Author Topic: homebrew porting etiquette  (Read 2168 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
homebrew porting etiquette
« on: June 23, 2012, 09:17:30 PM »
I want to port Stratovarius's Past, Present, and Future homebrew over to the new boards.  Strat isn't around, either here or on gitp, for me to ask.  So, what's the etiquette for something like this?

a) Should I port it over at all?
b) Do I have to port it as-is, or can I change superficial things like tables?
c) Would it be wrong to edit for clarity on some things, if I make very clear notes on what I edited?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
Re: homebrew porting etiquette
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 02:56:18 PM »
A - Where possible, the original poster's wishes is to be respected. Where their wishes aren't clear(e.g. the creator didn't forbid mirroring), it can be possible to post their material, as long as the creator is clearly cited. If they complain, it would be taken down, if they register, it should be turned over to the proper owner(once Forum Staff is informed).

B & C - Preferably port as-is, however, each forum software uses different tables, so editing of layout elements is generally fine. It should be also clearly marked somewhere that you edited for readability. If actual content is altered, you should probably make it "Based off <foo>'s work on <original material>", and post that way.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 02:59:34 PM by veekie »
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline archangel.arcanis

• View Profile
Re: homebrew porting etiquette
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 12:59:48 PM »
I would probably open up such a thread with something like:
This is the work of XYZ with edits by ABC. Edits from the original will be made in <this color>

Just as a CYA for all involved. That way the original author and editor are given their due credit and the reader understands what changes have been made as well.