Author Topic: [Archive] Hexhammer Gish  (Read 4502 times)

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
[Archive] Hexhammer Gish
« on: September 18, 2015, 07:22:06 AM »
Copying over from the WotC forums in anticipation of their imminent demise.

- - -

Hi guys. Here's something I thought I'd share: a nice use for a multi-class feat and some good Paragon Path synergy. It uses a Dwarf Warlock to quickly make a passable melee 2nd at Heroic tier, and at Paragon level able to hold his own against a Fighter in melee without sacrificing much as a Warlock.

Update:
- StarKiller_'s Hexforged -- a solid Warforged variant that kicks much posterior.
- The integral components: Build Skeleton.
- Hexhealer variant by MwaO.
- Accounted for July's rules update; added equipment section.

- - -

Original Build (through Paragon tier):

Stumpy MacHexhammer -- Dwarf Warlock (infernal pact)
Str: 16
Con: 18 (16 +2)
Dex: 10
Int: 12
Wis: 14 (12 +2)
Cha: 8

Level 1:
At-Will: Infernal pact = Eldritch Blast + Hellish Rebuke. No choices there.
Encounter: Vampiric Embrace is nice. It's a Will attack, and gives us 5+Int temporary HP.
Daily: Armor of Agathys. 10+Int temporary HP, and for the rest of the encounter, all enemies who start adjacent to us take 1d6+Con cold damage (or 2d6+Con with curse).
Feat: Chainmail Proficiency, so we can survive enemies starting adjacent to us.

Level 2:
Feat: Toughness, so we're slightly less squishy.
Utility power: Ethereal Stride. We're still kinda squishy.

Level 3:
Encounter: Fiery Bolt. It's a nice, fast way to clear minions away from a primary target, so you can curse the BBEG quickly.

Level 4: Con +1, Str +1
Feat: Dwarven Weapon Training (+2 damage with your warhammer). We could have taken this at 2nd level, but I'm a chicken.

Level 5:
Daily: Hunger of Hadar. "Sustain minor" is unappealing, but we are pretty sturdy by now, and not afraid of a charge attack, nor of being mobbed by minions (thanks to Armor of Agathys) -- thus, we can afford to regularly spend our Move action on a Curse.

Level 6:
Feat: Fighter multi-class feat (which is mostly useless in itself). We'll take the one-handed attack version, since we'll want our other hand free for an implement.
Utility power: Shroud of Black Steel seems most fitting. Gish buff! (However, note that Fey Switch is downright dirty if you've got your Armor of Agathys active, and your ally was surrounded by minions. Consider Fey Switch if you have a squishy Rogue who tends to get into trouble.)

Level 7:
Encounter: Howl of Doom! Our first Close power. Yay! This power is sweet if used in conjunction with a Wizard-made "zone of nastiness", and unlike the Wizard, you're tough enough to deliver it in person.

Level 8: +1 Str (-> 18), +1 Con (-> 20)
Free feat. Don't pay much attention to it, we're retraining this one at 11th level.

Level 9:
Daily: Summons of Khirad. I'd previously been in favor of the Iron Spike of Dis, because it deals half damage on a miss (and half + curse is still decent), but the ability to move a foe adjacent to you while you have your Armor of Agathys up is juicy. Unlike most Warlocks, you often enjoy standing toe-to-toe with a foe, so the opportunity to smack someone with your hammer is appealing too.

Level 10:
Feat: Wintertouched.
Utility power: Shielding Shades or Warlock's Leap. Both are good.
Retrain: Fiery Bolt (attack 3) -> Frigid Darkness (attack 3)

Level 11:
Feat: Hammer Rhythm (deal Con damage on a miss).
Enter Iron Vanguard paragon path (heal Con damage when we drop a foe; interrupt to spend an Action Point to act if we are dropped to zero).
Paragon Encounter: Frontline Surge. Str vs. AC, 2[w]+Str, and push the bugger one square, and we can Shift into into his old square, and if we do then our allies can shift as well.
Retrain: our 8th level Heroic feat into Lasting Frost*.
Equipment: You must now buy a Frost Warhammer. You should already own a Rod of Corruption.

Level 12:
Feat: Dwarven Durability (+2 healing surges; surges give you +5 healing).
Utility: Inexorable Shift. We can shift into any adjacent square, and if there was a critter there, we get to push him (no attack or save).
Retrain: Dwarven Weapon Training -> Scale Armor Proficency**.

*) Previously I'd had Twofold Curse as our 11th level feat, and it remains excellent, but the idea of Armor of Agythis + Summons of Khirad + a Frost Warhammer... makes me feel warm inside. In place of Twofold Curse, you should own and be familiar with the use of a Rod of Corruption, my favorite Rod in the whole game. NOTE: Armor of Agythis isn't an attack, so it can't impose cold vulnerability. However, it can sure as Hell be used to exploit cold vulnerability.

**) I'm counting on our +2d6 Curse to make up the damage, though the Frost trick won't hurt either. We'll probably take Weapon Focus (hammers) near Epic, just to be sure.

At 11th level, our basic attack deals Con damage on a miss, which is equivalent to a Fighter at-will (since our Con is higher than our Str). We have one (or two with power swap) Str vs. AC encounter powers that deal multiple Warhammer dice. We have one Close encounter power for crowd control, and of course we have many Warlock ranged attacks.

With our Curse, we deal 1d10+2d6+Str on a melee hit, and on a miss we still deal Con damage. We can benefit from items like Bracers of Mighty Striking, since we're mostly going to be making melee basic attacks.

Moreover, whenever we drop a foe, we get 5 hit points healed, and if that foe was cursed, we also get 11 temporary hit points. With Twofold Curse and Howl of Doom, we could drop two enemies in one round easy for 10 hit points and 11 temporary. That's staying power. Basically, if there are minions around, we can harvest them and heal up.

There's even more Con synergy between Iron Vanguard and Infernal Warlock. The 16th level ability ("Deal Con damage when you push a foe or knock a foe prone") is gold alongside the Iron Vanguard's regular powers (all of which push), and it makes Bull Rush a useful tactic against high-AC, low-Fortitude foes (though there are fewer of those than you'd expect). Con damage on a push makes Howl of Doom competitive with high-level powers, making me want to keep it alongside Spiteful Darts at high level.

Anyway, we're now getting to the point where we have to replace old stuff to get new stuff.

- - -

Level 12 Snapshot
Str: 19 (16 +3 level)
Con: 21 (16 +2 racial +3 level)
Dex: 11 (10 +1 level)
Int: 13 (12 +1 level)
Wis: 15 (12 +2 racial +1 level)
Cha: 9 (8 +1 level)

HP: 103 (12 +21 Con +60 level +10 feat); Bloodied 51; Surge 30 hp (25 +5 Con); Surges/Day: 13 (6 +5 Con +2 feat), plus one from Armor

Defenses:
- AC 26 (10 +6 level +10 armor)
- Fort 24 (10 +6 level +5 Con +3 item)
- Reflex 21 (10 +6 level +1 Int +3 item +1 class)
- Will 22 (10 +6 level +2 Wis +3 item +1 class)

Feats: Chainmail, Toughness, Dwarven Weapon Training -> Scale Armor, Fighter multi-class feat, Wintertouched, (whatever) -> Lasting Frost, Hammer Rhythm, Dwarven Durability

Magic Items:
- Frost Hammer +2 (8th level)
- Amulet of Protection +3 (11th level)
- Dwarven Scale Armor +3 (12th level)
- Rod of Corruption +3 (13th level)

Attacks: +2d6 Curse damage
Basic:
Frost Warhammer +14 vs. AC (6 level +4 Str +2 prof +2 weapon), hit 1d10 +6; miss 5 damage
Eldritch Blast +14 vs. Reflex (6 level +5 Con +3 impl), hit 1d10 +8

At-Will:

Hellish Rebuke: +14 vs. Reflex, damage 1d6 +8 fire

Encounter:
L1 - Vampiric Embrace: +14 vs. Will, hit 2d8 +8 necrotic
L3 - Frigid Darkness: +14 vs. Fort, hit 2d8 +8 cold +combat advantage
L7 - Howl of Doom: +14 vs. Fort, hit 2d6 +8 thunder +push 2 squares
Paragon - Frontline Surge: +14 vs. AC, hit 2d10 +6 +push +shift (+allies shift)

Daily:
L1 - Armor of Agathys (special), damage 1d4+5
L5 - Hunger of Hadar: 1-burst Zone, hit 2d10 necrotic and LoS; sustain attack +14 vs. Fort, damage 1d6 +8 necrotic
L9 - Summons of Khirad: +14 vs. Will, hit 2d10 +8 psychic and teleport; sustain minor teleport

Utility Powers:
L2 - Ethereal Stride (encounter)
L6 - Shroud of Black Steel (daily)
L10 - Shielding Shades (daily)
Paragon - Inexorable Shift (encounter)

- - -

Level 13:
Encounter: Vampiric Embrace -> Coldfire Vortex (yay cold synergy)

Level 14: +1 Str (-> 20), +1 Con (-> 22)
Feat: Plate Armor Proficiency

Level 15:
Daily: Hunger of Hadar -> Tendrils of Thuban (cold synergy, Zone immobilizes)

Level 16:
Paragon: Push or trip a foe = deal Con damage (6 points).
Feat: Plate Armor Specialization
Utility: Cloak of Shadow or Infuriating Elusiveness. Either way, nice mobility.

Level 17:
Frigid Darkness -> Warlock's Bargain. At last, a way to spend our copious temporary HP! Sadly, we won't be keeping this power for long.

Level 18: +1 Str (-> 21), +1 Con (-> 23)
Feat: Encounter Power Swap (Warlock's Bargain -> Vorpal Tornado). Now let me explain the awesome that is Vorpal Tornado. You get a Str vs. AC against all foes in a Close burst 1, and your hit deals 1[w]+Str +push +knockdown. Iron Vanguard deals Con damage on a push or a knockdown. So really, you're dealing 1[w] +Curse +Str +2Con, and your foes are prone and 1 square away from you. Together with Howl of Doom, we have two area Encounter powers that push. We can lay down a lot of damage when we're surrounded.

