Author Topic: Demonhive (Demonet Swarm, Demonhive Attendant, and Demonhive Queen)  (Read 5393 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Demonet Swarm

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 06:51:42 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Demonhive (Demonet Swarm)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 09:09:33 AM »
This also allows an Demonet Swarm to fully benefit from  magic items by equipping them on one of it's members. Of course, the item needs to be custom crafted for tiny size, meaning it costs double, but cannot be targeted by opponents as the hellwasp equipped with it is always covered by hundreds of its brethren. A Demonet swarm can also drink and receive the benefits of a potion by sharing it between all its members.

This isn't a hellwasp. :p

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 08:52:24 PM »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMG I WANTED A DEMONHIVE AND I GOT A DEMONHIVE

These lil' buddies are like my favorite swarms ever~
Needs a queen D:
Oh it'd be sweet to play with a queen PC. But moreso I'm going to be using these in my own game. Its pretty Hellpocalypse-y and it was so much fun when I threw literally hundreds of mobs that are a full Demonhive at a party of 3rd-4th level characters and having them barely win by the skin of their teeth (and with a player kamikaze-ing himself on the queen to win it with a bag full of grenades) :D

These are already lookin' like a great and better base to more easily pump up for a higher level party to bring about a new challenge with an old enemy :3

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 02:50:00 AM »
Very cool.

Based on the link, it looks like it gains immunity to weapon damage at 1st level.  I think I'd make that 1/2 damage, which then later on promotes to immunity at a later level ...

Best,
David

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 04:04:08 AM »
Very cool.

Based on the link, it looks like it gains immunity to weapon damage at 1st level.  I think I'd make that 1/2 damage, which then later on promotes to immunity at a later level ...

Best,
David

Nah, how weapons effect swarms is based on the swarm's size. This has the demonet swarm as Tiny sized and Tiny sized swarms are only 1/2 damage from slashing and piercing weapons (full damage with bludgeoning).
It is Diminutive sized swarms that are immune to weapon damage.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Demonhive (Demonet Swarm, Demonhive Attendant, and Demonhive Queen)
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 11:55:38 AM »
Added Queen and Attendant to the first post.

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 01:30:46 PM »
I like both of the new additions quite a bit. The Attendant is particularly intriguing to me. Is it intended that the Queen's screech affect her fellow party members, including her swarms and attendants?

EDIT: Would it be considered a viable strategy for the Queen to inflict minimal damage upon herself in a round to trigger the abilities of the Attendant?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 02:05:10 PM by Rakoa »
The Paladin Code: Detect Evil, Smite it, ask questions later.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 03:21:27 AM »
A Demonhive Attendant whose original queen has died can pick a new female creature to serve as its new queen with a 8 hour bonding ritual.

This line is a  very interesting way to attach Attendants to non-Demonhive Queens. Like, opening them up as possible animal companions or cohorts or stuff like that.

Edit: Totally missed the Comments spoiler saying that was the intent  :lmao
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 03:26:13 AM by ketaro »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 06:56:21 AM »
I like both of the new additions quite a bit. The Attendant is particularly intriguing to me. Is it intended that the Queen's screech affect her fellow party members, including her swarms and attendants?
The swarms, attendants and queen are all immune to sonic damage. Added clause for the queen to be able to reduce max radius if she feels like don't turning other allies into food for her children.

EDIT: Would it be considered a viable strategy for the Queen to inflict minimal damage upon herself in a round to trigger the abilities of the Attendant?
The bonus isn't that big, and you'll need at least a standard action to hurt yourself, so I could see situatons where it's viable (the queen has nothing else to do this round because she's slow and has no ranged attacks), but not any where it's OP. Also it makes sense for evil creatures to go all emo and slice their wrists for power and stuff. :p

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 07:24:51 AM »
The bonus isn't that big, and you'll need at least a standard action to hurt yourself, so I could see situatons where it's viable (the queen has nothing else to do this round because she's slow and has no ranged attacks), but not any where it's OP. Also it makes sense for evil creatures to go all emo and slice their wrists for power and stuff. :p

She bleeds beeeeeeeeeees!!