Author Topic: Fun Finds v7.0 - Now with +15% more reposts!  (Read 74469 times)

Offline Nanashi

  • Full Member
  • **
  • Posts: 117
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds v7.0 - Now with +15% more reposts!
« Reply #680 on: July 10, 2019, 04:44:01 PM »
Arms and Equipment Guide page 39 introduces basic rules for supply and demand.

Kanto's Lament from Enemies and Allies is a magic sailing ship that flies at over double (40.9 MPH vs. 20 MPH) the speed of an Eberron airship, is bigger on the inside than outside, provides high quality foodstuffs and Unseen Servants for crew/passangers, has some magic balista, armor and ability to Plane Shift once a week. Crafting rules are included. Costs a bit over double a normal airship, but holds five times the cargo (only double with Stormwrack) at double the speed and no need for mark of storms. I think this is the only unique crunch in the entire book aside from the notorious Wrathful Healing.

Offline Arz

  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • ***
  • Posts: 552
  • New season
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds v7.0 - Now with +15% more reposts!
« Reply #681 on: July 13, 2019, 02:41:07 PM »
Heroic Metamagic + Sudden Maximize (or others) is weird.

Either its all day long for 0 AP; or 1/day free, then 1 AP for each additional use. The sudden feats don't technically fall within the reduction restrictions of the 2nd paragraph.

Offline redking

  • Lurker
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds v7.0 - Now with +15% more reposts!
« Reply #682 on: July 15, 2019, 08:01:28 AM »
Inscribe Rune + Runecaster Prestige Class + Chameleon Crafting + psion.

Everything in this Runecaster handbook is possible, AND you can make psionic runes via chameleon crafting.

Offline redking

  • Lurker
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds v7.0 - Now with +15% more reposts!
« Reply #683 on: July 21, 2019, 07:51:30 PM »
The Thrall of Fraz-Urb'luu from Dragon Magazine #333 has a remarkable ability. People have often commented on its capstone ability, Alter Reality before, and it's good, but the 5th level ability Staff Mastery, is even better.

Quote
Staff Mastery (Ex): Upon reaching 5th level, you have mastered the use of magic staffs in emulation of your demonic master's skill with these potent magic items. You can now wield any magic staff, as if it were a +1 greatclub, at no risk of causing the staff itself damage. In addition, the staff is treated as an evil weapon for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. You are considered to be proficient with the staff for this purpose.

You can use any magic staff as if its spells were on your spell list. Additionally, you may opt to activate a staff using your own lifeforce rather than expending charges. For each charge that the staff activation would normally consume, you instead take 1 point of Constitution damage. If you don't have a Constitution score, or are for some reason immune to ability score damage, you cannot power a staff with this ability and must use the staffs charges to manifest its spells.

Take a level of binder to bind Naberius to get Faster Ability Healing to heal your constitution damage, and you have unlimited ability to expend charges from staffs.

Where the real power is shown is when the staff contains a spell that normally requires XP expenditure. Staff of true creation? Staff of simulacrum? Staff of whatever you want now that you are a virtual god?

You can enter at 7th level at the earliest, and must be chaotic evil (perhaps your your DM will allow you a different alignment adaption). Whether the DM will throw the players handbook at you for deploying this PrC is another matter altogether.

Offline Nanashi

  • Full Member
  • **
  • Posts: 117
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds v7.0 - Now with +15% more reposts!
« Reply #684 on: July 22, 2019, 03:13:41 AM »
Just realized gaining immunity to non-lethal damage means you don't need food or water because you need to take non-lethal damage from starvation/thirst to take penalties. Now is there any way to get immunity to non-lethal without explicitly also gaining the not needing to need thing?

Edit: Holy Sword destroys artifacts
Quote
If this spell is cast on a magic weapon, the powers of the spell supersede any that the weapon normally has, rendering the normal enhancement bonus and powers of the weapon inoperative for the duration of the spell.
Works in PF too.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 03:53:37 PM by Nanashi »

Offline Kremlin K.O.A.

  • Lurker
  • *
  • Posts: 43
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds v7.0 - Now with +15% more reposts!
« Reply #685 on: October 02, 2019, 12:24:41 AM »
PFSRD has erratad Holy Sword to not work on artifacts :(

Correction. I checked the 3.5 PHB it also has the 'No Artifacts" clause.

