Author Topic: Anime & Manga 5: HISSATSU OUGI!  (Read 46680 times)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Anime & Manga 5: HISSATSU OUGI!
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2015, 05:26:18 PM »
Both of which pause half-way through for a filler on other characters getting new training/powers that'll never get spoken of again.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2015, 06:53:32 PM »
If Kill la Kill was done by the Gurren Lagann team as a fanservice anime, and Gurren Lagann was done as a mecha anime...

...I wonder what they'do do as a martial arts anime.
Wait, you're implying that Gurren Lagann wasn't already a martial arts anime? 

Because all the arcs end with both main character and main villain going "screw those clunky machines, we shall decide the fate of the world/universe with our fists/tiny melee weapons!" :P

Or, Cthulhu forbid, A SPORTS ANIME.
That would be complicated to say the least, since the whole concept of sports is about both parties following a set of rules.

Or you could go the Yu-Gi-Ho route and have a sport where the players don't know the rules, enforcement being performed by some mysterious automatic entity that only warns you when you're performing an illegal action but will never tell you what's allowed, and the show is all about people gambling how ahead they can get. :p

Oh, yes, I've got campaigns to update. Just been a very busy week. And weekend will be too. And September. Gah....

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2015, 07:39:55 PM »
Now to get back on watching Dirty Pair (80s version)...

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2015, 09:38:46 AM »
If Kill la Kill was done by the Gurren Lagann team as a fanservice anime, and Gurren Lagann was done as a mecha anime...

...I wonder what they'do do as a martial arts anime.
Wait, you're implying that Gurren Lagann wasn't already a martial arts anime? 

Because all the arcs end with both main character and main villain going "screw those clunky machines, we shall decide the fate of the world/universe with our fists/tiny melee weapons!" :P

That would be complicated to say the least, since the whole concept of sports is about both parties following a set of rules.

Or you could go the Yu-Gi-Ho route and have a sport where the players don't know the rules, enforcement being performed by some mysterious automatic entity that only warns you when you're performing an illegal action but will never tell you what's allowed, and the show is all about people gambling how ahead they can get. :p

Oh, yes, I've got campaigns to update. Just been a very busy week. And weekend will be too. And September. Gah....

Nonononono. Gurren Lagann was clearly mecha-focused. As in "let's see how big we can make this bastard". (You'd think it was all a setup for a penis enlargement product.)

And not necessarily. The rules need only be vague enough to make it work. "Two teams. One ball. Two designated scoring areas. LET THE BLOODBATH BEGIN!"
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2015, 05:24:30 AM »

To be fair quite a lot of the early part of Kill la Kill revolves around various sports matches.

Boxing, tennis, Kendo....

I can imagine a whole series consisting of that becoming tiring.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2015, 10:19:26 AM »
Nah, Kill la Kill is a slice of life anime for them.  :P

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2015, 12:19:19 AM »
I can't find out what anime this girl is from, and it's driving me nuts!

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2015, 05:06:28 AM »
If that is your only image with nothing else to go on, you're either screwed or you last ditch effort over at /a/ >.>

It's also likely not from an anime as that certainly looks 'sprite-ey'.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2015, 07:06:12 AM »
That particular style looks very 90's, to boot. I'd say she's from either a PS1 or SNES-era game, but that doesn't narrow it down very much - more likely the former than the latter.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2015, 09:02:22 AM »
Re-read One Punch Man (Both original & manga), since the Anime will be released next month.

I first read it several years ago, and it's nice to see how much the series has grown. I have to say, from what i saw on the anime PV's, i'm STOKED for this Anime, more so than i have been in years, in fact. The fights seem like they're going to be absolutely STUNNINGLY animated, and the voice acting cast seems to be on the spot. One minor nitpick i have is that they chose a very masculine VA for Speed of Sound Sonic...

I'm also about to start watching Parasyte, which seemed to gather high praise, so i'm checking it out. Overlord is, so far, best anime of 2015 for me, so lets see what this series will bring to the table.

Speaking of Overlord...

(click to show/hide)
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2015, 09:27:18 AM »
Bleach
(click to show/hide)

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2015, 09:53:14 AM »
When and if they make another stab at a Bleach anime, i might watch it. I still am of the firm opinion that after Aizen the series should've gone straight towards its conclusion, and that everything after Aizen is pretty meh. I tried to read the Manga but i just... can't. Still waiting on the Naruto anime conclusion to see if maybe THEN i pick it up from where i stopped. My sister is watching from the start, so i'll probably just watch it with her after the battle with Pain, which is roughly where i stopped. I even stopped watching One Piece and Fairy Tail as well. The only long series i keep up with nowadays is Gintama. Nowadays i'm just way too impatient, long unresolved plot points and a series that seems like its dragging on are major cons for me.

In other news, off to read new Berserk and Drifters. The two series that torture me and make me want to murder the creators. What's up with all those hiatuses? Berserk in particular... I feel like at this point its like two new chapters per year? Ugh... and i still need to catch up with Vinland Saga as well.

