Author Topic: General Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 211617 times)

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Re: General Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #340 on: August 07, 2015, 06:54:36 AM »
I just noticed that the Super Robot upgrades "Growth" and "Miniaturization" could be stacked together to gain all the bonuses of being super big but remaining normal or smaller sized. The net gain being your weapons keep their increased damage die due to size increases (as Mini says it doesn't reduce the die size for weapons), you take no size penalty to hit (or gain a bonus if go below medium), and you keep the Nat AC bonus from getting bigger while being smaller.

And neither one says you can't take the other if you already have one of the two.

How intended or not is this?
I could totally use this loophole right now  :lmao

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #341 on: August 07, 2015, 12:13:44 PM »
Hmm, that's a bit too silly even for here if you ask me. Made the upgrades mutually exclusive.

Nerfed Hyperdimensional Storage so that it costs extra points each extra time you pick it, otherwise it's kinda of an auto-pick.

Also I was thinking of buffing Born to Fight so that it allows you to "overcharge" arsenal options so that they grant a bigger bonus for 1 round and are then lost, in a case by case basis So for example overcharging a Booster would grant a +100 mu bonus to speed for 1 round, but then you lose the booster until you can change arsenal options again. How does it sound?

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 07, 2015, 08:33:52 PM »
Could it simply reduce the overcharged arsenal's bonus to 0 temporarily instead?
I don't think I would ever use the option if it effectively removed the Arsenal item after one use for at least the rest of an ingame day.

Edit: Altho losing the booster just for the rest of the current encounter (or a set amount of time outside of combat if not in an encounter) after the single use I could get behind. And then being able continue to overcharge it further to continue the Boosting like I described just below until you break it.

I do however like this suddenly needlessly complicated idea about being able to Overcharge the same arsenal item for consecutive rounds, with each round after the 1st having an increasing percent chance of burning out the Arsenal item untiil you have a chance to change arsenal options (repairing/replacing the burnt out Arsenal option).

Also, sorta on the side and unrelated a bit, but Born to Fight's "Able to use maneuvers usually only accessible while piloting a mecha when outside the mecha 1/5 minutes" bit. Moon Vanguard counts as a Pilot class, and Nano Armor counts as a Mecha, so I could use not just the Pilot martial school maneuvers but also any martial school maneuvers (that aren't from Ace Pilot, Into the Danger Zone, or that 3rd SRW martial school) tied to the Moon Vanguard class 1/5mins as well couldn't I?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 08:37:35 PM by ketaro »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 12, 2015, 05:02:16 PM »
Could it simply reduce the overcharged arsenal's bonus to 0 temporarily instead?
I don't think I would ever use the option if it effectively removed the Arsenal item after one use for at least the rest of an ingame day.

Edit: Altho losing the booster just for the rest of the current encounter (or a set amount of time outside of combat if not in an encounter) after the single use I could get behind. And then being able continue to overcharge it further to continue the Boosting like I described just below until you break it.

I do however like this suddenly needlessly complicated idea about being able to Overcharge the same arsenal item for consecutive rounds, with each round after the 1st having an increasing percent chance of burning out the Arsenal item untiil you have a chance to change arsenal options (repairing/replacing the burnt out Arsenal option).
Made it so that the acessory becomes nonfuctional for 10 rounds. Random chance to break doesn't sound like that much of a good idea to me.

Also, sorta on the side and unrelated a bit, but Born to Fight's "Able to use maneuvers usually only accessible while piloting a mecha when outside the mecha 1/5 minutes" bit. Moon Vanguard counts as a Pilot class, and Nano Armor counts as a Mecha, so I could use not just the Pilot martial school maneuvers but also any martial school maneuvers (that aren't from Ace Pilot, Into the Danger Zone, or that 3rd SRW martial school) tied to the Moon Vanguard class 1/5mins as well couldn't I?

Correct.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 26, 2016, 10:29:54 AM »
Big number overhaul across all classes to make the attack bonus and AC values match better as they could get messy pretty easily.

Also tweaked several super robot upgrades and arsenal options.

