Author Topic: How many dips are too many? I'm building a skilled character  (Read 2556 times)

Offline NumberKruncher

• Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
    • View Profile
I'm building a character for an AL game that hasn't started yet.

My main goal is to have a character that is 90% caster, and that is good at skills.

My idea is to go:

Half elf
Level 1 rogue (8 skills, 2 expertise)
Bard X (9 skills, 4 expertise at character level 4)

If I go lore bard, that'll be 12 skills at character level 4, if I go valor bard, I'll eventually get better armor and multiple attacks.

I'm considering a one level dip into knowledge cleric, for two more skills with expertise. I don't know if that'll be spreading my character too thin though.

Dwarf FTW.

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Rolling a boulder up a hill
    • View Profile
Re: How many dips are too many? I'm building a skilled character
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 09:06:31 PM »
I don't see the point, really. Just play a Human Lore Bard with the Urchin background for all your skill monkey needs. Now you have 9 skills and 2 good tools. You get half-proficiency to any ability checks you don't already get a proficiency bonus on (so yes, initiative and counterspells now get half a proficiency bonus), and you can cast Enhance Ability for advantage on ability checks of your choice, and later you can even add a bardic inspiration die to your ability checks.

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 02:04:47 PM »
Either dip would probably be ok, but probably not both. It leaves you too far behind on spell levels.

The cleric level is nice for Guidance (and Bless) and rounds out your cantrips well. You don't really need them, but it fits the bard playstyle very well.

I'm not a huge fan of the rogue dip, because it always kills spell slots and levels. But the SA die can be handy once in a while.

I'd just stick to the cleric dip or stay mono. Either is good to play.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 04:04:10 PM »
Rogue 1 / Lore X , is up 2 skills on straight Lore.
Even though Caelic's Commandments were previous edition, mostly tongue in cheek ...

Personally I'm tempted with Know Cleric 2, but that's rather campaign + DM dependent.
Dip with Mystic , one of those n'th detailed tasty trinkets, works about the same.

If you have lengthy down-time possible, a Bard build that goes
Cha +2 , Cha +2 , then thinks about the Skilled Feat , is colliding
with training in new skills for cheap, relative to 12th level moneys.
Skilled feat is strictly an early game thing.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline NumberKruncher

• Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 04:13:57 PM »
As a bard I'm ok with using Jack of All Trades to cover unskilled stuff, it's the expertise that really attracts me to both dips.

If I had to choose between cleric and rogue, I think cleric is the better choice. I get better armor, a shield, and the spells are better than no spells.
Dwarf FTW.

Offline Delicate Swarm

• Lurker
  • Get some!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 05:00:51 AM »
Be a Life Cleric 1/ Lore Bard x and take Aura of Vitality at Bard 6.  Now you are a great skill monkey and healer.

With Guidance + Jack of all trades you should be fine on skills.  Throw in some warlock for blastiness.