Author Topic: Chapter 2 - Race to the bottom  (Read 13213 times)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 2 - Race to the bottom
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2020, 03:15:27 PM »
"Nadja Ovlova?" Yuki asks, having taken the time to recall exactly who they were down this hole and looking for. "Bridesmaid to Zilla Gravesend?"

Maybe the reminder would help. Or something could prove who she was.

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2020, 03:22:37 PM »
"Nadja Ovlova? Zilla Gravesend?" She looks blankly. "Who are those, other friends of yours?"

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2020, 03:49:12 PM »
A load groan comes from beneath the dog.

”Peri? Thank the gods." A pair of hands reaches up and ruffles the dog's fur.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2020, 08:20:59 AM »
Mist takes a step back as the man emerges from the ground. She scrutinizes his features to discern exactly *what* he is while she decides to speak.

"Do you at least remember your name, Sir...?"

(click to show/hide)
Hmm.

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2020, 08:23:45 AM »
(click to show/hide)

As Karlat ministers to the girl's wounds Hank strides over to the man emerging from the grave. He grabs his hands and helps pull him up from the dirt.
"One who inspires the loyalty of a companion as fine as this," he gestures to the dog, "must certainly be a good man!"

"Excuse me for inserting myself." He looks at Mist apologetically not realizing she was about to speak.

He turns back to the dirt covered man and his faithful dog. "As you can see we'd all like to know who you are fine sir and if you see fit to join us this evening."

« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 09:23:39 AM by dman »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2020, 09:58:30 AM »
"Are there any more people buried down there? Should we be expecting a delegation?"

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2020, 01:14:38 PM »
Niko nods in thanks at Hank for the help up. As he straightens up you can all see that he is a very large man, both in height as well as muscles. He picks up a shield with vicious looking spikes out of the pit and brushes the dirt off, then does the same with a warhammer.

"I am Niko Zakaria and this is Peri," he says and pats the large dog's head.  "I was sent to find what happened to this girl, the same as you it seems. I'll join you if you'll have me, otherwise I'll follow behind anyway."

He then laughs, "If anyone else is down there Peri and I aren't interested in doing the work to find out."

(click to show/hide)

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2020, 01:54:53 PM »
"Another hero is always welcome, Niko." Hank grips his shoulder firmly and flashes a wide smile.  "And for two we're all the richer!" Hank offers his hand to Peri in friendship.  As he greets the dog he takes careful measure of Niko and Peri. "Judging by the cut of your jib I'd say we're better served with the two of you up front rather than trailing behind."

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2020, 02:11:13 PM »
"Mist." she says, introducing herself simply. "And if anyone is still buried they are likely still as well preserved as yourself. We were asked to locate Nadja by a friend of hers, and we will be returning her to her friend where she will be safe."
Hmm.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2020, 02:14:49 PM »
Peri sniffs the offered hand but doesn't do anything else.

"Yes, Peri and I tend to be in the thick of things. We protect each other and can protect others when there's a need."

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2020, 03:54:11 PM »
"A friend? You mean, I have a friend, and you know them? That's nice."

Looking down her ratty rags, the redhead thoughtfully adds: "I hope they also know where my things are, if I own any things at all."

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2020, 04:14:25 PM »
Karlat finished ministering to the wounded amongst the party before nodding towards Niko. "Karlat, Cwalu, Saethwr," indicating each in turn.

Saethwr looks much the better after his near-death experience at the hands of a grave elemental. It was causing Karlat to rethink the ways in which he was training his cohorts, although having someone closer to the front might also be of some service.

Wary, Karlat and his men keep watch on the tunnels leading into the grand space, bows held loosely, but only a little so.

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2020, 04:21:29 PM »
After hearing her voice Hank returns to the young woman and gently places his left hand on the shaken girl's shoulder. He tenderly raises his right hand to her cheek and meets her confused eyes with his own firm compassionate gaze. "Precious child. You're safe now. Please, come with us. My friends would love to meet you. They're waiting right now with warm food, sweet songs, and kind fellowship. We'll get you a nice bath and some fresh clothes and you can stay as long as you like." His bright smile conveys an infectious eagerness, and he gathers her into a warm embrace.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2020, 04:31:29 PM »
The redhead seems to fully trust Hank and offers no resistance to being touched and embraced. She bites her lip.