(click to show/hide)

Things to do:
-Tools category for the arsenal, aka 1-use items, cartridge will be moved there.
-IE and bun gun maniac tactical feats.
-Newtype/Coordinator class, aka specialized in bonding and communication with other pilots.
-Random kid pilot class. Less maneuvers, more spirit.
-More PSO2-based schools.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:12:30 AM by oslecamo »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: February 18, 2016, 08:09:59 AM »
IE tactical feat added, along index on the feat thread.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 17, 2016, 09:25:57 AM »
Minor update, nerfed Valor/Soul a bit so that they cannot score criticals and do not stack with other damage multipliers.

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 12, 2016, 06:00:13 AM »
Hey Os was looking over some of this stuff to use in another campaign (currently trying to design a gestalt Moon Vanguard/God...quite fun) and found a few things that could use some clarification.

1:   Super Robot Upgrades
     I assume upgrades without a cost listed are 1 point apiece, but it doesn't say as such anywhere.

2: Another from the Super Robots

Extra:The super robot gains one extra in-built basic weapon. Cannot be taken more than once per 4 HD.

What does a basic weapon consist of in relation to this?

3: Reactor 1 and Generator 1 mecha properties
    If you receive these properties from multiple locations. Say Solar Panel (1) Arsenal and Mysterious Power super robot upgrade, do they stack or do you take the highest offered value?

Might have more later but that's it for now.
I want to be born. To live. That is all I want. -Aura

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 13, 2016, 08:34:45 AM »
1. Yes, clarified.

2. It's the same as the default in-built weapon (1d6 melee no extras).

3. Take highest value, that's why they have keywords.

Also great to hear there's DMs out there that will allow stuff like gestalt Moon Vanguard/God! :D

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 13, 2016, 12:14:35 PM »
Nice to know that most of my assumptions were correct then, didn't want to revisit my upgrades again so soon.

I will admit though to some desire to use this material at the local comic shop.  Fate Core just isn't a good system for mech games since you simply stack the same thing over and over. Mekton Zeta was fun way back, but outdated and needed some serious work on designing pilots.

As an aside, are there any plans for Zoids? I know they were in very few of the SRW games (same with Voltron) but well......Zoids.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 13, 2016, 08:03:49 PM »
Holy fck Zoids is my JAM!!

SRW and Gundam, for me, don't hold a candle to Zoids xD

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 13, 2016, 08:19:12 PM »
I never watched Zoids nor even saw their models selling. My only knowledge of them was seeing a GBA game seemingly based on them.

Could you point out Zoid's main selling points, what makes them stand out from other mechas? At first glance it seems to be "animal-bots!". With the bad guys using dino-skeleton bots. Also something about organic metal from the wiki. Looks like something I could work with. But are the machines sentient? Any special energy sources? Are they powered up by believing in yourself? Do they regen? Also are they more melee based or shooty or hybrid? 

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 13, 2016, 08:21:39 PM »
Zoids has always been a local group favorite, we've run it a few different ways in the past, Fate 2 was especially fun.

Note, always make sure you know the location of allies BEFORE firing the Charged Particle Cannons

Not entirely sure how to implement it in regard to the material already here though. New Mech chassis, feats, and even a school or two (maybe based on the bond between a sentient mech and the pilot, hmm) sure, but would new classes be needed?

Also, Zoids were renowned for their variations.   How many different Liger models were there?  So would most mechs need a minor upgrade system akin to the Super robots?

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 13, 2016, 09:14:26 PM »
I never watched Zoids nor even saw their models selling. My only knowledge of them was seeing a GBA game seemingly based on them.

Could you point out Zoid's main selling points, what makes them stand out from other mechas? At first glance it seems to be "animal-bots!". With the bad guys using dino-skeleton bots. Also something about organic metal from the wiki. Looks like something I could work with. But are the machines sentient? Any special energy sources? Are they powered up by believing in yourself? Do they regen? Also are they more melee based or shooty or hybrid?

Zoids were indeed sentient to a degree, most only possessed up to animal level intelligence relative to their model however.   There were exceptions to prove the rule, like the ones possessing Black Boxes.

They weren't powered up by believing in yourself or anything, but their performance could be affected by a pilots emotional and mental state. It was normally tactics or some new system that would win you the fight you were just losing, so more Real Pilot aligned I think. However a close relationship with your zoid was necessary to do well with it. The Liger Zero was thought to be worthless because no one could pilot it until Bit Cloud, simply due to it refusing to cooperate.

