Author Topic: General Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 211589 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: General Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #280 on: August 22, 2014, 05:09:08 AM »
It's as RD said for mecha storage, if anyone has a better wording for it feel free to post it and I'll edit it in.

If the mech is sentient and uses my stats, does that mean that my CON bonus would give it extra HP?
That's kinda hard to happen since Con bonus applies to HD and mecha have none of it.

I could just be cheesy and say that Colossal stuff can, within the rules, squeeze into a space one size smaller than them and thus you can now have 2 colossal mechas on 1 colossal ship :p
Funny, but the interior of a ship isn't an empty space to allow to use the squeeze rules.

I guess you could have one colossal mecha inside and another riding on top, but that one would be left behind when using warp speed. :p

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 22, 2014, 10:11:51 AM »
Mecha Transport: A battleship can load and carry one mecha of its own size, or two mechas of one size category smaller, or four mechas of two size categories smaller, and so on. Entering or exiting a battleship is a move action on the part of the mecha. The battleship can prevent  'aunfriendlies from entering.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 22, 2014, 04:20:03 PM »
Nature's Oath: At 15th level 1/day, if you would die or your mecha be destroyed while in a location with natural vegetation, you can have trees and vines grow to repair your body and machine. You and your mecha recover all HP and remove all non-instantaneous ill effects from themselves, and can keep acting normally while you remain within 10 miles of the location that brought you back to life. If you go further away, or all the vegetation inside the radius is destroyed, you die.

This replaces the bonus feat a Super Pilot usually gains at 15th level.

I think something is missing to allow you to move more than 10 miles from this place, ever, without dying and making it questionably useful as a replacement feature (sure, I can keep fighting for the one battle... in the right environment, and if we have to move on I drop dead?)

Also rewording, because it currently kills you if you move too far away and your mecha was the one broken.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 04:57:47 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 23, 2014, 02:12:58 PM »
A detail I thought I'd point out, in case it wasn't intentional: If a super robot takes a 1 level dip in Ship Captain, they can transform into a humanoid form of huge size, basically getting two Growth upgrades that stacks with those they might want every 4 super pilot levels.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 23, 2014, 02:16:29 PM »
There needs to be some way to stop that (and they could freely be a Colossal mecha, not simply 'huge'), but restricting multiclasses to picking Growth would mean multiclassing the other way is shooting yourself in the foot. Hm.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: August 23, 2014, 02:54:43 PM »
The colossal humanoid would probably get the same restriction in that it doesn't have any mechanical advantage past just being bigger, so you'd mechanically still count as huge-sized.
It could work just as it does for its speed. The transformation is into a normal sized super robot without any size advantage that can get size increases normally. You keep track of the sizes of the battleship form and humanoid form separately. It would probably benefit from Humongous Ship but, since it requires a feat instead of a few upgrade points and the 9 levels in SC limits the maximum growth upgrades that can be taken anyway, that wouldn't be a problem.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 23, 2014, 03:14:33 PM »
Size means reach.

I'm not a fan of 'colossal ship becomes a medium robot'. Doesn't make sense, and if the inspiration is Macross...

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 23, 2014, 03:27:35 PM »
A captain may choose to start with a bigger battleship up to colossal size, but this won't grant any mechanical benefit besides being able to carry more mechas, filling a bigger space and bigger size penalty to AC and attack rolls.
Doesn't include reach.

Well, its a super robot battleship so I guess that kind of spectacular thing could happen. It makes sense to me. Probably makes as much sense as a bunch of other super robot stuff. Could be a special ship upgrade that makes your humanoid form match the size of the ship with a bigger upgrade cost since it gives more than one size increase. Or even make it so that the humanoid's size past medium counts as medium the same way a ship counts at start as huge-sized.
Or sort of the option to keep 'hem separate, Gurren-Lagann style. The battleship form splitting off the robot with a Real/Ship Captain multiclass-like system.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 03:30:39 PM by Anomander »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 23, 2014, 03:56:17 PM »
I think it would be better if the resultant size stems from the class balance. Kind of weird from a mechanical perspective, but it means primary captains fit the 'transform the whole thing' ideal.

At least making Growth specify sizes per upgrade, now there's another way to make ships get bigger, would fix the ability to exploit the one level to obscene sizes.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 23, 2014, 03:58:14 PM »
You do realize that being a super/captain multiclass means you end with the Cumbersome penalty (read:no immediate actions) in either form that makes adjacent enemies count you as flatfooted and also automatically confirm their crits, right?

