"Hence it comes that all armed prophets have been victorious, and all unarmed prophets have been destroyed. For, besides the things that have been said, the nature of peoples is variable; and it is easy to persuade them of something, but difficult to keep them in that persuasion. And thus things must be ordered in such a mode that when they no longer believe, one can make them believe by force."
- Niccolo Machiavelli: The Prince
Welcome to the Sohei, an obscure base class from 3.0 Oriental Adventures. It got a half-hearted 3.5 upgrade in Dragon Magazine #318, but has since not been acknowledged by WotC in the official 1st party books, unlike many other OA base classes like the Shugenja, the Samurai or the Wu Jen.
You are a primary martial, but with only a medium BAB and without the maneuvres that made the Swordsage viable despite that handicap.
You are a divine half-caster like the Paladin, but without the splatbook support to make your casting still viable, such as through Battle Blessing.
You are one of the last base classes in 3.5 - along with the Factotum and the Expert - to have the 3.0 Iaijutsu Focus as a class skill, but your major class feature makes it impossible to use it, along with your meager spellcasting.
If you know half a thing about CO, you must by now realize that you are in for a wild ride with a terrible, conflicting, self-defeating class, and you are perfectly right. Bear with me as we try to salvage this wreck as best as we can.Color SchemeRed
- An extremely weak option, or one that could even leave you worse than you werePurple
- An sub-optimal option. You should generally avoid it, but it can sometimes be made to work or good for flavour.Black
- An average option. You don't do terribly if you go with it, but neither is it particularly good.Blue
- A good option. You generally do well to get it.Gold
- An option so good that you shouldn't pass it up ever.Table Of Contents1. Class Features2. Ability Scores / Skills3. Races / Templates4. Feats5. Spells6. Multi-Classing (Break-Off Points / Base Classes / Prestige Classes)7. Partial Gestalt8. Items9. Sample Builds