Author Topic: $OOC Thread  (Read 154041 times)

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
$OOC Thread
« on: December 12, 2011, 05:29:48 PM »
I hope no one minds, but I have taken the liberty of starting up an OOC thread here. 

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
Re: $OOC Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 05:33:32 PM »
That's a pretty good idea!
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
  • Organizations are imaginary.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 11:11:25 PM »
Thanks! I hadn't gotten around to this yet. We may want other thread-specific OOCs, but having one, at least, is a good idea.

I'll try to change the name to get it sorted alphabetically first for those who bookmark the alpha sort link, which is better than 'sticky' because if you sort some other way, or just let posted threads come up first, I don't want to put a 'sticky' in your way that you didn't want to see.

Offline GuyFawkes

• Remember, remember, the fifth of November
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 06:30:43 AM »
Nice call on this one. It's kinda weird having to go here and back to GitP just to put in questions or comments.  :D

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 06:16:34 AM »
Are we waiting on someone in the Janis action thread?

Offline GuyFawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 06:27:51 AM »
methinks metro's just busy.

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 07:46:55 AM »
That's fine. I just saw Metro had posted with the corporal and wanted to make she I wasn't holding us up.

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 09:21:41 AM »
A couple of questions.  First, Harmless Form.  I believe Hamrless Form is just illusion, is that so?

Does Harmless Form hide my weapons?  I would never call someone holding a spiked chain harmless. 

If I fight in Harmless Form, I assumed that it was illusion, adn that I still hit with all three weapons.  Does that mean that if I fight in Harmless Form I seem to punch with an unarmed strike, but hit with the force of a huge spiked chain and two nunchucks?  What if I fly while in Harmless Form? 

Next, my bucklers and AC stacking.  Ordinarily, Sheild AC's do not stack.  Assume I have a +2 bonus to sheild from TWF, another +2 bonus from my second TWF feat, and four +1 bucklers (a buckler usually adds +1 to Sheild AC), one attached to each arm.
What is my shield AC? it could be in that case anything from 2 to 12, depeding on what, if anything, you say stacks.

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 09:37:05 AM »
To my knowledge, which might not be very precise, it should be +2 from the TWF feat since they are all shield bonuses, hence they don't stack. But lets see what MetroMagic has to say about it.
Sneaky_Sable: "Keep the Omega Whatever, I'll take that Dagger. Nice to meet you *sneak attack* I hope everything's alright *sneak attack* how's your liver been *sneak attack*..."

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 10:18:18 AM »
Usually they don't stack, yeah, so i figure it shouldn't be 12.  But Being Tome, its weird.  Is the TWF Bonus just an untyped increase (stacks?)?  Is it an enhancmeent increase (stacks with the shield, but not the sheild's +1?)?

It makes sense for them to stack here thematically, since I have three weapons (so fluff wise I would get the bonus of weaons interacting twice, or even three times).

It makes sense for the multiple shields to each work without interfearing, sicne each is attached to a different, freely moving arm  (now i'm sheilded high and low, from the left and the right, even though AC dfoesn't usually care which way you are facing, so this is still fluff)

The Pixie has TWF and an animated sheild that floats around him.  There I think the TWF should stack,s icne anythign that gets past/through the floating sheild still hads to deal with his TWF abilities, but that is a smaller bonus and makes more sense thematically.  DM will have to rule whether it is a simple "they don't stack, RAW" or whether the weird build allows some stacking.

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 10:33:20 AM »
Also, I'm partially colroblind.  I call always tell when a different color isused, so the dialogue in color works for me, but its hard for me to tell which color is which.  I had Vir as Lime Green, but I think that was too light to read and changed it to dark orange.  Is that the same as Janis's text?

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 10:45:55 AM »
Also, I'm partially colroblind.  I call always tell when a different color isused, so the dialogue in color works for me, but its hard for me to tell which color is which.  I had Vir as Lime Green, but I think that was too light to read and changed it to dark orange.  Is that the same as Janis's text?

No, it is not. Her speech is just Orange. But I really don't mind Lime Green. It's not hard to read it (at least for me) and it fits better to a pixie's speech IMHO.
Sneaky_Sable: "Keep the Omega Whatever, I'll take that Dagger. Nice to meet you *sneak attack* I hope everything's alright *sneak attack* how's your liver been *sneak attack*..."

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 08:09:54 PM »
Many characters, few colors. But there are 16 million colors in HTML using RGB. I tried putting an RGB color code into the COLOR= tag, to no avail. I'll check into this more; then we would be able to use all 16 million of them, instead of just 15 named colors - even if some of us can't tell them apart that well.