So yes, pretty big robot for relatively cheap, but if enemies get close they're gonna hurt you a lot as they aim at your vulnerable points for critical damage.

Anyway added options for both multiclass super/captain and super size upgrades+transform that allow them to have different sizes because magic SUPER SCIENCE!

Also, edited in RD's transport version, thanks!

Nature's Oath: At 15th level 1/day, if you would die or your mecha be destroyed while in a location with natural vegetation, you can have trees and vines grow to repair your body and machine. You and your mecha recover all HP and remove all non-instantaneous ill effects from themselves, and can keep acting normally while you remain within 10 miles of the location that brought you back to life. If you go further away, or all the vegetation inside the radius is destroyed, you die.

This replaces the bonus feat a Super Pilot usually gains at 15th level.

I think something is missing to allow you to move more than 10 miles from this place, ever, without dying and making it questionably useful as a replacement feature (sure, I can keep fighting for the one battle... in the right environment, and if we have to move on I drop dead?)
Very well, added option of ending the oath.

Also rewording, because it currently kills you if you move too far away and your mecha was the one broken.
That's not a bug, it's a feature of being a tree-hugging elf. :p

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 23, 2014, 04:05:13 PM »
I sure as hell would never want to use a class feature that loses me a level, and play time, in exchange for taking part in a fight I survived.

Also: a Super 19, Captain 1 can never use any Counters? I really hope Ships Full of Hope has none, too.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 04:07:05 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 23, 2014, 04:13:43 PM »
I sure as hell would never want to use a class feature that loses me a level, and play time, in exchange for taking part in a fight I survived.
Hmm, right now 1 minute worth of emo speech will remove the oath, it's not that much time and definitely not a level. :tongue

Also: a Super 19, Captain 1 can never use any Counters? I really hope Ships Full of Hope has none, too.
You can as long as your enemy isn't adjacent (that's what makes cumbersome turn the ship flatfooted). Like, using ranged weapons from afar. Gives a reason for flying in close for point-blank blasts.  Also "This Battle Isn't over Yet" is a counter that can be used only  when an ally gets hurt.

Offline Michael Lightning

• It's the end of the world..... What's for dinner?
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 23, 2014, 09:10:17 PM »
So, you have rules for heavy melee weapons, but I haven't seen any weapons with that tag. Am I missing something?
~And through it all, it ends with a single flash of lightning~

Offline Clanjos

• Super Smiting Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 24, 2014, 12:41:42 PM »
Regarding the arcane pilot: do familiars selected in place of Arcane Feat get their own pod?
Quote from:  a weekly game
"Sometimes, even an adventurer needs a backrub."

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 25, 2014, 10:00:37 AM »
Yes.

So, you have rules for heavy melee weapons, but I haven't seen any weapons with that tag. Am I missing something?

No. Just planning for the future.

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 25, 2014, 06:56:31 PM »
So, a question about the Iron Charge stance in Into the Danger Zone: How long does the AC/Save bonus last? Until the start of next turn? Best bonus until stance is removed? I'm curious.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 25, 2014, 07:59:11 PM »
So, a question about the Iron Charge stance in Into the Danger Zone: How long does the AC/Save bonus last? Until the start of next turn? Best bonus until stance is removed? I'm curious.

Currently in game, I've been using it under the assumption that the bonuses reset at the beginning of your turn. Thus you have to keep moving to keep dodging. You can't dodge if you don't move :p

Made sense like that to me.

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 25, 2014, 08:02:36 PM »
That's what I'd assume, but it might be something that would want to be cleared up. RAW and RAI can be 2 VERY different things.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 25, 2014, 08:20:24 PM »
I would imagine most homebrew is intended to be RAI? No?

Unrelated but
@OSLECAMO

So Moon Vanguard gets Nanoarmor that can emulate a Real or Super Robot.
What happens if a Moon Vanguard multiclasses into Ship Captain?
Does my Super Robot Nanoarmor get to become a Super Battleship somehow?  :lmao

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 26, 2014, 04:01:42 PM »
Primordial Pilot: The Einst Queen counts as a Pilot for meeting the prerequisites of feats, and her drones count as having the same Pilot level for any ability that cares about it. If she picks Funnel Control System,  instead of robots she unleashes a massive swarm of diminutive Einst drones from  her body, that follow the same game rules as funnels.

Sadly, Funnels demand spellcasting ability, so it's a rather unlikely option unless you just want one level of casting. Are they still supposed to still have that requirement, or was it an oversight?