Author Topic: Mice in a Maze  (Read 6847 times)

Offline Sohala

  • Honorary Mod
  • *****
  • Posts: 661
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: Mice in a Maze
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2012, 03:10:12 PM »
Death by acid... clearly a stratagem comprised by the most twisted of minds. 

Chauser checks for the traps.  All of them

Search: 1d20+5=22



He moves up until he retakes his place within the middle of the group(H or I 16), about 10 or so feet behind Frank and Chauser.



Galon follows the rest of the group, taking a place near the front of the group (H/I 17 should be fine)



As Chauser is carefully scanning the floors and walls, another whoosh sounds, and an arrow goes flying right by his head. When it strikes the wall, the arrows deforms, and starts sliding down the wall, leaving no mark behind. The air now smells even stronger of acid.

With the trap having fired again, Chauser is able to locate a small, blackened hole in the north wall.



Dalanath looks puzzled.  "What's going on?"



"Uh, I tink da wall is shootin acid at us!"
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

  • Honorary Mod
  • *****
  • Posts: 661
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: Mice in a Maze
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2012, 07:02:52 PM »
Chauser stuffs a candle down the hole.  Wax is, as everyone knows, very acid resistant.



(click to show/hide)

As you walk through the door, you see there are even more barrels within this room, but these have nails sticking out from the top. Along with the barrels, that are lining the wall, there are crates with tools, and coils of rope in the room.



"Wow!  Good tinkin!"



Chauser takes 10 searching the barrels for 15, thereby neglecting the chance of doing a barrel roll.



You found nothing but alot of rusty nails.
(click to show/hide)



Amazing!  A pile of barrels in a dungeon that aren't full of valuables or explosives!  Practically a first!  A monograph on this will make me hundreds, provided I can convince my editor it's nonfiction.



(click to show/hide)

Suddenly an unmistakable warcry echoes through the passage, “You die now!” After that you can hear the sounds of combat.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

  • Honorary Mod
  • *****
  • Posts: 661
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: Mice in a Maze
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2012, 07:15:24 PM »
Which way is it coming from?

(click to show/hide)



(click to show/hide)



"I tink we should check it out, guys.  If nothin else, we know dere are other guys over dere dat will likely try to kill us later."



Let's see who they're fighting, and kill off the evil side.



Dalanath looks at the others.  "Are we going to go or shall we stand here examining the barrels some more?"



Frank just takes a deep breath and heads back the way we came.



Let's see who they're fighting, and kill off the evil side.
"I don't wanna get all philosophical, but if only six of us can leave, one of our groups is gonna have to die."

Terek follows Frank, about 20 feet behind.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

  • Honorary Mod
  • *****
  • Posts: 661
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: Mice in a Maze
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2012, 10:01:09 PM »
The den of combat reaches a peek and then suddenly goes quite, after a few heavy thuds.

As the room comes into sight, you first see an axe in front of the door; it has some ichor on it. Within the room are the bodies of two of the orcs, and a few small misshapen lumps. There is also a blood trail leading into the room with the dead orc you have already seen.



Chauser sneaks up, and listens to the door with his listening cone.  Then, if he doesn't hear signs he was spotted, bursts in abruptly

(click to show/hide)



You are able to hear some crunching, snapping and dripping.



Danus follows, staying at his usual spot within the party, about 10 or so feet behind Frank. Blue eyes scanning about the remains of the carnage they just heard before his attention snaps to Chauser and the door.



Galon falls in rank just behind Chauser (and Frank, who I assume is also at the front). He quickly checks his beads to see if anything else has happened.



Dalanath follows fifteen feet behind whoever is leading, he really isn't paying attention to who that is..



Chauser gestures to the party towards the door, counts down from three on his fingers, then jumps in, hoping to catch the orc-eating-thing by surprise.



Frank will be the first through the door. Hoping the trail even he could follow wasn't a setup.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

  • Honorary Mod
  • *****
  • Posts: 661
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: Mice in a Maze
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
Terek makes sure the doorway is clear.  If it is, he goes through, but holds back ten to twenty feet behind Frank.



Danus enters the doorway after Frank and Chauser have made it through, right hand firmly holding his heavy mace at the ready.



As before there is an orc corpse in the room, beside it is a blood trail leading into the, as of yet, unexplored room.

Moving far enough in allows you to see in the room, you see what appears to be a stalactite on the wall, and it appears to have the missing orc pinned between it and the wall. As of yet it does not notice you.

