Author Topic: The Peanut Gallery  (Read 207720 times)

Offline Debatra

• Kaedanis Pyran
    • View Profile
Re: The Peanut Gallery
« Reply #860 on: August 05, 2014, 04:08:46 PM »
Are any of you guys familiar with Wild ARMs?

And welcome back, Boz.
Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #861 on: August 05, 2014, 04:34:05 PM »
Are any of you guys familiar with Wild ARMs?

I played the HELL out of that game, and the remake.

What'chu need?
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline Debatra

• Kaedanis Pyran
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: August 05, 2014, 05:45:22 PM »
Excellent. I'm trying to make some 3.5e stuff based on the series. So far, all I have is a little progress on Crest Sorcery as a PrC. Any ideas?

I'd happily share it, but I don't have my notes with me. Wednesday night-Thursday morning.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #863 on: August 07, 2014, 07:36:31 AM »
Excellent. I'm trying to make some 3.5e stuff based on the series. So far, all I have is a little progress on Crest Sorcery as a PrC. Any ideas?

I'd happily share it, but I don't have my notes with me. Wednesday night-Thursday morning.

I'll give this some serious look-over, and some serious think-over, and will get you any ideas I can. "Waking up two hours earlier then expected because loud noise outside my window" doesn't help the think process.
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline Debatra

• Kaedanis Pyran
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: August 07, 2014, 10:03:40 AM »
Thanks. Oh, and I have my notes!

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:05:20 AM by Debatra »

Offline Debatra

• Kaedanis Pyran
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: August 14, 2014, 08:10:46 PM »
Tales of Idiot DMs
So another game has recently started. This time, we began on a ship. A ship we had to chip in to buy with our WBL. I didn't like that, but we went with it. So there are three players in this game, counting me, and our oh-so-wonderful DM told us that we gave up enough gold to buy a Dhow. Okay then, nice.

Until the guy reveals that the three of us are completely alone on our Dhow, which requires a minimum of five people to sail. No crew, no NPCs, nothing. And this was after the guy heavily implied the ship would be have a full crew, as well as outright stating the boat wouldn't be any more important than we decided to make it. This lead to none of us taking any skills related to sailing.  :banghead  So we're currently drifting wherever the tides (read: the DM) decide to take us. OOC, I'm currently trying to explain to him why this is a terrible idea.

Offline Debatra

• Kaedanis Pyran
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: August 15, 2014, 08:23:11 AM »
Happy 75th Birthday to the original Film version of The Wizard of Oz. Speaking of which:

Debatra's (not-so-)Random Thought of the Day

I understand it's iconic, but when you really think about it; "I'm not sure we're in Kansas anymore" has got to be one of the dumbest lines ever written. I offer no apologies.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #867 on: August 16, 2014, 09:06:19 AM »
(.. a whole tale about a boat, and castaways, and minimal crews ..)

See about getting some folks to join the game, under the secret coalition that the purpose of the game is now to make your own fun with it. Find two or more crew adrift, one an absolute master of the sea while the other is an idiot with luck bonuses everywhere. Start sailing. GM is like "There's a storm over there" and then do everything imaginable to avoid all the plot he throws at you.

tl;dr - Find the Skipper, Gilligan, and friends. All of whom are none too keen on losing ANOTHER ship.
Link to my homebrews

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
  • Organizations are imaginary.
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: August 26, 2014, 03:35:04 AM »
Just got back from some vacation, preceded by several weeks of impossibly busy, beginning around Monday August 4, four weeks ago. I still haven’t caught up with everything I need to do this month and I only have a few days left, so it’s desperate, but one of those tasks was posting here as soon as I could come up for air and wrap my fingers around a keyboard for some purpose other than the early August craziness.

I’ll check in with SirP to find out what in this delay is me, and what we have to do next to keep the game moving.

After Darayat, IIRC there are some enemies to go, and then the absent PCs. I’ll also get an updated INIT list from SirP, showing which absent PCs go when. I just spent a while combing through the threads with no luck in finding the current INITs, so…

I think the remaining INIT list in no particular order is:

Throisar
Throisar’s Familiar
Sheerak-faced Marilith
Vir
Vir’s Parrots
Tanatou
Lord Bane

Corrections, sightings, and rumors are welcome.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: August 26, 2014, 03:04:39 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: August 26, 2014, 10:19:53 PM »
FITS – thanks for finding the INIT post!! I forgot it was inside a spoiler, so I didn’t spot it when I was looking.

SirP and I had an offline discussion today about Darayat’s results. SirP is working on the post for the combat portion and I’m working on a post about other aspects of Darayat’s actions.