Offline Nanashi

  • Full Member
  • **
  • Posts: 117
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds v7.0 - Now with +15% more reposts!
« Reply #686 on: October 09, 2019, 12:42:57 AM »
Aw/oops...

Found Mark of Twelve Moons in Dragonmarked. If you have least and lesser dragonmark feats (Very good feats) you gain a +1 inherent bonus to one of two ability scores (depending on the mark). That's an epic feat.

Edit: Animated Series Handbook is primarily known for the energy bow, but there's a second useful artifact in it: The Hat of Many Spells.

The 25,000 GP hat provides material components for any spell up to 1000 GP. That alone is pretty nifty, but it can also Empower an unlimited number of spells per day* and lets you covert any wizard spell to any spell of that level or lower.

*With a chance 1/3rd chance of eating the spell and casting rod of wonder effect and 1/3rd chance of working but causing a rod of wonder effect (Isn't there some Rod of Wonder support that would boost this?).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 08:55:45 PM by Nanashi »

Offline snakeman830

  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • ****
  • Posts: 1065
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds v7.0 - Now with +15% more reposts!
« Reply #687 on: October 20, 2019, 12:28:01 AM »
*With a chance 1/3rd chance of eating the spell and casting rod of wonder effect and 1/3rd chance of working but causing a rod of wonder effect (Isn't there some Rod of Wonder support that would boost this?).
Closest is Wild Mages, since they get to roll twice and pick which result they want.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

  • Epic Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 7527
  • (un-) Amazingly Unproductive
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds v7.0 - Now with +15% more reposts!
« Reply #688 on: October 20, 2019, 03:42:50 PM »

... Animated Series Handbook is primarily known for the energy bow, but there's a second useful artifact in it: The Hat of Many Spells.

The 25,000 GP hat provides material components for any spell up to 1000 GP. That alone is pretty nifty, but it can also Empower an unlimited number of spells per day* and lets you covert any wizard spell to any spell of that level or lower.

*With a chance 1/3rd chance of eating the spell and casting rod of wonder effect and 1/3rd chance of working but causing a rod of wonder effect (Isn't there some Rod of Wonder support that would boost this?).

1000 gp covers just about everything with an expensive component yes?

Is the random/bad effect on both Empower and "converting" ; or is it just the Empower part?
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Skyrock

  • Sr. Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 483
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds v7.0 - Now with +15% more reposts!
« Reply #689 on: October 20, 2019, 04:08:10 PM »
*With a chance 1/3rd chance of eating the spell and casting rod of wonder effect and 1/3rd chance of working but causing a rod of wonder effect (Isn't there some Rod of Wonder support that would boost this?).
Wild Mage 3 lets you roll twice for Rod of Wonder effects (and similar magic items using random tables) and pick the result you like better.

Offline Nanashi

  • Full Member
  • **
  • Posts: 117
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds v7.0 - Now with +15% more reposts!
« Reply #690 on: October 20, 2019, 07:24:45 PM »

... Animated Series Handbook is primarily known for the energy bow, but there's a second useful artifact in it: The Hat of Many Spells.

The 25,000 GP hat provides material components for any spell up to 1000 GP. That alone is pretty nifty, but it can also Empower an unlimited number of spells per day* and lets you covert any wizard spell to any spell of that level or lower.

*With a chance 1/3rd chance of eating the spell and casting rod of wonder effect and 1/3rd chance of working but causing a rod of wonder effect (Isn't there some Rod of Wonder support that would boost this?).

1000 gp covers just about everything with an expensive component yes?

Is the random/bad effect on both Empower and "converting" ; or is it just the Empower part?

Raise Dead line is the main thing I can think of. It doesn't appear to have any class restrictions, but its written as part of Presto's stats block despite the cost so there's some unusual wording.

Random effect is very explicitly on both converting and empowering sadly. The components don't seem to have a misfire chance though. Hat isn't clear how effects that target where the rod is pointing/targeting work. Looking at Rod of Wonder effects, you have a 99% chance of not being harmed or suffering very minimal harm (Reduce Person, Faerie Fire) as long as you can keep the rod pointed in a safe direction when using it, only problem is that 1% chance to permanently change color (and dispel might fix that). This gives an almost 2/3rds chance of having it work out of combat, though I can't think of much other than Stoneskin and resist/protection from energy that's that useful for.