I'm trying to write something on optimizing turning and rebuking and running into a couple of different problems. Note that here I'm talking about actually optimizing turning and rebuking
, not figuring out ways to spend turn/rebuke attempts on something else.
1) The existing discussions of turning aren't structured well and aren't comprehensive. The Comprehensive Guide to Turning, http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/979911?page=1
has been mangled by WotC's multiple board changes and wasn't well-organized or complete to start with. I've filled in some of its holes with the 3.5 Cleric Handbook, http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1238
, and some GitP threads, http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106249
. Are there better resources I haven't found? What abilities that help you turn creatures with more HD, turn more HD worth of creatures, or turn more types of creatures are there that I haven't already found? (See the lists below and my second question for what I already have.)
Bonuses to Cha checks: Circlet of persuasion, admiral’s bicorne (St 131), marshal’s (MH 12-13) motivate charisma aura, Nymph’s Kiss (BE 44).
Turn other kinds of creatures:
• Air, domain: turn earth creatures, rebuke air creatures.
• Earth, domain: turn air creatures, rebuke earth creatures.
• Fire, domain: turn water creatures, rebuke fire creatures.
• Water, domain: turn fire creatures, rebuke water creatures.
• Plant, domain: rebuke plants.
• Cold (SC 271), domain: turn fire creatures, rebuke cold creatures.
• Moon (SC 277), domain: turn lycanthropes.
• Scalykind (SC 279), domain: rebuke reptiles.
• Spider (SC 280), domain: rebuke spiders.
• Slime (SC 280), domain: rebuke oozes.
• Thirst (Sa 108), domain: rebuke oozes.
Turn resistance reduction: Rod of defiance (LM 78), lyre of the restful soul (LM 79).
2) The rules for turning are... not well-written. I'd like to poll other people's interpretations of the rules for the following bonuses, asking two questions about each. Does it apply to turning, rebuking, or both? Does it apply to all
turning checks, including turning of creatures with air/earth/fire/water subtypes from the elemental domains and other similar forms of turning, or only to turning (or rebuking, or both) undead? I've provided web links to the exact wordings or copied them where there's no web link I'm aware of.
Improved Turning: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedTurning
Extra Turning: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#extraTurning
Phylactery of undead turning: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#phylacteryofUndeadTurning
Glory domain: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/domains.htm#gloryDomain
Knowledge (religion): http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/knowledge.htm
Empower Turning (CD 81, LM 26): http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-divine--56/empower-turning--854/
Heighten Turning (LM 27): http://dndtools.eu/feats/libris-mortis-the-book-of-the-dead--71/heighten-turning--1376/
Quicken Turning (CD 84, LM 29): http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-divine--56/quicken-turning--2339/
Light of faith (CCe 123): http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-champion--57/light-of-faith--588/
Light of purity (CC 123-124): http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-champion--57/light-of-purity--589/
Light of wisdom (CCe 124): http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-champion--57/light-of-wisdom--590/
Paragnostic apostle’s (CCe 94-96) see through the veil: http://dndtools.eu/classes/paragnostic-apostle/
Scepter of the netherworld (LM 78): "Anyone who holds the rod and has the power to turn or rebuke undead is treated as if three levels higher than his actual level when he uses his turning or rebuking power."
Sacred (BE 112): "A suit of armor or a shield with this quality assists only wearers who have the ability to turn or rebuke undead. Sacred armor or a sacred shield increases the owner’s effective level for the turning check by +2."
Ephod of authority (MIC 215): "While wearing an ephod of authority, your effective cleric level is treated as one higher than your actual level for the purpose of turning (but not rebuking or
Talisman of undead mastery (MIC 188): "A talisman of undead mastery benefits any character capable of either turning or rebuking undead. The talisman has
3 charges, which are renewed each day at dawn. Spending 1 or more charges increases your effective cleric level for the purpose of a single turn or rebuke undead check, which must be made before the end of your turn.
1 charge: Increase effective turning level by 2.
2 charges: Increase effective turning level by 3.
3 charges: Increase effective turning level by 4."
Nightstick (LM 78): "Anyone who possesses the rod and is able to turn or rebuke undead gains four more uses of the ability per day."
Reliquary holy symbol (MIC 120): "As the repository of a tiny fragment of a long-dead high priest of a particular deity, a reliquary holy symbol functions just like any other holy symbol. In addition, for each of the following prerequisites that you meet, the holy symbol grants you one additional daily use of your turn or rebuke undead ability.
• At least 5 ranks in Knowledge
• Improved Turning feat
• At least one divine feat (CD 77)"