Author Topic: The Science of Platinum.  (Read 10044 times)

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
Re: The Science of Platinum.
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 01:10:20 AM »
PlatinumDC 20CityCobblestone

City(Basalt): Basalt is pretty much just simple cobblestones; nothing grows on it, pretty much. A platinum pole tends to have a climate that matches any of the other climates, as decided when the pole is originally placed.

City(Platinum): A platinum pole allows you to spread a city biome. A city area has cobblestone as its baseling, and additional terrain features include bridges, buildings, fountains, roads, sewers, and walls. A city is a generally hospitable place, designed to be inhabited by humanoid creatures.
  • Bridges: Bridges are roadways that extend over chasms, bodies of water, and other otherwise dangerous terrains. A bridge extends the cobblestone basis of the biome out into a gentle arch, which can hold 200 lbs per 5' of width at any one time. A bridge costs 5lbs for every 5ft. section.
  • Building: Buildings are where people tend to live; in this case, a single application of this feature is called a story. A single story is a 20' by 20' by 10' room, with doors and windows arranged to taste on the walls, floor, and ceiling. If multiple stories are stacked on top of each-other, a staircase appears that connects the two, positioned either along one of the outer walls or in the center of the story. If two stories are placed immediately adjacent to each-other, the two rooms can be merged into a single, larger room. Each story, upon creation, generates a deed, which allows the holder to create or remove subdividing walls, windows, doors, and balconies inside that story, taking 10 minutes for each feature added or removed. A deed may only be transferred via legal means, unless the original creator of the deed decides otherwise. A single story costs 50 lbs of material to produce.
  • Fountain: A fountain is a pleasant landmark that allows free access to clean, drinkable water. A fountain constantly emits a stream of fresh water, streaming out at a rate of 5 gallons a round. A fountain that isn't connected to a source of water consumes 10 lbs of material each round. A fountain costs 60 lbs of material to produce; in addition, if there is any statuary that the creator of the fountain wishes to incorporate, the fountain costs an additional 30 lbs.
  • Road: A road is a surface intended to be easy to walk along; in addition, if a stretch of road is 20ft. wide or wider, this feature also produces bullseye lanterns that hang 7ft. above the ground every 60ft' along the road, supplying constant light. 4 5ft. sections of road costs 10 lbs to produce.
  • Sewer: A good sewer allows you to pipe water (or other liquids) to a fountain, or take wastewater away from a road. Sewers are created 10ft. underground, and cost 10 lbs for each 5ft. cubed section. In addition, by spending an additional 10lbs on a section of sewer, a drain is created that connects to either a fountain or a road, which is either a pipe or a drain, respectively. If a sewer connects to a body of liquid, it consumes it at a rate of 10 gallons per round; a sewer can fuel a two fountains for every body of liquid it taps. If a fountain is fueled by a sewer connected to a body of liquid that isn't fresh water, it produces that liquid instead of fresh water.
  • Wall: A good wall keeps the city safe! Each of the costs on the table below are for a single 10ft. section; each section has an AC of 3 and a Hardness of 8. A gate can be added to a wall for no additional cost.

Wall DimensionsHit Points per SectionCost
    20ft. tall, 5ft. thick450 HP20 lbs
    30ft. tall, 10ft. thick720 HP60 lbs
    40ft. tall, 15ft. thick1170 HP120 lbs
Platinum(Smog): Smog is terrifically awful, actually quite dangerous fog, though the danger is not immediately apparent; smog obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 10ft. Creatures 10ft. away have concealment (attacks by or against them have a 20% miss chance). In addition, creatures with Scent cannot detect creatures out past 20ft. due to the sharp, acrid scent of the smog. Finally, every hour spent inside smog inflicts 1 nonlethal damage to every creature inside the cloud, and creatures do not naturally heal nonlethal damage inside smog. Smog consumes 10 lb of metal for every hour that it's in effect.

Platinum(Acid Rain): This is not weather that you want to be caught in; Acid Rain is identical to Heavy Rain, except that every round that a creature spends exposed causes it to take 2d6 acid damage; even when a creature isn't exposed to the Acid Rain, they take 1 acid damage until they dry off. Acid Rain costs 100 lbs to kick off, and lasts for an hour.

