level so I don't know what it would cost to put a feat effect into an item. Two in mind are lord of uttercold and energy substation, they are metamagic but have 0 level cost, to my guessing on how to add them in is the 'use-activated or continuous' section which would cost 2000 for each feat. Is that right or have I forgot to add something?

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Re: Making magical items question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 03:09:14 PM »
Nightsticks ---> 2 Nightsticks ---> 3 Nightsticks
only quibble, is multiple nightsticks was almost immediately considered to be bad form, because of multiple DMM Persists (and more).
Homegame? Go nuts, have fun.

Feats = no easy answer.
short list --> http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=8907
longer list(s) ---> http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=4099
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 06:33:27 PM »
Ok I been looking online for formulas on making magical items but cant find what I am looking for. I have a  few guess's but still not sure how it goes. Below is a list of what I am looking to do so if you can help me out I would be very greatful.

Nightstick-
the cost is 7500 for 4 extra turnings, the only think I can think of that would be in the rules is then 'Charges per day' which is divided by 5 for each charge. So were is the base price coming form and how it became that price? because I would like to add this effect on other items like a swords instead on a rod if I can, just not sure how you do it with turnings.

Feats-
On another post I've asked a simaler question and will use that for a base for this question. Feats don't have a caster level or a spell level so I don't know what it would cost to put a feat effect into an item. Two in mind are lord of uttercold and energy substation, they are metamagic but have 0 level cost, to my guessing on how to add them in is the 'use-activated or continuous' section which would cost 2000 for each feat. Is that right or have I forgot to add something?
Most magic items that grant feats cost about 8,000gp market price.  And you can look at a Nightstick as granting the Extra Turning feat.  There is no specific formula for each, so reverse engineering is all we have.  But they were quite consistent about the 8k per feat.  (Horizon Goggles, Gloves of the Balanced Hand, Nightstick, even the Dark Blue Rhomboid Ioun falls in range with the markup for being slotless.  The Fanged Ring is stupidly cheap on the other hand.)  To add an effect to another item the Magic Item Compendium went with a +50% surcharge. 

So 12,000gp market price to tack on a feat (or 4 extra turn attempts) to another item.  Though as a DM, letting people add feats to items willy nilly might call for an escalating price for each feat beyond the first, much like enhancement bonuses scale up.

Offline Hades

• Stop Time, Thou art so beautiful!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 10:31:40 PM »
Nightsticks ---> 2 Nightsticks ---> 3 Nightsticks
only quibble, is multiple nightsticks was almost immediately considered to be bad form, because of multiple DMM Persists (and more).

One of the best quotes about nightsticks I've ever heard.
Player: "how many nightsticks can I stack?"
DM: "How many pencils can I put in your a$$?"

It's 3.0, but Arms & Equipment Guide has this line about Magic Items that Grant Feats "A general guideline for other kinds of feats is that they cost 10,000 gp, plus another 5,000 gp to 10,000 gp per prerequisite."

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 10:04:18 PM »
One of the best quotes about nightsticks I've ever heard.
Player: "how many nightsticks can I stack?"
DM: "How many pencils can I put in your a$$?"

For some, a small price to pay.

For others, an unexpected bonus.

Usually it's the paladin with a stick up their rear though, not the cleric.