Hit Dice: 25d8+200 (312 hp)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 30 (–2 size, –2 Dex, +24 natural), touch 6, flat-footed 30
Base Attack/Grapple: +18/+37
Attack: Slam +28 melee (2d6+11/19–20)
Full Attack: 4 slams +28 melee (2d6+11/19–20)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Impale, improved grab, thorn volley, trample 2d6+16
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, plant traits, resistance to electricity 20 and fire 20, thorn field
Saves: Fort +22, Ref +6, Will +10
Abilities: Str 32, Dex 6, Con 27, Int 5, Wis 10, Cha 7
Skills: Hide +18*
Feats: Awesome Blow, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (slam), Improved Natural Attack (slam), Iron Will, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (slam)
Environment: Temperate forests
Challenge Rating: 15
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: 26–50 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: —
This six-legged lionlike creature has a body made of writhing vines and thorns. Each of its gorillalike pairs of limbs is slightly shorter than the pair in front of it—its forelimbs are the longest, the middle pair of limbs slightly shorter, and its rear pair of legs the shortest of all. Long thorns protrude from every part of the creature’s body, making it seem impossible to approach or move around the creature without risking serious injury.
|1st||+1||+2||+0||+0||Plant Body, Battle Path, Natural Skill, Thorns 1d6||5||1st||1|
|2nd||+2||+3||+0||+0||Graft, Sundering Siege||6||1st||2|
|3rd||+3||+3||+1||+1||Natural Stride, Thorns 2d6||8||1st||3|
|7th||+7||+5||+2||+2||??, Thorns 4d6||20||3rd||7|
|9th||+9||+6||+3||+3||Disease Immunity, Thorns 5d6||28||3rd||9|
|12th||+12||+8||+3||+3||Greater Natural Stride||48||4th||12|
|13th||+13||+8||+4||+4||????, Thorns 7d6||56||5th||13|
|14th||+14||+9||+4||+4||Greater Tree Stride||64||5th||14|
Skills: Autohypnosis (Con), Balance (Dex), Climb (Dex), Concentration (Con), Craft (Poisons) (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Martial Lore (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str)
Skill Points equal to 4+Int skills (*4 at 1st level for 3.5)
The Battlebriar loses all other racial bonuses and gains the following traits:
- 8-sided Hit Dice.
- +1 Con, -2 Int at 1st level & +1 Con at each odd level.
- +1 Con at odd levels and further Ability Score improvements are determined by Battle Path
- Medium size
- Low-light vision.
- Natural Armor equal to HD; not proficient with any armor
- Unlike most plants, as it's made to do battle, it gains a FULL Base Attack Bonus
- You gain Natural Attacks according to your Battle Path.
- Proficient with natural weapons only.
- Resist Electric & Cold equal to 2+HD
- Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects), sleep effects, paralysis, and stunning.
- Not subject to critical hits.
- Unlike normal plants, Subject (NOT immune) to poisons, polymorph, Sneak Attack, and Skirmish effects.
- Plants breathe and eat, but do not sleep.
Battlebriars gain power points, Powers Known, and have a Maximum Power Level according to the table above. For any unaddressed concerns, this class (mostly) follows the Psychic Warrior class
Battlebriars are magically skilled. It gains full ranks (updated every level) in its choice of 2 following skills: Craft (poisons), Intimidate, Knowledge (Architecture), or Martial Lore. Furthermore, it may apply its Constitution Modifier to these chosen skills.
Thorns: Level 1
- Grip of Iron
- Inertial Armor
- Metaphysical Weapon
- Mind Shards*
- Precognition, Defensive
Level 3Level 4
- Damp Power (Complete Psionics)
- Dimension Swap
- Energy Adaptation, Specified (SRD)
- Power Claws (Complete Psionic)
- Strength of my Enemy
- Dimension Door, Psionic (Complete Psionics)
- Energy Adaptation
- Steadfast Perception
- Stygian Disruption
- Adapt Body
- Tendriled Discorporation*
- Perfect Riposte (Complete Psionics)
- Stomp, Greater
- Dispelling Buffer
- Ethereal Jaunt, Psionic
- Form of Doom
- Mind Blank, Personal
- Rage of the Remorhaz (Complete Psionic)
- Restoration, Psionic
Battlebriars are spiny, thorny creatures, so engaging them in close combat is painful at best. Whenever they are succesfully grappled or hit in melee combat by a natural weapon or unarmed strike, battlebriars deal their Thorns damage to that creature. These Thorns can be used to greater effect by other briars of other Battle Paths.Battle Path:
The Battlebriar must choose a Battle Path; this adds to its Ability Scores, gives options for its Thorns effect, and adds periodic improvements.Hooked (Str)
: The Hooked Battlebriar gains powerful melee abilities.
- It gains +1 Str at even levels; at level 15, the Battlebriar Titan will have -2 Int, +7 Str and +8 Con.
- It starts with two primary Slam attacks, each dealing 1d6+Str damage.
- It also starts with Natural Armor Spikes that deals its Thorns damage when maintaining a grapple.
- Your Manifesting stat is your choice of Int, Wis, or Cha.
: The Dashing Battlebriar focuses on speed and ranged attacks.
- +1 Dex at even levels; at level 15, the Dashing Battlebriar will have -2 Int, +7 Dex and +8 Con.
- You gain a Natural Tail Spike, dealing your Thorns + Dex damage. This Tail Spike starts with a 120' range. You may attack at melee range with no penalty.
- Gains +10' move.
- Your Manifesting stat is your choice of Int, Wis, or Cha. This selection remains fixed.
Beginning at second level the Battlebriar can mend some of its own wounds; it gains a healing pool equal to 2* its HD * its Con modifier, and you can spread this healing out among several uses. This healing may also be used to heal other creatures of the Plant type.Sundering Siege:
Originally created as siege weapons, Battlebriars excel at breaking barriers. Natural Weapons it uses to make Sunder attacks bypasses Hardness and also applies Thorns damage to these attacks. Natural Stride (Ex):
At 3rd level, the Battlebriar gains Trackless Step
and Woodland Stride
.Tree Walker (Sp):
Beginning at 6th level, the Battlebriar gains Tree Stride
, as a spell-like ability, 1/day per 2 HD. Its caster level = its HD.
At 14th level, the Battlebriar replaces this ability with Greater Tree Stride
, which allows it to travel 1 mile per 500 feet it would normally be able to travel with Tree Stride (thus, it may travel up to 6 miles to an oak/ash/yew tree).Natural Force (Ex):
At 8th level, the Battlebriar can overpower [Force] effects. Any attack the Battlebriar makes or Power it manifests bypasses any [Force] effect, including spells such as Wind Wall
.Greater Natural Stride (Ex):
At 12th level, the Battlebriar ignores any terrain penalties, even magically-altered terrain, including movement penalties and damage effects from terrain. Furthermore, the Battlebriar gains a +10 bonus to resist any [Divination] or [Scry] effect targeting it, and adds +10 to any Survival check intended to track it. Finally, it may choose to break Force effects--instead of bypassing them--as if were able to cast Disintegrate