City(Platinum): Supernatural City features include Bizzarchitecture, Power Ribbons, and Zeitgeists
  • Bizzarchitecture: Sometimes you just have to have a pair of roads in the same place; that's where bizzarchitecture comes in. Unlike a normal feature, bizzarchitecture is applied to a group of features, hereafter referred to as a set. When designing the features for an area, up to two sets can be placed in the same location; a single set is designated the default set, and the other set is designated as the secondary set. Once the sets have been placed, the secondary set cannot be accessed or observed by any means except under conditions designated when the sets were originally created; these conditions can are restricted to any conditions that would be able to trigger a Magic Mouth spell. When the conditions for accessing a secondary set are met, any creature that meets the criteria treats the secondary set as if it were the default set, and vice versa. Creatures who are inside a set always treat that set as the default set, regardless of whether or not they still meet the conditions. This means that, for example, if a pair of buildings are in different sets and are in the same location, creatures in one building cannot interact with or observe creatures or objects in the other building through any means. Creating Bizzarchitecture multiples the cost of each componant feature by 10.
  • Power Ribbons: Power Ribbons carry ebbs throughout a biome; this allows for an even spread of ebbs throughout the biome's features. A single Grammaric componant or heuristic net can be attached to a given end of a power ribbon, and every heuristic net that contains a section of Power Ribbon is treated as if it were overlapping every other heuristic net that the power ribbon runs through. Power ribbon costs 100 lbs for every 50ft. extent.
  • Zeitgeists: A zeitgeist is a "spirit" that instinctively derives demographic information from a Biome. A zeitgeist, to state more bluntly, is an EI whose heuristic bubble only includes the pole of the biome, but whose Telepathy covers the entirety of the biome. In addition, its Mindsight allows it to automatically know the age, race, gender, and legal status of every creature that it can sense. If a Zeitgeist is set up, a Bizzarchitecture's set's condition to be accessed can use any information that the zeitgeist is able to automatically derive, and it cannot be fooled with respects to any of those pieces of information. A zeitgeist costs only 100 lbs to create, but multiplies the rate at which the pole consumes itself by 10.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline kellus

• Honorary Mod
  • 'SUP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 02:19:56 AM »
Oh, this is just excellent. Just like I was thinking, and probably fewer exploits, too!  Awesome work! :D

I need to get to sleep, but I'll go over it with a fine toothed comb tomorrow to make sure I understand everything. If it looks good, I'll put it into the main body. Also, bizzarchitecture makes me happy; It's just such a gramarie-ish name.  :)

Offline kellus

• Honorary Mod
  • 'SUP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 02:21:00 AM »
Oh, and in answer to your PM (didn't even realize where it was on this board) I definitely like the idea of populace, shops, and so on, so much so that I'm thinking about an urban geoccultist PrC now!

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 02:21:49 AM »
Sweet!

Platinum will get it's just rewards!
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline kellus

• Honorary Mod
  • 'SUP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 04:28:11 PM »
Okay, eliminations in red, replacements in blue, comments in green.

PlatinumDC 20CityCobblestone

City (Basalt): Basalt is pretty much just simple cobblestones; nothing grows on it, pretty much. A platinum pole tends to have a climate that matches any of the other climates doesn't have much effect on the local climate, although wind patterns tend to be broken up by large structures and sharp corners., as decided when the pole is originally placed.