Level 19:
Daily: Armor of Agathys -> Minions of Mlbolge. Anyone who enters a square adjacent to you is pushed 3 squares and takes 2d10 fire damage, +implement bonus (keyword), +Con bonus (Trample the Fallen). That's a minimum of 2d10 +10. You don't even have to sustain it! You just need to keep replenishing your reservoir of temporary hit points.

Level 20:
Feat: Twofold Curse
Paragon Daily: Indomitable Strength. Str vs. AC, 4[w] +Str damage +push +knockdown +dazed, AND you get to spend a healing surge.

- - -

Equipment
Necessary:
  • Rod of Corruption. This is my favorite magic item for a Warlock who plans to use his Pact Boon frequently.
  • Armor: Duh. Get good armor. Preferably Dwarf armor, since extra Free action healing is tanky.
  • Bracers of Mighty Striking: You're only going to be making melee basic attacks, so the extra damage is tasty.
  • Weapon: Less important than your Armor & Rod. Can be up to 5 levels below you without impacting your awesomeness too much. Luckily Frost weapons are relatively cheap. (Compared to Flaming, for example -- why do they hate Tieflings? Oh well, not your problem.) If you are not taking the Lasting Frost route, look into a Relentless weapon (Dragon 365, Bazaar column) once you hit 16th level, and you'll probably have the most brutal critical hits possible before Vorpal at level 30.
Nice to Have:
  • Winged Boots: If you're 15th level or higher, it's hard to find a better pair of boots, particularly since falling damage got so nasty.
  • Cloak of Survival: Dwarves don't worry much about poison damage, so survival is superior to health IMHO.
  • Belt of Vigor: You have a lot of healing surges. This is a good item for you.
  • Rod of the Dragon's Heart: (Dragon 365, Bazaar column) Juicy, but highly situational. Since it's an Immediate power, you can't trigger it yourself, and it requires that your foes be clumped up. When it works, it can heal you a chunk of damage, but don't expect it to be useful every day.
  • Flask of the Dragon's Breath: (Dragon 365, Bazaar column) Hey look, a cheap area attack. It appears the attack is either a Minor or a free action, but this may just be poor writing.
- - -

For Epic Destiny, I'm thinking Eternal Seeker, so we can get a couple more Str vs. AC powers. There's nothing bad about Demigod, though.

What are your thoughts? I'm sure there's still room for improvement!

Thanks, -- N

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
Re: [Archive] Hexhammer Gish
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 07:27:59 AM »

Quote from: StarKilller_
The Hexforged

This is the update based on the Nov 2009 errata and the EPG's removal of embedded leg components.

First here are my thoughts on key differences between a Hexhammer and a Hexforged:
1. As a warforged you don't get the dwarf's warhammer proficiency so you have a couple choices:
... 1a. use a mace which a warlock already knows how to use instead of spending a proficiency on a hammer weapon since Hammer Rhythm works with both maces and hammers;
... 1b. you can get Warhammer as a bonus proficiency if you use the Scales of War "Gritty Sergeant" background.
2. If you want to spend a feat on hammer proficiency:
... 2a. Theziner has pointed out the intense damage offered by the mordenkrad hammer and that is certainly the best 2-handed option;
... 2b. the craghammer is the 1-handed alternative. Note that if you have two vanguard weapons you get an extra 1d8 on a charge which is awesome but you will need to spend a feat on the Rakshasa Claw or Disembodied Hand familiar in order to be able to stow the weapon when you want to use your implement attack.
3. If you didn't spend that feat on a 2-handed hammer proficiency use it to grab a light shield proficiency and eventually make it to a heavy shield, this provides great utility as an attached component to a warforged and boosts your Reflex defense as well.
... 3a. You could stick with chainmail armor: the heavy shield makes up the difference between chain & plate and improves the Reflex defense which armor doesn't do; as an option not available to scale/plate you can get Eladrin Chain which is a boon to teleport spells.
4. No matter your weapon, have your implement embedded into an arm slot; the EPG removed our leg slots but you can still embed two implements (one per arm) and take the hand of whichever arm you want to use off your weapon to blast away. Thus, a two-handed weapon works quite well. If you go with the dual Vanguard weapons & Claw/Hand familiar then you familiar will basically hold the weapon while you blast with your embedded implement or swap weapon for non-embedded implement.

Thanks to being able to take Eldritch Strike instead of Eldritch Blast, this build becomes really good with a pre-racial 18 in Con as you no longer need to pump Str beyond enough to get chainmail.

Iron Vanguard is still a good PP but Warforged Juggernaught works well for charging since you can use Eldritch Strike as a melee basic.

Most of all, like the base Hexhammer, this build is fun: you get to do the striker role of Warlocks without the "glass cannon" feel. Again, thanks to Nifft for coming up with the original Hexhammer build and to Theziner & others who have pitched in on the Hexforged build.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Sulfur, level 1
Warforged, Warlock
Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Constitution
Eldritch Pact: Infernal Pact
Background: Windrise Ports (Windrise Ports Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 20, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 18, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 10.

AC: 16 Fort: 15 Reflex: 13 Will: 12
HP: 32 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +7, History +7, Arcana +7, Intimidate +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics -1, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering -1, Endurance +6, Heal -1, Insight -1, Nature -1, Perception -1, Stealth -1, Streetwise, Thievery -1, Athletics

FEATS
Level 1: Armor Proficiency (Chainmail)

POWERS
Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Strike
Warlock encounter 1: Vampiric Embrace
Warlock daily 1: Armor of Agathys

ITEMS
Chainmail, Implement, Rod, Adventurer's Kit, Morningstar
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Future Feats:
2: Wpn Prof: Mordenkrad
4: Imp Dark One's Blessing
6: Sacrifice to Caiphon
8: Wpn Expertise
10: Student of the Sword (if Iron Vanguard PP) or Warforged Tactics (if Warforged Juggernaught PP)

Personality: play him as being possessed by an infernal entity and laugh maniacally as you feast upon mortal souls!

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 07:31:45 AM »

Great Build, thank you.

I am still learning 4e, (like many) and am wondering why this build has so many temp hit points from different sources if they do not stack?

Basically, cowardice. :) I want to be assured of starting each encounter with some temporary HP. In typical (non-Solo) fights, I can count on my Pact Boon to refresh my temporary HP with some regularity, but that doesn't necessarily help me on round 1.

He needs to be able to survive until round 2-3 when the kills start rolling in.

- - -

There's a bit of meta-game optimization I should note here, too, with respect to Curse vs. kill strategy. If your DM uses different initiatives for different foes, you should try to Curse foes which your friends will kill. If your DM uses the same initiative for all foes, you should just focusing on cursing your own kills.

Why? Because if your DM has different initiatives for each (group of) foes, it's easily possible for your temporary HP buffer to refill between hits. However, if your DM has all the foes go on the same initiative, that scenario is vanishingly unlikely, unless your allies frequently trigger interrupt or opportunity attacks which somehow include you... like I said, vanishingly unlikely.

Now, with your Rod of Corruption and your two teleport powers, it's not hard to leave a pack of Cursed foes for your team mates to chew through, while you face off against the big boss who was hiding in the rear. Whether you should do this may depend on the granularity of your temporary HP buffer getting refilled. :)

Cheers, -- N

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 07:34:34 AM »
Quote from: couchmonkey
Hey Nifft,

You dropped by in a thread I started a week ago or so. I was asking for info on proper Warlocks when you pointed out this build and while not "proper" I think this build is pretty amazing for the material released. His versatility and durability on the mat are pretty nice. Anyhow I am trying to distill this build into its most essential parts. The reason why I am doing this is because my DM runs a roleplay heavy campaign that will likely be using more Skill Challenges then Combats. I still want to be pretty good as a Combat Gish though. So I guess I am interested in getting your opinion on a Hexhammer-Lite so that I can open up some of the feats for Jack of All Trades and Ritual Casting and maybe a Skill Training or Focus if I feel I need it. So in the spirit of this request I will relay what I think is necessary for this build and hope you can fill in the blanks or rate the components of your build by importance. Anybody else can chime in too if they like.

High STR and CON
Infernal Warlock as Primary Class
Temp HP Powers
Heavy Armor Proficiency*
Hammer or Mace Proficiency
Fighter Multiclass(One Handed)*
Iron Vanguard Paragon Path
Hammer Rhythm*
Two-Fold Curse*
Rod of Corruption

*Feats

Essentially you get a Basic Attack which is better then a Fighter At-Will, durability that hovers close to the Fighter's and the goodies from Iron Vanguard. Did anyone get a ruling on the Warlock's Curse/Hammer Rhythm Miss synergy? What are your opinions on the most optimal Skills available to take with the Fighter Multiclass? I thought since I would be taking Ritual Casting Heal might be a good choice but this build dumps WIS or DEX(In my case WIS). Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack, just wanted to pick your brain on some less combat optimal variations.

Hey there! First, no worries on hijacking -- the build seems to be basically done, and Epic he can only go Demigod or Eternal Seeker, and both are great, so that's fine.

IMHO, variants are very much on-topic. :)

Let's see. The core strategy is: wear armor and tank using temporary hit points, until you can heal using kills at level 11. The important powers are the ones that (a) kill stuff, and (b) give you voluntary temporary HP at the beginning of a fight before you've had a chance to kill stuff.

So, the skeleton of a build: Race, stats as before. You can lower Wisdom to 8 (-> 10 with racial mods) and raise Charisma to qualify for feats or have some modicum of social talent.

Level 1: unchanged. We want one Temp HP encounter power (Vampiric Embrace) to kick off every combat, and we want Armor of Agathys since it's just plain awesome.

Level 2: Utility power choice -- none are integral to the build. Feat should stay Toughness, though.

Level 3: Fiery Bolt is nice, but not necessary. Encounter power choice.

Level 4: Fighter multi-class feat. This is your last "necessary" feat. You could take it at 10th level, in which case this becomes a free feat.

Level 5: Hunger of Hadar is nice, but not integral.

Level 6: Feat choice, Utility power choice.

Level 7: Howl of Doom is integral. It's the only Close power for a looooong time.

Level 8: Feat will be eaten by Paragon retraining, so do whatever you want, but don't get too attached.

Level 9: Summons of Khirad is hilarious, and should be taken for amusement if nothing else.

Level 10: Feat choice, or Fighter multi-class feat if you haven't already taken it.

Level 11: Iron Vanguard (integral), Utility power choice, Hammer Rhythm feat (integral), retrain 8th level feat into Dwarven Durability. We don't need to care about the Frost damage trick -- it's not integral, and he'll perform fine without it, but it is "cool", if you'll excuse the pun.

