Author Topic: 1001 Homebrew Ideas to Flesh Out Sometime  (Read 308638 times)

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
Re: 1001 Homebrew Ideas to Flesh Out Sometime
« Reply #200 on: August 18, 2012, 10:53:38 PM »
"The effects of any spell you cast on yourself... using this feat..."

It only allows the person wild shaped to cast certain spells on himself, and all effects of any of those specific spells end when the wild shape ends.  The benefits of Awaken are still effects of a spell, thus it ends.  I guess I need to clean up the wording though.

While I'm here:  I just realized Natural Spell was a [Wild] feat in Masters of the Wild, but was not given that descriptor in the 3.5 update.  The best reason I can think of for this is they didn't want to release any other [wild] feats in core, so they just took the descriptor off.   :fu WotC, it deserves to be a [wild] feat!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 10:57:56 PM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 19, 2012, 12:49:21 PM »
Dark Archer

An invoking variant of the Arcane Archer. See also my revamped Arcane Archer.

Invoking: Can't decide if it should progress your existing invoking or grant a new progression (ending with 2 least, 2 lesser, and 1 or 2 greater by level 10).

Eldritch Arrow: Add bonus damage to your shots (+1d6 @ 1st and every 4 levels thereafter). If you have Eldritch Blast, add half that damage, too.

Enhance Bow: Bows you use have Greater Magic Weapon.

Imbue Arrow: At 2nd, can add eldritch essences to your eldritch arrows, but requires a standard action.

Seeker Blast: Learned at 4th level. New Eldritch Essence, 3rd (Least), blast goes around corners, ignores cover/concealment, etc.

Phase Blast: Learned at 6th level.  New Eldritch Essence, 4th (Lesser), blast goes through solid objects, ignores cover/concealment/armor, etc.

Eldritch Hail: Starting at 8th level, can take a full-round action to make a bow attack against any number of targets within range. Can apply and eldritch essence as Imbue Arrow.

Consuming Blast: Learned at 10th. New Eldritch Essence, 6th (Greater), blast deals negative energy damage. You heal half the damage dealt.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 20, 2012, 08:59:22 PM »
A transformational prestige class based on Boots & Cloak of Elvenkind, which turns you (over X levels) into an Elf.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 20, 2012, 09:03:10 PM »
A transformational prestige class based on Boots & Cloak of Elvenkind, which turns you (over X levels) into an Elf.

A prc that turns you into an ECL 1 race?

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 20, 2012, 09:07:18 PM »

I haven't worked out all the prereqs, but you may have to have levels in Feater.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 20, 2012, 09:11:04 PM »
If it turned you into a drow it might be worth it as long as its is only 2 levels long :D

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 20, 2012, 09:57:19 PM »

I haven't worked out all the prereqs, but you may have to have levels in Feater.

Wouldn't it have to? After all, E.L.F. stands for Epic Level Feater right?  :smirk
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 21, 2012, 03:04:39 AM »
Random rogue idea:

Special Ability:  A rogue who successfully feints allows crits and precision damage to work on the target as if it wasn't immune for one round.  This special ability may be taken a second time to increase the number of rounds to 2.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 21, 2012, 10:36:30 AM »
Rogue Mk. 2

(click to show/hide)

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 21, 2012, 11:17:25 AM »
Incomplete: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=16925.0

Truenaming, Mk. N+1

Link for me: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2773.0
If this winds up any good, it will be because I stand on the shoulders of giants. I'm going to draw a lot from that and Kellus's Truenaming. The good parts, anyways.

First, some revisions to the Truespeak skill. Like any skill, it should do skill things on its own.
(click to show/hide)

Miscellaneous Truespeech Effects (effects related to the Truespeak skill and truenames that I'm not sure should be in the skill or in Truespeech magic)
(click to show/hide)

Truespeech Magic
(click to show/hide)

Utterances
(click to show/hide)

Orator (base class)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 02:40:12 PM by Garryl »

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 21, 2012, 11:32:10 AM »
I'm thinking you'd just be expanding the PF rogue with the Rogue MKII.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 21, 2012, 11:56:38 AM »
I'm thinking you'd just be expanding the PF rogue with the Rogue MKII.

