Author Topic: Thoughts/ Suggestions/ Questions with the new boards? Post here!  (Read 119540 times)

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
  • What is sickness to the body of a knight errant?
    • View Profile
    • The Spellshaping Codices (Homebrew Board)
Re: Thoughts/ Suggestions/ Questions with the new boards? Post here!
« Reply #200 on: July 20, 2012, 04:29:44 PM »
Is there a way to unsubscribe from a thread? I'd particularly like to unsubscribe from the "I agree" thread...

Did we ever get an answer on this?
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 25, 2012, 05:33:08 PM »
Could we put a sub-board somewhere for people to post compilation threads & extended signatures?  At the moment I think they're scattered all over the site...

bump
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 23, 2012, 10:04:11 PM »
Request: A "Bump" feature for handbooks, so handbooks that are updated actually show it. The current method of putting a bump post in the handbook thread is a little unsightly. At the very least, let us post a bump and delete the previous bump so the thread doesn't get cluttered.

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 24, 2012, 07:25:58 AM »
Is there any way for a thread with a modified post to provide notification like a new post was added? It would be nice in subscribed threads (especially pbp ones) would provide notification if an edit was made to an existing post after it was last viewed.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 24, 2012, 12:17:33 PM »
Is there any way for a thread with a modified post to provide notification like a new post was added? It would be nice in subscribed threads (especially pbp ones) would provide notification if an edit was made to an existing post after it was last viewed.

Pretty much the same thing I was talking about :-P

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 29, 2012, 11:56:04 AM »
Could we put a sub-board somewhere for people to post compilation threads & extended signatures?  At the moment I think they're scattered all over the site...

bump

bump x2

There are at least 6 different people off the top of my head that I could name which have threads like this... (me, robby, arias, nanshork, phaedrus, garryl, littha, osle, prime... hey there's 9 without looking around.) I'm sure more people would make them as well, once such a place existed.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #206 on: October 30, 2012, 11:06:46 AM »
The point of a signature thread is to be linked to your signature, so the place where it is located is kinda irrelevant if you ask me. I don't see any special reason to make a whole sub-board for them unless it's meant to be some kind of ego board or something.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 30, 2012, 11:35:33 AM »
The point is to have an intuitive place to keep them, rather than having them scattered all over the boards.  Easy for newcomers to add to, and easy to find your crap again if you lose the link for some reason, rather than trying to remember where you put it.

EDIT: And, easy for other people to browse if they're interested.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 30, 2012, 01:49:11 PM »
Then you're basically asking for "yoh dawg I heard you like indexes so we put an index on your index of indexes so you can index while you index".

There's already indexes for pretty much everything based on topics (a lot more newbiefriendly than unknown names list). Plus newcomers have no reason to add one of their own because they surely don't have enough material to warrant one yet. If you somehow manage to lose it, there's always the search function.

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
  • My personal text is impersonal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 31, 2012, 03:15:40 PM »
But a separate board for them would mean they don't take up space in other forums, so Min/Max 3.x (for example) doesn't get filled up with "RandomDude47's List of Stuff."

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 07, 2012, 02:43:22 PM »
"yoh dawg I heard you like indexes so we put an index on your index of indexes so you can index while you index".

:lmao

But a separate board for them would mean they don't take up space in other forums, so Min/Max 3.x (for example) doesn't get filled up with "RandomDude47's List of Stuff."

But "RandomDude47's List of Stuff" is so useful!  Plus, I mean... he has lots of indexes.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 24, 2012, 03:42:54 AM »
Okay, two things here (third doesn't count), both are likely to be shot down by others, but I like the ideas:

One)
What:  A Private board. That is to say, a board where any thread you start can only be read by you.
The Purpose: A place to put character sheets and monsters you don't want everyone else to see. Or anything else you don't want others to see.
The Reason: I think this would go quite well with how many people here are PbP DM's / players.
My True (personal) Reasoning: There are times I want to keep the Meta about my character in RL games a secret, meanwhile I'm constantly directing my group-mates here, most of them know me by my avatar too. So if they come here and I've got a sheet up, bam, they know my Metagame; I am tired of using my signature thread as a workground for projects that aren't ready for their own thread yet. See the heavily WIP class / discipline combo in there now. But it is a place I am reasonably sure that no one else will notice until I'm ready to move it elsewhere, a Private board will alleviate that; I will soon be an active PbP DM, and I would rather have things here, formated in ways I can do here, than on my Laptop, formatted in Word.