Level 12: Twofold Curse (recommended, not integral), retrain something into Scale Armor Proficiency (recommended, not integral).

- - -

DONE! From here on, your choices are your own. At early levels I wanted Vampiric Embrace and Armor of Agathys to give me temporary HP at the start of every encounter, but starting at level 11 we can heal ourselves with every kill. We can freely trade out those powers now.

Cheers, -- N

Thanks! So toughness is pretty integral huh? Its not a bad feat. It seems to place you firmly between Striker and Defender hit point tiers.

Exactly! :) IMHO it's most important at low level (like 2nd) when you aren't getting a whole lot of temporary HP. By 30th level, when you get +30 temporary HP with every kill, the +15 bonus base HP are still nice, but not quite as life saving.

As for Demigod versus Eternal Seeker, What are your feelings on these? Obviously, the big deal about Demigod is the Encounter Power refreshing ability at 30th. It seems good for people who really like their Encounter Powers. Eternal Seeker gets the nice ability to choose whatever powers they like which should grow in usefulness as more supplements are released. What do you think is better? The fights can last a long time at this level, giving Demigod an advantage here. What do you think is the best option for the Seekers 30th level ability?

I have no idea. :) I'm going to have to play a lot more before I can give any kind of useful feedback on those levels. And as you point out, supplements will probably change the value of dipping. It's really hard to look beyond Divine Regeneration, though. If that gets nerfed -- and I suspect it will be nerfed to merely grant regeneration equal to your highest stat modifier -- then Eternal Seeker looks even better.

Cheers, -- N

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 07:37:49 AM »
Quote from: moosh_nailo
    Why bother with Toughness when Improved Dark One's Blessing is available? Rather than a flat 5hp(even with the tier increases), IDOB provides a constant renewable source of hp*. Since you're gonna be cursing things left right and center anyway, it seems to make more sense to me than toughness.

It hadn't been asked yet, so here's my reasoning:

First, let's look at your base HP. 12 + Con (18) at 1st level = 30; Bloodied 15; Surge 7; Surges/day 10. Not bad, not great.

2nd level HP increase by 5 (class) and then another 5 (Toughness). HP = 40; bloodied = 20; Surge = 10. That's very nice. Toughness at 2nd level gives us a number evenly divisible by 4, which is what you want to see when you're expecting to use your Second Wind every fight -- and you should, since for a Dwarf it's only a minor action.

11th level HP: 12 + 50 + 21 (Con) + 10 (Toughness) = 93 / 46 / 23.
11th level HP w/o Toughness = 83 / 41 / 20.

The difference in healing is about 2-3 hp per Surge, and I value healing bonuses more highly than temporary HP bonuses, since healing comes only when you actually need it.

- - -

So, about IDOB. IMHO it's most useful at low level (1-4), but those are the levels where we can't spare a feat and where we will rely more on Armor of Agathys and Vampiric Embrace anyway.

It seems like a fine choice around 6th level, in addition to Toughness (not instead of it). Looking over the damage expressions in the DMG, it seems that it won't ever be useless. Now, I like the Frost weapon trick (Wintertouched + Lasting Frost), but if you don't like that combo, then IDOB is a good replacement.

Cheers, -- N

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 08:04:50 AM »
Quote from: dmcpike1
So I decided to do a review and over all look at the adventurers vault thinking of this build in particular.

Pact hammer lvl2

So after reading the pact hammer I realize that this is crazy for both the dwarf and the warforged build. It has two properties, the first lets it act as an impliment for only dwarves. The second, lets it do EXTRA curse damage to whatever you hit if they are already cursed. The second power IS NOT limited to dwarves so it will be awesome for warforged still!

It would then be doing +2d6 from your curse in melee!

Next thing we should consider for the build is the Craghammer for the Dwarf build or the Mordenkrad for the warforged build at the cost of a feat and a rod (going from having 3 equipped to 2...ie..corruption and reaving).

Interesting Rods also to consider:

Bloodcurse Rod (lvl4)-Pact boon also triggers when an attack you make bloodies a creature

Rod of Brutality (lvl9)-Reroll all ones on the extra damage from Warlocks Curse

Rod of Cursed Honor(lvl2)- Whenever you place a warlocks curse on a creature gain a +1 power bonus to all saves until EOT

Rod of the Shadow Walker(lvl4)-Whenever you curse a target, gain concealment till EOT (no more having to move!!!!)

Vicous Rod- Whenever you deal curse damage, roll d8s instead of d6s

Wands:
None are really benificial to this build though I am seeing them making wizards much more powerful!

Armor:
Shimmering Armor...IF...it wasnt just cloth...as it is lvl4-it allows you to make range/area attacks without provoking OAs.

Arms Slot:
Iron Armbands of Power (lvl6)- +2 item bonus to melee damage rolls!

Warlock Bracers-(lvl11)- +1 item bonus to all Defenses against a creature affected by your curse

Feet:
Boots of Adapt Charging(lvl2)-after charging, can shift one square before turn ends

Hands: must have
Gloves of Eldritch Admixture(lvl8)- When you deal extra damage with warlock curse you can choose that damage to be acid, fire or COLD!!!
Power-atwill-gets 5 charges/day-free action-the next attack you make deals extra dmg equal to how many charges you use 1-1d6, 2- 2d6, 5- 3d6

Gloves of Storing(lvl9)-minor action store an item in glove under 10lbs. recall as minor. (EXTRA RODS!)

Sure Shot Gloves(lvl9)-Your Ranged attacks ignore cover

HEAD:
Casque of Tactics(lvl4)-Gain +1 to initiative PowerDaily-swap initiative with a willing ally

Circlet of Second Chances(lvl3)-Daily-reroll failed saving throw

Eagle Eye Goggles(lvl2)-+1 item bonus to ranged basic attacks roll

Neck:
Cloak of distortion(lvl4)-a ranged attack from at least 5 squares away take -5 to the attack roll

Medallion of Death Deferred (lvl9 +2 min)-Daily- if you are reduced to zero regain 3 hp per plus

Waist:
Belt of Blood(lvl10)- Your healing surge while bloodied increases equal to your con modifier

Cincture of the Dragon Spirit(lvl6)- Can use STR instead for CHA for intimidate

Wonderous Items:
Phantom Soldier(lvl7)- 1hp soldier with your defenses. Can be used to flank. Move as a minor action

Power jewel(lvl5)- must have reached a milestone-regain the use of a 1/3 level encounter power

Thats about it...I prolly missed some but I am sure you can find them.

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 08:26:54 AM »
Quote from: reyyvin
    Pact Hammer is a must for a Hexforged. Period.

Here is why. You get your curse damage on a hit, then the Pact Hammer adds your curse damage again. Also in that same round you add curse damage again every time you hit with the hammer be it OA, action point, or a Warlord's Basic. This is huge.

This is just one of 2 interpretations.

The second property on the pact hammer reads "When you hit a target affected by your Warlock's Curse with this weapon, you deal your extra curse damage against that target"(AV, pg 74)

Under Warlock's curse (PhB, 131), it says "You can deal this extra damage once per round." This is a general rule.

RAW, you can already apply your Warlock's Curse damage to a target hit with a weapon.

Specific rules trump general rules. Unfortunately, the entry for the Pact Hammer does not EXPLICITLY state that it bypasses the once per round limitation.

One interpretation is that the creator of the Pact Hammer was confused and thought that weapon attacks wouldn't allow the extra Curse damage and there was simply an error in editing.

The second interpretation is that it allows you to do your extra damage again on attacks.

For an item that is only a level 2 base, this is an extraordinarily powerful ability, as this basically doubles a Warlock's curse damage every round. Remember, a standard Pact Blade is a level 3 weapon with a weaker property. Does it make sense to 'repackage' a property with a STRONGER property and lower its level?

Basic logic (I know, logic and DnD don't always mix) and RAW point towards the first interpretation. Until we get an official ruling, RAW it allows you to already do something that you can already do.

Secondly, where does it say you can only use two rods for properties at a time? CS is just making stuff up there adding rule text where none exists.

Check the FAQ on Wizards website. here's a link to the 4E FAQ page

http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1397

Remember, UPDATES are actual text/rule changes to fix something that is broken. FAQ is a compilation of Frequently Asked Questions (gasp!) that CS gets asked so many times (as a group) that they post the answer so that they can spend their time answering hundreds of other questions/rules interpretations.

While they are not the game developers, they are Wizards employees. And if something has been asked (and therefore, answered) enough to make it onto the FAQ, then it is, at worst, a general consensus among the people PAID to interpret the rules by the company that publishes the rules.

Individual question responses may have... variation, but the FAQ is as close as we'll ever get to official (until they publish a rules compendium).

Remember that due to limited playtesting and cheesebreaking before the books are published (ever notice all the editing errors?), the developers can't foresee EVERY possible abuse of any particular rule or item.

To add versatility to the Warforged, they allow you to store 2 rods in legs and 2 in arms and gain the same number of properties that a normal Warlock would have (2), while STILL allowing you to hold a 1-handed weapon, heavy shield, AND a rod.

If they wanted, TECHNICALLY, they could rule that 1 rod takes up the Arms magic item slot (can't have 2, since there are only 1 arms slot) and can't store a magic item in the legs (since there is no 'legs' magic item slot - mundane items only!). Which would loose some versatility.

Remember, for fleshbag Warlocks to get the benefit of 2 rods, they can't wield a weapon or a heavy shield.

Yeah, sometimes they 'make up rules,' but fortunately, it usually helps keep the cheese factor in line. And remember, since they are WIZARDS EMPLOYEES, they have greater access to the developers, internal memos, etc, that allow them to have a better chance of correctly 'interpreting' RAW.

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 08:43:51 AM »
Quote from: isenhertz
A very possible "divergent strain" if you will is taking a Half-Elf (who also gets +CON) and picking up Pressing Strike from the Barbarian. Then you have an At-Will at last that you can use in melee, and it triggers Trample The Fallen on every hit to boot.

A quick Half-Elf example

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
Keyleth, level 30
Half-Elf, Warlock, Iron Vanguard, Prison of the Winds
Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Blast Constitution
Student of the Sword: Student of Two-Handed Weapons

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 24, Con 28, Dex 14, Int 15, Wis 13, Cha 12.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 16, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 13, Wis 11, Cha 8.