Yeah, you're probably right.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 21, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
Another semi-joke class:  The SHAMURAI, which is a 10-level prc which gets +0 BAB progression.  It's all about convincing your opponent that you're a good fighter, so you do damage with Bluff checks instead of attack rolls.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 22, 2012, 06:41:15 PM »
Brainsplosion! How I might be able to do mecha!

First off, linky. That's sort of like what basic mecha will look like, mechanically. Just replace those modules with cybernetic modules (and energy and sockets) from Power of Cybernetics. Feats and classes will improve your abilities with them. Particularly, one path of base classes that deal solely with that kind of mecha, able to pilot whatever they come across, akin to the Warblade of martial adepts. A sword is a sword, pointy end goes in the other guy. A robot's a robot, pointy actuator goes in the other guy's cockpit. In anime/manga terms, this would be more like "real" pilots and "real" robots. Basic mecha will just be purchasable like any other piece of equipment. However, as they essentially replace large swaths of your character under normal use, they'll also prevent or dramatically impede your abilities and class features, including spellcasting, initiating, activating, etc. The aforementioned feats and class features will lessen or remove some of these limitations, eventually putting you in roughly the same boat mechanically as machine spirits (see below), where the mecha you pilot enhances your abilities instead of replacing them.

Second (and influenced by the fact that I'm reading Shinji and Warhammer 40k right now), there will be a separate category of mecha, more like "super" robots. They have a semi-sort of sentience at the very least that lets them only work, or at least work much better, in the hands of a chosen pilot. These are called "machine spirits" (and in an homage to WH40k, there will also be an Artificer-like cybernetics class called the Techpriest). Pilots will gain access to and bond with machine spirits similar to Druids and their animal companions (class feature name: Machine Bond?). Machine Spirits will level up and improve with you. Also, you're a lot more free to use your own abilities through a machine spirit. Spellcasting, manifesting, initiating, etc. will be barely impeded, if at all.

Later on, I might add some sort of crossover like Weapons of Legacy that turns a mecha into a machine spirit over the course of your career. Or a PrC that lets you do that. Or something.

Mechas are always designed for creatures of some specific size at least one size smaller to pilot them. If you're one size smaller than that, you can still pilot them, albeit with some difficulty. Any smaller and the controls probably just don't work. Any larger and you probably can't even fit inside the cockpit. A mecha can be built/designed for any such size pilots. Most mecha (and especially machine spirits) can also be retrofitted to a larger size.

Some possible mechas, by size. Because they can be enlarged, this is really just a minimum size as far as PCs are concerned, but whatever.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 11:38:36 PM by Garryl »

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 22, 2012, 08:52:45 PM »
Yoink for the mecha, by the way...
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 23, 2012, 01:17:48 AM »
I'm thinking the biggest problem is making Mecha work without making the whole party mecha operators. Hmm.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 23, 2012, 01:37:32 AM »
Might need an effective counter to them a la Yoko's gun from Gurren Lagann.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 23, 2012, 08:06:34 AM »
I'm thinking the biggest problem is making Mecha work without making the whole party mecha operators. Hmm.

The first thing I'm doing is altering the scale of mecha from city-sized monstrosities to just large robots (at least at low levels). And at high levels, mundane(-ish) characters are expected to stand toe to toe with city-sized monstrosities anyways, so all is good. Aside from that, it's just a matter of keeping the numbers and abilities balanced with what's already available.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 23, 2012, 06:47:51 PM »
Slight fighter redo:

Certain feats designated as Fighter feats gain a bonus when taken by a fighter, based on the character's levels in fighter.

Totally out of the blue and might cause some issues, but it might alleviate more than it causes.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 24, 2012, 09:14:40 AM »
When you roll a critical threat but miss, make the critical confirmation roll anyways. If you confirm, you hit and crit, but deal damage with a multiplier 1 less than normal.
 - OR -
Any critical confirmation roll that itself rolls a critical threat (regardless of whether that would hit or not) confirms the crit.

Both of these options should "fix" the math on crits when you don't hit on all values you threaten. However, they're not perfect. The first triggers your extra effects and damage dice on a hit too much, and the second doesn't fully account for modifiers to your critical confirmation roll. Still, close enough for me.