Author Topic: Hypothetical: Level != HD  (Read 1946 times)

Offline RedWarlock

• Honorary Mod
  • Crimson-colored caster of calamity
    • View Profile
    • Red Blade Studios
Hypothetical: Level != HD
« on: August 17, 2012, 11:54:48 AM »
This is an option I'm considering, which I'd like to hear some opinions on. It's not a definite rule, just something I'm considering.

Basically, the idea would be that not every class level comes with a hit die. You would start with a certain value of hit dice based on your race or size (current idea is small get 1 HD, Medium get 2 HD, Large get 3HD, and so on.) Heavier fighter classes would get hit dice every level, because their training and advancement comes with some inherent toughness. Caster classes, on the other hand, would get them only sporadically, or even barely at all. The HD gained would be based on your base class, setting up some importance for what class you start with.

This has the benefit of making Con more effective for fighter-types. The discussion point I've seen in the 'preferred features of old editions' thread was that by giving every class con benefits to level, it neutralized some of the distinction between a fighter and a cleric, making the cleric almost as tough as the fighter when they both have high con scores, moreso when a caster has a higher con because they're otherwise SAD. This is one approach to reintroducing that concept, after a fashion.

This would also allow me to have the Toughness feat grant an extra HD, with matching con bonus. (Personally, I like this as an idea anyway.)

The reverse optional setup would be to have the option of having certain classes gain multiple hit dice per level, with matching extra con bonus. Or perhaps a combination of the two, where Mages and Adepts might get HD only every 2 or 3 levels, while Brutes and Knights would get two HD per level.

So what do you guys think?
WarCraft post-d20: A new take on the World of WarCraft for tabletop. I need your eyes and comments!

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Hypothetical: Level != HD
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 12:14:45 PM »
Lowering hit points will have unintended consequences. Anything that removes the natural ablative defense of hit points from casters encourages them to stack even more defenses, get even harder to hit, and do even more god wizardry. Battles become even more deadly and lethal for them, encouraging them to defeat their enemies before they can even risk an attack. If you get crushed in a single blow, you can't take any risks of letting that blow arrive. Glass cannons just aren't that fun to play (though it might just be me).

Offline RedWarlock

• Honorary Mod
  • Crimson-colored caster of calamity
    • View Profile
    • Red Blade Studios
Re: Hypothetical: Level != HD
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 02:15:13 PM »
Lowering hit points will have unintended consequences. Anything that removes the natural ablative defense of hit points from casters encourages them to stack even more defenses, get even harder to hit, and do even more god wizardry. Battles become even more deadly and lethal for them, encouraging them to defeat their enemies before they can even risk an attack. If you get crushed in a single blow, you can't take any risks of letting that blow arrive. Glass cannons just aren't that fun to play (though it might just be me).

Hmm, I can see what you mean. What about my second option, some classes gaining multiple HD per level, increasing the benefit of Con for those classes?

In some ways, I've got multiple mechanics I like working against me.. Parrys work well in a system where everyone has similar hit points, allowing the parrying types to block incoming damage altogether. Resistant armor allows heavier melee to wade into combat with less fear, likewise taking less damage compared to lightly armored targets, but again it's better in a system with near-identical hitpoints. Whereas this option would be better to address the imbalances of identically-defended casters/noncasters...

Hmm. Maybe in my hypothetical multi-HD-per-level system, it would be the difference between a mage getting 1d8, versus a rogue getting 1d12, versus a knight getting 2d6. Even if they all had the same con score, 14, the mage is getting an average 6.5 per level, the rogue getting 8.5 per level, and the knight getting 11 per level.

Keep in mind also, casters won't be 1-rounding encounters. SoDs don't work in a single round on equal-level opponents, and even for melee, the general damage/magic-effect potential is being intended to take 3-5 rounds for an equal-level encounter.
WarCraft post-d20: A new take on the World of WarCraft for tabletop. I need your eyes and comments!