AC: 47 Fort: 42 Reflex: 37 Will: 39
HP: 200 Surges: 15 Surge Value: 50

TRAINED SKILLS
History, Religion, Intimidate, Arcana, Endurance.

FEATS
1: Armor Proficiency (Chainmail)
2: Shield Proficiency (Light)
4: Toughness
6: Sacrifice to Caiphon (retrained to Weapon Expertise (Mace) at Level 16)
8: Action Surge
10: Student of the Sword (retrained to Battle Awareness at Level 21)
11: Hammer Rhythm
12: Versatile Master
14: Twofold Curse
16: Implement Expertise (rod)
18: Armor Proficiency (Scale)
20: Armor Proficiency (Plate)
21: Bludgeon Mastery
22: Improved Initiative
24: Armor Specialization (Plate)
26: Robust Defenses
28: Epic Will
30: Epic Resurgence

POWERS
1, At-Will: Pressing Strike
1, Encounter: Vampiric Embrace
1, Daily: Armor of Agathys
2, Utility: Ethereal Stride
3, Encounter: Fiery Bolt
5, Daily: Hunger of Hadar
6, Utility: Shroud of Black Steel
7, Encounter: Howl of Doom
9, Daily: Summons of Khirad
10, Utility: Shielding Shades
13, Encounter: Coldfire Vortex (replaces Vampiric Embrace)
15, Daily: Thirsting Maw (replaces Armor of Agathys)
16, Utility: Caiphon's Disquieting Liberty
17, Encounter: Soul Flaying (replaces Fiery Bolt)
19, Daily: Minions of Malbolge (replaces Hunger of Hadar)
22, Utility: Entropic Ward
23, Encounter: Spiteful Darts (replaces Howl of Doom)
25, Daily: Tartarean Tomb (replaces Summons of Khirad)
27, Encounter: Hellfire Curse (replaces Soul Flaying)
29, Daily: Hurl Through Hell (replaces Thirsting Maw)

ITEMS
Vicious Rod +6, Rod of Brutality +6, Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier), Boots of Teleportation (epic tier), Gloves of Eldritch Admixture (epic tier), Iron of Spite (epic tier), Torc of Power Preservation +6, War Ring (paragon tier), Ring of Ramming (paragon tier), Belt of Mountain Endurance (paragon tier), Rod of Dispater +6, Agile Pitmail Armor +6, Agile Titanscale Armor +6, Light Shield, Agile Godplate Armor +6

This build never bothers with anything better than a Mace. Why? Because we're going to de-throne Dispater for his nifty Rod, which counts both as a Rod and Mace, and as a nifty at-will that triggers on any melee attack, pushing two and dazing (save ends). Mwahahah. :D

You could possibly use Craghammers until then (or forever more, if your DM won't let you upset the hierarchies of Hell), throwing out Sacrifice to Caiphon for the Weapon Proficiency and obviously never retraining that.

Quite possible, if possibly not as much fun, is foregoing melee weapons altogether and going with Reaper's Touch. You lose a smidgen of damage (mostly from not being able to use the "standard" Iron Armbands for improved melee damage), but never need to worry about Weapon Proviciency or Focus. I threw together a Dragonborn/Scion of Arkhosia/Adamantine Soldier the other day, who doesn't get the nifty "regain CON modifier HP on a kill", but can exploit the Frost Combo via Rod of the Dragonborn and Versatile Breath (say, cold/fire) and Gloves of Eldritch Admixture.

The Dragonborn example

Tyakraman, level 30
Dragonborn, Warlock, Scion of Arkhosia, Adamantine Soldier
Student of the Sword: Student of One-Handed Weapons
Background: Scion of an Ancient Bloodline

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 15, Con 26, Dex 12, Int 20, Wis 14, Cha 12.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 11, Con 18, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 8.

AC: 48 Fort: 41 Reflex: 41 Will: 42
HP: 198 Surges: 14 Surge Value: 60

TRAINED SKILLS
History, Insight, Arcana, Intimidate, Endurance.

FEATS
1: Reaper's Touch
2: Hurl Breath
4: Adaptable Breath (retrained to Toughness at Level 11)
6: Armor Proficiency (Chainmail)
8: Implement Expertise (rod)
10: Student of the Sword (retrained to Battle Awareness at Level 12)
11: Twofold Curse
12: Empowered Dragon Breath
14: Armor Proficiency (Scale)
16: Lasting Frost
18: Wintertouched
20: Defensive Mobility
21: Student of the Athanaeum
22: Armor Proficiency (Plate)
24: Epic Will
26: Armor Specialization (Plate)
28: Epic Recovery
30: Robust Defenses

POWERS
10, Utility: Shielding Shades
13, Encounter: Soul Flaying (replaces Vampiric Embrace)
15, Daily: Fireswarm (replaces Hunger of Hadar)
17, Encounter: Harrowstorm (replaces Fiery Bolt)
19, Daily: Minions of Malbolge (replaces Armor of Agathys)
25, Daily: Tartarean Tomb (replaces Summons of Khirad)
27, Encounter: Banish to the Void (replaces Soul Flaying)
29, Daily: Hurl Through Hell (replaces Fireswarm)

ITEMS
Battleforged Godplate Armor +6, Rod of the Dragonborn +6, Rod of Brutality +6, Backtrack Bindings (epic tier), Gloves of Eldritch Admixture (epic tier), Warlock's Bracers (paragon tier), Eye of Awareness (epic tier), Wyrmtouched Amulet +6, Ring of Regeneration (epic tier), Nullifying Ring (epic tier), Belt of Vigor (epic tier)

What we really need to improve the Hexhammer is another class that uses CON as their main or at least off stat. Until then, it's a bit like scrounging for diamonds in the rubble.

What can I say, I love the Hexhammer. :D Easily my favorite when it comes to 4E builds.

Here's a variation of the Half-Elf outlined in the previous post. Unlike that one -- which I like to call the "Hexmace" -- this version doesn't go all the way to de-throning Dispater himself in order to use his nifty scepter as an implement-weapon. (The Rod of Dispater is a +6 Rod that counts as a Mace, with a push and daze SE on any melee hit as well as an at-will ranged attack & debuff -- look it up, it's just that juicy!)

Instead, this build relies on the Mordenkrad to dish out damage, relying on a Star of Corellon to empower "normal" Warlock attacks. Worshipping the right gods does pay off.

For Versatile Master, this Hexhammer picks up Howling Strike, because of the added damage spike and option of using it in a charge. A "normal" hit on a Cursed enemy is a +33 vs. AC attack that deals 4d6+3d6+3d6+16 damage without any equipment boni besides Enhancement. Assuming a Bloodclaw weapon and IAoP, it deals 4d6+3d6+3d6+40 instead, for the low cost of 6 points of damage. The alternative of the previous posts still stands -- Pressing Strike is just excellent for setting up flanks and other beneficial situations. If you have a buddy on the frontline -- which you should --, it's gold. You lose the charging benefit and the additional +3d6 damage, but since you push, you get your CON modifier in damage in return. (That said, if you have the option of using the Rod of Dispater +6 as the above build does, the Fighter's Brash Strike might be even better in terms of damage, since you're pushing anyway. I hadn't considered that when I outlined the first draft above.)

Show

Keyleth 2H, level 30
Half-Elf, Warlock, Iron Vanguard, Prison of the Winds
Student of the Sword: Student of Two-Handed Weapons

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 24, Con 28, Dex 15, Int 15, Wis 12, Cha 12.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 16, Con 16, Dex 11, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 8.

AC: 45 Fort: 42 Reflex: 40 Will: 39
HP: 205 Surges: 15 Surge Value: 51

TRAINED SKILLS
History, Religion, Intimidate, Arcana, Athletics.

FEATS
2: Weapon Proficiency (Mordenkrad)
4: Weapon Focus (Hammer)
6: Sacrifice to Caiphon
8: Action Surge (retrained to Adept Power at Level 11)
10: Student of the Sword
12: Versatile Master
14: Novice Power
16: Implement Expertise (holy symbol)
18: Armor Proficiency (Scale)
20: Weapon Expertise (Hammer)
21: Bludgeon Mastery
22: Student of the Athanaeum
24: Armor Specialization (Scale)
26: Robust Defenses
30: Epic Reflexes

POWERS
1, At-Will: Howling Strike
10, Utility: Troublesome Aid of Caiphon
13, Encounter: Coldfire Vortex (retrained to Crumpling Slam at Novice Power) (replaces Vampiric Embrace)
15, Daily: Thirsting Maw (replaces Armor of Agathys)
17, Encounter: Soul Flaying (replaces Fiery Bolt)
19, Daily: Minions of Malbolge (replaces Hunger of Hadar)
25, Daily: Tartarean Tomb (retrained to Earthquake Smash at Adept Power) (replaces Summons of Khirad)
27, Encounter: Banish to the Void (replaces Soul Flaying)
29, Daily: Hurl Through Hell (retrained to Cascading Catapult Slam at Adept Power) (replaces Thirsting Maw)

ITEMS
Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier), Iron of Spite (epic tier), War Ring (paragon tier), Ring of Ramming (paragon tier), Belt of Mountain Endurance (paragon tier), Agile Elderscale Armor +6, Brooch of Vitality +6, Sandals of Avandra (epic tier), Gauntlets of Destruction (paragon tier), Star of Corellon +6, Bloodclaw Mordenkrad +6

With a Speed of 10, a Charging attack that deals damage as outlined above (and still does 9 Damage from Hammer Rhythm whenever it misses), this Hexhammer is a veritable Juggernaut on the battlefied. Note that the Novice and Adept power swaps are optional -- I personally consider Crumpling Slam to be much better, as far as synergy is concerned, than Coldfire Vortex, and though Hurl through Hell is ace, Cascading Catapult Slam is just too awesome considering we do 9 damage on each and every push or prone effect:
on a hit (again, with Bloodclaw and IAoP), we deal 8d6+3d6+40 damage, push 10 (+9 dmg), and knock the enemy prone (+9 dmg). Then we hit a second target for 1d10+22, push 2 (+9 dmg), and knock it prone (+9 dmg). AND THEN WE HIT A THIRD TARGET FOR THE SAME. It targets FORT, which sucks, but with a good Leader it should be doable.

