Author Topic: Masters of Fluff Arise!!! (I need help re-fluffing the Warlock)  (Read 3099 times)

Offline wotmaniac

• Legendary Member
  • Procrastinator in Chief
    • View Profile
I'm stuck .... again.

I'm helping someone put together a character; and while Warlock is the perfect mechanical fit, the fluff just isn't jiving.
CMage showed us that warlock can fit just fine with a fey background, and EjoThims gave us gave us a few; but none of it is resonating with me. 

I'm wanting to re-fluff warlock to fit a non-evil yuan-ti character (but genericizing for scalies is fine).
I can sorta imagine it in my head; but fuck me running if I can translate it in to anything resembling coherent for someone else.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of Fluff Arise!!! (I need help re-fluffing the Warlock)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 09:05:40 PM »
Make it based on pacts with the reptile gods?

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 09:07:46 PM »
Making a pact with Sertrous seems best.  In 4e at least, one of the warlock fluffs is making pact with elder evils after all.  I imagine all his stuff gains a serpentine flavor (Eldritch Blast?  I mean HYPER VIPER BEAAAAAAM!) and stuff like DR is a result of scales and other dark reptilian blessings.
Mudada.

Offline wotmaniac

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 02:00:06 AM »
You're the tits, bhu -- how did I miss that?

Okay, I'm thinking of simply basing it off the World Serpent ('cause, well, everything else is just a fractured piece of it).  Oh, but fuck dragons, 'cause they already got their own shit.

I'm gonna let this percolate a while, and come back when I have something resembling a concept.

Oh, and you're pretty alright too, Sol.

Offline Chrononaut

• Obtained MAX Gigify
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 06:04:04 PM »
Yuan-ti are one of the quintessential psionic races, right? You could refluff it into working to awaken latent powers. Eldritch blast is mind bullets (that can kill a yak at 500 yards) and so forth. You don't actually need the XPH or whatever the shorthand for psionic handbook is to do this either, in core without it they're all still SLAs.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 11:11:12 AM »
Actually, why keep pacts at all? You have a package of at-will powers, some minor resistances  and a laser. Any kind of  Outsider emulation should do the trick.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Arz

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • New season
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 02:14:29 PM »
Yuan-ti have tons of sp and a tendancy for mutations. So you are [cyclops] with a little more versatility. Maybe you have to sacrifice to your god to change invocations. If you are usign the psionic variants just change the invocations over to psionic equivalents if they seem legit.

Offline wotmaniac

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of Fluff Arise!!! (some PrC refluffing)
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 04:26:55 AM »
Y'all did so well the last time (i.e., hit the nail right on the head -- THANKS!) -- so I'm gonna try to go back to the well again ....

This time, though, it's gonna be a little more in depth.
Frankly, I'm horrible at the specific details when it comes to re-fluffing classes.  I know what it looks like in my head; but I just have no skill at articulating it to other people.
The PrC in question is War Weaver.

First, some obligatory exposition:
(click to show/hide)

So, here's kinda the concept I'm going for:

I'm thinking a kind of a Ferengi-styled "mastermind" type, who really enjoys the income potential of adventuring, but doesn't actually want to get his own hands dirty ..... so he views and uses the rest of the party as his tools for his own edification (of course, this is a "mutually beneficial" relationship).  Now, of course, in order for this type of arrangement to actually work out, I have to bring something to the table -- so I just focus my efforts on making everyone else better at their jobs.

Party Role would be that of face + buffer

For a "build", I want bard/war weaver.
I really like the abilities of the war weaver, and need some custom refluff so as to get past his bias.

Thanks.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 08:13:10 AM »
An emotional/magical symbiote, who grants abilities to others and feeds off their positive emotions (particularly gratitude and loyalty). The tapestry is the mechanism by which the exchange is carried out.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.