Author Topic: Interesting stuff in Pathfinder  (Read 371525 times)

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting stuff in Pathfinder
« Reply #960 on: April 29, 2017, 09:20:07 PM »
So in the Healers Handbook Druids get the Druidic Herbalism option as an alternative Nature Bond. It allows you to make herbal concoctions, which fuction like potions, and is effectively Brew Potion using exclusively the Druid Spell List.

But of note, starting at first level you can make a number of concoctions equal to your Wisdom modifier FOR FREE. The Druid even has the option to sell these concoctions as potions (with a side note of people maybe doubting they are actually potions). This is pretty damn potent at first level, for adventuring and gold.

Of course you are limited to how many potions you can make later on with a 1000gp daily cap, but wait, at 4th level the time to create potions is cut in half, and at 7th you can make one in a minute.

On top of that they can make their potions look like different potions, and can make concoctions above 3rd level, though those concoctions act as alchemist extracts (still decently potent for passing buffs around or other uses).

It is detailed on the pfsrd druid page HERE. I might be misreading somewhere here, but if not this is a really strong option, which given it is a trade out for Animal Companion you would expect something worthwhile.
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline Ice9

• Still frozen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: May 01, 2017, 05:43:45 PM »
Holy crap!  So, unlimited free potions of anything 3rd level and below? 
At 4th level it can even be from other class lists if you have access to it!

Somewhat odd thematically, but a Druid 7 with the Dreamed Secrets feat can make potions herbal concoctions of any Sor/Wiz spell.

Expect nerfs incoming, I would guess.

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: May 01, 2017, 11:17:18 PM »
Oh damn I missed that last line for 4th level. Normally PF tries to avoid letting other classes get in on other class goodies with direct multiclassing =P
A+

Offline Fadier

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Speak softly and carry a big stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: May 03, 2017, 11:44:30 PM »
I don't know how useful this is but according to the wording

... and she can create concoctions of spells from any spell list, as long as she can cast the spell.

If another class has a lower level version of a druid spell you could lower its level in the concoction.

e.g. Dispel Magic is a 4th level Druid spell but 3rd level for everyone else. You could make a 3rd level concoction of Dispel Magic with no shenanigans (if you are 7th level).

Edit

Has Pathfinder removed the limit of working on 1 magical item per day? If so that Wis/day free potions might misleading.

Edit Edit

Regardless of the time needed for construction, a caster can create no more than one magic item per day.

So the Wis/day free concoctions is false. You get 1 free concoction per day.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 11:57:33 PM by Fadier »
My gift back to the CO community, The Chameleon Handbook. Humans only.

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: May 04, 2017, 12:06:05 AM »
Specific rules would trump General rules in this case though wouldnt it?

The class feature states it can make a number of concoctions equal to Wis mod for free per day, so I would imagine that trumps the general of only crafting 1 magic item per day. It can probably be argued they cant craft any other magic items for the day after that though.
A+

Offline Fadier

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: May 05, 2017, 02:54:01 AM »

Probably but it's more likely that the writers did not know about the magic item per day limits. It's not a big deal really, its just more ineptitude on the writers part.

I wonder if they intend that when you can craft concoctions in 1 minute if you can spend the whole day making potions?
Lets say you are limited to 8 hours of crafting a day (as normal), 8*60 = 480 potions. Do you think that they thought it was fine to create 480 potions (7th level ability says this is free if its level 4+) a day?

That's pretty nuts.

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: May 05, 2017, 04:19:31 AM »

Probably but it's more likely that the writers did not know about the magic item per day limits. It's not a big deal really, its just more ineptitude on the writers part.

I wonder if they intend that when you can craft concoctions in 1 minute if you can spend the whole day making potions?
Lets say you are limited to 8 hours of crafting a day (as normal), 8*60 = 480 potions. Do you think that they thought it was fine to create 480 potions (7th level ability says this is free if its level 4+) a day?

That's pretty nuts.

Well it is crazy if/when you need a mass number of potions for whatever reason, but after those free potions the normal cost of crafting potions is expensive as hell =P
Id agree that they probably looked over the normal limit.
A+

Offline Fadier

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: May 05, 2017, 05:39:52 AM »

That's pretty nuts.

