Author Topic: Nintendo World Game? [D&D 3.5]  (Read 74825 times)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: Nintendo World Game? [D&D 3.5]
« Reply #240 on: March 14, 2012, 11:49:10 AM »
Any more questions I missed since I hadn't time to check this yesterday? Ah, well, seems like we already have plenty of character drafts so I'll go requesting the forum to organize this.

Well, I asked:
Which begs the question: Are there Pikmin? If so, Where are they?
, it was only half in jest. I am a little curious. Though I also don't want to distract you to much from making the area you are, and it is one of many things that don't need decided anytime soon.

I actually never got to playing pikmin, so I'll leave them aside for this campaign.

Why not Elemental? He's just a cloudpuff, afterall.

Elemental [Air, Dream] seems to fit. It handles the WTF Anatomy nicely, gives Kirby his flight ability. Outsider [Air, Dream] works just as well.

Well, I was also thinking about power level is why not Elemental. I don't like the idea of being immune to crap.

Why? For the most part, the reason I wanted to play Kirby is just the "ha-ha" of sucking in one enemy, and shooting him out at his friend. The Copy Ability thing is kind of just a plus. But none the less, I like the idea of doing something along the lines of sucking up an Illithid and using its Mind Blast against its friends. If I went into that fight w/ immunity to Stun, then it would just feel cheep.

Also, I was looking at the skill points. In that way, I do want more.

I take it [Dream] is either: A) homebrewed somewhere; or B) out of Eberron somewhere.
As the DM, I'm not exactly feeling very motivated to allow a homebrew that allows you to disable enemies while turning them into weapons and copy their attacks all with the same actions.

I realize announcing this is counterproductive, but I have a question:

Pirate Troopers need eight hours to form their armor. Could I enchant the armor with "Called" (From Defenders of the Faith) to shorten or even negate this time?

Another question arises: Would I be able to have the suit form out of different materials?

The armor forming class ability does not state that enchantments cannot be placed on the formed armor suit, and while it does not specifically state that the suit formed cannot be made of different materials (I'd imagine just paying for the upgrade would suffice, if allowed). Though, D&D is a game of specifics, and while I personally don't like to do it, sometimes it pays off. :)

Speaking as the author and not as the DM (and speaking as someone who hasn't actually read the MaI rules for a few months), I can tell you the intent, although how things wind up in game is up to Oslecamo.

The 8 hour Power Suit forming process was designed to mimic the 8 hours of rest that Wizards need before preparing spells. You can still do other things that aren't stressful during that time (including said 8 hours of rest before preparing spells), but it's intended to be part that overnight/before setting out prep time. Chozo Warriors have class features to reduce the time, though (I don't remember why, I think it was just to fill some dead levels). I also tied a few other things to that beginning-of-the-day forming (activating your modules and attaching them to hard-points, I think, and switching out equipped items), so being to form/unform your power suit all willy nilly actually has some significant effects.

Regarding enchanting the power suit, it was intended that if you wanted some special armor enchantments, you'd just wear some armor underneath and integrate it into your suit. I don't think there was any good way to change the material. (Is it ever even defined, other than a vague metal of some sort, if even that?) Not that it would be overpowered or anything like that. These and other issues with the power suit are why I divorced it from the main activating process and moved it to its own module when I rewrote the base classes for PoC.

I'll take the creator's word about the power suit. No fast-forming, can pay special materials and enanchments in advance like normal armor.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #241 on: March 14, 2012, 11:53:06 AM »
<Everything I wrote>

Speaking as the author and not as the DM (and speaking as someone who hasn't actually read the MaI rules for a few months), I can tell you the intent, although how things wind up in game is up to Oslecamo.

The 8 hour Power Suit forming process was designed to mimic the 8 hours of rest that Wizards need before preparing spells. You can still do other things that aren't stressful during that time (including said 8 hours of rest before preparing spells), but it's intended to be part that overnight/before setting out prep time. Chozo Warriors have class features to reduce the time, though (I don't remember why, I think it was just to fill some dead levels). I also tied a few other things to that beginning-of-the-day forming (activating your modules and attaching them to hard-points, I think, and switching out equipped items), so being to form/unform your power suit all willy nilly actually has some significant effects.

Regarding enchanting the power suit, it was intended that if you wanted some special armor enchantments, you'd just wear some armor underneath and integrate it into your suit. I don't think there was any good way to change the material. (Is it ever even defined, other than a vague metal of some sort, if even that?) Not that it would be overpowered or anything like that. These and other issues with the power suit are why I divorced it from the main activating process and moved it to its own module when I rewrote the base classes for PoC.

First off, hi. Thank you for writing everything, and please please please finish it soon.

Secondly, my concern with the armor forming seems to sound like you start forming your armor when you go to sleep at night, wake up fully armored, and then never take your armor off at all throughout the entire day, ever. Then you take it off right before you go to bed, start forming your next suit of armor, and curl up with your plush Mother Brain and wake up the next day, fully armored again. I know the standard image of a D&D party is 'All Armored, All the Time!', which would explain why adventurers hate going to balls and formal gatherings, since they'd have to shed their armor like a beetle shedding its exoskeleton.