(click to show/hide)



(click to show/hide)



(click to show/hide)



Holy shit a darkmantle (a common flying descendant of the black pudding that has evolved a more solid form and tentacles which attacks by suffocating its prey in deadly surprise attacks)!
says Chauser all in one breath.* 

Then he charges forward, sleight of handing a dagger into hand, and stabs it.  No oozekin will remain alive on his watch.

STAB!

To hit:1d20+1=18
His inner ki (and hatred of these aberrations), peaks, resulting in an incredible display of death-dealing focus
IF check: 1d20+6=26 + 4d6 damage!
Damage 1d4+4d6-1=12

(click to show/hide)



Dalanath moves forward to get a better look at what's going on.  "What, are we fighting something?" 

(click to show/hide)



Danus moves up beside Frank, facing the doorway with mace and shield held at the ready.

(click to show/hide)
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

  • Honorary Mod
  • *****
  • Posts: 661
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: Mice in a Maze
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2012, 02:39:42 PM »
(click to show/hide)

As Chauser enters the room, another creature attacks from above.

(click to show/hide)

The darkmantle on the wall is skewered good, releasing its grip on the orc and collapsing to the ground.



Chauser fights off the attempt at strangulation with aplomb.

(click to show/hide)



If Terek takes a five-foot-step to U-17 (in line with the door), can he shoot at the creature on orc 1 (in J-17)?

If so, he shoots at it, using Channeled Shock (+1d6+1 electric damage): (Attack Roll, base damage, electric damage) (1d20+7=12, 1d6=1, 1d6+1=2)



(click to show/hide)

The shot lands a deep hit on new arrvial, but it is still standing floating.



Frank will approach cautiously. with wild abandon (double move charge to K18)
1d20+6=21, 1d10+3=11



The darkmantle crumples to the ground after being cleaning cleaved in two.



Well, that was straightforward.  Ethical crisis now solved, time to honor the spirits of the departed by removing any worldly possessions that would chain them to this life.

Chauser starts looting examining the bodies for particularly spiritually damaging items.  (Take 10 for 15)
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

  • Honorary Mod
  • *****
  • Posts: 661
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: Mice in a Maze
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2012, 02:54:54 PM »
Danus moves into the middle of the room where the combat just ended, before inquiring "Is anyone injured after that?" His eyes scanning about the room before focusing upon the closed door. Securing his heavy mace near his left hip.

(click to show/hide)



As you examine the bodies you discover a few weapons, some armor, and a small amount of coins. The closer inspection of the orcs show they were in bad shape, if the darkmantles hadn't killed them, there is a question of how long they would have actually lived. You notice that the first darkmantle is missing three tentacles while the other is missing only one.

(click to show/hide)



Chauser takes the gold, and definitely does not taste the water.  When one's sworn enemies are made of fluids and cannot tolerate alcohol, drinking from an insufficiently fermented source is highly inadvisable.

Well, if we can't bury them we can at least give them a Tanarukk funeral.  They weren't bad, for orks.

Chauser makes preparations to set the corpses on fire.  He saves the less damaged darkmantle body for later use.



Chauser I don't know who built these tunnels but if it wasn't dwarves they likely didn't build in enough ventilation to make a fire that won't suffocate us all.



In that case we'd all have suffocated in that flash fire a few minutes back



"Da flash fire didn't make lotsa smoke, either."



Orcs tend to be smokey and oily so they will likely cause a bit more than some old cloth. But hey if you want to burn them go ahead, just remember no matter how much you may think it should burning orc doesn't smell like bacon.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

  • Honorary Mod
  • *****
  • Posts: 661
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: Mice in a Maze
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2012, 02:57:34 PM »
Dalanath moves to join the leaders of their group.  "What's the hold up?  Burn them if you want, but I don't want to stick around to smell it."



just remember no matter how much you may think it should burning orc doesn't smell like bacon.
"No it doesn't.  Doesn't taste like bacon, either... I said dat out loud, didn't I?

Yeah, let's get going.  Shall we check out da next room?"




Chauser finishes the fire, then checks the next door for traps.

(click to show/hide)



(click to show/hide)



Chauser sticks the darkmantle corpse on the pole, then uses the squid-on-a-stick to open the door.



The room appears to be empty, but there is an open door at the other end of the room.

(click to show/hide)



Next room, same procedure

(click to show/hide)



I just need to confirm everyones looting...
Chauser - mantle corpse + 6.24.75 coinage
(click to show/hide)
"Hey guys.  Did we loot da other two orcs?"
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

  • Honorary Mod
  • *****
  • Posts: 661
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: Mice in a Maze
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2012, 03:00:20 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Your caution bears fruit, Galon hears some odd chittering coming from the next room.



Terek isn't interested in any of those things.  He heads into the empty room at I-17, in line with the door for shooting.