Two)
Putting my vote in for a Sig board.
I disagree that that would be "putting our indexes in an Index". It would be putting our index files into a folder.
@ Osle: Your sig has a link to your Monster Classes. As does, well, everyone else's. In your monster classes board, you have an index. Your index (Sig thread), leads to a folder (board), that contains its own index to locate content within that folder (board). You do not have an "index in your index". You have a very efficient system of indexes and folders.

That said... as idiotic as this might sound at first, bear with me
Three)
Mayhaps someone should make an Index.. of our indexes. The Hanbook Index, the Homebrew Indexes et cetra. Name should probably be something along the lines of "Your first stop for info, even before you search"
.... That sounded smarter in my head, and it didn't sound smart. But hey, it is some kind of thought.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 24, 2012, 07:10:04 AM »
Private boards are available, for PbPs and the like, you just need to ask. Generating a private board for every member is however, not possible, since each of these have to be manually made.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 24, 2012, 07:36:15 AM »
What:  A Private board. That is to say, a board where any thread you start can only be read by you.
The Purpose: A place to put character sheets and monsters you don't want everyone else to see. Or anything else you don't want others to see.
The Reason: I think this would go quite well with how many people here are PbP DM's / players.
My True (personal) Reasoning: There are times I want to keep the Meta about my character in RL games a secret, meanwhile I'm constantly directing my group-mates here, most of them know me by my avatar too. So if they come here and I've got a sheet up, bam, they know my Metagame; I am tired of using my signature thread as a workground for projects that aren't ready for their own thread yet. See the heavily WIP class / discipline combo in there now. But it is a place I am reasonably sure that no one else will notice until I'm ready to move it elsewhere, a Private board will alleviate that; I will soon be an active PbP DM, and I would rather have things here, formated in ways I can do here, than on my Laptop, formatted in Word.
-Use mythweavers or similar site to make sheets of your monsters/characters.
-Keep said sheets private.
-?
-Profit!

Or alternatively:
-Keep your personal documents in your own computer.
-?
-Profit!

Revolutionary I know. I myself have quite a bit of unfinished stuff on my computer. I've got like an openoffice word document with hundreds of pages worth of monster classes drafts (too lazy to make a new document for each monster, so when one is finished simply keep writing down).

Sure, it also means it's harder to acess when I'm not on my own computer (like now, so can't update Nintendo campaign), so I'm puting notes on my gmail account in the form of e-mail drafts.

Two)
Putting my vote in for a Sig board.
I disagree that that would be "putting our indexes in an Index". It would be putting our index files into a folder.
@ Osle: Your sig has a link to your Monster Classes. As does, well, everyone else's. In your monster classes board, you have an index. Your index (Sig thread), leads to a folder (board), that contains its own index to locate content within that folder (board). You do not have an "index in your index". You have a very efficient system of indexes and folders.
And I didn't need a Sig board for that did I? ;)

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 24, 2012, 08:50:28 AM »
I use Googledocs, or Skydrive, or Myth-Weavers to accomplish the same thing, which also makes it A)Accessable anywhere I have internet connections, and B) accessable on my computers and phone when I don't have access to internet connections due to skydrive syncing, which googledocs CAN be pointed to for an online reference.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 13, 2013, 08:41:19 PM »
Completely separate train of thought:

Is there support for sitewide CSS? If so, it'd be handy to have a community-based way to automatically define system slang. Things like DCFS becoming Dark Chaos Feat Swap when hovered over.

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 13, 2013, 11:47:53 PM »
You can do that with CSS? :huh

Right now there's this.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 14, 2013, 02:42:12 AM »
Most sitewide implementations of that tends to annoy more than inform though, due to collateral damage.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 14, 2013, 03:20:51 AM »
Most sitewide implementations of that tends to annoy more than inform though, due to collateral damage.

Additionally, there's malware / addware that puts those kinds of hover-over 'links'. Bringing up those adds also increases your viral risk even further. So you'd have people getting the two confused to deal with.
Plus, while the WoW tooltips thing might seem easier for your use, it is actually a pain in the ass to admin and keep it free from 'infection', since there's at that point another database entry port, and it's one that is usually less maintained and more easily accessed. And I think the last thing any of us want is another hack.

... Dark Chaos Feat Shuffle.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 16, 2013, 08:43:06 AM »
You can do that with CSS? :huh

Right now there's this.

That would work, althought I meant it as an automated thing for well known acronyms.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 08:56:02 AM by Nytemare3701 »