Author Topic: Dolghast Berserk in Hybrid Beast Shape - what do I keep and what do I lose?  (Read 899 times)

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Warrior Skald, teller of tales.
    • View Profile
Through a magical "plot device" a Big Bad in my campaign world is going to capture some human barbarians with levels in the Berserk PrC from Deities and Demigods, and turn them into Dolghasts (the Big Bad is a cultist of Hel).  To represent these individuals in this gestalt campaign, I intend to make Gestalt Barbarian/Ranger//Dolghast/Berserks.

The Berserk gets a Beast Shape ability that is somewhat like Wildshape, but not really.  Here is the important bits:

Beast Shape (Su): At 3rd level, the berserk selects a totem animal from the following list: bear (brown), boar, eagle, raven, whale (cachalot), or wolf. A number of times per day determined by level, the berserk may change shape into a hybrid creature with features that combine human and animal, or into the animal itself. A hybrid retains the use of human arms, hands, and intelligence, but loses the power of speech. A hybrid cannot use skills or abilities that require patience and concentration, such as moving silently or casting spells (the only class skills he can’t use are Animal Empathy and Wilderness Lore). He can use any feat he might have except for Expertise, item creation feats, metamagic feats, and Skill Focus (if it’s tied to a skill that requires patience or concentration). Hybrids also gain +2 Strength and +2 Constitution. ...

I would assume when the Dolghast Berserk actually takes on the form of the totem animal, he would fully transform (he "gains the abilities and movement speeds of the animal") much like Wildshape, though it isn't explicit.

However, my interest regards the interaction of the hybrid form with some of the Dolghast's interesting racial qualities.  For one, he has two claw attacks and a bite attack.  Does he retain these in hybrid form?

Second, does he retain the special attacks and qualities that are unique to a Dolghast?
(click to show/hide)

Can I legally have a half-dead hybrid running around, dissoluting things with his claw attacks?  Will he retain his Fast Healing?