Well it is crazy if/when you need a mass number of potions for whatever reason, but after those free potions the normal cost of crafting potions is expensive as hell =P

Additionally, at 7th level, a druid can create any herbal concoction in 1 minute. She can also create a special concoction of any spell higher than 3rd level that she can cast, but to do so, she must expend a spell slot of the same level. These special concoctions do not cost her anything to create and function like extracts created by an alchemist with the infusion discovery.

Actually they cost nothing to create but somehow function as the infusion discovery

The infusion discovery limits you to "daily extract slots" which druids have none. So RAW this is a class ability you cannot use.

As a random guess this might be intended to take up spell slots, which gets weird once you start lowering the levels of the concoctions (as I posted before).

Do I need to state that Piazo sucks at DnD mechanics?

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: May 05, 2017, 07:04:31 PM »

That's pretty nuts.

Additionally, at 7th level, a druid can create any herbal concoction in 1 minute. She can also create a special concoction of any spell higher than 3rd level that she can cast, but to do so, she must expend a spell slot of the same level. These special concoctions do not cost her anything to create and function like extracts created by an alchemist with the infusion discovery.

Actually they cost nothing to create but somehow function as the infusion discovery

The infusion discovery limits you to "daily extract slots" which druids have none. So RAW this is a class ability you cannot use.

As a random guess this might be intended to take up spell slots, which gets weird once you start lowering the levels of the concoctions (as I posted before).

Do I need to state that Piazo sucks at DnD mechanics?

I was generally referring to the normal Herbal Concoctions (3rd or lower). The "Special" Herbal Concoctions are different, though I do see where you are going with the wording on the Infusion Discovery. The class feature does say you expend a spell slot to create them, which seems to be by RAW count as the extract slot it occupies, but yeah by RAW it will disappear immediately if it has no extract slot to fill.

Really though there isn't many game developers on either Paizo, WotC, or most 3rd party that do d20 Mechanics well anyways. There is a lot of reading between the lines expected and general bad assumptions.
A+

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: May 13, 2017, 01:46:10 AM »
Bestiary 6 has the return of the were-bug template, Entothrope.

You can now play a were-starfish
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: July 05, 2017, 05:43:18 AM »
A couple things from Legacy of the First World

(click to show/hide)

From First World Realm of the Fey

(click to show/hide)

From Adventurer's Armory 2...
(click to show/hide)

From Adventurer's Guide

(click to show/hide)

Aquatic Adventures

(click to show/hide)

Healers Handbook
(click to show/hide)

Haunted Heroes Handbook

(click to show/hide)

Heroes of the High Court

(click to show/hide)

Heroes of the Darklands

(click to show/hide)

Horror Realms

(click to show/hide)

Paths of the Righteous has an amazing prestige class, the Stargazer
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: July 08, 2017, 03:01:09 PM »
A bunch of the story feats are really interesting.

Want to make constructs but don't want to spend a ton of feats on it? Protector Of The People gives you Craft Construct without meeting its prerequisites, but you have to build a CR 5+ golem for someone else, first. The cheapest I've found are the rope (7200 gp), tallow (6750 gp), and wood (8800 gp) golems, depending on which sets of books are in play (rope and tallow are 3rd party, but wood is from a Paizo book). As an extra bonus, you get a 10% discount on making constructs cheaper than your first, donated golem.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 03:04:12 PM by Garryl »

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: July 10, 2017, 09:57:41 PM »
LG Paladin of Asmodeus? Here you go...

Quote from: Distant Stores
Pact Servant (Faith): The faith of Holomog focuses on
finding the good in unusual places and appreciating the
nuances of virtue in the world. You may treat Asmodeus
as if he were a lawful neutral deity for the purposes of
determining your own alignment as a cleric, inquisitor, or
other divine spellcaster. You may not select the evil domain
unless your own alignment also contains an evil aspect.
- All Spells
- playground

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: July 11, 2017, 12:07:30 AM »
LG Paladin of Asmodeus? Here you go...

Quote from: Distant Stores
Pact Servant (Faith): The faith of Holomog focuses on
finding the good in unusual places and appreciating the
nuances of virtue in the world. You may treat Asmodeus
as if he were a lawful neutral deity for the purposes of
determining your own alignment as a cleric, inquisitor, or
other divine spellcaster. You may not select the evil domain
unless your own alignment also contains an evil aspect.