I need to stop picking up long manga, like i stopped picking up long anime. Feel like i'm reading so much at the same time...
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2015, 10:30:45 AM »
When and if they make another stab at a Bleach anime, i might watch it. I still am of the firm opinion that after Aizen the series should've gone straight towards its conclusion, and that everything after Aizen is pretty meh. I tried to read the Manga but i just... can't. Still waiting on the Naruto anime conclusion to see if maybe THEN i pick it up from where i stopped. My sister is watching from the start, so i'll probably just watch it with her after the battle with Pain, which is roughly where i stopped.
These are both the right places to stop.  Naruto jumps a fuck ton of sharks shortly after this.  Bleach is in the process of committing ritual suicide before all of us. 

In other news, off to read new Berserk and Drifters. The two series that torture me and make me want to murder the creators. What's up with all those hiatuses? Berserk in particular... I feel like at this point its like two new chapters per year? Ugh... and i still need to catch up with Vinland Saga as well.
Berserk is just frustrating.  It started off interesting, if somewhat flawed, and then veered off into a place where it lost its identity and just turned into a series of Mary Sue moments for its villain.  And, now it's just ground to a boring halt.  At least that's where it last was when I checked a few months ago, and I suspect it hasn't made much progress since then. 

It seems like creators need better exit strategies.  Otherwise they get bored with their work and sabotage it.  I'm looking at you GRRM.

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Temporal Dissonance Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2015, 10:42:11 AM »
So, has anybody seen DBZ: the Revival of Frieza yet?  What did people think of it?

I'm probably going to see it myself when I get the opportunity.  I've been on a hiatus from the show for years, although this has motivated me to come back into the fold.

Biggest complaint : they stole Vegeta's moment of glory - again...as usual.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2015, 10:13:42 PM »
So,I'm finally watching High school of the dead fan service all over the place....but getting beyond that, I'm liking the music cues (note i've only seen two episodes so far)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2015, 05:47:20 AM »
Berserk is just frustrating.  It started off interesting, if somewhat flawed, and then veered off into a place where it lost its identity and just turned into a series of Mary Sue moments for its villain.  And, now it's just ground to a boring halt.  At least that's where it last was when I checked a few months ago, and I suspect it hasn't made much progress since then. 

It seems like creators need better exit strategies.  Otherwise they get bored with their work and sabotage it.  I'm looking at you GRRM.

Well, Drifters is being written by the same author as Hellsing. And although the Hellsing manga took its sweet time to end, it was quite a satisfying ending if you ask me. So I have hope for Drifters. Like in Hellsing, we're seeing a bunch of badass characters rising their personal armies and converging for a super FFA carnage.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2015, 06:34:22 AM »
Finished Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis. Have to say, pretty awesome. Now i'm watching Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru, which from what i read is pretty much Puella Magi Madoka Magica. So far, i'm liking it. If nothing else, up to episode 4 i'd rate it a solid 7, which is OK i guess. Still stoked for One Punch Man, though. Also on the queue is the second season for Durarara!!

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2015, 03:59:15 AM »
Just watched the first couple episodes of Nanoha VIVID.

Its awesome.

:D

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2015, 04:51:27 PM »
Holy shit, i actually WEPT at the end of Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de aru.

Incredibly powerful. Hit me right in the feels, full power no-stop. Can't recommend it enough if you want to be hit in the feels.

The anime itself is a bit slow at first, picks up traction around the middle, and then it takes you through the ride of your life. I won't lie, by episode 5 i was beggining to get bored, but then i got hooked again. You need to be a bit patient with this one, but it's only 12 episodes long, so it's not THAT hard to get through the boring parts, especially since by then you'll be almost halfway through already.

At episode 4 i had rated it a 7/10, now i'd change my rating to a 9/10. It could've been a bit better with a little bit better pacing and a bit more world-building. We only ever really get to see the main cast, which is a bit of a shame.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2015, 12:38:38 PM »
Overlord finished this week, and i went up and read the Light Novels. Although i was accompanying the Reddit discussion weekly threads where everyone would compare the LN and the Anime, when i actually went and read it, it was even better than i expected.

The anime beautifully adapts the source material. As an adaptation, its undoubtedly 10/10. Almost everything they cut is reasonable, and the things they added that weren't in the LN are completely in agreement with the source material. Everything, from the Voice Actors, to the design of the characters, to the way the scenes described in the LN are depicted, it's all perfect.

If it had been 2 cours, then they would have definitely had to go further than the 3rd Volume, otherwise it would've become too dragged out. I have to say, i'm waiting eagerly for a second season that i know will most likely not come.

In the meantime, i'll continue to read the novels. I can't recommend them enough, its beautifully written. I'd definitely play such a campaign, or perhaps even DM one.

EDIT:

So i finished the last Overlord LN that was translated and... damn. I'm craving for more. Seriously guys, after reading the last of the translated LN's, i now know the Anime hasn't even scratched the surface of the plot that unfolds. It's nothing more than an introduction. Nazarick starts to get serious after Volume 3 (where the Anime ended), and serious shit starts to go down around Volume 6. The Volume 7 cliffhanger is incredible, and i'm now waiting for the Volume 8 like a man dying from thirst wants a bottle of cold water.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 12:42:17 PM by brujon »