Author Topic: Interesting stuff in Pathfinder  (Read 371515 times)

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting stuff in Pathfinder
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2012, 11:23:21 PM »
So...Emergency Force Sphere.  Aside from being PF's wings of cover, I just found another awesome use for it -- making Arcane Archer useful for something!

It's an area spell w/ no save or SR.  As an added bonus, you retain the action cost of 1 immediate action.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Not very active here but still active online
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2013, 07:40:56 PM »

Quote from: Gods and Magic, page 56
Demon Mother's Mask

Aura faint transmutation; CL 3rd
Slot Head; Price 3,600 gp; Weight 1 lb.

Description:
 This primitive hyena-like mask is usually made of leather, but some are made of soft metal like copper or even carved out of the skull of an animal. You gain a +2 competence bonus on Handle Animal and Heal checks. You can smell when nearby creatures are in heat or otherwise especially fertile (creatures such as humans that can breed any time of year always smell fertile unless they are barren).

If Lamashtu is your patron, the mask counts as a holy symbol and a hole for a third eye appears in the mask’s forehead. You may use summon monster II once per day to summon a fiendish hyena, which obeys you as if you shared a common language. You may interbreed with animals that are within one size category of your size, usually creating (if you are a humanoid) animal-humanoid creatures such as gnolls or lizardfolk, or sometimes natural lycanthropes prone to live in hybrid form.

Construction
Requirements: Craft Wondrous Item, detect animals or plants, polymorph, summon monster II, creator must have at least 5 ranks in Handle Animal and Heal; Cost 1,800 gp
Please, call me Count :).

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2013, 08:36:45 PM »
Quote from: Gods and Magic, page 56
Demon Mother's Mask

Aura faint transmutation; CL 3rd
Slot Head; Price 3,600 gp; Weight 1 lb.

Description:
 This primitive hyena-like mask is usually made of leather, but some are made of soft metal like copper or even carved out of the skull of an animal. You gain a +2 competence bonus on Handle Animal and Heal checks. You can smell when nearby creatures are in heat or otherwise especially fertile (creatures such as humans that can breed any time of year always smell fertile unless they are barren).

If Lamashtu is your patron, the mask counts as a holy symbol and a hole for a third eye appears in the mask’s forehead. You may use summon monster II once per day to summon a fiendish hyena, which obeys you as if you shared a common language. You may interbreed with animals that are within one size category of your size, usually creating (if you are a humanoid) animal-humanoid creatures such as gnolls or lizardfolk, or sometimes natural lycanthropes prone to live in hybrid form.

Construction
Requirements: Craft Wondrous Item, detect animals or plants, polymorph, summon monster II, creator must have at least 5 ranks in Handle Animal and Heal; Cost 1,800 gp
I...  :??? :o What..?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2013, 10:10:34 PM »
Sounds appropriate for Lamashtu if nothing else...

Offline Craiconn

• 31" Vertical Leap ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2014, 05:12:33 PM »
Collaborative Thaumaturgy

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/collaborative-thaumaturgy

A 3rd Level spell castable by literally *every* spellcaster worth noting in PF.  This Immediate-Action casting spell is really, really nice.  It could be argued that it may not have a properly allocated casting level (3rd), but it looks about right for what it can do.  Plus, it promotes nice teamwork synergy, has cool/powerful combo possibilities and can help cover/fix weaknesses in a party's overall composite with multiple spellcaster types.

If you backport it to 3.5, there's tons of fun things you can do with this spell.  You can stick it on an Eternal Wand or have your Familiar cast it on you via Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability spell.   

Plus, with some spell research shenanigans, a spellcaster could easily have the *4* +1 metamagic feats that the spell simulates ... be changed to a different array of +1 metamagic feats.  Or even the *2* additional +3 metamagic feats for the rarely-used higher-end option within the spell could be changed to metamagic feats like Chain Spell or Echoing Spell.

Some neat things a party can do with Collaborative Thaumaturgy are:

1.  Help another spellcaster "stealthcast" a Silent/Still spell that ... possibly in a group of people where there's a sensitive situation going on.

2.  Can help imbue a friend's spell with Silent Spell if he's under a magical silence effect.

3.  With impeccable timing and a Lesser Chain Spell Rod, a spellcaster could Chain this spell to a boatload of other spellcasters to Extend some key spells all being cast simultaneously.

