Author Topic: Voyeur [3.5 prc for the Astronomer]  (Read 5952 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Voyeur [3.5 prc for the Astronomer]
« on: August 11, 2013, 10:08:38 PM »
VOYEUR

Image credit: ~MattHunX (Deviantart)

some fluff text here

While most astronomers live in the spotlight, celebrities who know the movement of the heavenly bodies, some steal away into the spaces between atoms and photons, sneaking phenomena behind their opponents' eyes.

BECOMING A VOYEUR
A Voyeur is an Astronomer who has learned some quantum.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Skills: Knowledge (the Planes) 8 ranks, Spot 8 ranks, Sleight of Hand 4 ranks
Skill Tricks: Any 1
Feats: Any Quantum feat
Observing: Ability to have at least 2 Inferior Conjunctions active simultaneously
Special: Ability to focus on a Constellation
Special: Sneak attack +1d6

Class Skills
The Voyeur's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Disable Device (Int), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Tumble (Dex), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skills Points at Each Level: 6 + int

Hit Dice: d8

Level
Base
Attack
Bonus

Fort
Save

Ref
Save

Will
Save

Special

Observing
1st +0 +0+2+2Conjunction theft, sneak attack +1d6, star charts+1 level of existing observing class
2nd +1 +0+3+3Quantum technique+1 level of existing observing class
3rd +2 +1+3+3Resonating waveform+1 level of existing observing class
4th +3 +1+4+4Quantum technique, sneak attack +2d6+1 level of existing observing class
5th +3 +1+4+4Bonus Quantum feat
6th +4 +2+5+5Quantum technique+1 level of existing observing class
7th +5 +2+5+5Sneak attack +3d6+1 level of existing observing class
8th +6 +2+6+6Quantum technique+1 level of existing observing class
9th +6 +3+6+6Improved conjunction theft+1 level of existing observing class
10th+7 +3+7+7Quantum technique, sneak attack +4d6+1 level of existing observing class

Weapon Proficiencies: A Voyeur is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light and medium armor, and shields.

Conjunction theft (Su): When you enter this class, you learn the most fundamental skill a Voyeur needs to operate: that of stealing Conjunctions from your opponents for use with your Quantum feats. Whenever you would be able to sneak attack a creature (even if that creature is normally immune to precision damage), you may forego the extra damage to make a Sleight of Hand check (DC 20) as a free action. If you are successful, you gain a Waveform (essentially a Conjunction in potentia). The next time you observe a phenomenon in the encounter modified by a Quantum feat, you may collapse the Waveform, using it to take the place of one additional Inferior Conjunction required by the Quantum feat. (If the Quantum modification requires the deactivation of additional Conjunctions, the Waveform supplies one of those as well.) You may only have one Waveform at a time, and my only apply a single Waveform to any given phenomenon. Any Waveforms you have stored dissipate at the end of the encounter.

Sneak attack: At 1st level, and every 3 levels after, your sneak attack damage increases by +1d6.

Star Charts: You add your Voyeur class level to your Astronomer levels for the purposes of determining the abilities and conjunctions you gain from your focused Constellation.

Observing: At each level except 5th, you gain an increase in Phenomena known and Observer level as if you had gained a level of an Observing class in which you had levels before entering this prestige class. You also increase your effective Astronomer level for the purposes of determining the number of Inferior Conjunctions you may have active at a given time. This does not grant you additional class features or any other benefits you would have gained from levels of that class.

Quantum technique (Su): You are a master of microscopic probabilities. Beginning at 2nd level, and every even level after, you learn one of the abilities listed below.

Quantum Techniques:
(click to show/hide)

Resonating waveform (Su): Starting at 3rd level, you can use a stolen Waveform on any phenomenon you observe within a number of rounds equal to your Intelligence modifier before it dissipates (instead of being limited to the next phenomenon you observe).

Bonus Quantum feat: At 5th level, you gain a bonus Quantum feat for which you meet the prerequisites.

Improved conjunction theft: When you reach 9th level, your thievery reaches new heights of observation. You can store one Waveform per 5 ranks of Knowledge (the Planes) you have, and may use up to 2 Waveforms per phenomenon.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 05:14:45 PM by sirpercival »
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Voyeur [3.5 prc for the Astronomer]
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 10:14:32 PM »
... you have a class with quantum techniques, and yet you haven't included Schrodinger in some form? I'm almost horrified. D:

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 10:23:22 PM »
... you have a class with quantum techniques, and yet you haven't included Schrodinger in some form? I'm almost horrified. D:
Schrödinger is in the main class, as is Heisenberg :)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 10:26:06 PM »

Ah, would make sense. Is Oppenheimer, seeing as you appear to have the rest of the Manhattan Project over here?

