Author Topic: Magic Ammunition  (Read 1742 times)

Offline muktidata

• Ephesians 2
    • View Profile
Magic Ammunition
« on: June 04, 2016, 05:01:06 PM »
Q. Where is it explicitly stated or otherwise infer-able that ammunition counts as a "weapon" for enchanting with special abilities (not just +X). In the SRD, it states that weapons are divided into two categories: melee or ranged. The only reference to ammunition counting as a "weapon" for the purposes of crafting it in any special way is special materials:

Quote from: SRD
A weapon or a kind of ammunition may be made of an unusual material. Roll d%: 01-95 indicates that the item is of a standard sort, and 96-100 indicates that it is made of a special material.

Otherwise, the SRD (DMG) only talks about magical arrows with literal numeric enhancements. In the actual arrows entry, it states that they can be used as an improvised melee weapon, but we're erring on the reserved side of things  for the purposes of this post where a DM will not allow you to have a chair, candle stick, etc. enchanted as a melee weapon.

So where can I find some examples of +1 Frost arrows or +3 Magebane maybe in a monster or sample character entry? Where can I find a more specific statement about ammunition being enchanted? I know that 99% of the CharOp community deduces that because it's not explicitly stated that arrows can't be enchanted with special abilities that they can, but let's assume for the duration of this thread that we're viewing things the other way around.

There may be a super simple answer right in the SRD that I'm missing, so sorry in advance.
I appreciate the logical, cool-headed responses and the lack of profanity displayed by our community.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Ammunition
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 05:41:44 PM »
Ammunition is listed as a subset of weapon categories - melee and ranged weapons.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 06:31:59 PM »
As well backed up by Arrows and other Ammunitions actually being listed on the Weapon Descriptions chart

Offline muktidata

• Ephesians 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 07:55:50 PM »
I appreciate the logical, cool-headed responses and the lack of profanity displayed by our community.