Etc. and so on ... 

Offline zaxter

• Lurker
  • Glorious personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2014, 12:22:28 PM »
Is third-party stuff from the SRD allowed? I've been poking through a lot of that lately, and I've found some gems.

Perfect Blow lets you make an AoO against an enemy once per round, even if your opponent has something that prevents them from provoking. Prerequisites are a little harsh, though...

Spell Finesse lets you pick a mental stat and use that as your casting stat. For all of your casting classes.

Stack Metamagic lets you add the same Metamagic feat more than once to a spell. Intensified Intensified Intensified Magic Missile, anyone?

Glory of the Faithful, well....just read it. It's supposed to be Paladin-only, but there are a number of ways to add spells from any list to your class's list.
I also have a matching "Glorious Signature," but image size rules prevent me from posting it here. You'll just have to use your imagination.

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 05:16:50 PM by Prime32 »

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2014, 02:48:46 PM »
Should this be titled Path-Fun-Finds(-er)
... or something complicated like that?
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline UserShadow7989

• Lurker
  • I have no idea what I'm doing
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2014, 11:23:31 PM »
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/snapleaf

I did a double-take when I looked at this item, and read it over and over a few times to be sure. While the name and cost imply a one-shot magic item that is broken to be used, there is absolutely no text stating such in the description. As written, it could be interpreted as a horrendously under-priced magic item that grants infinite use Invisibility + Feather Fall as an Immediate action for 5 rounds per use. Am I missing something, or is this really how this item works RAW (I certainly don't think it's RAI).

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2014, 01:54:41 AM »
What pg in the book?
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2014, 10:04:39 AM »
That really looks like it was supposed to be single use.  I certainly hope it is in the book, because that's a big mistake to miss.

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2014, 11:12:16 AM »
According to the Pathfinder FAQ, snapleaf is a one-use item.

Is snapleaf a single use item?
 Yes.

Offline UserShadow7989

• Lurker
  • I have no idea what I'm doing
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2014, 01:13:10 PM »
According to the Pathfinder FAQ, snapleaf is a one-use item.

Is snapleaf a single use item?
 Yes.

Thank goodness; I'm not even sad to see that potential bit of cheese go, if only because no DM I know would ever allow it as it was. Though the fact that it had to be noted in the FAQ does imply they missed it at one point...

Offline Snowbluff

• I like being a lurker!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2014, 10:50:43 PM »
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/regional-traits/thoughtful-wish-maker-plane-of-fire (:twitch)

Well, GG guys. That's it. Wish does anything. "Man, I wish I could with ten times a round without paying the cost."

DM: "HAHAHAHA!"

"I made a DC 30 sense motive."

DM: "Sure thing, bro."
Clerics are my game!

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2014, 07:24:52 PM »
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/regional-traits/thoughtful-wish-maker-plane-of-fire (:twitch)

Well, GG guys. That's it. Wish does anything. "Man, I wish I could with ten times a round without paying the cost."

Wish still has the whole "partial fulfillment" thing.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2014, 10:01:59 PM »
What would be a "partial fulfillment" of that wish? You can cast wish once per round without paying the cost? Anything less than that is just non-fulfillment, not partial.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2014, 10:06:55 PM »
What would be a "partial fulfillment" of that wish? You can cast wish once per round without paying the cost? Anything less than that is just non-fulfillment, not partial.

Honestly?  I think that partial fulfillment would be that you get to cast wish with paying the cost.  It technically is partial fulfillment, and technicalities is what wishes are all about.

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2014, 11:31:00 PM »

DM:  Granted.  Now you can with ten times a round without paying the cost.  Just think of what would have happened if you wished to wish that often! 

Offline Snowbluff

• I like being a lurker!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2014, 12:54:46 AM »
Maybe someone else would have to pay. After a couple, one of the other party members finds out I've been emptying his gold pouch.  :tongue
Clerics are my game!

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2014, 04:57:24 PM »
By the rules in Pathfinder, you cannot make a Coup de Grace with a firearm, thrown weapon, or nonstandard ranged weapon.
As a full-round action, you can use a melee weapon to deliver a coup de grace (pronounced "coo day grahs") to a helpless opponent. You can also use a bow or crossbow, provided you are adjacent to the target.