"I hope whatever I own and earn is enough to repay that favour. I mean, do I have a livelihood? Anything I'm good enough at to earn my living?"

Looking at the walls, she adds: "I would like to leave soon. I want to be away before they come for me again."

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2020, 05:14:33 PM »
Niko nods again.

"I have no interest in being buried a second time. Leaving would be best."

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2020, 08:24:03 AM »
The bronze skinned archer's fiery curls bounce as Salverus announces "Then let us go rejoin our people and celebrate our victory with food and wine and song and dance."

"Hear. Hear." Calim agrees. "Here's to surviving another day." He takes a small nip of a flask and tucks it back into his jacket.

David knods as he almost looks up for a moment from the notes he's scribbling on a curious collection of circular papers bound by a copper ring.

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2020, 08:56:05 PM »
The return trip is uneventful. You soon scale the rope out of the well shaft and get to breath in the fresh night air, after you have helped Nadja whose muscle memory wasn't fully up to the task yet. The question now is only where to head - to the church within the Cathedral Ward where you have left Tanya and Fuyuko, or back to the dwelling of Zilla Gravesend in Old Chancel?

The latter would be a longer trip crossing the inner wall, where some derelict and dirty young woman might arouse suspicion. Your deed against the White Guard must also have been discovered by now.

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2020, 08:11:09 AM »
You re-enter the church where you have left your companions.

Surrounded by candles Tanya sits there on a small stool, decked up in Fuyuko's Krevbornski court dress including the jewelry, and with subtle make-up applied to her face. Fuyuko is standing behind her, currently in the process of turning Tanya's hair into ringlets with the help of a lockstick from her disguise kit and candleflame.
The half-elf girl pulls off the look really well, as if it had always been her birthright to be a noblewoman, and has little in common with the oblate in drab robes you first met.
(click to show/hide)

Fuyuko looks to you entering and speaks giddily with child-like excitement.

"We got bored when we were alone, so we decided that if Tanya-hime will become a baronet, why not test what she would look like as one? She is really pretty like that, isn't she? Yabai, I hope she will invite me to her coronation! Baronet-hime get coronation ceremonies in this land, do they not? With flowers and cakes and pretty ribbons and dancers and jugglers and jesters and lions and tigers jumping through burning hoops!?!?"

Tanya, unwilling to move her head too much while Fuyuko excitedly gestures with a burning-hot lockstick so close to her, gives a sideway glance to the redheaded young woman.

"Looks like your search was unsuccessful. Although it is probably for the best that the poor girl has come to your attention, she seems to be in great need for help.
I am Tanya, Tanya Gravesend, and that lady behind me is Fuyuko. What is your name?"

The redheaded woman blinks at the mention of the name as it were familiar, but she can't fully grab that memory.

"I wished I knew who I am, I really wished. I am totally lost, and they are still looking for me and will come for me and drag me back into my early grave again."

Her eyes nervously scan the ground she is standing on and uncomfortably moves her feet ready to jump, as if any moment a grave elemental may erupt from it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 08:15:52 AM by Skyrock »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2020, 11:41:10 AM »
"That's a good job, Fuyuko," Yuki states, examining the dressed up girl closely. Barely recognisable--excellent. If this came down to a public confrontation, looking the part would also help convince any onlookers... or perhaps the baron that she might be worth it as an heir.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2020, 12:34:10 PM »
Mist lets the others explain the situation and slips away. After some searching she finds an empty alley and works her spell, speaking words to be carried upon the wind.

Mist reporting in. We found the bridesmaid alive in well. She seems confused and needs your help. Currently with your daughter on Mason Lane chapel.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 12:36:02 PM by skydragonknight »
Hmm.