They possessed a Zoid Core that was essentially their heart and brain rolled up into one nice package, that if damaged would result in their termination without intervention (much like us actually). They could be grown from an intact core, and regenerate slowly.

'Wild' Zoids existed which were those without pilots, they usually maintained themselves through cannibalism of other zoids, devouring another's core in some cases, but depending on the timeline there were zoids that could persist off of metal laden plants or deposits.

Energy source....varies depending on the timeline. In Chaotic Century the Zoid EVE, an ancient Zoidian relic from before humans came supposedly powered all zoids, but later they introduced Reggel, which could be found in nature as well as manmade. A bucket worth was apparently enough to power a large zoid.

And they were fairly well balanced on melee vs ranged, with hard ammunition favored over energy in most cases.

There was also tech warfare with such examples as the Shadow Fox's smokescreen interfering with radar readings, the Killer Dome crab model capable of jamming radar entirely

While the main character always had a Liger as his personal Zoid, allies ran the whole animal kingdom and so did the enemies. Chaotic Century (the 1st timeline wise) each of the 2 main factions favored certain models but that changed in later series when the War was long over.

What makes Zoids stand out in my opinion, in that while robot fighting is still the main draw, it was the bond between the Pilot and Zoid that only grew stronger as the series went on. There was a great team feeling that something like Gundam didn't possess, a reminder of the intelligence of the mechs unlike the *insert super sentai/voltron substitute here*. Super Sentai came close with Wild Force admittedly, with Dino Thunder picking up the Saurs later And it didn't need enormous explosions in every action scene, or endless fan service wouldn't complain if it did though to keep you watching.

There was also the sheer number of mechs and customization compared to anything else at the time.  Pterasaurs, Falcons, Ligers, Gorillas, Tyrannosaurs, Elephants....even flying whales and sharks Whale King and Hammer Kaiser, they were carrier zoids. There was even a Caterpillar zoid.   If you wanted it, they probably had it somewhere.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 09:22:34 PM by Rekmond »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 13, 2016, 11:23:37 PM »
Gosh that's such a perfect explanation I had to upvote ya. I couldn't have said it nearly so well

Edit: If anything, os, Zoids could provide a lot more interesting super robot options as you could potentially make them a subset of super robots.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 11:26:37 PM by ketaro »

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 14, 2016, 12:47:17 AM »
Gosh that's such a perfect explanation I had to upvote ya. I couldn't have said it nearly so well

Edit: If anything, os, Zoids could provide a lot more interesting super robot options as you could potentially make them a subset of super robots.

yay, my 1st upvote.

And the super robot options is something I'd considered when I began thinking about this.

Basically set up different base chassis (Humanoid, Quadruped, Saurian, etc) as options and build from there.

As far as I can recall not many zoids had ranged weapons naturally. If they did it was due to human involvement customizing them.  And the lack of ranged weapons fits into the base Super Robot idea from what I've seen.

A lot of the stunts they pull are right from the Super Pilot playbook too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gha5zf7kGZE

how they actually win This fight especially.
  no luck finding it without being an amv sadly.  Maybe looking it up by episode number..

edit: Said if you wanted it they probably had it.

Took a few to find it, but this could very well prove my claim.

BEHOLD!!! Brony Zoid the Orudios
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 01:01:39 AM by Rekmond »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 14, 2016, 01:01:57 AM »
The different Base Chassis you mentioned actually reminded me of how Pathfinder's Summoner's Eidolon has a similar setup, basically, to how Super Robots work here lol.

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 14, 2016, 01:50:39 AM »
I hadn't thought of that at all.  Was just trying to think of the easiest method to enable the huge variety of Zoids, without statting out a ridiculous number of models.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 29, 2016, 08:50:36 PM »
Bunch of general updates:
-New Super upgrades. Soul of the machine to increase max spirit points and spirit regen, paired weapon to get twin-linked weapons that can be further upgraded to combine as a Heavy weapon, Balanced for Finesse , Blasting for Brutal on ranged weapons.
-Increased super robot in-built weapons base damage to 1d10.
-Added levels V, VI and VII to the expanded list of real robots.

Didn't forget about Zoids, but first wanted to finish a bunch of stuff already in the backburner.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 29, 2016, 09:19:38 PM »
I am so conflicted about the new Great One upgrades. Actually picking one is going to be a pain.