Author Topic: OOC Chat - Sir Talksalot lives here  (Read 133832 times)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: OOC Chat - Sir Talksalot lives here
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2013, 02:03:39 PM »
... there were too many possible useful pieces of equipment and I panicked. x_x

Seriously, Dungeonscape is your friend. There's ALL kinds of useful stuff for any adventurer there. Other suggestions include a Winch Crossbow (Arms & Equipment Guide, 3.0), a Grappling Crossbow (Dungeonscape IIRC), various masterwork tools, a veritable host of poisons, alchemical items, mundane items... Greater Alchemist's Fire for you, would be seriously insanely awesome. As well as a Sprayer, so you can turn Oil into a 5' cone, then light it up.

I don't know if there's a lightweight storage solution under 1000gp, but it's possible that there is, and i just don't remember.

Fact that item choices make me panic aside and that short-ranged stuff is not good when even a dagger deals an average of 7 damage before modifiers to me: what possible use would greater alchemist's fire be? All fire I light deals 1d6 damage automatically. :huh

I'm still trying to decipher why WotC made all ranged ammo so damn heavy...

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2013, 02:32:43 PM »
get an icechucker and shot alchemist fires?
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline brujon

• Honorary Mod
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2013, 02:43:04 PM »
... there were too many possible useful pieces of equipment and I panicked. x_x

Seriously, Dungeonscape is your friend. There's ALL kinds of useful stuff for any adventurer there. Other suggestions include a Winch Crossbow (Arms & Equipment Guide, 3.0), a Grappling Crossbow (Dungeonscape IIRC), various masterwork tools, a veritable host of poisons, alchemical items, mundane items... Greater Alchemist's Fire for you, would be seriously insanely awesome. As well as a Sprayer, so you can turn Oil into a 5' cone, then light it up.

I don't know if there's a lightweight storage solution under 1000gp, but it's possible that there is, and i just don't remember.

Fact that item choices make me panic aside and that short-ranged stuff is not good when even a dagger deals an average of 7 damage before modifiers to me: what possible use would greater alchemist's fire be? All fire I light deals 1d6 damage automatically. :huh

I'm still trying to decipher why WotC made all ranged ammo so damn heavy...

EWP: Gnome Calculus, and now you can set fires with Greater Alchemist Fire (which has a blast radius). Since all fire you have caused gets ALL sorts of neat buffs, any way of causing big rampant fires is nice - Especially when you can do so from a big distance.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2013, 02:55:06 PM »
Aren't there special arrows that set fire to things they hit, too?  I want to say they're called Dragonsbreath Arrows, possibly from Races of the Wild.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2013, 03:43:37 PM »
Can't take EWP at level 1, unfortunately. Don't have full BAB.

Hum. Can't really mess with my remaining ability scores to get enough strength to carry anything, which is annoying.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2013, 04:10:25 PM »
How much does it cost to "buy" a spell for my prayerbook?  Can I pull from any Divine list?

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2013, 05:42:17 PM »
isnt the calculus the little scope for a crossbow in AE?
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2013, 08:56:46 PM »
So, in Scotland, should I leave everything except Glasgow and Paisley? Or take out everything except Edinburgh and Inverness?

And what should I do with Northern Ireland?

Offline brujon

• Honorary Mod
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2013, 11:19:24 PM »

No, Gnome Calculus is like an oversized sling you can throw Flasks with. Has a range increment of 50ft, compared to the 10ft range increment you have with normal thrown flasks - pretty good if you ask me.

@linklord - double normal cost, as they're going to be smuggled goods - stolen holy texts and the like.

@FireInTheSky - Ireland going to be all unmarked... It's uncharted territory, filled with dangerous monsters etc. - Scotland - Can you do something with this ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Scottish_clan_map.png - Like, mark general location of the clans, etc. No need to mark specific borders. - :D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 11:22:50 PM by brujon »
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2013, 04:00:23 AM »
@linklord - double normal cost, as they're going to be smuggled goods - stolen holy texts and the like.