I'd be fine with the restriction of "You cannot change your module loadout more then once in any 24 hour period, regardless of how many times you form your armor" if it meant that I can go from "mostly defenseless" to "as defended as any other character with the right equipment loadout" ;)

Mr. DM, if such a thing isn't possible or you simply would rather not, then I'll accept that and adjust the build. No worries.

And also, while I have you here Garryl, there's a weapon in the equipment lists that is the favored weapon of Space Pirates, but it's a Martial weapon. Space Pirates only have proficiency with Simple weapons meaning they'd need to either take a level in a class that gives them Martial Proficiency, or blow a feat. Might I suggest adding something to their racial loadout that allows them to treat Space Pirate weapons as simple weapons? Or just give them Martial Proficiency in their classes?

Though, speaking on "Wearing armor and integrating it into the suit", does that mean the solution is to wear armor, then put on armor, so that my armor and armor mingle? Wow, I think I just gave myself a bloody nose with that one. Hold on...

Okay, so I wear enchanted armor, then summon my armor (then wait a quarter of the day), and then my formed Power Suit will have the properties of the armor I was wearing?  :???

Just curious how that works. If it works like that, I'm going to presume that it only has the properties of the suit it last absorbed or what not. Otherwise, I'd just keep feeding it armor like it was Audrey II

I'll take the creator's word about the power suit. No fast-forming, can pay special materials and enanchments in advance like normal armor.

So I wrote all of the above and then you replied, so first off thank you for the reply. I'm not going to delete anything I wrote because damnit, I wrote it! Though, since the answer rendered some of the above no longer relevant, I'm leaving it there for Garryl to read at his leisure. I'll be building Rabbit now, since this was really all I needed clarified.

Would you object if I pulled items and equipment from d20 Modern or d20 Future?

EDIT: I ask because the Metroid as Incarnnum rules for equipment are incomplete as of this time. If you'd rather not, I can simply say that all of his higher tech gadgets and such were Destroyed Beyond Repair (tm) in the crash.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 11:55:49 AM by Sneaky_Sable »
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 14, 2012, 12:23:38 PM »
The Metroid character is discussing stacking suits of armor...

I HAVE TO!
(click to show/hide)
Also Osle, I doubt you'll continue to think it is too powerful after I post it, but I may be wrong. Have to try though.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 03:59:55 PM by ariasderros »
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 14, 2012, 12:45:35 PM »
<Everything you wrote>
<Everything I wrote>

First off, hi. Thank you for writing everything, and please please please finish it soon.

Secondly, my concern with the armor forming seems to sound like you start forming your armor when you go to sleep at night, wake up fully armored, and then never take your armor off at all throughout the entire day, ever. Then you take it off right before you go to bed, start forming your next suit of armor, and curl up with your plush Mother Brain and wake up the next day, fully armored again. I know the standard image of a D&D party is 'All Armored, All the Time!', which would explain why adventurers hate going to balls and formal gatherings, since they'd have to shed their armor like a beetle shedding its exoskeleton.

I'd be fine with the restriction of "You cannot change your module loadout more then once in any 24 hour period, regardless of how many times you form your armor" if it meant that I can go from "mostly defenseless" to "as defended as any other character with the right equipment loadout" ;)

Mr. DM, if such a thing isn't possible or you simply would rather not, then I'll accept that and adjust the build. No worries.

And also, while I have you here Garryl, there's a weapon in the equipment lists that is the favored weapon of Space Pirates, but it's a Martial weapon. Space Pirates only have proficiency with Simple weapons meaning they'd need to either take a level in a class that gives them Martial Proficiency, or blow a feat. Might I suggest adding something to their racial loadout that allows them to treat Space Pirate weapons as simple weapons? Or just give them Martial Proficiency in their classes?

Though, speaking on "Wearing armor and integrating it into the suit", does that mean the solution is to wear armor, then put on armor, so that my armor and armor mingle? Wow, I think I just gave myself a bloody nose with that one. Hold on...

Okay, so I wear enchanted armor, then summon my armor (then wait a quarter of the day), and then my formed Power Suit will have the properties of the armor I was wearing?  :???

Just curious how that works. If it works like that, I'm going to presume that it only has the properties of the suit it last absorbed or what not. Otherwise, I'd just keep feeding it armor like it was Audrey II

So I wrote all of the above and then you replied, so first off thank you for the reply. I'm not going to delete anything I wrote because damnit, I wrote it! Though, since the answer rendered some of the above no longer relevant, I'm leaving it there for Garryl to read at his leisure. I'll be building Rabbit now, since this was really all I needed clarified.

Would you object if I pulled items and equipment from d20 Modern or d20 Future?

EDIT: I ask because the Metroid as Incarnnum rules for equipment are incomplete as of this time. If you'd rather not, I can simply say that all of his higher tech gadgets and such were Destroyed Beyond Repair (tm) in the crash.

See? Confusing rules, unintended consequences, and smelling very ripe under all that armor. If any of those don't appeal to you, try the PoC rules instead (just as soon as a write them; I think I have most of the changes with regards to activating modules and whatnot written out already somewhere).