While we don't get the full +3 from Agile armor (we are one point short on DEX and only get +2, for a total of 47), it meshes just too beautifully with the Prison of the Winds feature that turns us insubstantial while bloodied.

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 08:45:15 AM »
Quote from: Jay_Ibero_911
I have a rough build for a very defender capable warlock I like to call a HexHalberd. It uses 2 elements that haven't been fully released yet, but based on the previews could make for some awesome.

Race:Warforged
    Alignment:
    Region:
    Paragon Path:
    Epic Destiny:

STR-11 (1)+2
    CON-16 (9)+2
    DEX-14 (5)
    INT-12 (2)
    WIS-14 (5)
    CHA-8 (0)

Lv1(Warlock)Chainmail Proficiency
    AW1:Eldritch Strike
    AW2:Hellish Rebuke
    E1ampiric Embrace
    Racial E:Warforged Resolve
    D1:Armor of Agathys
    Lv2(Warlock)White Lotus Riposte
    U2:
    Lv3(Warlock)
    E3:
    Lv4(Warlock)Weapon Proficiency (Halberd), +1 CON+DEX
    Lv5(Warlock)
    D5:
    Lv6(Warlock)Battle Awareness
    U6:
    Lv7(Warlock)
    E7:Howl of Doom
    Lv8(Warlock)Polearm Momentum, +1 CON+WIS

This is only up to 8th level because that's when the full combo comes together. The build assumes Eldritch Strike will be an optional replacement for Eldritch Blast (which seems reasonable), and uses white lotus riposte from this month's dragon article. Weapon is a +1 Staggering Halberd (halberd is the only weapon that can both be used with polearm momentum AND the staggering enhancement). This weapon property increases the slide of Eldrtitch Strike to 2 squares, making it knock the enemy prone thanks to polearm momentum. Typically you'll want to slide them right next to you so that on their turn they have to stand as a move action, leaving them with the choice of shifting away with their standard, moving away (and provoking another Eldritch Strike as an OA, knocking prone again on hit), attacking you (and taking automatic CON mod damage from riposte), making a ranged attack on someone else (Provoking again), or attacking an ally within melee reach (the only option that doesn't result it them getting attacked/damaged). In order to keep that last option minimized, just be sure to slide the enemy away from any other of your allies each round.

The result is a fairly effective defender character without actually marking a target. This would be greatly enhanced however by more melee or at least close warlock powers, weapon or implement not mattering too much. The reason for choosing warforged is for the embedded implement option while still wielding the halberd. A few other valuable feats would be acolyte power to pick up a fighter's unbreakable utility, and pretty much all the other white lotus feats only make this more powerful at-will. And of course there's all the typical warlock fun that this build is capable of as well. Hellish Rebuke+White Lotus Riposte+White Lotus Master Riposte=LOTS of damage if an enemy you hit decides to hit you after you do...

Quote from: tl
an idea that needs some work (especially higher levels), but I think it's interesting. granted, it's using two unreleased abilities (a preview Eldritch Strike and hybrid Barbarian), but I believe those shouldn't be much problem in all but most RaW-true games.

Goliath Hexhybrid

Male Goliath Barbarian|Warlock

Attributes:
Str 18 (includes racial)
Con 18 (includes racial)
Dex 10
Int 12
Wis 12
Cha 8

Paragon Path: Iron Vanguard.

Epic Destiny:

Ability Boosts:
4 - +1 Str, +1 Con
8 - +1 Str, +1 Con
11 - +1 to all
14 - +1 Str, +1 Con
18 - +1 Str, +1 Con
21 - +1 to all
24 - +1 Str, +1 Con
28 - +1 Str, +1 Con

Trained Skills: Arcana, Athletics, Endurance

Powers:

At-Will:
1 – Eldritch Strike, Recuperating Strike

Encounter:
1 – Avalanche Strike
3 – Blade Sweep
7 – Howl of Doom

Daily:
1 – Armor of Agathys or Tyranny of Flame
5 – Hunger of Hadar
9 – Summons of Khirad or Vestige of Shax

Utility:
2 – Ethereal Stride or Fay Bargain
6 – Indomitable Shift
10 – Wellspring of Renewal

Feats:
1 – Hybrid Talent (Feral Might: Rageblood Vigor)
2 – Goliath Greatweapon Prowess (Maul)
4 – Armor Proficiency (chain)
6 – Toughness or Improved Dark One's Blessing
8 – Bravo
10 –
11 – Hammer Rhythm

formatting is stolen form lordduskblade. thank you, ldb.

the original idea came from melee heavy Hexforged, which I was planning on playing in a campaign long time ago that never came to be when Hybrids came out, I was thinking about it but no curse was a pain. Eldritch Strike fixed that for me.

what this guy does is start as a Rageblood Vigor barbarian and then switches to a Eldritch Pact with his Hybrid Talent before picking up Twofold Pact (level 6 if IDOB's wanted).
in long run, you're missing Prime Shot for some barbarian melee goodness and required half/half spread of powers. fair trade I believe.

you could go warforged and take WP: Mordenkrad, or go goliath and their Greatweapon Prowess. I chose goliath, but there is no big deference I think. other feat choices remain mostly unchanged from Hexforged, aside from finding room for Hybrid Talent. perhaps instead of Imp. Warfoged Resolve.

as for power selection, I suggest you plan your retrainings well and pick combos that work best. you can pick and match as you like. starting at-will would be Eldritch Strike as lock's (for curse damage on melee), barb's Recuperating Strike for temps when wanted. you can relearn at-will to Howling Strike once temps start pouring in. (this would be the part that I need most help with, as I can't really rate rages from reading them. help appriciated.)

paragon path is staying Iron Vanguard for the moment, but it could really be anything with the free hands hybriding is giving us. if anyone has the will and experience with paragon and up, next 20 levels are all yours ;)

the bigest issue with it I can see if this is totally unneccesary and outperformed by pure barbarian.

hybrid Barbarian

Hybrid Barbarian:

Bonus to Defense: +1 Fort
Hit Points at 1st Level: 7
Hit Points per Level Gained: 3
Healing Surges per Day: 4

Class Skills: Acrobatics (Dex), Athletics (Str), Endurance (Con), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Nature (Wis), Perception (Wis)

Class Features: Rage Strike

question is whether the class feature is a hit. Rampage or Barbarian Agility would be appreciated but aren't needed, the only guess is Feral Might wouldn't come as a hybrid feature. fair guess I think.

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 08:50:48 AM »
Quote from: deathofrats
Here's my best attempt at it using the character builder. The feats may not be optimal, but it was based upon as much of the elements of Hexhammer I could. Prison of the Winds seems to be awesome synergy with Iron Vanguard and hexhammer in general. I chose Imbuer simply because I like the idea of being able to craft your own magical gear (essential in some campaigns).
I didn't replace Dwarven Weapon Training, as the way I see it you need to spend a feat for weapon proficiency anyway for craghammer, and you can effectively have Dwarven Weapon Training + Weapon Expertise for +3 to hit and +2 damage with a craghammer rather than Weapon Prof, Weapon Expertise and Weapon Focus taking 3 feats for just 1 damage.

Scale armour is about as far as we go too. Is +2 AC worth 2 feats? I don't know. The two feats can be used for putting on weaker defenses and with all the temp hp and massive healing surges I figure that getting hit a bit more is something we will have to live with.

Note that this is a very loosely put together build and I would hope someone can make some adjustments.

Dwarf, Warlock, Iron Vanguard, Prison of the Winds
Background: Imbuer

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 30, Dex 14, Int 18, Wis 16, Cha 10.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 13, Con 18, Dex 10, Int 12, Wis 11, Cha 8.

AC: 38 Fort: 47 Reflex: 38 Will: 41
HP: 202 Surges: 19 Surge Value: 60

TRAINED SKILLS
Streetwise, Thievery, Arcana, Insight.

FEATS
2: Dwarven Weapon Training
4: Battle Awareness
6: Toughness
8: Melee Training (Constitution)
10: Armor Proficiency (Scale)
12: Twofold Curse
14: Dwarven Durability
16: Grit
18: Lasting Frost
20: Weapon Expertise (Hammer)
21: Robust Defenses
22: Blind-Fight
24: Epic Recovery
26: Knock-Back Swing
30: Epic Fortitude

POWERS
2, Utility: Fiendish Resilience
9, Daily: Iron Spike of Dis
10, Utility: Troublesome Aid of Caiphon
13, Encounter: Harrowstorm (replaces Fiery Bolt)
15, Daily: Tendrils of Thuban (replaces Hunger of Hadar)
16, Utility: Infuriating Elusiveness
17, Encounter: Warlock's Bargain (replaces Vampiric Embrace)
19, Daily: Minions of Malbolge (replaces Armor of Agathys)
25, Daily: Thirteen Baleful Stars (replaces Iron Spike of Dis)
27, Encounter: Hellfire Curse (replaces Harrowstorm)
29, Daily: Doom of Delban (replaces Tendrils of Thuban)

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Scale Armor of Sacrifice +6, Cloak of the Walking Wounded +6, Pact Hammer Craghammer +6, Solitaire (Violet) (epic tier) (2), Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier), Rod of Corruption +1, Boots of the Infinite Stride (epic tier), Airstriders (epic tier), Vampiric Gauntlets (paragon tier), Magician's Ring (paragon tier), Iron Ring of the Dwarf Lords (paragon tier), Survivor's Belt (paragon tier)

Quote from: mwao_dup
Half-Elf
Warlock/Student of Caiphon/Demigod

Str 14, Con 16, Dex 8, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 18

Always raise Con/Cha
Dilettante: Twin Strike

1: Chainmail
2: Melee Training Cha
4: ->WP: Throwing Hammer
6: Bardic Dilettante
8: Combat Virtuoso
10: -> Hammer Rhythm
11: Versatile Mastery

While accepting a throwing hammer as a weapon of choice is a little painful, the benefits are pretty cool once you get to 11th. To wit:
You use Cha for both melee and ranged attacks with Twin Strike.
You crit on an 18-20 with a weapon that does Radiant damage - Crusader's Weapon from 11-14, Radiant Weapon thereafter. As long as you do radiant damage, you don't have to worry about needing Bludgeon Mastery and therefore, you can raise your Con without needing to boost your Str past the starting point.
You actually have a 14 Int, so you can use some of the status effects that Warlocks get.
Instead of overinvesting in the same defense, you get a strong fort and will defense.

Quote from: sirapropos
I got to play my Hexhammer Dwarf this past weekend during an LFR Convnetion and had several good results with the new powers from Arcane Power.

Lvl 1 At Will - Eldritch Strike is awesome and means I don't have to take Melee Training Con. I can stop bumping Str at this point and put more into Int to get better bonuses from Secondary effects. The fact that I can use this with Battle Awareness or on a Charge since it is a Basic Melee Attack is almost broken.

Lvl 5 Daily - Tyrannical Threat is very good and not as situational as Hunger of Hodor. The fact that it only hits enemies is a plus and that it marks on a miss because of being an Infernal lock is good also.

Lvl 6 Utility - Life Siphon is really good. It was giving me more temps initially than Vampiric Embrace and let's me use another power to start off a combat with a +2 bonus to the roll.

I just made 8th level and am Retraining Encounter 3 Fiery Bolt into Fortune Binding to use as a way to get save effects off of me and onto enemies. We'll see how that goes.

I tried out the Dwarf feat Rune-Scribed Soul for a level. It let's you add +1 to attack and your Con Mod to Damage on an arcane power after you Second Wind. It worked pretty good but I switched it to Accures Coordination since I was playing with other locks for some of the mods. It works great giving you CA against a target that is doubly cursed. I'll probably keep it until Paragon.

A couple of items I picked up that I didn't look back at all the post to see if they had been mentioned yet are.

Strikebacks that give you a Basic Melee against someone that hits you once per encounter and +2 Pact Blade (Spiked Shield).

Since the pact Blade can be any Light Blade the Spiked Shield counts. Since it has a weapon enchant and not a shield one it doesn't take up your magic Arms slot. It is a light shield so you can hold another item in you same hand like a +1 Rod of Corruption. I don't even have the shield prof yet but cursed enemies that attack me take 2 pts extra damage. It also combines nicely wit Tyrannical Threat so that cursed enemies that attack you take even more damage.

So, after looking through the newest material, I had the following ideas.

Eldritch Strike for our at-will removes the need for a Melee Training feat. This power will likely the bread and butter of most, if not all Hexhammers from now on.

White Lotus Riposte & Master Riposte make staying in melee with a defender buddy that much more survivable. By Paragon, if our target attacks us, it eats another Eldritch Strike for doing so.

Bravo Multiclass and Academy Master PP mean that twice per encounter, we have an "empowered" Eldritch Strike -- Death's Messenger adds the Rattling keyword, Learned Boost the Reliable keyword. Both add +2[W] by 11th level. The Headmaster Daily, Master's Surge, also empowers one Encounter power by 2 dice, and prolongs an imposed status effect to "Safe Ends", without expending it. The daily Bravo power, Bravo's Finish, is Reliable, and scales from +2[W] & Dazed (Safe Ends) to +3[W] & Dazed (Safe Ends) at 15 and +3[W] & Stunned until the end of your next turn, aftereffect Dazed (Safe Ends).

Arcane Implement Mastery enables us to use heavy blades for our implement. We can burn a feat for Fullblade, or take either the Gritty Sergeant background OR Goliath Greatweapon Prowess for proficiency with the Greatsword. The latter is especially nice because of the +2/+3/+4 to damage. The enchantment of choice is Bloodclaw, obviously.

Prime Punisher & Called Shot give us +1 to hit and +5 to damage against any enemy we are closest to.

For ED, Storm Sovereign is nice in combination with Echoes of Thunder, adding an untyped +3 bonus to damage with all our powers.

Warding Curse is a great boost to defense, especially if we made it all the way to Plate. Add Bloodiron armor and a Shadow Band ring for permanent concealment, and we could make an Avenger green with envy.

Lastly, Quickened Spellcasting for Eldritch Strike adds actual nova potential.

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 08:57:03 AM »
Quote from: borris_bear
New Boosts to the Hexhammer in Arcane Power and the new Miniatures!

Eldritch Strike is AMAZING. http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1179472. First off you do need some kind of house rules to use it, but it seems likely its supposed to be a replacement to Eldritch Blast. If it isnt a house rule then use Combat Training to make Con your attack and save points on strength.
Eldritch Strike counts as a Basic Melee Attack. Eldritch strike also gives you a slide action, which is great in general for all sorts of things. Unfortunately it does not count for extra con damage from Iron Vanguard. With Bracers of Mighty Striking, Basic Melee Attacks get +2 damage, which stack with eldritch strike effects!
With Dwarven Weapon Training and the Bracers, you are looking at...
3d6+11 Damage Basic attacks that also slide 1 at level 8, with the option to boost them +5 (con) once an encounter.
2d6 Mord, 1d6 Curse, +5 Con, +2 Pact Hammer, +2 Training, +2 Bracers

For MultiClassing into Fighter, take the Multi Feat that gives you a free attack against anyone who attacks you or an ally. Its a solid chunk of damage, and gives you a good chance to get your warlock curse in if you missed with an earlier attack that round.

Rune Scribed Soul. Another reason to Pump con. Its a bonus to hit and Con damage to arcane attacks (eldritch strike!) until end of current turn. This can be exploited with an action point or some way of gaining multiple attacks.

Some of the new Warlock powers are great for Hexhammers. One of the new ones is a interrupt when an ally gets hit that gives you Con x 2 Temporary Hit Points per encounter.

Also this combo becomes even more brutal at Paragon. Eldritch Strike is an arcane attack. Arcane Admixture adds an element to an arcane power.

First off you do need some kind of house rules to use it, but it seems likely its supposed to be a replacement to Eldritch Blast. If it isnt a house rule then be a human to get it as an At-Will. You can also use Combat Training to make Con your attack and save points on strength.

With Arcane Admixture, your Eldritch Strikes can become cold, which means you can use Pact Hammers and benefit from all the abilities of Wintertouched! Thats 5 free damage and CA basically forever!

Level 11 Snapshot
Eldritch Strike Basics
+16 (+18) to hit. On hit causes Combat Advantage and Vulnerability 5 Cold
4d6 + 12(17) and free slide 1.
2d6 Mord + 2d6 Curse + 2 DWF + 3 Echantment + 2 Bracers + 5 Con + 5 Cold Vulnerability
Each time a cursed enemy dies you gain 11 THP, and if you kill them yourself you gain 5 hit points from Iron Vanguard.
During tough fights you can use your second wind (Rune Scribed Soul as a Minor Action) to gain +1 hit and +5 to damage, then use an AP to benefit from it for two attacks.
If you miss with Eldritch Strike, you can use Battle Awareness to get a second swing in to benefit from Warlocks Curse. If you miss you deal Con damage (Rythm)

Dwarf, Warlock, Iron Vanguard
Eldritch Strike (Constitution)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 15, Con 21, Dex 11, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 11, Cha 8.

AC: 26 Fort: 22 Reflex: 22 Will: 20
HP: 83 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 20

TRAINED SKILLS
Thievery +9, Insight +12, Perception +12 (Background), Arcana +14, Endurance +16

FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 2: Wintertouched
Level 4: Armor Proficiency (Chainmail) or Rune Scribed Soul
Level 6: Battle Awareness
Level 8: Weapon Expertise (Hammer)
Level 10: Saved
Level 11: Arcane Admixture + Lasting Frost or Hammer Rhythm

POWERS
Warlock utility 2: Fiendish Resilience
Warlock encounter 3: Fortune Binding
Warlock daily 5: Tyrannical Threat / Tyranny of Flame
Warlock utility 6: Dark One's Own Luck
Warlock encounter 7: Mordant Rains of Dis
Warlock daily 9: Feast of Souls
Warlock utility 10: Etheral Sidestep

ITEMS
Pact Hammer Mordenkrad +3, Summoned Braidmail Armor +3, Periapt of Cascading Health +2, Bracers of Mighty Striking (heroic tier), Quickcurse Rod +1, Circlet of Second Chances (heroic tier)

Heed my command, o thread of yore! Arise! ARISE! Mwahahahahaha!

Er. *cough* Sorry about that. A bit of wanton necromancy on my part there. :D

Anyway. The CB update is out, and while fiddling with some of the new stuff I saw that I had an unfinished build sitting around for a new incarnation of the melee 'lock: the Hexblade.

The build is summed up relatively quickly: Goliath Infernalock delivering powerful Eldritch Strikes. Various feat combos are thrown on top of this to further up melee survivability and/or damage. Also, Salve of Power shenannigans. ;)

The Basics

The skeleton of the Hexblade is the racial choice of Goliath. While this choice would at first glance lend itself to a 'classical' STR/CON Infernalock Hex-build due to the racial boni, the Hexblade goes for CON/INT instead. In fact, the Hexblade goes for a 20 in CON after racial, because that's the crux of his powers and the source of his melee prowess. A measly starting INT of 12, pushed at every opportunity, is more than enough to satisfy all feat requirements the Hexblade is expected to meet, and provides enough extra oomph for Warlock power riders.

An important caveat remains that the choice of Eldritch Strike instead of Eldritch Blast is, at this point, a houserule. A commonsensical one, but nonetheless, not legal by a strict reading of the rules.

Heroic Tier build progression

Heroic tier is spent building the basics of future exploits. The Hexblade starts as a 'steel cannon' -- a tough striker equally at home in ranged and melee combat. Armor Proficiency (Chainmail) at first level boosts AC, our main melee defense. At second level, Arcane Implement Proficiency (Heavy Blades) sets the theme for what is to come, though we do not yet have the proficiencies to back it up. That is remedied by 4th level, via Goliath Greatweapon Prowess. This feat -- the Goliath version of the Dwarven and Eladrin weapon feats -- gives the Hexblade proficiency with all simple and military two-handed weapons, which includes the Greatsword, Falchion and Glaive, and a damage boost of +2/+3/+4 (!) with these weapons. (This build focuses on the Greatsword, but with some finnagling a Glaive build seems promising as well.) We round out the ensemble by picking up Focused Expertise (Greatsword), which saves us a feat from not having to pick up a Weapon and an Implement Expertise. Eighth level gives us White Lotus Riposte, so that from now on anyone who attacks us after we at-willed them during our turn takes our CON modifier in damage -- and autodamage is always a nice way of deterring would-be attackers. On reaching level 10, Arcane Initiate sets us up for our Paragon Path choice at 11. The choice of a Wizard at-will to use as an encounter power isn't easy, but we'll use Storm Pillar, since we don't have the INT to really hit with the others.

