Author Topic: Help! LF optimized gestalt build for low lvl adventure  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Ryshin

• Spellguard of Silverymoon
    • View Profile
Help! LF optimized gestalt build for low lvl adventure
« on: January 05, 2021, 10:02:56 AM »
Hi, i'm starting soon a 3.5 adventure, it will start at lv4 and finish around lv9 and we decided to play gestalt characters.
I can use all manuals, no multiclassing and no prc allowed, but i can use variants and substitution levels.
38 point buy for stats.
We are 3 players, the other 2 play a monk/druid and a (ranged)paladin/scout.

Considering these limitations what do you suggest for a fun and optimized gestalt character?

Thanks.
I didn't choose the min/max life, the min/max life chose me.

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Help! LF optimized gestalt build for low lvl adventure
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 01:49:33 PM »
Monk//Druid should be able to cover melee and versatile casting, while the Paladin//Scout should be able to cover ranged, and likely trapfinding/scouting/rogue stuff and/or social stuff depending on how he is built. The latter's details should tell you if there are still blank spots the party needs to cover.

Wizard//Factotum should be a good mix at that level range: INT-SAD, and towards the end of the campaign you should be able to use Cunning Surge to go nova with your spells. You can also easily cover rogue stuff and/or social stuff, depending on where the P//S may have weakspots.

Mystic Ranger (+Sword of the Arcane Order feat + Shooting Star ACF)//Factotum plays similar, but with full BAB and a few actual class features on the caster side.

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 07:19:52 AM »
Another option could be Wizard/Warblade; with Warblade focusing on Counters and Boosts while wielding a reach weapon.  Cast on your turn, smack with AoOs.  Keep a strike or two ready for when you want to save spells.

Offline Ryshin

• Spellguard of Silverymoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 03:30:58 PM »
Another option could be Wizard/Warblade; with Warblade focusing on Counters and Boosts while wielding a reach weapon.  Cast on your turn, smack with AoOs.  Keep a strike or two ready for when you want to save spells.

Wizard / warblade or wizard / crusader?
Because for AoO wouldn't be better crusader with thicket of blades?
What about bard with dragonfire inspiration and words of creation instead of wizard for more buffing?
I didn't choose the min/max life, the min/max life chose me.

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 03:05:55 PM »
Possible, but would take some feat investment with the multiclassing restrictions, as you only gain your 3rd stance at lvl8 from Crusader levels alone. Unlike maneuvers you also can't unlearn stances you learn a different one you qualify for.

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 05:56:01 AM »
I was considering the Warblade's bonus feats and Int based class features would let you focus on being a wizard first, the AoOs are just one part.  Besides, Iron Heart Surge cheese.
Crusader could be fine if you really want to focus more on AoOs.

What about bard with dragonfire inspiration and words of creation instead of wizard for more buffing?
Bard//Crusader has good synergy.