I should probably check the rules for forming power suits again. If I remember correctly, they went something like this:
- Put on your items (only the ones that use body slots matter), choose your modules, start forming the suit.
- When the suit's done (8 hours), your modules activate and the items you wore are "integrated" (can't be removed, and they stop you from attaching to the hard-points associated with the slot). Once the suit's done, you can't put on or remove any new items without a Computer Use check and a bit of Con damage.
- Spend an hour attaching modules to hard-points.
- Do your stuff for the day.
- Unform the suit. Your equipment is still there and pops out as normal. I think I never wrote up what the process for this was, but it was supposed to take a short time, like maybe a minute.
- Alternatively, skip the unforming and just reform your suit. You can still switch what modules you're activating and equipment you're using (integrating) at this time. (Note that one of the PrCs, the one that turns into a living construct, gets stuck with this option once they go mech.)
So, in short, no, your armor doesn't disappear, it just gets stuck for a while. Note that the armor's armor bonus (and enchantments to it) are distinct from your suit's armor bonus, so they don't stack (and the enhancement bonus doesn't actually apply to the suit's armor; the free scaling through levels was supposed to represent that). Not that this is particularly relevant since Oslecamo's letting you just enhance the suit as armor, like it probably hsould have been in the first place.

Giving Space Pirates familiarity with battle scythes makes sense. I was also thinking of giving Cyberneticists (er, Pirate Troopers) proficiency with a martial weapon of their choice, similar to the Battle Sorcerer, Dread Necromancer, and sirpercival's Ritualist.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #244 on: March 14, 2012, 01:02:35 PM »
See? Confusing rules, unintended consequences, and smelling very ripe under all that armor. If any of those don't appeal to you, try the PoC rules instead (just as soon as a write them; I think I have most of the changes with regards to activating modules and whatnot written out already somewhere).

I should probably check the rules for forming power suits again. If I remember correctly, they went something like this:
- Put on your items (only the ones that use body slots matter), choose your modules, start forming the suit.
- When the suit's done (8 hours), your modules activate and the items you wore are "integrated" (can't be removed, and they stop you from attaching to the hard-points associated with the slot). Once the suit's done, you can't put on or remove any new items without a Computer Use check and a bit of Con damage.
- Spend an hour attaching modules to hard-points.
- Do your stuff for the day.
- Unform the suit. Your equipment is still there and pops out as normal. I think I never wrote up what the process for this was, but it was supposed to take a short time, like maybe a minute.
- Alternatively, skip the unforming and just reform your suit. You can still switch what modules you're activating and equipment you're using (integrating) at this time. (Note that one of the PrCs, the one that turns into a living construct, gets stuck with this option once they go mech.)
So, in short, no, your armor doesn't disappear, it just gets stuck for a while. Note that the armor's armor bonus (and enchantments to it) are distinct from your suit's armor bonus, so they don't stack (and the enhancement bonus doesn't actually apply to the suit's armor; the free scaling through levels was supposed to represent that). Not that this is particularly relevant since Oslecamo's letting you just enhance the suit as armor, like it probably hsould have been in the first place.

Giving Space Pirates familiarity with battle scythes makes sense. I was also thinking of giving Cyberneticists (er, Pirate Troopers) proficiency with a martial weapon of their choice, similar to the Battle Sorcerer, Dread Necromancer, and sirpercival's Ritualist.

Actually, all of that makes sense. The armor or clothing you wear becomes something of an underarmor once the power suit is formed. Since both could, in theory, provide armor bonuses, you'd only use the highest one out of the two. Thank you for the clarity.

Now, Oslecamo... I just picked the flaws I wanted and I noticed that both of them said 'homebrew'. I want to bounce them off of you first before I go any further. That, and my work computer has a lot of firewall'ed sites that I'd normally use to make characters quickly, and so I'm slightly hamstrung.

The two flaws are:

Estranged- http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Estranged_%283.5e_Flaw%29
Isolationist- http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Isolationist_%283.5e_Flaw%29

I saw these two and figured they worked great for a lone Space Pirate...

(click to show/hide)

... that betrayed High Command and now works under suspicion for the Galactic Federation on the fringe. He'll get shot at by his own people for the crime of Treason, and the last time he worked with a group of Federation officers, he had to keep ducking to avoid 'accidental' friendly fire.

The chosen Trait is, of course, Dishonest.
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 14, 2012, 01:27:26 PM »
You've got, what, three pokemon so far? I'd just get the shotput enhanced; gives you plenty of time to see what your team needs, and it'll make you so much more useful in combat personally.

Unless you're only using the shotput as a backup...?

The shotput is my main weapon.  Yeah, I'll just deal with it and spend assloads of gold making it returning.  Thanks for the input.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #246 on: March 14, 2012, 06:00:26 PM »
Ok people, we got our shiny new boards here! Get in there so we may start properly organizing this.

Replies to the last questions here.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 14, 2012, 06:02:49 PM »
I'm not sure if I should be moving over to the other board yet, since you just opened the pre-campaign thread, but..

Nevermind.
Ninjas in this thread I swear.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 06:05:32 PM by ariasderros »
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome