Author Topic: Clearing up any confusion  (Read 14350 times)

Offline BG_Josh

• Retired Admin
    • View Profile
Clearing up any confusion
« on: December 12, 2011, 11:25:21 AM »
If you make an off topic post, it should be deleted.  Don't make off topic posts.

Hint: If anyone has any sort of issue with anything on the boards they would bring it up here on this board.  In fact, almost by defenition no one has a problem unless they bring it here.

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
Re: Clearing up any confusion
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 10:19:57 PM »
If I understand you, this post (however "off-topic" it might be in other threads) is legitimate:

almost by defenition no one has a problem unless they bring it here.

though I'm sure if its not sufficiently on-topic, it will be deleted. rofl (man, I shouldn't post this sleepy)

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 06:19:19 PM »

:D ... You mean like when they clarified which one was Josh ??

Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline BG_Josh

• Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 08:50:20 PM »

:D ... You mean like when they clarified which one was Josh ??

I'm behind baldy.

Offline BG_Meg

• BGalicious
  • Retired Admin
  • Keepin' bitches in line since 2009
    • View Profile
    • Games by Play Date
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 08:09:33 PM »
I'd like to challenge this rule.

I've always been ok with off topic. Conversations grow and evolve. It's more organic to let them meander the to strictly adhere to a "stay on topic" policy.

But I can see how it can get annoying for someone trying to really get a lot from a topic.

Could we adjust? The op should get to decide if topics should be split off or not. And by op I mean the person currently leading the conversation, so if a thread is resurrected, etc. but if a whole side conversation starts going (guilty  :blush) and the OP feels it's getting out of hand, they could request the off topic stuff to get moved.

Does that work?
I NEED YOUR HELP!

Back my game, please! And then tell 10 other people to back it. Finishes September 3rd!

PACK the PACK Kickstarter is LIVE!

Wanna chat? www.twitter.com/bg_meg

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 08:14:13 PM »

I've always been ok with off topic. Conversations grow and evolve. It's more organic to let them meander the to strictly adhere to a "stay on topic" policy.

But I can see how it can get annoying for someone trying to really get a lot from a topic.

Could we adjust? The op should get to decide if topics should be split off or not. And by op I mean the person currently leading the conversation, so if a thread is resurrected, etc. but if a whole side conversation starts going (guilty  :blush) and the OP feels it's getting out of hand, they could request the off topic stuff to get moved.

Does that work?

Seconding.
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 08:46:24 PM »

Does that work?

Seconding.
Thirding; this is also pretty much how it's always been done (minus the OP deciding whether a topic should be split off, which is a neat idea).
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline EjoThims

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 09:19:19 PM »

Does that work?

3.5thed

Cause I didn't wanna 4thed it. ;)

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 10:46:30 PM »

Does that work?

3.5thed

Cause I didn't wanna 4thed it. ;)
I'll skipped to fifthed, then.  :smirk
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline BG_Josh

• Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 05:30:22 PM »
There is a huge difference between:

-posting something slightly off topic - "speaking of gobots I just watchedthe movie"
-posting something off topic - "transformers are better"
-the discussion evolving - "evil gobots are the best"
and
-posting to disrupt the thread - "I am the meta gobot master and you all meta suck"

Slightly Off topic And evolution are fine.  Don't do the other two.

It makes it impossible to have a discussion when someone is yelling in your face. 

I am in favor of any system where non contributors cant drown out the people who are trying to do something and have fun with it.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 11:01:37 PM »
They can't really ever drown out discussion because we can just split off whatever is off about it into a new discussion, unless they hog both threads.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 09:48:10 AM »
They can't really ever drown out discussion because we can just split off whatever is off about it into a new discussion, unless they hog both threads.
If we split it and they continue posting in the wrong thread, I'd say point them to it and move their post. If they keep doing it, then they get in trouble. That makes sense to me, at least.
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline EjoThims

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 08:01:20 AM »
If we split it and they continue posting in the wrong thread, I'd say point them to it and move their post. If they keep doing it, then they get in trouble. That makes sense to me, at least.

