Author Topic: OOC General  (Read 11353 times)

Offline Arccosecant

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: OOC General
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2019, 06:50:19 PM »
Yes, I do remember that. Actually meant to ask about that too: is that bonus supposed to scale based on total non-RHD levels, or only on the highest-leveled class?

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2019, 06:59:03 PM »
It scales based on character level. RHD and combined class levels both enter that sum.

Offline Arccosecant

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2019, 02:08:31 AM »
Hmm, on second thought, I might want to just stick with the vanilla options of Combat Manifestation as prerequisite and insight bonus for boost. Competence bonus on energy resistance does seem a tad strange.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2019, 02:21:06 AM »
That sounds a bit unfair, my character being forced to kill her own father already sounds like a pretty big failure. She deeply loved and trusted him, so seeing him go corrupted was pretty heart breaking on its own, killing him scarred her own soul, and she'll always blame herself for not finding a better solution other than taking him out with her own teeth. Plus mom could be "I'm not angry with you sweetie, just disapointed", and/or reduced to a shadow of her former self now that her beloved husband's gone, which may hurt my character even more than psycho mom out for revenge against her own daughter. Doubly so when everybody remembers dad as some horrible monster that only deserved death and they must both smile and nod when other people talk about it. Although thinking about it now mom descending into darkness/madness looking for a way to bring dad back does sound like an interesting plot point "we'll be one happy family again!" so my character has to keep an eye in her.
Dark Secrets are not about how much grief they may have caused in the past - they are about the present and future and especially what trouble they may get you in, typically by people who strongly disagree with your past actions. That makes dark secrets that have largely been resolved and have little risk of getting leaked not very good.

Mommy looking for a way to re-create one happy family again is a much better angle. There are plenty of crazy scientists with lightning rods, mediums, devils offering deals involving dolls and other unwholesome people one can run into on such a quest, all of them eager to help for a price.

Ok, I'm good with Mommy wanting to bring back daddy no matter how unholy the proccess would be. We can even set up a series where every week dear mother tries something even more horrifying. "Moooomm don't do dark pacts to bring dad back when other people are watching!"

Also since there already seems to be a tank and sneaky stabber, could I use the Yama prc that's connected to Fate of 60 Years to go full inquisitor?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 02:24:05 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2019, 07:20:55 AM »
Also since there already seems to be a tank and sneaky stabber, could I use the Yama prc that's connected to Fate of 60 Years to go full inquisitor?
Couple of mechanical problems:

1.) It re-introduces the banned Leadership feat through the backdoor. (I had previously OKed it for Strat's Commander class because it limits itself to a small number of Commoners and comes with very little active abilities of its own other than the Foci it grants its minions.) There would be some serious nerfbatting to do.

2.) It is strange that a PrC that prides itself on judging is clueless about Knowledge (local) with its topics of laws, customs, traditions :P

Fluffwise, there would be lots to do to fit Yama into the setting.
Devils in Krevborna are not part of the natural order - they are fallen angels who have rebelled against that order, and arisen again incorporally to corrupt and tempt humans into spiritual sins. There isn't much judging to do - a sinner's soul will fall down into the Chthonic Pits and reform into a new fiend on its own.
Feys also have a hierarchy of their own led by the Archfey (comparable to Archdevils in power) and their own different, game plan to harm humanity (bring down civilization and reduce mankind again to the state of the savage animal), so they would be extremely unlikely to end up as infernal thralls.

The easiest way of adapting this would be a celestial adaption. The angelic Silver Choir is tasked with forging divine weapons and goods (and would therefore be a logical source of rods and crystal mirrors), while on the worldly side the order of St. Vashtina is tasked with justice and judgement.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2019, 10:33:33 AM »
I'm going to officially drop out of this, you've got enough players for me to not feel bad.

Sorry.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2019, 11:26:07 PM »
Couple of mechanical problems:

1.) It re-introduces the banned Leadership feat through the backdoor. (I had previously OKed it for Strat's Commander class because it limits itself to a small number of Commoners and comes with very little active abilities of its own other than the Foci it grants its minions.) There would be some serious nerfbatting to do.
Fair enough, although I would argue it's already a nerfed version of Leadership since it's limited to a bunch of classes and races whitout any fullcaster option.