City (Platinum): A platinum pole allows you to spread a city biome. A city area has cobblestone as its baselinge, and additional terrain features include bridges, buildings, fountains, roads, sewers, and walls. A city is a generally hospitable place, designed to be inhabited by humanoid creatures.
  • Bridges: Bridges are roadways that extend over chasms, bodies of water, and other otherwise dangerous terrains. A bridge extends the cobblestone basis of the biome out into a gentle arch, which can hold 200 lbs (repeated typo, corrected without comment from here) per for every 5'ft. (same) of width at any one time once. A bridge costs 5lb for every 5ft. section.
  • Building: Buildings are where people tend to live;. iIn this case, a single application of this feature is called a story. A single story is a 20ft. by 20ft. by 10ft. room, with doors and windows arranged to taste on the walls, floor, and ceiling. (Awesome, doors on ceilings. Perfect for cities with weird gravity!) If multiple stories are stacked on top of each- (replaced from here on out) other, a staircase appears can be installed that connects the two, positioned either along one of the outer walls or in the center of the story. If two stories are placed immediately adjacent to each other, the two rooms can be merged into a single,[/color] larger room. Each story, upon creation, generates a deed, which allows the holder to create or remove subdividing walls, windows, doors, staircases, and balconies inside that story,. This takinges 10 minutes for each feature added or removed. A deed may only be transferred via legal means, unless the original creator of the deed decides otherwise at the time of placement. A single story costs 50 lb of material to produce.
  • Fountain: A fountain is a pleasant landmark that allows free access to clean, drinkable water. A fountain constantly emits a stream of fresh water, streaming out at a rate of 5 gallons a every round. A fountain that isn't connected to a source of water consumes 10 lb of material (corrected from here on) metal each round to produce the necessary liquid. A fountain costs 60 lb of metal to produce; in addition, if there is any statuary that the creator of the fountain wishes to incorporate, the fountain costs an additional 30 lb.
  • Road: A road is a surface intended to be easy to walk along. in addition, If a stretch of road has a width ofis 20ft. wide or widermore, this feature can also produces bullseye lanterns that hang 7ft. above the ground every 60ft. along the road, supplying constant light. 4 Four 5ft. sections of road costs 10 lb to produce.
  • Sewer: A good sewer allows you to pipe water (or other liquids) to a fountain, or take wastewater away from a road. Sewers are created 10ft. underground, and cost 10 lb for each 5ft. cubed section 125 cubic foot block of ground altered. In addition, by spending an additional 10 lb on a section of sewer, a drain pipe is created that connects it to either a fountain or a road, which; this is either a release pipe or a drain, respectively. If a sewer connects to a body of liquid, it consumes it at a rate of 10 gallons per round; a sewer can fuel a two fountains for every body of liquid it taps. If a fountain is fueled by a sewer (ew) pipe connected to a body of liquid that isn't fresh water, it produces that liquid instead of fresh water.
  • Wall: A good wall keeps the city safe! Each of the costs on the table below are for a single 10ft. section; each section has an AC of 3 and a Hardness of 8. A gate can be added to a wall for no additional cost.

Wall Dimensions       Hit Points
    per Section   
    Cost
    20ft. tall, 5ft. thick450 HP20 lbs
    30ft. tall, 10ft. thick720 HP60 lbs
    40ft. tall, 15ft. thick1170 HP120 lbs
Platinum (Smog): Smog is terrifically awful, actually quite dangerous, fog,. Though the danger is not immediately apparent, smog obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 10ft. Creatures 10ft. away have concealment (attacks by or against them have a 20% miss chance). In addition, creatures with Sthe scent special ability cannot detect creatures out past 20ft. due to the sharp, acrid scent of the smog. Finally, every hour a creature spends spent inside smog inflicts 1 nonlethal damage to every creature inside the cloud, and creatures do not naturally heal nonlethal damage inside smog them, which cannot be healed naturally while they remain in the cloud. Smog consumes 10 lb of metal for every hour that it's in effect.

Platinum (Acid Rain): This is not weather that you want to be caught in; acid rain is identical to heavy rain, except that every round that a creature spends exposed causes it to take 2d6 acid damage;. Even when an exposed creature isn't exposed to the acid rain gets out of the rain, they take 1 acid damage until they dry off. Acid rain costs 100 lb to kick off, and lasts for an hour.