+1

Offline BG_Josh

• Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 01:35:59 PM »

In every case the poster would whine "this is on topic" or would do a sentence of two on topic.

So the rule needs to be something along the lines of:
-at least 3/4 on topic (in reality it should be 90-95% on topic)
-not simply repeating something (harping is agains the rules in any case)
-contains no material aimed at undermining the topic (any amount of this topic is stupid or you should do a DnD contest needs its own thread)

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 01:48:57 PM »
I'll skipped to fifthed, then.  :smirk
Sixth

+1
+2

In every case the poster would whine "this is on topic" or would do a sentence of two on topic.
I have to agree with you on this. In an ideal world, we would all be mature all the time, but this stuff does happen.

-posting something off topic - "transformers are better"
Slightly Off topic And evolution are fine.  Don't do the other two.
I disagree with this, there is nothing wrong with that on its own, it is when it goes on too long that there is a problem.

As I see it there are two problems with the off-topic.
1) When a thread about one thing becomes about two things.
2) Complete thread derailing.

I don't see why the solution Meg put forth couldn't work though.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline EjoThims

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 08:19:20 AM »

That's when "point them to it and move their post. If they keep doing it, then they get in trouble," as mentioned by Robby, would come into effect.

Offline BG_Josh

• Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 03:06:14 AM »
Looking for feedback.

As I expected, it happened.  Here is the thread

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2264.0

This is the post I erased

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2501.msg28485#msg28485

Here are the facts
It's a discussion on what the term gamer means
Soundwave presents his ideas.  Hes incorrect, but there's nothing wrong with that.
He simply repeats his "point" over and over and Does not listen to anyone and makes no attempt to learn why.

My personal take is a structural approach.  That's why the "no harping" rule exists.  It makes it so people are forced to make new points of reexamine old ones differently.  This would be a non issue, a natural solution.

So, what would you do?  Keep in mind the idea is to foster discussion. 

(note: Soundwave is wrong(period).  Its actually funny that in such an abstract topic he could manage to be so absolutely wrong.  That being said, if you think he is right.  Discuss that in the actual thread, not here.)

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 04:15:08 AM »
My only concern would be how it was implemented.  Using your above example I'm assuming it's well known the two of you disagree (at least to readers of said thread), but only one of you has the power to remove the others posts.  If used too often, that could cause you more harm than good, because you would be perceived (or at least possibly portrayed) by those who disagreed with you as being not such a nice person.  It could be used to cause more derailment than letting one person rant as it could be used to undermine you personally (or the mods), not just the topic of the thread. 

That being said I'm also a lil overly paranoid at times and maybe it won't cause you any problems at all.  But it is something you should consider.

Offline EjoThims

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2011, 05:21:10 PM »
Here are the facts
It's a discussion on what the term gamer means
Soundwave presents his ideas.  Hes incorrect, but there's nothing wrong with that.
He simply repeats his "point" over and over and Does not listen to anyone and makes no attempt to learn why.

I think a more appropriate response would have been to, in that thread, explicitly note that due to the repetition and lack of understanding on his part, you would no longer be acknowledging his points. If he then continued to harp on them continuously without contributing to furthering of the discussion or learning on his part, a simple note that further efforts would get the posts moved, possibly to the garbage.

While the second is implied (at least to someone who understands your style, even though I still do not personally like it), neither is directly stated, and you yourself are the one responding to him most frequently, giving the illusion that you are actually interested in his explanations, whether they be valid or not.

Offline Soundwave

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science, it works.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 03:27:15 AM »
Frankly the majority of comments made in that thread by josh amounted to little more then personal attacks, when called out on it he deleted my post.

Im not the only one who has an issue with it either but frankly if silencing people you dont agree with is acceptable behavior here i dont much see a point in posting on these boards period.

I find it odd that the person accusing others of anti intellectualism, delusions and stupidity is the same person behaving in such a manner.

There is a poster around these parts that follows this to a "T" so to speak, but it surely isnt me.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 03:34:00 AM by Soundwave »