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 10:31:03 PM »

Ah, would make sense. Is Oppenheimer, seeing as you appear to have the rest of the Manhattan Project over here?
Oppenheimer has less of a direct role in QM, as it happens.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 10:32:53 PM »

You sure you can't think of a way to bring in the guy in charge of the BIG BOOM? O:

Pf, this is the first proper Physics discussion I've had since May, discounting arguing with people about the correct use of kelvin. And it's basically just about names. XD

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 10:46:46 PM »

You sure you can't think of a way to bring in the guy in charge of the BIG BOOM? O:

Pf, this is the first proper Physics discussion I've had since May, discounting arguing with people about the correct use of kelvin. And it's basically just about names. XD
I'd be happy to have a physics discussion with you anytime, though my knowledge becomes rather shallow the further we move from astronomy.

And, I had intended to write 10 techniques, but I could add more I suppose. Ideas for an RJO technique?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 10:54:18 PM »

I'd be happy to have a physics discussion with you anytime, though my knowledge becomes rather shallow the further we move from astronomy.

And, I had intended to write 10 techniques, but I could add more I suppose. Ideas for an RJO technique?
Your knowledge is probably about equal to mine in most areas, it's not as if I've ever gone into enormous detail in anything.

Unfortunately, I'm not really sure on the mechanics of the class, so all I can think of is something do do with sickening or nauseating (radiation sickness? Maybe that would be Vile Damage or something?) or making things go BOOM.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 11:41:41 PM »
Is it intended for the Voyeur to not progress maximum active inferior conjunctions? I would hope not!

Given that you already have to dip out for a level to gain the requisite Sneak Attack, I think 8/10 or even 9/10 progression would be fair, and the first level should probably progress your observing. Given that Sneak Attack is rather asynergistic with observing (only Meteor Shower can benefit from it) and the Astronomer chassis (Wizard without the combat monster buff spells), a 10/10 progression (which is still effectively only 10/11) is very reasonable. Likewise, you can probably progress star charts at all levels, rather than all but the first 2 (which seems a bit odd when you consider that you're progressing two related primary class features of the same class at different rates and at different levels).

Now that you're making other homebrew to work with the Astronomer, you should collect the link(s) somewhere.

On a tangentially related note, have you had a chance to look at the hopefully-finished version of the PoC/Astronomer PrC I discussed with you back in May, Sirp?

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 07:35:41 AM »
Is it intended for the Voyeur to not progress maximum active inferior conjunctions? I would hope not!
Not at all. But max inferior conjunction is determined by OL. It's only separated for the Practiced Observer feat, everything else has the two intertwined.

Given that you already have to dip out for a level to gain the requisite Sneak Attack, I think 8/10 or even 9/10 progression would be fair, and the first level should probably progress your observing. Given that Sneak Attack is rather asynergistic with observing (only Meteor Shower can benefit from it) and the Astronomer chassis (Wizard without the combat monster buff spells), a 10/10 progression (which is still effectively only 10/11) is very reasonable. Likewise, you can probably progress star charts at all levels, rather than all but the first 2 (which seems a bit odd when you consider that you're progressing two related primary class features of the same class at different rates and at different levels).
I can do that, though I'd need a new L3 class feature... I'll see what I can come up with.

Now that you're making other homebrew to work with the Astronomer, you should collect the link(s) somewhere.
Yeah, that's probably a good idea. I have another PrC finished as well (a gish), which will be ported over here as soon as the contest closes.

On a tangentially related note, have you had a chance to look at the hopefully-finished version of the PoC/Astronomer PrC I discussed with you back in May, Sirp?
I have not, but I shall.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 04:05:55 PM »
Not at all. But max inferior conjunction is determined by OL. It's only separated for the Practiced Observer feat, everything else has the two intertwined.

It's based on class level, not observer level.
Conjunctions reset at the beginning and end of each encounter, and you can have a maximum number of Inferior Conjunctions equal to half your class level (rounded down, minimum 1) active at any given time
... and the Voyeur Observing ability does not progress conjunctions, only phenomena and observer level.

I can do that, though I'd need a new L3 class feature... I'll see what I can come up with.

Maybe the ability to store Waveforms so you don't have to use them only on your immediate next phenomenon?

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 04:11:05 PM »

It's based on class level, not observer level.
Conjunctions reset at the beginning and end of each encounter, and you can have a maximum number of Inferior Conjunctions equal to half your class level (rounded down, minimum 1) active at any given time
... and the Voyeur Observing ability does not progress conjunctions, only phenomena and observer level.
Welp.

Maybe the ability to store Waveforms so you don't have to use them only on your immediate next phenomenon?
Oh, yeah.  I think that's a good idea, esp. given the L9 ability... lol.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 04:20:25 PM »

Oh, yeah.  I think that's a good idea, esp. given the L9 ability... lol.

The duration of storage isn't the issue. They already last until the end of the encounter. The problem is that their usage only applies on the next phenomenon you observe, so you can't save waveforms for later, even if that first phenomenon isn't even modified with quantum feats.