During Heroic Tier, the Hexblade also makes a point of picking up Tyrannical Threat as his Daily at level five, which he will never let go. With Salves of power becoming available later on, he will recycle it so as to have it available in every encounter. While the damage is paltry, it is a Close Burst 3 attack vs. Will, which hits only enemies and curses them, hit or (since we're Infernal) miss. Also, every enemy thus cursed takes damage equal to the Hexblade's INT modifier whenever they attack us for the rest of the encounter -- which isn't much, but with White Lotus Riposte, it can add up.

Paragon Tier

The Paragon Path of choice -- and the reason for the Wizard MC feat at level 10 -- is Simbarch of Aglarond. The features enhance the Hexblade's already formidable survivability (for a striker, anyway) by adding more and better healing surges, which are also handy for the Salve of Power recycling scheme. The powers are the cherry on top of that: Silver Fire is an INT+8 (!) encounter attack vs. Reflex (!) that allows the Hexblade to add his level to damage every time he hits the original target. This makes for an incredible damage potential against solos and elites. The utility is fine for helping out an ally, because most of the time the Hexblade should have a surge to spare. The daily, however, is rotten dung scraped from the underside of a troll's toenail, and will probably never see play.

The Feat progression continues at 11 with Prime Punisher, giving the Hexblade all and any Prime Shot boni for melee attacks when duking it out Queensbury style, ie, without an ally's help. This is superb and makes the next level's choice obvious: Called Shot, for +5 to damage against our Prime Shot/Punisher target. At 14, as an upgrade from Chain, the Hexblade now dons Scale armor via the Armor Proficiency feat.
The feats from 16, 18 and 20 are up for grabs, but for fun and profit, I suggest White Lotus Master Riposte to really make those counterattacks hurt; Unyielding Stone so as to ensure Temp HP are at hand at all times, even in solo fights; Relentless Curse so as to spread the infernal love around that much quicker. Alternatively, you might want to consider powerswapping for the Wizard utility Blur, the bane of ranged attackers everywhere.

Epic Tier

The Hexblade's Epic Destiny isn't set in stone: Demigod is as strong a contender as ever. Prison of the Wind and Storm Sovereign both provide the much-wanted +2 boost to CON so that the Hexblade may reach 30 in his main stat, though the latter has perhaps the more interesting features. (It also makes Echoes of Thunder a strong contender for the 20th level feat, for another +3 to damage across the board.)

The list of Epic tier Feats begins with a must: Student of the Athanaeum effectively makes a Daily available a second time per day. Minions of Malbolge is a good choice to benefit from this, but you can always use it on Tyrannical Threat if you run low on surges. Warding Curse at 22 adds +2 to all defenses against Cursed enemies, adding even more to the appeal of Tyrannical Threat and Relentless Curse. Armor Specialization (Scale) is a given, though it comes late. Quickened Spellcasting means the Hexblade can dish out a doubled-up Eldritch Strike once per encounter, preferably after Silver Flame has hit. The last two slots go to the defense feats: Epic Will at 28, and Robust Defenses at 30.

Equipment

The Weapon of choice and necessity is a Greatsword, because it falls under the Goliath's weapon feat. The question of which Enhancement to go for never really comes up: Bloodclaw is that good. For armor, scale opens the option of Bloodiron, for a +2 AC bonus against enemies attacked during the Hexblade's turn. Iron Armbands of Power and Gauntlets of Destruction are a staple of most melee builds, and the Hexblade is no different in this. The rest is open for grabs, though a Brooch of Vitality helps to push HP above 200, and a Stalwart Belt rewards crits (all too few because Mastery feats are out of reach) with Temp HP equal to (CON mod)*3. Some teleport-boosting items can help empower Etheral Sidestep. Lastly, items with defense boni are always good.

The CB block for those interested

Maveith, level 30
Goliath, Warlock, Simbarch of Aglarond, Storm Sovereign
Arcane Implement Proficiency: Arcane Implement Proficiency (heavy blade group)
Quickened Spellcasting: Eldritch Strike

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 15, Con 30, Dex 15, Int 20, Wis 12, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 18, Dex 13, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 8.

AC: 45 Fort: 43 Reflex: 41 Will: 42
HP: 207 Surges: 18 Surge Value: 51

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +20, Bluff +20, History +25, Arcana +25

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +17, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +16, Endurance +25, Heal +16, Insight +16, Nature +18, Perception +16, Religion +20, Stealth +17, Streetwise +15, Thievery +17, Athletics +19

FEATS
Level 2: Arcane Implement Proficiency
Level 4: Goliath Greatweapon Prowess
Level 6: Focused Expertise (Greatsword)
Level 8: White Lotus Riposte
Level 10: Arcane Initiate
Level 11: Prime Punisher
Level 12: Called Shot
Level 14: Armor Proficiency (Scale)
Level 16: White Lotus Master Riposte
Level 18: Unyielding Stone
Level 20: Relentless Curse
Level 21: Student of the Athanaeum
Level 22: Warding Curse
Level 24: Armor Specialization (Scale)
Level 26: Quickened Spellcasting
Level 28: Epic Will
Level 30: Robust Defenses

POWERS
Arcane Initiate: Storm Pillar
Power User Choice: Eldritch Strike
Warlock daily 15: Caution of Dispater (replaces Feast of Souls)
Warlock daily 19: Minions of Malbolge (replaces Armor of Agathys)
Warlock daily 25: Tartarean Tomb (replaces Caution of Dispater)
Warlock daily 29: Forbiddance of the Ninth (replaces Tartarean Tomb)
Warlock daily 5: Tyrannical Threat
Warlock daily 9: Feast of Souls
Warlock encounter 13: Skirmisher's Volley (replaces Vampiric Embrace)
Warlock encounter 17: Life Force Reclaimed (replaces Cloud of Flies)
Warlock encounter 23: Spiteful Darts (replaces Howl of Doom)
Warlock encounter 27: Zutwa's Incandescence (replaces Skirmisher's Volley)
Warlock encounter 3: Cloud of Flies
Warlock encounter 7: Howl of Doom
Warlock utility 16: Hero's Defense
Warlock utility 2: Ethereal Stride
Warlock utility 22: Walk of the Kantakaran
Warlock utility 6: Life Siphon

ITEMS
Bloodclaw Greatsword +6, Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier), Gauntlets of Destruction (paragon tier), Brooch of Vitality +6, Shadow Band (epic tier), Nullifying Ring (epic tier), Backtrack Bindings (epic tier), Eye of Awareness (epic tier), Bloodiron Elderscale Armor +6, Stalwart Belt (epic tier)

Nova turn (need some help with the DPR math)

Minor: Warlock's Curse
Standard: Silver Fire
Minor: Quickened Eldritch Strike
AP: Eldritch Strike

Silver Fire
Using a Bloodclaw Greatsword +6
Attack: +37 vs Reflex (5 INT, 8 power, 15 level, 6 enhancement, 3 expertise)
Damage: 1d6+15 Thunder damage (5 INT, 6 enhancement, 4 Goliath Greatweapon Prowess feat, damage type added by Storm Sovereign)

Eldritch Strike x2
Using a Bloodclaw Greatsword +6
Attack: +37 vs AC (10 CON, 15 level, 3 proficiency, 6 enhancement, 3 expertise)
Damage: 2d10+3d6+67 Thunder damage (10 con, 6 enhancement, 6 IAoP, 4 Goliath Greatweapon Prowess feat, +3 Echoes of Thunder, +5 Called Shot, +18 Bloodclaw, +15 level via Silver Fire, +3d6 Warlock's Curse, reroll any 1s from Gauntlets of Destruction)

I have no idea how to calculate DPR from this though. Can anyone lend a hand? :D

So much for my latest exploits in the Hexlands. :D Comments, anyone? (Help on the DPR would be much appreciated!)

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 09:10:32 AM »
The following character might be the toughest and most brutal character I've seen. An important note, he's not the highest DPR ever but this character can wade into melee, offering control and defender, while dealing very powerful and sustainable melee damage. Seriously in melee this guy is unkillable.

*Editted for some tweaks. Sorry Hybrids still confuse me. Mistake with Infernal Pact and Combat Superiority.*
Snapshot of Level 11

Ok at his Core is Eldritch Strike. With a +3 Pacthammer
+17 to hit with Strike, +13 with fighter powers, +14 with Spells
4d6+15 on a hit, 2d6+6 on a miss (Hammer Rhyme) and slide target 1 square.
On Boss Fights with Armor of Agathys and Rain of Steel he also does 3d6+6 auto damage to anyone starting next to him.
So on his turn he will automatically do 5d6+12 damage, even if all attacks miss.

Survivability

Interrupt Ally is Hit (E): Gain 12 THP and +2 to hit next attack.
Interrupt on taking damage (E): Reduce damage by 11.
***ALL MELEE HITS GIVE HIM 9 THP***
Vampiric Embrace (E): Damage and 8 THP.
Iron Vanguard: Kill someone gain 6 Health.
Second Wind (Minor Action) Gain Surgex2, +2 to defenses, +1 to hit, and +6 to damage.
Also, and why not, HE CAN TELEPORT 3 SPACES

Things to Do at Paragon
Twofold Pact for Infernal Pact for more survivability.
Arcane Admixture to Eldritch Strike for cold then Wintertouched Combo.
Arcane Familiar - Disembodied Hand to allow what I'd call "Rod Juggling", then Dual Implement

level 11
Dwarf, Fighter|Warlock, Iron Vanguard
Hybrid Warlock: Hybrid Warlock Will

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 15, Con 22, Dex 11, Int 17, Wis 13, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 17, Dex 10, Int 15, Wis 10, Cha 8.

