Background: In the past with several DMs i managed to argue that being Lawful didn't necessarily mean they followed the law of the land. But instead followed a personal code of conduct. In an upcoming game I am playing a rogue (BoFühr Deepláger) and I said this to our new DM and he said fine but i want you to specifically define saw code.
Question: I need a good set of rules but one that allows me general wiggle room. The code is like in movies and such where the super bad hitman says "i don't kill women or children"
What i have come up with is below, but it has several contradictions that i want to smooth out. Also some of them are worded more like mental state/view vs a code. if possible change them to code like wording. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.
1. Never show emotion Be efficient, professional, and always have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
2. Forsake all relatives
3. Do not harm children
4. If it can be moved, it can be stolen
5. It ain’t illegal unless you get caught.
6. Anyone not an known/willing accomplice is a mark
7. Confidence is Key; act as though you know, even if you don’t
8. Do not steal/rip off other thieves… blatantly
9. Always look out for yourself above all others
10. Never be in debt to others, pay your debts promptly
11. Any promise/word given to a mark is considered void once the mark has lost usefulness
12. Never renege on a job after accepting payment, unless it violates rule #9
13. A known thief is a dead thief, reputation is everything. Be known for by your work, not your looks/name.