If that other class is limiting itself to commoners, I would be happy with just Oni, fairy and Shinigami commoners for the Yama's Ministry of What's Right and what's Wrong. How does that sound?

2.) It is strange that a PrC that prides itself on judging is clueless about Knowledge (local) with its topics of laws, customs, traditions :P

That's actually intended:
Quote from: Eiki Shiki
The law is decided by humans.
Sins that cannot be judged by laws are judged by me.

A Yama is precisely meant judge the cases when puny flawed mortals laws aren't enough!

Fluffwise, there would be lots to do to fit Yama into the setting.
Devils in Krevborna are not part of the natural order - they are fallen angels who have rebelled against that order, and arisen again incorporally to corrupt and tempt humans into spiritual sins. There isn't much judging to do - a sinner's soul will fall down into the Chthonic Pits and reform into a new fiend on its own.
Actually, one of the Yama's hobbies jobs is precisely finding and lecturing sinful people before they die to try to get them to repent and so avoid them getting some horrible fate in the afterlife like turning in an infernal, so I think that part fits quite nicely, even it would make it basically impossible to get devil bureaucrats, ah well.

Feys also have a hierarchy of their own led by the Archfey (comparable to Archdevils in power) and their own different, game plan to harm humanity (bring down civilization and reduce mankind again to the state of the savage animal), so they would be extremely unlikely to end up as infernal thralls.
Ah, but they do have a hierarchy and their own agenda, so we could always fluff it as corrupt deals/exchanges. The Archfey could be lending some fairies to work for the Ministry of What's Right and what's Wrong as part of negotiations (you close the eyes to X and you'll fet Y fairy workers) and spies/infiltrators. Remember, the Ministry of What's Right and what's Wrong is often overburdened with work thanks to all the sin in the world so they can't be very picky about who they hire.

The easiest way of adapting this would be a celestial adaption. The angelic Silver Choir is tasked with forging divine weapons and goods (and would therefore be a logical source of rods and crystal mirrors), while on the worldly side the order of St. Vashtina is tasked with justice and judgement.

Silver Choir seems like it would be a nice addition, but still a key aspect is that the Ministry of What's Right and what's Wrong is meant to act between Heaven and Hell. And from the fluff sources here it says:

When the righteous slip from this mortal coil they climb the Holy Mountain to find their heavenly home in the afterlife. The souls of sinners descend into the depths of the torturous underworld.
So there is some kind of heaven and hell already. And somebody needs to define what is a sin and what is righteous. Enter the Ministry of What's Right and what's Wrong. Which isn't perfect leading to the next bit of fluff:

The gates that lead to the Holy Mountain are closed. The souls of virtuous warriors gather upon the fields of Isgard to wage a final apocalyptic battle against the darkness. Other souls are doomed to wander the earth without aim.
Somebody needs to decide who's virtuous enough and when to close/open the gates. So when the Ministry of What's Right and what's Wrong doesn't do their job properly they just go "Yeah sorry heaven's full at the moment" while wandering souls are those in the "waiting line" and/or that simply got lost in the bureaucracy cracks "You'll need to travel to place A to get formulary Z".

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2019, 12:12:07 PM »
Ah, but they do have a hierarchy and their own agenda, so we could always fluff it as corrupt deals/exchanges. The Archfey could be lending some fairies to work for the Ministry of What's Right and what's Wrong as part of negotiations (you close the eyes to X and you'll fet Y fairy workers) and spies/infiltrators.
There is actually one fairy court that would go nicely with that idea, that of the Mountain Lord:
  • Emboldens mortals to join the Wild Hunt against those who have offended the fey
  • Portrayed as an arboreal man with antlers wearing furs
If that other class is limiting itself to commoners, I would be happy with just Oni, fairy and Shinigami commoners for the Yama's Ministry of What's Right and what's Wrong. How does that sound?
That's a bit too harsh. I'd say one cohort of any T5/6 class, while the followers are limited to Commoner levels.