Quote from: Star during Team Good’s prep
I have some weapons and armor I lend to friends. My stock is depleted with the other wars I am fighting now, but I still have some left.

If not for my very old and good friend Aurora, I might use this two-handed Sword. It is called Omega, made at the Godsforge, and Blessed by Zeus. It always strikes last, but strikes unerringly at an opponent who has struck at you, whether successful or not. It also damages Alignment Auras; as its name implies, it honors the last who touched it.

(click to show/hide)

Vir is up next for the party, and Harald has been looking into what Vir would do next. (Thanks for volunteering!)

Harald - During Team Good’s prep before coming to Bral, Vir borrowed the sword Omega, and it’s already Alignment-attuned to him. As to whether he’s going to use it now is up to you, but he’s got it, FYI.

If Vir does use the sword against the Uruk-Hai it’s going to be +6/+6 plus Alignment damage equal to Vir’s CL which I’m guessing is now 16, with the total damage doubled. So that’s an extra 44HP of damage per hit, 2x(6+16), plus double whatever you roll for two handed sword damage.

You have a little time to figure this out; there are still two Uruk-Hai to go before Vir. SirP is working on that post too; I just PMed him some info he needs for it.

Offline Harald

• wielding a 30 Tons Tank as an improvised flail.
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: August 27, 2014, 03:10:23 PM »
Allright.

So, as what Vir will do, I was thinking of using Omega,use the Whirlwind Tome Feat to charge to closest clusterfuck of ennemies, using Witty Repartee to one of them, and ending out of melee, using Acrobatic Charge to charge in a zig zag or a curve, depending of how said clusterfuck is positionned.

Does he still get his hoard of dead parrots as well?
"-Lady-Captain, we detect 20 hostile vessels against us,  and Erasmus Haarlock's Spear of Destiny ! What are your orders ?
-RAMMING SPEED !

final result : 6 slaughts vessels, 4 imperial frigates, 2 imperial cruisers destroyed. Haarlock sent into the warp. 0 losses. Flawless Victory.

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: August 28, 2014, 10:11:51 PM »

I listed “parrots” but there’s actually just one parrot now. We’re going to assume that Vir and the parrot were stapled to the wall, but were released like the rest of the party when Halt crashed through it and turned that section of wall to rubble.

Why just one? It’s entertaining to go back to the prep that produced the Undead Parrot Madness:

Vir automatically summons a parrot. Each copy of Vir also automatically summons a parrot. Then each parrot was copied along with everyone else. There were a lot more copies of Team Good than Team Evil saw; it was too dangerous to Team Good’s health to deploy them all so they were stashed in a special Bag of Holding… there’s more story that I’ll skip for now (though Team Good can fill you in or you can find it on the Team Good prep thread).

To get to the bottom line: Therefore the number of parrots was non-linear, and went up with the square of the number of copies. IIRC there were approximately 625 of them.

So Team Good kept all the parrots in play to create a mighty collective weapon of chaos, and with the help of an army of Ror copies, painted them with Rituals to give them Negative Energy. Voila, clouds of Undead-seeming Parrots. It was a brilliant stroke by Vir, with help from Ror and the rest of the party.

Alas, no copies now, so with only one Vir there is only one parrot. But it’s got its own Ritual load, so feel free to wreak Parrot Havoc, albeit on a smaller scale.

Allright.

So, as what Vir will do, I was thinking of using Omega,use the Whirlwind Tome Feat to charge to closest clusterfuck of ennemies, using Witty Repartee to one of them, and ending out of melee, using Acrobatic Charge to charge in a zig zag or a curve, depending of how said clusterfuck is positionned.

Go for it!

As to exactly where, I can’t answer the positioning question yet. We’ll await SirP’s actions for the remaining Uruk-Hai; his post should tell you where they are with respect to the party and each other.

Offline Harald

• View Profile
« Reply #873 on: August 29, 2014, 03:26:05 PM »

Alas, no copies now, so with only one Vir there is only one parrot. But it’s got its own Ritual load, so feel free to wreak Parrot Havoc, albeit on a smaller scale.

I was indeed about to cry "Havoc, and let's slip the Parrot of War !"  :smirk
"-Lady-Captain, we detect 20 hostile vessels against us,  and Erasmus Haarlock's Spear of Destiny ! What are your orders ?
-RAMMING SPEED !

final result : 6 slaughts vessels, 4 imperial frigates, 2 imperial cruisers destroyed. Haarlock sent into the warp. 0 losses. Flawless Victory.

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: August 29, 2014, 11:57:17 PM »
I was indeed about to cry "Havoc, and let's slip the Parrot of War !"  :smirk

In fact there is a character build for the parrot, based on Raven, and a name.