City (Platinum): City supernatural terrain features include bizarchitecture, power ribbons, and zeitgeists.
  • Bizarchitecture (corrected from here): Sometimes you just have to have a pair of roads in the same place; that's where bizarchitecture comes in. Unlike a normal feature, bizarchitecture is applied to a group of features, hereafter referred to as a set. When designing the features for an area, up to two sets can be placed in the same location; a single set is designated the default set, and the other set is designated as the secondary set. Once the sets have been placed, the secondary set cannot be accessed or observed by any means except under conditions designated when the sets were originally created; these conditions can are be restricted to any conditions that would be able to trigger a magic mouth spell. When the conditions for accessing a secondary set are met, any creature that meets the criteria treats the secondary set as if it were the default set, and vice versa. Creatures who are inside a set always treat that set as the default set, regardless of whether or not they still meet the conditions. This means that, for example, if a pair of buildings are in different sets and are in the same location, creatures in one building cannot interact with or observe creatures or objects in the other building through any means. A true seeing effect allows simultaneous observation of both sets of features, but the observer can still only interact with the set that is real for them. Creating bizarchitecture multiplies the cost of each component feature by 10.
  • Power Ribbons: Power ribbons carry puissance throughout a biome; this allows for an even spread of ebbs throughout the biome's features. A single gramaric component or heuristical citcuit can be attached to a given end of a power ribbon. Thereafter, every heuristical circuit that contains a section of that power ribbon is treated as if it were overlapping every other heuristic net that the power ribbon runs through. Power ribbon costs 100 lb for every 50ft. extent.
  • Zeitgeists: A zeitgeist is a spirit that instinctively derives demographic information from a biome. A zeitgeist, to state more bluntly, is an exotic intelligence whose heuristical bubble only includes the pole of the biome, but whose telepathy covers the entirety of the biome. In addition, its Mindsight allows it to automatically know the age, race, gender, and legal status (HAH!) of every creature that it can sense. If a zeitgeist is set up, a bizarchitectural set's condition in order to be accessed can use any information that the zeitgeist is able to automatically derive, and it cannot be fooled with respect to any of those pieces of information. A zeitgeist costs only 100 lb to create, but multiplies the rate at which the pole consumes itself every day by 10.

Fantastic work. If you approve of the changes, I'll add it into geoccultism!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 04:33:26 PM by kellus »

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2012, 05:20:20 PM »
Works for me! I'm just glad to get one more thing elevated to official status.

Offline Omnicrat

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2012, 05:55:47 PM »
Unless I misread it, the wording about stairs greatly limits how you can place it.  The way I read it, when placed inside a structure, they can only be placed in the center of a room.  Also, I didn't notice any explicit way to add walls, for the purpose of making hallways, or just smaller rooms.  If any of that didn't make complete sense, it is most likely due to the fact that I am very tired.

Offline kellus

• Honorary Mod
  • 'SUP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2012, 06:22:47 PM »
Unless I misread it, the wording about stairs greatly limits how you can place it.  The way I read it, when placed inside a structure, they can only be placed in the center of a room.  Also, I didn't notice any explicit way to add walls, for the purpose of making hallways, or just smaller rooms.  If any of that didn't make complete sense, it is most likely due to the fact that I am very tired.

Stairs can be originally place either in the centre of a storey or along one of the outer walls, but it's also one of the features that a deedholder can change with ten minutes of effort, just like walls. So they can add them wherever they like!

Offline Omnicrat

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 02:43:17 AM »

Stairs can be originally place either in the centre of a storey or along one of the outer walls, but it's also one of the features that a deedholder can change with ten minutes of effort, just like walls. So they can add them wherever they like!

I understand that is the intent, but again, as written, it looks like the deedholder can only put up or take away walls at the pre-set boundaries, or move a staircase from the center to the outer walls, but nothing beyond that.  When you lay out rules for feature placement, unless you specify that they don't apply to the modification of said feature at a later date, it makes sense to assume that they do.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 03:54:50 AM »
It's actually supposed to be more limiting that building the thing by hand, since you're working from archetypes and the like.

That can be changed, but we're going to be working with pretty generic building here...

Offline Omnicrat

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 04:33:16 AM »
It's actually supposed to be more limiting that building the thing by hand, since you're working from archetypes and the like.

That can be changed, but we're going to be working with pretty generic building here...

Wait, so are you saying I was right about the restriction I thought were there?  Because didn't Kellus just say I was wrong?  There is definitely a miscommunication here, the only question is between who.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 04:42:17 AM »
The original positioning of stuff is as limited to what I said; however, someone with the deed could make any of the modifications he's talking about (I just didn't explicitly spell it out, since I wrote that stuff when I was half asleep.)

Offline Omnicrat

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 07:23:40 AM »
The original positioning of stuff is as limited to what I said; however, someone with the deed could make any of the modifications he's talking about (I just didn't explicitly spell it out, since I wrote that stuff when I was half asleep.)

Okay, so I was the confused one.  I figured that was the intent (though I would prefer more flexibility with the original creation) but it should probably be spelled out.

Offline kellus

• Honorary Mod
  • 'SUP
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 12:11:28 PM »

Okay, so I was the confused one.  I figured that was the intent (though I would prefer more flexibility with the original creation) but it should probably be spelled out.

Sorry for the confusion, I'll tidy it up so that people can understand what's going on.