BTW, if you can't see the colors well but want to know what they are, here's a trick. You can copy/paste a sample of the text in question into a word processor, for example MS Word if you happen to have it. Then you can highlight the text and then go into the FONT COLOR menu and go to CUSTOM COLORS; it will read out for you the decimal equivalent values of the hex RGB codes for the color of that highlighted, sample text. For example, using that method, it shows Janis' text color to be Red 255, Green 165, Blue 0, or RGB hex code FFA500. So if the site accepted COLOR=FFA500 as well as color words, that would produce the same result as COLOR=ORANGE, at least on this site. But you could also code COLOR=FFC520 to get a lighter shade of pretty much the same orange, or darken it down a bit with DF8500.

From 1s&0s to D&D.

About Harmless Form. First, see a handy reference:

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Harmless_Form_%283.5e_Feat%29

Harmless Form gives Change Shape, and help with Disguise.

Then see

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Change_Shape

Change Shape specifically does not change the form of equipment, only its size. So Sheerak's weapons, etc. are visible, to answer that question.

About stacks: When mixing systems, I play that you get what you have from the system you used when the character learned or got whatever that was. For example, a D&D 2E L16 Wizard's Fireball spell that does 16D6 did not suddenly get weaker just because 3E came out with a weaker Fireball spell limited to 10D6. That Wizard clearly learned a different version of Fireball from a 3E Wizard. Unfair? Consider this: The Wizard with the puny Fireball can also learn the 2E spell. It's still out there in the Multiverse. He just happened to learn from someone who didn't know the better version. Happens all the time!

Considering all this, if the Tome says the bonus is untyped, it stacks. If the Tome says the bonus is typed, it doesn't. That's the "world" where the bonus came from.

However, before we get too far down the legal road, you should know that I don't run combat just by the numerical details, especially since the characters are from mixed systems. Huge characters with tiny shields can be hit in an unshielded tail. Unless that prehensile tail has a buckler with a smash attack... who knew? :-)

So a tiny character with two small shields (but large for him), one magically floating behind and one in front, has pretty good protection, same AC front and rear, and if the shields magically move to interpose then an attacker has to beat both of them - a pretty good example of stacked bonuses.

A huge character with the same two shields on two of four arms is not nearly as well covered, probably not much help with rear AC. Fighting one opponent, or two? Opponent has enough reach to hit the tail behind the body? Flanked? Now it's much harder to use the shields to cover everything at once; lucky to get a shield interposed at all. A pretty good example of bonuses that don't stack.

So, I appreciate everyone's efforts to define their characters clearly, but don't stress out about it... Remember it's mostly about the story.

Besides, considering what we will be going up against, we'll need all the plusses we can get, and more. A common feature of MetroMagic adventures.

Offline lgallindo

• Lurker
  • I'm not new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 09:54:26 PM »
Metro, try [ color=#numbers ] text [ /color ]. The # symbol  is the charm. This way you can get all the colors of the rainbow for speech.

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 10:13:12 PM »
WOO HOO !!

Offline GuyFawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2011, 09:18:09 AM »
Updated my character profile. Added character relationships, people you could use for the story.  ;) Also putting in stuff like pics to better visualize my character.

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 01:55:18 PM »
Halfaz, the Corporal, Sam now on their way in!

Unless Renee and Lockheed join us, which seems unlikely at this point (they were interested before but haven't responded to a couple of messages at GITP), then that's everyone started to play, except Ptolemaeus.

Ptolemaeus, sorry about the wait. Soon! PS. Thanks for the extra posting, cool stuff.

PPS. TO ALL - Feel free to read each others' play-ins and character threads. (a) I like to assume that at least some conversation exchanging story details occurs between characters in slack time, because posting everything all over again,  IC, would be tedious. (b) It's a lot more fun. (c) The pix posted there may not make it into a group action thread but still may show scenes relevant to others, like the view from the ArchPriest's windows of Sigil rooftops at daybreak in the Corporal's play-in thread. That looks much like what Sable, Sheerak and Janis saw in the With Janis action thread, from the plaza in front of the Civic Festhall, at least in flavor of architecture, though their view was from ground level, not a high tower.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 02:00:27 PM by MetroMagic »

Offline GuyFawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 02:06:58 PM »
@Metro No problem. The lead always makes his entrance last. LOL!  :D

Another thing that makes waiting not a problem is reading all the play-ins. Awesome stuff! Do you write for a living? Cause if you're not, you might wanna start doing so.  ;)

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 02:25:36 PM »
Good thing you pointed out it is ok to read the other guy's play-ins. I was feeling a little guilty of already knowing a little about them even before Halfaz met them. And I agree with GuyFawkes. Very good writing even from a non-native english speaker point of view.

Offline lgallindo

• Lurker
  • I'm not new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 02:51:55 PM »
Same feeling here, Metro play-ins are very good. I found Halfaz play-in particularly interesting (life on the Plane of Fire seems harsh).