Feel free to level up the parrot; Dumathoin doesn't discriminate against avians, so the bird got the same treatment as the rest of the party. Max HP for the new level and all others. Feats and Stat bumps for whatever levels are appropriate, if none were taken before. AND: in addition to an additional level: Gestalt!

You can Gestalt the Parrot’s bird levels with anything you like that seems to make sense (a raptor, rather than a velociraptor), for all the available character levels.

Maybe something Negative from Libris Mortis. Maybe something terrifying, from Oslecamo’s Monster Classes. A Cloaker for a variety of powers? A Spectre for extreme Negativity (you’d need another Level or two, technically to get this, but… why not; it fits)? A Skin Kite (after a brief skim through Libris Mortis)? There may be better things, especially if both Negative and Terrifying, but you get the idea.

In fact the main idea really is this: The Parrot Of Death is too wonderful a supporting character to lose from the game at this early point in its history, even if we “retire” Vir gracefully after this adventure segment (unless his player comes back, by some miracle). We already all love Parrots of Death, in the little time we’ve known them.  :D

Therefore, the Margravine may acquire a hitchhiking follower, perhaps not her greatest desire, but entertaining nevertheless.

Since the Parrot could easily get toasted by what the party will be facing, we’ll declare it to be – in the spirit of Vir – a Figurine, just like its current master, with similar parrotameters. Sorry, parameters. If killed it reverts to its Figurine form, in the Margravine’s pocket since it is automatically summoned, and is unusable for a week (IIRC, that’s Vir’s delay – whatever Vir’s delay is).

SQAK!

Offline Harald

• View Profile
« Reply #875 on: August 30, 2014, 07:29:15 AM »
I'll give a look to level it up.

Though, if you don't mind, I don't think the Margravine will take the parrot afterwards.

I'm just playing Vir in abstentia,
I do not find it is a good form to take away items or things as personnal as a faithfull pet from the character of an absent player. It isn't mine, I'm just using it temporarily to lighten  SirP's and your's burden.

To take away the parrot is for me the equivalent of me saying "well, , now Vir gives all his pocket change, his equipment free of charge to the Margravine..." No, just no.

As for improving the parrot,  I was thinking of Animal 4- something 1// Invisible Stalker 5.  :smirk
Though, Cloaker 5 could indeed be interesting...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 07:32:05 AM by Harald »
-RAMMING SPEED !

Offline Debatra

• Kaedanis Pyran
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: September 02, 2014, 03:45:20 AM »
Debatra's Random Thought(/Question) of the Day

How, if at all, would an Elven Double Bow (Arms and Equipment Guide, page 7) interact with Manyshot?

What about Greater Manyshot?

Offline Harald

• View Profile
« Reply #877 on: September 03, 2014, 04:23:17 AM »
Thse are the rules of the double bow, correct ?

Double-bow, Elven

A double-stringed longbow that can be used as a normal longbow by someone proficient with that weapon. A character with Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Elven Double-Bow) can use it to fire two arrows at once. Nocking an arrow on the second string is a move-equivalent action. The attack is a double shot at one target, using only one -2 attack roll. When making a critical hit, only the first arrow does critical and Sneak Attack damage.

1000 gp / 1d8 / critical x3 / 90 ft / 3 lbs. / Piercing

Using Manyshot is a standard action, nocking an arrow on the second string a move.... it seems like the attack is not including in the move action, but I'm not sure, as I'm not an English speaker, that i got this subtlety right.
if it is included, you can go like this : Manyshot (X arrows)+ knock and loose => that means X+1 shots.
if it is not, if you wish tuse it each round, you do this : knock + Manyshot, unleashing your bonus arrow. considering that nocking is supposed to take a move action, that goes  X+1 shot as well, unless we suppose Manyshot applies also to the second string. 8 arrows a round, 16 arrows a round with Splitting ?
let's give a look at reality for comparaison...
8 arrows in a round seems ok, especially when you consider you need Dex 17, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, base attack bonus +6 , Manyshot and exotic Weapon (Double Elven longbow) to pull it off.
Now, is 8 (potentially 16) shots a round too much ? That depends of your game and level of optimization/lethality herein.
-RAMMING SPEED !

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: September 10, 2014, 06:43:47 PM »
Well, that makes Arkesh and Ptolemaeus who have reasons to kill me! Which one of you is next?
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: September 11, 2014, 05:25:30 AM »
Well, that makes Arkesh and Ptolemaeus who have reasons to kill me! Which one of you is next?

Darayat is experienced enough to temper his concern about the connection between Ptolemaeus and the Guardians by the easily made observation that when Ptolemaeus refers to the Guardians, he does not seem to show nearly enough of the proper reverence for them.   :D