What is the "normal cost"?  50gp x Spell Level (for copying it from another's spellbook) + 100gp per page (for writing it in my own), or the price of a scroll + 100gp per page, or the cost for researching the spell (1000gp/spell level), or the price of just buying a whole spellbook from someone else (100gp per page of spells), or something else?

And does the double cost only apply to spells not cast-able by a Cleric of the One True God, or to all spells? 

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2013, 10:05:16 AM »
Since we're first level and I'm probably never going to see the higher levels of Dread Champion it looks like I'm going to go with Spiked Chain shenanigans.   :smirk

Offline brujon

• Honorary Mod
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2013, 10:25:58 AM »

What is the "normal cost"?  50gp x Spell Level (for copying it from another's spellbook) + 100gp per page (for writing it in my own), or the price of a scroll + 100gp per page, or the cost for researching the spell (1000gp/spell level), or the price of just buying a whole spellbook from someone else (100gp per page of spells), or something else?

And does the double cost only apply to spells not cast-able by a Cleric of the One True God, or to all spells?

Price of a scroll X2, plus normal price of scribing a spell to your prayerbook - Only for spells not normally castable by a cleric. Exception: Domain spells (Since the clerics of the one true god have access to every domain - Except evil domains, like Evil, Destruction, Pestilence, Undeath, etc..), if the spell appears on a domain spell list, it's normal cost.

@Nanshork, i think this campaign has the potential to reach the higher levels, but it all depends on maintaining interest for long enough...

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2013, 10:43:48 AM »
At level 5 I would gain +5 feet of reach when wielding a two-handed non-reach weapon.  I'll just go ahead with spiked chain now and if/when we hit level 5 I'll see what happens.

Honestly once level 5 rolls around I'll probably end up carrying a bunch of different weapons, one thing I like about low magic campaigns is it makes that kind of character viable.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2013, 10:52:04 AM »
I hate odd numbers.

Offline brujon

• Honorary Mod
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2013, 10:54:27 AM »
At level 5 I would gain +5 feet of reach when wielding a two-handed non-reach weapon.  I'll just go ahead with spiked chain now and if/when we hit level 5 I'll see what happens.

Honestly once level 5 rolls around I'll probably end up carrying a bunch of different weapons, one thing I like about low magic campaigns is it makes that kind of character viable.

IMO, spiked chain is actually really fitting for Dread Champion... I imagine a guy, wielding a heavy spiked chain, wearing all black armor - turned red from the blood of his enemies - spinning the blade maniacally and shouting "WEAKLINGS! Come forth to the Slaughterhouse, i have not yet sated my bloodthirst!"

Like a Blend-Tec blender, SAW version.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2013, 11:01:38 AM »

IMO, spiked chain is actually really fitting for Dread Champion... I imagine a guy, wielding a heavy spiked chain, wearing all black armor - turned red from the blood of his enemies - spinning the blade maniacally and shouting "WEAKLINGS! Come forth to the Slaughterhouse, i have not yet sated my bloodthirst!"

Like a Blend-Tec blender, SAW version.

That sounds awesome.  I'll do my best to live up to your vision.   :smirk

I hate odd numbers.

Agreed, my two odd stats bother me.

Offline brujon

• Honorary Mod
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2013, 01:25:21 PM »
So, i just found out about http://ditzie.com/ - And i found this: https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20061121t

Both free tools, that i can use to create several (simple) maps for combat, when needed.

Ditizie allows me to manipulate the characters dynamically as the game progresses, and the Wizards tool allows me to more easily create dungeons/maps that are properly tiled with the standard 5ft/5ft squares.

Are you all comfortable with these as choices for combat maps and such? Or do you have a better suggestion as to what we can use?

If everyone's in favor of Ditizie, then i'd need 32x32 pixels images of your characters to use as "Pins" for the game.

Alternatively, you can choose to use one of these: http://beta.ditzie.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=391

Or any other appropriate avatars you find either on the Ditzie website or anywhere else, for that matter.

I'll try and find appropriate monster images to use when we face them.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 26, 2013, 01:30:47 PM »
I'll see what I can do once I've stopped being annoyed at my scores. :p

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 26, 2013, 01:54:12 PM »
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2013, 02:23:16 PM »

Best I can do.