Adapt for the Burning Hate.
A+

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: July 11, 2017, 10:51:46 PM »
 :cool
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Powerdork

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #975 on: July 15, 2017, 09:21:40 AM »
Has Pathfinder removed the limit of working on 1 magical item per day? If so that Wis/day free potions might misleading.

Edit Edit

Regardless of the time needed for construction, a caster can create no more than one magic item per day.

So the Wis/day free concoctions is false. You get 1 free concoction per day.

No, you've just got to take 10 levels of witch on the side for Witch's Brew, the major hex that lets you pay brew potions in double or triple batches. (And have a lenient enough GM.)

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: September 21, 2017, 02:15:51 AM »
AP55
BESMARAN FAMILIARS
A cleric of Besmara may give up one domain in exchange
for a bird, blue-ringed octopus (Ultimate Magic 117), king
crab (Ultimate Magic 119), monkey, or any of the familiars
presented in the Core Rulebook. The cleric uses her cleric
level as her effective wizard level for this purpose. A ranger
who worships Besmara may select any of the creatures
listed above as a familiar instead of choosing an animal
companion. The ranger’s effective wizard level for this
ability is equal to his ranger level – 3.

Infinite $$$ combo
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 02:48:50 AM by zook1shoe »
- All Spells
- playground

Offline TiaC

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Is this to be?
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: October 22, 2017, 02:36:40 AM »
So I was just looking over DSP's Vitalist and I found a nice combo. At 11th level, a Vitalist with the Soulthief method gets this ability: "any time a soulthief manifests a power or psi-like ability that deals hit point damage, it heals him for 50% of the damage dealt. If the power does hit point damage to multiple targets, the soulthief only heals 50% of the damage to the target dealt the highest damage."

Now, buy a Surge Crystal. This gives you a unimpressive wildsurge, but it also lets you use surge augments. Psionics Augmented: Wilders has the power Sympathetic Drain. This power allows you to up to half your max health to do that much damage to any target within close range. If you wildsurged while manifesting, the damage is doubled. It allows SR, and while there is a save, it doesn't reduce the damage, just prevents a 1-round sicken rider. Put these together, and you can spend 3PP to deal damage equal to your max health to any target within close range with no save. It's cheap enough that you can easily quicken it as well. Best of all, this costs so little, that you still have the amazing buffing and healing abilities of any other Vitalist.

For advanced mode, take the Sadist archetype and Unwilling Participant to add enemies to your collective and get temp PP for killing them. You might also be able to take Altered Life from Bloodforge to calculate HP based on Wisdom.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: October 22, 2017, 03:04:14 AM »
So I was just looking over DSP's Vitalist and I found a nice combo. At 11th level, a Vitalist with the Soulthief method gets this ability: "any time a soulthief manifests a power or psi-like ability that deals hit point damage, it heals him for 50% of the damage dealt. If the power does hit point damage to multiple targets, the soulthief only heals 50% of the damage to the target dealt the highest damage."

Now, buy a Surge Crystal. This gives you a unimpressive wildsurge, but it also lets you use surge augments. Psionics Augmented: Wilders has the power Sympathetic Drain. This power allows you to up to half your max health to do that much damage to any target within close range. If you wildsurged while manifesting, the damage is doubled. It allows SR, and while there is a save, it doesn't reduce the damage, just prevents a 1-round sicken rider. Put these together, and you can spend 3PP to deal damage equal to your max health to any target within close range with no save. It's cheap enough that you can easily quicken it as well. Best of all, this costs so little, that you still have the amazing buffing and healing abilities of any other Vitalist.

For advanced mode, take the Sadist archetype and Unwilling Participant to add enemies to your collective and get temp PP for killing them. You might also be able to take Altered Life from Bloodforge to calculate HP based on Wisdom.

Holy...

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: October 22, 2017, 03:55:11 PM »
Ha.
Psionics "is" Broken.

It's right for once.
No need for errata, people can't be that  fubar'd.

Methods to increase max health, just as an obvious improver ?
Your codpiece is a mimic.