Shinigami are easy enough to work in fluffwise (psychopomps are a thing world-wide, and the gothic grim reaper is similar enough).
Fairies are already covered above.
Oni could be reflavoured as Satyrs, with a type change to fey. (The monkey statue and beans vulnerabilities would still work.)

I'd also be open to other LA+0 races. Lesser Aasimar would be an obvious good fit.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2019, 09:17:19 AM »
Added a character sheet. Still room for a few adjustments and need to look over how to spend WBL. I can auto-succeed at using wands, so they are a strong possibility.
Hmm.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2019, 09:34:55 AM »
Ah, but they do have a hierarchy and their own agenda, so we could always fluff it as corrupt deals/exchanges. The Archfey could be lending some fairies to work for the Ministry of What's Right and what's Wrong as part of negotiations (you close the eyes to X and you'll fet Y fairy workers) and spies/infiltrators.
There is actually one fairy court that would go nicely with that idea, that of the Mountain Lord:
  • Emboldens mortals to join the Wild Hunt against those who have offended the fey
  • Portrayed as an arboreal man with antlers wearing furs
That's a bit too harsh. I'd say one cohort of any T5/6 class, while the followers are limited to Commoner levels.

Shinigami are easy enough to work in fluffwise (psychopomps are a thing world-wide, and the gothic grim reaper is similar enough).
Fairies are already covered above.
Oni could be reflavoured as Satyrs, with a type change to fey. (The monkey statue and beans vulnerabilities would still work.)

I'd also be open to other LA+0 races. Lesser Aasimar would be an obvious good fit.

Yay! Onis as satyrs in particular fits surprisingly well with both being horny and loving booze.

Character sheet still pretty WIP.

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2019, 12:07:23 PM »
Character sheet still pretty WIP.
I should note that dragons in Krevborna are generally evil embodiments of sins. But then there are theologians who argue that dragons exist as a scourge that punishes mankind for its moral outrages, and your character generally seems to turn out more and more as the "If the abyss gazes long into you, YOU will gaze back into the abyss" type.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2019, 08:28:48 PM »
Stats done. Now just to fluff/find appearance/add in some random miscellaneous items.

EDIT: But for appearance and some minor magical items, done. Naturally, her fey companion is the standard yuki-onna because I really need to do the snow thing to death.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 10:38:52 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2019, 11:17:32 AM »
Just throwing this out there, but if anyone wants to weigh in on the Aura choices for the Commander, now would probably be the time to do so.

And gear suggestions are most welcome too.

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2019, 12:55:29 PM »
Have statted up Raineh's consort as a lvl2 NPC follower using Osle's monster class.
She's obviously not optimized for adventuring (and should be kept far away from anything dangerous).

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 06:19:50 PM by Skyrock »

Offline Archon

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2019, 01:02:17 AM »
Urgh - now the hard question - do I take the stone-spitter because it's a good ranged option, or do I not take it because it spoils the angel-statue-in-heavy-plate aesthetic to have a welded-in sniper rifle.

Offline Archon

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2019, 09:14:57 AM »
Okay, sheet done, I think.

Ought I put up the math that lead to my ability scores?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2019, 09:57:09 AM »
Think I'm completely done now, and ready to diplomance things.  :lol

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2019, 06:53:52 PM »
I think I have found now a way to herd the cats and tie together their backgrounds, and sally forth to an adventure where they can work together as a more than less coherent group.
Once all characters are finished, we can begin for real.

Lobinha:
(click to show/hide)

Maxim:
(click to show/hide)

Mist:
(click to show/hide)

Tr'Bon Karlat:
(click to show/hide)

Yuki:
(click to show/hide)

Zadkiel:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2019, 10:20:42 AM »
I'd say unless we were dropping straight into combat, we can probably get started with the IC talking. We're probably ready enough background wise for that.

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2019, 02:56:17 PM »
I'd say unless we were dropping straight into combat, we can probably get started with the IC talking. We're probably ready enough background wise for that.
Here you go.