Author Topic: Unearthed Arcana: 3 unrelated subclasses  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Wilb

• Elder Lurker
    • View Profile
Unearthed Arcana: 3 unrelated subclasses
« on: March 27, 2017, 01:33:07 PM »
ere it is

EDIT =
• Drunken master is basically exchanging your subclass for a nice feat.
• Oath of Redemption is being Walking dead's Morgan when everything you meet is Negan. Its like the shittiest parts of BoED all over again
• Slayer is almost overpowered

correcting my mistakes
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 02:22:26 PM by Wilb »
Lovely Zoma...

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Unearthed Arcana: 3 unrelated subclasses
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 01:59:03 PM »
Is there a ruling on how to apply 20th level Peace ability? Say you take 30 damage, do you apply reflect first for 15 points or Resistance then reflect for 7? If it can be the former that's actually pretty nice, up to a 150% return rate on a failed Save, plus in a game based on HP infinite healing and the ability to take your ally's damage for them is pretty nice.

Offline Wilb

• Elder Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 02:21:32 PM »
Is there a ruling on how to apply 20th level Peace ability? Say you take 30 damage, do you apply reflect first for 15 points or Resistance then reflect for 7? If it can be the former that's actually pretty nice, up to a 150% return rate on a failed Save, plus in a game based on HP infinite healing and the ability to take your ally's damage for them is pretty nice.

No ruling at the moment.

Sorry for linking directly to the doc, I'll link the whole article right now.
Lovely Zoma...

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 03:12:51 PM »
The closest precedents I can think of to apply to point 2 of Emissary of Redemption are the ruling for how Arcane Ward interacts with concentration and Warding Bond.  I will admit these are tenuous, and if I can think of a more direct comparison, I will edit it in.

If the Arcane Ward has 45 hit points and a creature deals 50 damage, the concentration check is based on the 5 damage (DC 10) that makes it past the ward instead of the 50 damage (DC 25) the attack dealt.

Warding Bond grants resistance to all damage to the target.  The caster takes damage based on the result of the resisted damage.  (Any resistance the caster has can apply to the damage transferred to the caster.)  Otherwise, this spell would cause 150% increased damage, just split between two targets.

I think these rulings would imply Emissary of Resistance point 2 is half of the end result to stay consistent with other rulings.

----

Monster Slayer is probably the best attempt I've seen at making Hunter's Mark less mandatory and actually develops a ranger's monster knowledge niche into something useful.

----

Drunken Technique makes it a bit less painful to skip Mobile.  Drunkard's Luck combines really well with Diamond Soul iirc, since I believe granting yourself advantage with Drunkard's Luck would also apply advantage to rerolls performed with Diamond Soul if Drunkard's Luck isn't lucky enough the first time.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 03:18:02 PM by TenaciousJ »
Make Eberron Great Again! #MEGA

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 05:03:33 PM »
"Drunken" refluff to whatevs, the Performance check does nothing related to the class already ...
3 free bonus action? Niiiiice if you figure out that playstyle
6 mooks surround you occasionally
11 adv saves for cheap I like
17 ? wording, I can guess what this does (aoe) but it sure isn't clear

Redemption seems like a partial Vow Of Poverty-ish update
3 Dex build, but you've also got Shield on the spell list
3 o.k. this is basically a limited Friends cantrip with decent refluffing
CD very good out of combat , and good action use vs bbeg
7 meh I'm not a fan of accounting abilities
15 I could see the junior boards try to cheese "in combat" a little longer
20 weird soak build revision at level 20 = what

Slayer how many doubles/dooples do we have now/know?
3 awesome Divivination ability I like massive +++++ ; way to kneecap those nasty meta-gamers
7 bonus to saves always good
11 action denial is always good
15 dip War Cleric for the win ; especially good if a dump stat save is replaced by attack stat = borderline get-out-of-jail-free card. Excellent.

Your codpiece is a mimic.