Galon suddenly halts "Wait, I just heard something from the next room. Sounds...like a giant bug of some kind, I think. Know anything else that chitters?"
(click to show/hide)



Dalanath ponders.  "I don't know what makes any kind of noise, noises are irrelevant.  I don't hear anything anyway."  However, he still moves to stand in the corner of the room as opposite the door as he can get without leaving the room the door is in.  He wants to shape something, and he can't do that without having something to fight.



Danus moves up into the middle of the room beyond the one that held the Darkmantle, keeping his usual place roughly within the center of the group.

"I'm afraid I do not know either, nor do I hear anything"

(click to show/hide)



Galon suddenly halts "Wait, I just heard something from the next room. Sounds...like a giant bug of some kind, I think. Know anything else that chitters?"
(click to show/hide)
A swarm of small, acid secreting, bugs with viscous poison and vicious mandibles.

Chauser lights a torch and wields it.

Best to be safe.

(click to show/hide)



Through the open door a mass of rats comes pouring in.

(click to show/hide)
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

  • Honorary Mod
  • *****
  • Posts: 661
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: Mice in a Maze
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2012, 03:03:46 PM »
Oh no!  The beetles have eaten a swarm of rats, and are now using their corpses as a disguise!  Curse them!  Cleanse them with fire!



"Or lightning!"

Terek focuses his energy and surrounds his arrow with lightning, and fires using Channeled Shock!

Attack roll, arrow damage, electric damage (1d20+7=10, 1d6=4, 1d6+1=7)

(click to show/hide)



The swarm separates as the arrow goes through, and then reforms.

(click to show/hide)



Chauser grabs a shining bottle of lightning off his belt, and chucks it at the rats.  It explodes with a satisfactory burst of electricity.  He moves to the side a little to spread out the group, dropping his torch as he does so.


(click to show/hide)



(click to show/hide)



Some of the rats burst into fire, others just fall over, while more still scatter, running away as fast as they can. It is clear the swarm is no more.

[Hallway]
A small skeleton, with bits of cloth and armor lies next to the wall.



The rest of the hall looks empty?  Terek moves to F 18 and peeks around the corner to see what (if anything) is around the corner:

Hide (1d20+13=16)

(click to show/hide)



The hallway with the skeleton appears as empty as can be.

To your far left is a small hallway, and an open doorway, to your right is another open doorway and a room.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

  • Honorary Mod
  • *****
  • Posts: 661
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: Mice in a Maze
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2012, 03:06:37 PM »
* hoarse whisper * "Da coast looks clear."



Chauser loots the skeleton

(click to show/hide)



The armor and cloths are ruined; they and the bones have hundreds of tiny bite marks on them.



Well, that body's useless, let's go on past the swarm!

Chauser passes through the door and takes a look around.

(click to show/hide)



Nothing appears to be out of the ordinary, for a dungeon anyways.



"Maybe we should take a look to da left before we open other doors."

Terek stands at E 10 and peeks around the corner.

Hide (1d20+13=31)



Frank just nods once. He will move to the corner at E9 and look down the hallway.



As you pass the doorway, you can see another door on the opposite end of, what appears to be a rather empty room.

You see a long hallway, but no end to it.

(click to show/hide)

As you walk down the hallway, you start to see a small room coming into view. When you get close [20ft] to it, you get a whiff of a putrid odor.



"Yeah, let's do it.  I'll go get da others."

Terek heads back to the door and motions for everyone to follow.

"Looks clear so far."



Dalanath stays fifteen feet behind the leader of the group, a little saddened that he hasn't been able to shape any constructs so far.  His mind wanders as he wonders when they will meet another group with the special beads and what that other group will be like.



Galon follows behind the group as close as he can get (probably about five feet from Frank or Chauser, since they both take the front)
(click to show/hide)
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

  • Honorary Mod
  • *****
  • Posts: 661
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: Mice in a Maze
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2012, 03:10:02 PM »
Danus follows the group, keeping his heavy mace in his hand as he remains roughly within the middle of the group as usual, about 10 or so feet behind Frank and Chauser.



The sight of a wall at the far end comes into view as you make your way down the tight hallway. As you round the corner the putrid odor is almost unbearable, and to your dismay, you discover only a head sized hole in the wall.



Yeah. I'm not sticking my head in the hole. Shall we go back or stand around enjoying this great incense.



"I'd say go back and check on of da other doors.  How about da one across from where we came?"



Yeah, that looks like a bad idea.  Let's just pretend we never saw this and go the other direction.



"Cue swarm of rats ambush."

Terek looks over his shoulder suspiciously.