AC: 26 Fort: 24 Reflex: 20 Will: 19
HP: 85 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 21

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +18, Thievery +10, Perception +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Arcana +8, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +8, Heal +6, History +8, Insight +6, Intimidate +4, Nature +6, Religion +8, Stealth +5, Streetwise +4, Athletics +7

FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 2: Rune-Scribed Soul
Level 4: Weapon Expertise (Hammer)
Level 6: Hybrid Talent (Battlerage Vigor)
Level 8: Chainmail Proficiency
Level 10: Stoneblood
Level 11: Hammer Rhythm

POWERS
Hybrid Fighter at-will 1: Brash Strike
Hybrid Warlock at-will 1: Eldritch Strike
Hybrid daily 1: Armor of Agathys
Hybrid daily 5: Rain of Steel
Hybrid daily 9: Feast of Souls
Hybrid encounter 1: Vampiric Embrace
Hybrid encounter 3: Rain of Blows
Hybrid encounter 7: Come and Get It
Hybrid utility 10: Life Siphon
Hybrid utility 2: Ethereal Stride
Hybrid utility 6: Unbreakable

ITEMS
Pact Hammer Mordenkrad +3, Braidsteel +3, Cloak of the Walking Wounded +2, Bracers of Mighty Striking (heroic tier)

Quote from: ChristopherGroves

Hey, bumping this thread for an update.

Hexhammer works well with Dwarves; this we know.  The Battle-Pact Rod (AV2) can be used as a mace, opening up or improving other builds more easily (such as the Hexforged) whereas before they had to shoe-horn a bit.  Hammer Rythm love on a single implement for all ...

Quote from: phlux
Hello All,

I took a stab at a revamped Hexhammer. I tried to stay along the same lines as the original post. Here are the main changes that were made;
1) WIS was reduced to 11 and remaining points were put into INT.
2) This build is a little more AE centric than the prior as I did not go after the lasting frost/winterstouched line of feats - though it is still feasable.
3) No Toughness early on.

Main thing is to get a pact hammer ASAP. Let me know what you think.

Ivan, level 12
Dwarf, Warlock, Iron Vanguard

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 19, Con 21, Dex 11, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

AC: 23 Fort: 21 Reflex: 19 Will: 19 (No Magic Items)
HP: 88 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 22

TRAINED SKILLS
Thievery +11, Insight +13, Arcana +13, Religion +13, Athletics +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +6, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +13, Heal +8, History +8, Intimidate +5, Nature +8, Perception +8, Stealth +6, Streetwise +5

FEATS
Level 2: Focused Expertise (Warhammer)
Level 4: Armor Proficiency (Scale)
Level 6: Battle Awareness
Level 8: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 10: Acolyte Power / Toughness / Retrain @11 for dwarven durability
Level 11: War Wizardry
Level 12: Hammer Rhythm

POWERS
Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Strike
At-Will: Hellish Rebuke
Warlock utility 2: Fiendish Resilience
Warlock encounter 3: Fiery Bolt (or Otherwind Stride for Mobility - not a lot of damage)
Warlock daily 5: Avernian Eruption
Warlock utility 6: Fey Switch
Warlock daily 9: Vestige of Shax
Warlock utility 10: Darkest Mirror

Quote from: sirapropos
With respect given to Borris_bear for his Academy Master build, Theziner for his teleporting build and the Barbarian San Diego Super Charger build for all the charge combos I've been working on a build using the Fireforged Champion paragon path from D383 and the Forgeborn Heritage feat instead of doing an MC build.

This build offers great defense, good mobility, controllerish powers if needed and also very decent DPR for a Warlock but obviously doesn't come near the higher DPR builds like Ranger and Rogues.

There may be a few errors since this Paragon path isn't in the Character Builder yet but it should be very close.

It uses an Avalanche Hammer for a Main Weapon and the Pact Blade Spiked Shield for Implement powers.

***BASIC BREAKDOWN***
Eldritch Strike Hammer Charger
Hit: +19 (+6 Lvl, +5 Con, +3 Enhance, +1 Charge, +2 Prof, +1 Prime Shot, +1 Rune)
Damage: 2d10+5d6+30 (2d10 Warhammer, +2d6 Curse, +2d6 Gloves, +1d6 Helm, +5 Con, +2 Feat, +3 Enhance, +5 Called Shot, +4 Bracers, +6 Elemental Legacy, +5 Rune)
Crit: 80+3d10 + prone

POWER ROUND
Assume the target was Cursed in a previous round.
Minor Action: Second Wind for Rune Scribed Soul and Pierced Heart Tattoo (+2 Damage)

Move Action: Etheral Sidestep 3 Squares to get into Charge range and activate Cloak of Translocation for Defense.

Standard Action: Charge target and Eldritch Strike for 2d10+5d6+32 (+2 for Tattoo) and Slide the target 2 Squares (Rushing Cleats) if possible adjacent to other enemies that don’t impede another charge.

Action Point: Charge the target again and Eldritch Strike at +20 to Hit for 2d10+1d6+25 (Chessenta Background) You lose the Elemental Legacy and Tattoo damage but get +1 hit/damage from Background. Also any adjacent enemies take 10 fire damage from Scorching Action.

Level 12 Snapshot
Dwarf, Warlock, Fireforged Champion
Build: Scourge Warlock
Background: Chessenta (FR)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 19, Con 21, Dex 11, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

AC: 28 Fort: 23 Reflex: 21 Will: 21
HP: 88 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 22
Resist: Acid 3, Cold 3, Lightning 3, Fire 9

TRAINED SKILLS
Streetwise +10, Insight +13, Thievery +10, Arcana +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +12, Heal +8, History +8, Intimidate +5, Nature +8, Perception +8, Religion +8, Stealth +5, Athletics +9

FEATS
Level 2: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 4: Rune-Scribed Soul
Level 6: Forgeborn Heritage
Level 8: Called Shot (was Focused Expertise retrained at lvl 12)
Level 10: White Lotus Riposte
Level 11: Hammer Rhythm
Level 12: Prime Punisher

POWERS
Warlock utility 2: Ethereal Stride
Warlock encounter 3: Fiery Bolt
Warlock daily 5: Tyrannical Threat
Warlock utility 6: Life Siphon
Warlock daily 9: Ooze Incarnate
Fireforged Champion encounter 11: Forge Strike
Fireforged Champion utility 12: Burning Recollection (Auto 20 on a Death Save)

ITEMS
Avalanche Hammer Warhammer +3, Pact Blade Spiked Shield +3, Rod of Corruption +1, Eladrin Braidmail Armor +3, Cloak of Translocation +2, Bracers of Mighty Striking (paragon tier), Gloves of Eldritch Admixture (heroic tier), Horned Helm (heroic tier), Rushing Cleats, Pierced Heart Tattoo

Further Planning

Level 13: Replace Vampiric Embrace with Killing Flames

Level 14: Bump Str and Con, Feat: Iron Hide Resilience (Increases Resistance to 10, Fire to 17)

With the new Teleport Ruling in the latest January update that pretty much confirms you can teleport vertically, but they get a save to avoid it, it would also be hilarious to take the Flitting Shadows feat to try and Teleport your enemies 6 squares up for 3d10 falling damage instead of the 2d6 from the curse. It would require using the Bravo set of MC feats so you could make Eldritch Strike an Encounter or Daily power with more punch and I may consider that for the later Paragon levels as well.

Quote from: oldnamelost

Actually, hybriding could give a very solid application of the new PP.

Swordmage|Warlock MC Fighter would allow you to mark like a swordmage (seriously, their hybrid is too good).  While the guy is marked you attack with Eldritch Strike, potentially use a polearm for the attack so you can slide 2 (staggering weapon, rushing cleats), drop them on their butt (polearm momentum), shift 1 closer (move) and then laugh at them as a free action as they stand up and are unable to attack you, and charging one of your comrades is nigh useless (they attack at a penalty to hit AND damage, and suck damage).  It's like a stun rider for soldiers and brutes.

Oh, and you can use said polearm as an implement, and don't draw OA's from ranged powers with said implement.  With all the slide options available to Warlocks, this could be lots of fun.

Curse strike also offers an interesting mini-nova, since it reads as 2d6 extra damage, which you can stack curse damage on top of.

AP: Curse strike, Eldritch strike (using a glaive): 2d4 (weapon) + Strength+[Con+5] (AP rider) + other boosts, followed by 2d4 (weapon) + Con + 2d6 (curse) + [Con+5] (AP rider) + other boosts.

Oh, and if you have the target marked with assaulting aegis for all this, it REALLY doesn't want to attack someone else.

Now, consider a bloodied dragonborn with Io's Curse and Draconic arrogance, and you can stack Str*2+1 damage onto each of those attacks.  Plus, next round, you can repeat the Eldritch strike half, and if you've got a warlord in your party...  it just gets that much better.

Granted, swordmage powers in the above assumption are going to royally suck, but you can't have everything.  Besides, it has already been established that this sort of gish only needs one power.

A sample build at level 14 for the above concept (although I went with shielding aegis).

Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 14
Revenant, Warlock|Swordmage
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): Infernal Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock: Hybrid Warlock Reflex
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid): Aegis of Assault
Choose your Race in Life: Dragonborn
Background: Amn, Wandering Mercenary (Wandering Mercenary Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 22, Dex 15, Int 11, Wis 15, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 16, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 8.

AC: 19 Fort: 23 Reflex: 20 Will: 20
HP: 100 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 25

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +13, Endurance +20, Athletics +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +9, Arcana +7, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +9, Heal +9, History +7, Insight +9, Nature +9, Perception +9, Religion +7, Stealth +9, Streetwise +6, Thievery +9

FEATS
Level 1: Allegiance to the Daughter
Level 2: Battle Awareness
Level 4: Curse of Io's Blood
Level 6: Focused Expertise (Glaive)
Level 8: White Lotus Riposte
Level 10: Glorious Victory
Level 11: Polearm Momentum
Level 12: Draconic Arrogance
Level 14: Fierce Vitality

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Sword Burst
Hybrid at-will 1: Eldritch Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Diabolic Grasp
Hybrid daily 1: Armor of Agathys
Hybrid utility 2: Channeling Shield
Hybrid encounter 3: Dimensional Vortex
Hybrid daily 5: Swordmage Shielding Fire
Hybrid utility 6: Life Siphon
Hybrid encounter 7: Howl of Doom
Hybrid daily 9: Feast of Souls
Hybrid utility 10: Ethereal Sidestep
Hybrid encounter 13: Killing Flames (replaces Diabolic Grasp)

====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

The best part about this build is that two of the encounter powers are interrupts, and the other is a blast 3, so you can eldritch strike all day.  Only two of the powers key off of Int, which is crap, as is AC, but again, you can't have everything.  This character plays like a suicidal striker who is already dead, so hitting the negatives isn't so bad.