"couldn't we send the spider crystal...thing to investigate the hole??



The little crystal returns from the hole, covered in sludge containing many unnamable objects, and stinking of putrid garbage.

The crystal was able to see a crack that went quite a ways, but it appeared to go only deeper.



Wow you stink little gem. I would offer you a drink for that, but you don't have a mouth. Ok, lets head back to that last door.



"You can't give it a drink, but maybe you could bathe it."

Terek follows Frank 15 feet back or so.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

  • Honorary Mod
  • *****
  • Posts: 661
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: Mice in a Maze
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2012, 03:14:43 PM »
Other than some small scraps of wood, the room is empty.

(click to show/hide)

As you are making sure the present room is clear, Terek hears a low buzzing, which is getting louder. The next thing the group knows, four tiny, flying creatures swarm into the room, one heads strait for Frank and…

(click to show/hide)

…attaches to him!

(click to show/hide)



"Gaa!  Giant mosquitoes!"

Terek fires at one that's in the air!

(click to show/hide)



(click to show/hide)

The flying creature nimbly dodges to the side of the shot.



"Grrr, you buzzard's aren't worthy of being Skarn'd! Begone!"
Galon rushes the nearest bug and stabs it repeatedly. (L6, bug 1)
(click to show/hide)



The blow connects, and the bug is now stuck on the spine.

(click to show/hide)



Dalanath decides that he wants to show off, and starts gathering his mental energies to shape ectoplasm in the form of a construct.

(click to show/hide)



No!  Frank!  If it kills him, he'll become one of them!

Chauser tries to stab the evil beast off of Frank

To hit: 1d20+4=21
Damage: 1d4+4=8

(click to show/hide)



You stab him good, detaching it from Frank, and dropping it to the floor.

One of the remaining insects goes for Frank, and the other Danus...

(click to show/hide)

...The one going for Frank attaches, but the one trying for Danus flies wide.

(click to show/hide)
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

  • Honorary Mod
  • *****
  • Posts: 661
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: Mice in a Maze
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2012, 03:16:54 PM »
Danus follows the bug which attempted to attack him, moving to it before offering a downward swing of his heavy mace with the intent of smashing it to the group to be easily stepped upon.

(click to show/hide)



All that remains of the bug is a smear on your weapon.

(click to show/hide)



Terek takes careful aim at the one attached to Frank:

(click to show/hide)



You nail it, launching it into the next room.

(click to show/hide)



Terek uses Adaptive Style to reset his maneuvers.



Dalanath stops attempting to create a construct, a little saddened.



Shit they have some big mosquito down here.



You should see the stuff that eat them. 

Chauser continues through the next door.



Save the insect Terek killed, the room is empty.

There is an open door on the far side.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

  • Honorary Mod
  • *****
  • Posts: 661
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: Mice in a Maze
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2012, 03:24:42 PM »
This room looks clear.
Chauser continues onwards through the next door, despite quite rational reasons to the contrary.



Terek moves to I-10, near the corner.

"You wanna check da door, Chauser?"

Terek readies a shot in case anything comes charging through.



There is some minor rubble scattered around the room. Most of it appears to have been shifted to somewhat funnel people coming and going.

There are two open doors at the far end.



Frank will catch up to Chauser so that he isn't alone on point.



Dalanath will try to position himself more towards the middle of the group.  He's tired of feeling useless and starts to have a hushed conversation with his psicrystal about it.



Terek will move to G7, getting ready to shoot anything that might come through either of the two doors.



Danus retakes is place about 10 or so feet behind Frank, heavy mace still in hand, not bothering to wipe off the squished bug.



Galon slides the bug off his spine and follows 5ft behind frank



Chauser looks around and tries to see what the rubble is funneling people away from.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

  • Honorary Mod
  • *****
  • Posts: 661
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: Mice in a Maze
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2012, 03:47:40 PM »
"Careful!  It might be a trap to keep people in a straight line toward da doors for an ambush or somethin!"



(click to show/hide)



"Chasuer, do you want to search da door on da left?"



Chauser flips a coin!

1d2=1]Heads![/url]

Sure, that seems like an excellent idea!

Chauser checks for traps, and then throws upon the door with reckoned abandon.

(click to show/hide)



(click to show/hide)

As Chauser walks through the door, the area is gripped violent movement. Clouds of dust fall from the ceiling obscuring vision, and loud rumbles, thuds and cracking can be heard from all around.



Everybody out NOW!



As soon as the ceiling starts to collapse Dalanath snaps out of his moping haze, turns around, and flees.



Terek exits the room fast!

"Damn, Chauser!  Next time spend a little more time, or somethin!"
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage